Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
destinationnc
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 am

Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by destinationnc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:14 pm

I've been looking to get Mac Office 2016 as a download rather than paying a monthly fee. A quick check on Amazon and it's more than $200. When I looked on Ebay there are multiple sellers at less than $10. Below are some of the notes from the seller - and it's good on 5 devices. Ebay is showing over 1,900 sold. The weird one is that you can't use your email, but why would I even want to associate my email with Office? Is this a scam or a good legit deal?

THERE IS NO PRODUCT KEY/CODE WITH THIS SOFTWARE.
YOU WILL ONLY GET ACCOUNT DETAILS & INSTRUCTIONS TO DOWNLOAD & INSTALL THE SOFTWARE TO YOUR DEVICE OF CHOICE.
This is a fully legal legitimate software. You can update as normal.
This is a NEW account. There is no CD or key or serial code! This cannot be used to renew an existing subscription
You cannot use your own email for this. I will send you a username and password for your new account with instructions on how to install.

mchampse
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:45 am

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by mchampse » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:22 pm

destinationnc wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:14 pm
I've been looking to get Mac Office 2016 as a download rather than paying a monthly fee. A quick check on Amazon and it's more than $200. When I looked on Ebay there are multiple sellers at less than $10. Below are some of the notes from the seller - and it's good on 5 devices. Ebay is showing over 1,900 sold. The weird one is that you can't use your email, but why would I even want to associate my email with Office? Is this a scam or a good legit deal?

THERE IS NO PRODUCT KEY/CODE WITH THIS SOFTWARE.
YOU WILL ONLY GET ACCOUNT DETAILS & INSTRUCTIONS TO DOWNLOAD & INSTALL THE SOFTWARE TO YOUR DEVICE OF CHOICE.
This is a fully legal legitimate software. You can update as normal.
This is a NEW account. There is no CD or key or serial code! This cannot be used to renew an existing subscription
You cannot use your own email for this. I will send you a username and password for your new account with instructions on how to install.
If it sounds too good to be true...I fell for something similar on eBay. You can always buy and then dispute the purchase it if ends up not being legit.

SimonJester
Posts: 1656
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by SimonJester » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Highly doubt this is legal. Best case this is for the software media only and you need a valid license and CD key to install. Worse case its illegal software and you are being scammed.

So why not call Microsoft and Ask

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/piracy/default.aspx


"You cannot use your own email for this. I will send you a username and password for your new account with instructions on how to install."

No why would I ever touch this...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

destinationnc
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 am

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by destinationnc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:39 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 pm
Highly doubt this is legal. Best case this is for the software media only and you need a valid license and CD key to install. Worse case its illegal software and you are being scammed.

So why not call Microsoft and Ask

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/piracy/default.aspx


"You cannot use your own email for this. I will send you a username and password for your new account with instructions on how to install."

No why would I ever touch this...
Funny that you said to call them - I followed the link to the online reporting form and it leads to this message:

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer available.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/piracy/ ... fault.aspx

JohnFiscal
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:28 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by JohnFiscal » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:39 pm

My SO bought an Office 2007 CD-ROM install for me recently. I had a new laptop and did not want to "move up" to Office 2016 at that time. The CD-ROM was bought from Amazon.

SO installed (rather tried) for me after having some problems...had to do some legwork because the new laptop didn't have a CD drive, so the installer had to be downloaded from Microsoft. It installed but the license number was not recognized by Microsoft, so it installed as a trial version.

I first noticed that the CD case was not a regular software-type case (the "jewel boxes") but more like a DVD case (I guess this shouldn't have raised an issue because even my own software company uses the DVD style case).

But there was no Microsoft hologram label on the case. Another red flag. Oh, yes, the seller said the case was not original. But then how would the Microsoft label have been moved?

After further inspection I realized there was a misspelled word on the "Official" Microsoft label. I don't recall what word but it was plainly obvious.

And my SO got her money back. The seller made conflicting remarks "it was one-off sale, it was their own software from some time back" but "no one else had complained that the CD did not install" (so, how many other people have you sold these CDs to?)

Eventually I did purchase Office 365 and installed on my laptop. I elected to go with the annual subscription rather than outright purchase because the subscription provides updates as long as I subscribe. But if this had not installed locally (I mean, if it had been a web-based app) I would not have purchased as I am a heavy user of Excel and Access and wanted these locally installed.

Now that I have the legitimate license for Office 365 the Office 2007 runs as well in full mode, not trial. Interesting thing is that the owner is identified as a university. I use it anyway (since my license permits running older versions whilst on the same hardware), I switch back and forth all the time between Excel 2007 and the newer version.

All this to say that it was illegitimate software that was purchased. that the guy was selling.

Probably the case for most software sold second-hand like this.

Personally I wouldn't buy stuff like that, too much risk of viruses, malware, etc.

SRenaeP
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 pm

I wouldn't risk it. Too many red flags. If you or a family member either work for a megacorp or are a student, you can most likely get a legal version for ~$10 through Microsoft's Home Use Program.

