New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater
Posts: 1991
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by CULater » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 am

Toyota debuts the redesigned RAV4 at NY Auto show, and I like what I see so far. Thanks that the ugly gaping fishmouth grille is absent. Toyota is finally getting on-board with Apple CarPlay but for some reason Android Auto isn't available. Engine is conventional inline 4 with no experimental turbo, and a conventional geared transmission. Ahhhhhhh. Some competition for the CRV, which is having engine problems with gas getting into the oil pan and CVT transmission. I'll be looking to dump my new CRV and I'll be looking hard at the RAV4 when it goes on sale.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/r ... ok-review/
Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~ John Kenneth Galbraith

fittan
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by fittan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:31 am

not bad....love the new CRV but the oil dilution problem could be a big problem.

Random Poster
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Random Poster » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:39 am

Looks a tad Subaru-esque to me.

Perhaps the love child of a Subie and a Ford EcoSport even...

jebmke
Posts: 9205
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by jebmke » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 am

I have a 2008 RAV4 with the swing-out rear hatch (and spare mounted outside) instead of the flip up. I plan to hold onto it as long as possible.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ncbill
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by ncbill » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 am

LED headlights standard on all trim levels?

Hybrid includes AWD-i, does that include torque vectoring?

EDIT: yeah, looks a lot like the Crosstrek now...

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 4038
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by lthenderson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:06 am

We have a '15 RAV4 and a '17 Sienna and they both have the overhanging plastic piece over the rear window (as does the '19 RAV4) that prevents one from cleaning the entire rear window with a squeegee. I have never understood the reasoning for that overhang, especially on gravel roads when it essentially funnels dust onto the rear window.

H-Town
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by H-Town » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:19 am

CULater wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 am
I'll be looking to dump my new CRV and I'll be looking hard at the RAV4 when it goes on sale.
Just like that? You make people who buy an used luxury cars every 7 years look frugal.

littlebird
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by littlebird » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:22 am

The article cited says that: "The outgoing 2.5-iiter inline-four has been replaced with Toyota’s all-new Dynamic Force 2.5-liter I-4 with direct and port injection and VVT-iE. In the Camry the engine generates 203 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque, so expect similar numbers here. The six-speed automatic is replaced with an eight-speed."

Possibly that will be an improvement over an engine which, although adequate for a Camry, felt seriously under-powered to me in the RAV4. And I'm a mid-70's grandma who keeps to local roads.

littlebird
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by littlebird » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:28 am

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:06 am
We have a '15 RAV4 and a '17 Sienna and they both have the overhanging plastic piece over the rear window (as does the '19 RAV4) that prevents one from cleaning the entire rear window with a squeegee. I have never understood the reasoning for that overhang, especially on gravel roads when it essentially funnels dust onto the rear window.
It serves the same type of purpose that the pointy front end of your power-boat serves. It enhances the aerodynamics of the vehicle, giving lift to the airflow and preventing the heavy deposit of dirt to the rear window which occurs in the absence of the plastic piece, which is called a "spoiler". My '00 Sienna didn't have one, and clearing the rear window of red desert dust was a daily chore, although I drove only on well-paved roads. My '14 Sienna did have one (I wouldn't have bought it without one) and the difference was extreme.

DesertDiva
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: In the desert

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by DesertDiva » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:39 am

jebmke wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 am
I have a 2008 RAV4 with the swing-out rear hatch (and spare mounted outside) instead of the flip up. I plan to hold onto it as long as possible.
Smart! I’m also hanging on to my older RAV4 with low miles.

Broadway2018
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Broadway2018 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Definitely looks similar to a Subaru

Y.A.Tittle
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:43 pm

Looks like the Highlander went to a sheetmetal oragami class.

Very happy with my 2018 RAV, including its looks. I would be curious to see the interior of this one. Some car makers are throwing dozens of buttons into cars- to the point of confusion.

User avatar
msi
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by msi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Is the bright orange trim in the interior an option, or all the models will have that? It's the main thing I don't like about the interior.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Why not wait until you know sure that 2019 will NOT have any problems? It is not as if Toyota had never delivered vehicles which later discovered to have chronic issues. If you ware getting out of one manufacturer, you owe yourself to make sure the new model from the other manufacturer has no kink.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9365
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:25 pm

The back looks fantastic. The front looks like they gave up and decided to throw a Tundra front end on it. While better than the bow tie, I'd give it 5 ugly sticks for the front end design. I gotta think the design teams were divided into front/side/back and were never allowed to talk to each other ever. Then another team put the 3 together.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

fittan
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by fittan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:29 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 am
I have a 2008 RAV4 with the swing-out rear hatch (and spare mounted outside) instead of the flip up. I plan to hold onto it as long as possible.
That's my car too! One of the "best" financial decisions I made. 135K and going strong.

User avatar
goingup
Posts: 3560
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by goingup » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:29 pm

That's a good looking vehicle. I'll be ready for a new SUV in 2019 and that will be on my list of contenders. Thanks for posting.

fittan
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by fittan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 pm

msi wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:17 pm
Is the bright orange trim in the interior an option, or all the models will have that? It's the main thing I don't like about the interior.
Ya....those orange stitching kind of bothers me too. Ok for a 20 year who wants to go fast and furious but for older folks, will probably get sick of it after a month.

Texanbybirth
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 pm

I think it looks great. I'm not a fan of the current RAV4 styling, especially in the back. And I like that Apple Carplay will be available.

As with the new Camry, Accord, and even previously the new CRV, I prefer to wait one year after a major re-design to let the market digest it and reveal any glaring flaws. With this particular new release, I will probably have saved enough by then (2020) to possibly afford it! :D
"Knowledge and innocence are both excellent things, and they are both very funny. But it is right that knowledge should be the servant and innocence the master." - GK Chesterton

Arinbjorn
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am
Location: Machesney Park IL

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Arinbjorn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Interesting. We are looking to replace an old high mileage vehicles in a few years. Sort of browsing Toyota RAV4, Subaru Forester, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5. Got a year or two to save and digest the new unveilings, maybe I can snag a certified used one of these new models with low mileage.

I'd ideally like to buy a vehicle and drive it 15+ years if possible, so Toyota seems indicated...

jeff1949
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Salem, OR

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by jeff1949 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 pm
I think it looks great. I'm not a fan of the current RAV4 styling, especially in the back. And I like that Apple Carplay will be available.

As with the new Camry, Accord, and even previously the new CRV, I prefer to wait one year after a major re-design to let the market digest it and reveal any glaring flaws. With this particular new release, I will probably have saved enough by then (2020) to possibly afford it! :D
Yes, 2020 has a nice "ring" to it for me.

I currently own a 1998 RAV-4 2-door with only 90K miles on it.
Last edited by jeff1949 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

02nz
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by 02nz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:18 pm

As with seemingly all these cars each generation gets bigger. The RAV4 is now about as big as the Highlander was in its first generation (until the 2007 model year). Agree that the new one looks better than the current, rather garish design. Toyota looks to be toning down some of the weird angles and other styling excesses seen for example with the Prius; the new RAV4 and Corolla hatchback are both much better-executed in styling IMO.

heyyou
Posts: 3441
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by heyyou » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:23 pm

As noted by others, it is often better to let new engines get tested by the public for a year or two before buying one. Thank you to the OP for posting about the '19 model. With 220K miles on my RAV4, I too am expecting to need another one soon.

researcher
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by researcher » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:30 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:18 pm
As with seemingly all these cars each generation gets bigger.
The overall length of the 2019 model actually shrinks by 2.6 inches, compared to the current generation.

montanagirl
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Montana

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by montanagirl » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:34 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 am
I have a 2008 RAV4 with the swing-out rear hatch (and spare mounted outside) instead of the flip up. I plan to hold onto it as long as possible.

I have the 1999 and love the swing-out door. A 2-part swing-out door would be even better.