-Stephanie

destinationnc
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 am

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by destinationnc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Found this in another sellers description. Is the below statement true or most likely false - I'm curious why Ebay would continue to allow this if it's not legit?


This listing has been legally verified to ensure it does not violate any law or eBay policy.
This product does NOT infringe on any copyright, Trademark, or any other rights, or any of eBay's listing policies or spam policies.
We own and are entitled to sell each item, these are legally acquired therefore entitled to sell each item.
This item is not unauthorized.
This is not a digitally delivered Item.
I have and maintain the right to sell/resell this license, which forms part of an academic license, under the first-sale doctrine.

It is legal to resell this license and the sale is in conformity with the EU Directive 2009/24/EC.

runner3081
Posts: 1674
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by runner3081 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:07 pm

destinationnc wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:55 pm
Found this in another sellers description. Is the below statement true or most likely false - I'm curious why Ebay would continue to allow this if it's not legit?


This listing has been legally verified to ensure it does not violate any law or eBay policy.
This product does NOT infringe on any copyright, Trademark, or any other rights, or any of eBay's listing policies or spam policies.
We own and are entitled to sell each item, these are legally acquired therefore entitled to sell each item.
This item is not unauthorized.
This is not a digitally delivered Item.
I have and maintain the right to sell/resell this license, which forms part of an academic license, under the first-sale doctrine.

It is legal to resell this license and the sale is in conformity with the EU Directive 2009/24/EC.
This is somewhat common for cheap software keys (no key needed, but it is basically embedded in the program).

Though the seller is correct about reselling being legal, it violates the agreement he has with the software manufacturer on how to use the licenses.

To be honest, it should be just fine... BUT, if the manufacturer discovers that someone has been selling the license in violation of their policies, they will simply shut it down and you will no longer have a program or any recourse.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by Pajamas » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:08 pm

It's probably a foreign, academic license or similar. Definitely gray market if not black market. Check the negative seller ratings to see if you can get any hints.

Doug E. Dee
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by Doug E. Dee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:18 pm

SRenaeP wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 pm
I wouldn't risk it. Too many red flags. If you or a family member either work for a megacorp or are a student, you can most likely get a legal version for ~$10 through Microsoft's Home Use Program.

-Stephanie
Agreed. We have this program at work which is a very good deal. Probably why you have to use an email provided by the seller.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2292
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:25 pm

I strongly suspect it is not a legal version, and may not be fully functional.

Nummerkins
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by Nummerkins » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:47 pm

What they are selling is academic versions of the software. You can usually only get these as part of a school/university's license agreement with Microsoft so right there is a license violation.

They are also selling complete Microsoft accounts with the software tied to it. That is why they don't give you key and you cannot use it to extend a current subscription.

Will they work? Sure... until they don't. Get a legit copy... these are not.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 5889
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:26 pm

As soon as you see "install on up to 5 computers" what you're getting is Office365, not the perpetual/permanent license of Office. The permanent license covers only one computer. And as others have said, they're probably reselling an Office365 download, which is why you can't enter your own email address for it. The legality of such reselling is questionable, but the more important thing is you said you didn't want a subscription and Office365 is a subscription.

Since you want a permanent license, $150-200 sounds about right (depending on if you need Outlook or not). If you don't need Outlook, get the home/student version (around $150). If you do need Outlook, get the home office/business version (around $200). Do not pay for the full professional version (around $400), as that adds Access and Publisher, which do not work on a Mac.

core4portfolio
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by core4portfolio » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:33 pm

destinationnc wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:14 pm
I've been looking to get Mac Office 2016 as a download rather than paying a monthly fee. A quick check on Amazon and it's more than $200. When I looked on Ebay there are multiple sellers at less than $10. Below are some of the notes from the seller - and it's good on 5 devices. Ebay is showing over 1,900 sold. The weird one is that you can't use your email, but why would I even want to associate my email with Office? Is this a scam or a good legit deal?

THERE IS NO PRODUCT KEY/CODE WITH THIS SOFTWARE.
YOU WILL ONLY GET ACCOUNT DETAILS & INSTRUCTIONS TO DOWNLOAD & INSTALL THE SOFTWARE TO YOUR DEVICE OF CHOICE.
This is a fully legal legitimate software. You can update as normal.
This is a NEW account. There is no CD or key or serial code! This cannot be used to renew an existing subscription
You cannot use your own email for this. I will send you a username and password for your new account with instructions on how to install.
Iam not sure on ebay seller but its possible to get the MS OFFICE for $10 if you work for some large employers.
I personally have this deal from microsoft and most of my collegues used that. So $10 MS Office is possible deal but not sure on seller

Below is previous article but valid even now through employer but ebay at your own risk
https://lifehacker.com/get-microsoft-of ... 1596964176
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

User avatar
M6WIQ
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:17 am
Location: Ormskirk, Lancashire, UK
Contact:

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by M6WIQ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:53 pm

A lot of the Ebay Listings are the result of two things:

1) Licenses that are 'peeled off' new Computers that IT Guys then sell on eBay as they tend to wipe over them with their own Licensed copy of Windows/Office so they are of no use to their Companies.