The new small SUV's all look the same to me. And yeah, the wheel base just gets longer and longer. The old original Rav4 has a nimble jeep-like feel to it.

edit: just saw above about length. Surprising development!

markcoop
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:36 am

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by markcoop » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Interesting how it has Apple Carplay and not Android Auto. My wife has an Apple and I have an Android. So, if I care about that, it may be a concern. Then again, not sure how important Apple Carplay and Android Auto are in cars. I have heard people say they would not buy a car without them. I am currently considering two cars where one of the cars has both and the other has neither.
Mark

jebmke
Posts: 9205
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by jebmke » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:07 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:34 pm
jebmke wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 am
I have a 2008 RAV4 with the swing-out rear hatch (and spare mounted outside) instead of the flip up. I plan to hold onto it as long as possible.

I have the 1999 and love the swing-out door. A 2-part swing-out door would be even better.

The new small SUV's all look the same to me. And yeah, the wheel base just gets longer and longer. The old original Rav4 has a nimble jeep-like feel to it.

edit: just saw above about length. Surprising development!
I've had car sales people offer to buy it from me -- for their personal use. They love the swing door and the external spare and wish Toyota hadn't made the change.

Mine is a V6 with 4WD and towing package. I can practically climb trees with it. Not the most comfortable riding vehicle but I bought it so I can go confidently off the pavement in rural areas and get back.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

montanagirl
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Montana

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by montanagirl » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:43 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:07 pm
I've had car sales people offer to buy it from me -- for their personal use. They love the swing door and the external spare and wish Toyota hadn't made the change.

Mine is a V6 with 4WD and towing package. I can practically climb trees with it. Not the most comfortable riding vehicle but I bought it so I can go confidently off the pavement in rural areas and get back.

That model I would love to trade up for, but they're so hard to find! And how awesome it is to have a full size spare! I actually had to use it once too. Really comes in handy... :sharebeer

jebmke
Posts: 9205
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by jebmke » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:49 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:43 pm
And how awesome it is to have a full size spare!
I know. I've had donuts from our local donut shop bigger than some of the spares I've seen in newer cars. Some don't even come with spares. Try finding someone to help you out with no spare, no cell service and the nearest place to use a phone 10 miles away.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

canderson
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by canderson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:30 pm

We have a 2013 Rav4 Limited and next year will sell it fir a ew car, so was eager to see what the next generation would look like. It’s pretty good! We’ll buy the hybrid top of the line Rav4 or the Lexus NX hybrid - will have to drive both to decide if the Lexus IS worth the extra cash (I’m guessing not).

It looks light years better than the current 2018 Rav4, which they’ve diluted so much from my 2013 version of the same generation I think it’s plain, boring and the front end downright ugly.

Regarding buying first-year models, I’ve always done that with Toyota and had zero issues. They test everything - to a fault - before they get onto an assembly line there are seldom ever real issues like the CRV fuel problem going on now.

I dislike the two-tone color though, I hope I can opt out of it with the hybrid but 8m somewhat doubtful.

canderson
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by canderson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:31 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:30 pm
02nz wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:18 pm
As with seemingly all these cars each generation gets bigger.
The overall length of the 2019 model actually shrinks by 2.6 inches, compared to the current generation.
And it’s a whole .4” wider and about 1.5” less tall.

02nz
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by 02nz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:12 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:30 pm
02nz wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:18 pm
As with seemingly all these cars each generation gets bigger.
The overall length of the 2019 model actually shrinks by 2.6 inches, compared to the current generation.
MotorTrend got that wrong. Per http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/ ... +nyias.htm: wheelbase +1.2 in., overall length -0.2 in., width +0.4 in., height -0.2 in. I grant, size is basically unchanged for this redesign.