2) Licenses that are retrieved and sold from Defective Motherboards. The legal Caveat (At least in the UK) is that you are also 'buying' the motherboard with the exception that the seller will only allow it to be collected from them if you so desire to have a broken motherboard...
-- | Please Phone after 6PM when I have gone home.

rennale
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 am

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by rennale » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Unless you need Outlook, why not choose Home & Student rather than Home & Business?

Microsoft Office Home and Student for Mac (download) is currently $115 on Amazon. Provides Excel, Word, Powerpoint and OneNote. Full license with no monthly subscription.

THY4373
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by THY4373 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:33 pm

You might want to check if your employer has a deal with Microsoft that allows employees to buy Office as a discount. At my employer an MS Office Install (Mac or Windows) good for three installs I believe is $19.95 or $39.95 if you want the DVD. That is the only reason I still run Office at home.

destinationnc
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 am

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by destinationnc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone - it looks like the home edition will suit my needs. As far the reselling of it being Office 2016 versus Office 365, I came across this website that helps you manage reselling Office 365. Is this basically what the Ebay guys are doing?

https://www.sherweb.com/resell-office-365/

How to video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHkweJVppNs

Helo80
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by Helo80 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Hmm.... for $8.99, I may buy just to see what these guys are doing.

My suspicion is that they have a backdoor (not hacking) into getting discounted MS volume licenses that are supposed to be given to charities, non-profits (animal shelters, not NCAA) and other like minded orgs. I have known sysadmins for charities that have MS Office365 licenses out the *** because MS gave them a bulk account for 1000 accounts on the azure cloud when all they needed was like 20 email addresses. That's why this outfit will not take your personal email Yourname@BogleHead.org and give you an account from that.

Odds are, the $9 fee will get you 100% legitimate Microsoft code and updates... but the legality of the license is likely not there as you're not an intended recipient. The normal fee from MS for a MS Office 365 with five clients and 1 TB of storage (I think 1 tb) is $10/month.

finite_difference
Posts: 1044
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by finite_difference » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:25 pm

If you are worried about spending $105 for Microsoft Office Home and Student, checkout LibreOffice. Free and much better than using a bootleg/illegitimate version of Microsoft Office since you really want to make sure you have access to security updates.

You can also checkout Google Docs.

But if you can afford the $115 I would buy the retail copy of MS Office. It’s a good product.
Last edited by finite_difference on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

finite_difference
Posts: 1044
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by finite_difference » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:28 pm

rennale wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm
Unless you need Outlook, why not choose Home & Student rather than Home & Business?

Microsoft Office Home and Student for Mac (download) is currently $115 on Amazon. Provides Excel, Word, Powerpoint and OneNote. Full license with no monthly subscription.
And $105 for PC! Not too bad of an upsell though.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

fishboat
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by fishboat » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:54 am

Some Googling legwork will indicate these sales, if originating in EU, are legit. Though I don't doubt there's some bogus ones tossed in..such is the nature of ebay. If an ebayer has hundreds, thousands of sales like these, and their reviews are excellent, then I'm thinking things are ok. I used these guidelines.

USA has restrictions on software re-selling, as described in the USA EULA, that EU doesn't allow. In EU, if you own the software, you're allowed to resell it, as long as other EULA conditions are met(original machine-install is no longer in use..).

I recently upgraded an older laptop running XP to Win 7 Pro via software purchased from the UK for around $7. The software had a license key included. I downloaded it, asked a question of the seller, they got back to me right away, I installed it, entered the key, it registered without issue..done.

They say if it doesn't register electronically, then call MS and register it personally..the key is good. I didn't need to follow this route.

letsgobobby
Posts: 11647
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 am

fishboat wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:54 am
Some Googling legwork will indicate these sales, if originating in EU, are legit. Though I don't doubt there's some bogus ones tossed in..such is the nature of ebay. If an ebayer has hundreds, thousands of sales like these, and their reviews are excellent, then I'm thinking things are ok. I used these guidelines.

USA has restrictions on software re-selling, as described in the USA EULA, that EU doesn't allow. In EU, if you own the software, you're allowed to resell it, as long as other EULA conditions are met(original machine-install is no longer in use..).

I recently upgraded an older laptop running XP to Win 7 Pro via software purchased from the UK for around $7. The software had a license key included. I downloaded it, asked a question of the seller, they got back to me right away, I installed it, entered the key, it registered without issue..done.

They say if it doesn't register electronically, then call MS and register it personally..the key is good. I didn't need to follow this route.
I am looking at a similar listing for a PC based Office 2016. All positive reviews. It seems from my googling that, as you said, reselling from the EU is legal. However, this particular seller is located in the US, so... ??

tibbitts
Posts: 8050
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Mac Office 2016 download on Ebay - how so cheap?

Post by tibbitts » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:32 am

I blame Microsoft for this. Hopefully nobody condones using software illegally, but with Microsoft and many other commercial software licenses, you need a team of attorneys to determine what you can and can't do with the product. You can be trying to be in compliance, but unknowingly not be.

As for calling Microsoft: seriously?

Post Reply