vshun
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 am

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by vshun » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:26 pm

markcoop wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:44 pm
Interesting how it has Apple Carplay and not Android Auto. My wife has an Apple and I have an Android. So, if I care about that, it may be a concern. Then again, not sure how important Apple Carplay and Android Auto are in cars. I have heard people say they would not buy a car without them. I am currently considering two cars where one of the cars has both and the other has neither.
They do not know what they miss by not having it. I am day 1 reservation holder for Tesla who cancelled it when I realized they will never implement Android Auto. So Toyota is not even a consideration for me, bought Accord this week.
Its amazing to be liberated from their NAV system and run Google Maps or Waze and music being streamed from provider of your choice.

ncbill
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by ncbill » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:13 pm

fittan wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 pm
msi wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:17 pm
Is the bright orange trim in the interior an option, or all the models will have that? It's the main thing I don't like about the interior.
Ya....those orange stitching kind of bothers me too. Ok for a 20 year who wants to go fast and furious but for older folks, will probably get sick of it after a month.
I didn't notice that before.

So it really is a Subaru...the orange stitching is how Subaru differentiates their Premium trim-line from the base trim-line on all its models.

inbox788
Posts: 6388
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by inbox788 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:29 pm

ncbill wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:13 pm
So it really is a Subaru...the orange stitching is how Subaru differentiates their Premium trim-line from the base trim-line on all its models.
Maybe they're furthering their partnership...

Toyota expands partnership with Subaru parent Fuji
Toyota Motor toy will pay $311 million to raise its stake in Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries to 16.5%, and the two companies said Thursday that they will develop cars together.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=4627795&page=1

https://www.quora.com/How-did-Toyota-an ... e-same-car

Finridge
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Finridge » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:47 pm

Here we are almost a full year from when the original post in this thread was made, and there is still aren't any IIHS crash safety test ratings for the 2019 RAV4. There are ratings for all the main competitors (Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5, etc.) but nothing for the 2019 RAV4.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/cla ... small-suvs

For me this is a "deal killer" on the RAV4 because the 2018 model received a "poor" rating for a "small overlap front" collision on the passenger-side. I prioritize safety, so I would want to see that they remedied this issue in the 2019 issue before I buy it. Anyone know if where else to find crash safety information for the 2019 RAV4?

User avatar
msi
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by msi » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:00 am

Finridge wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:47 pm
Here we are almost a full year from when the original post in this thread was made, and there is still aren't any IIHS crash safety test ratings for the 2019 RAV4. There are ratings for all the main competitors (Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5, etc.) but nothing for the 2019 RAV4.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/cla ... small-suvs

For me this is a "deal killer" on the RAV4 because the 2018 model received a "poor" rating for a "small overlap front" collision on the passenger-side. I prioritize safety, so I would want to see that they remedied this issue in the 2019 issue before I buy it. Anyone know if where else to find crash safety information for the 2019 RAV4?
No NHTSA ratings, either. I don't know why this is taking so long?

RobLyons
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by RobLyons » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:39 am

Still seems a tad too small for a family of 4?

Currently our '14 Sienna is perfect in terms of price, seating, cargo for 2 young kids with friends and sports equipment, but understood they are 2 totally different vehicles.

One day maybe we will be in a different situation
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

GDBryan
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florida

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by GDBryan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:51 am

I sure hope they fixed the rough ride. Wife's 2014 Rav4 feels all the bumps and rough road.

andypanda
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by andypanda » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:51 am

The boxy wheel well openings are ugly, the fender flares are really ugly, the front end is better but still ugly. I gave up after seeing the exterior pics. What is it with Toyota; I bought my first one in '86 and their styling in, uh, interesting.

I have a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium with KDSS, so I think I'm qualified to be an expert on Toyota ugly. :annoyed

I bought it for towing boats and small trailers, and soft sand beach driving, and I'm very happy with it. I even like the red stitching on the black soft-tex seats. It almost matches the red exterior. And it's not orange. Whew.

montanagirl
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Montana

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by montanagirl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:11 am

[delete]

Sandi_k
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Sandi_k » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:02 am

Y.A.Tittle wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:43 pm
Looks like the Highlander went to a sheetmetal oragami class.

Very happy with my 2018 RAV, including its looks. I would be curious to see the interior of this one. Some car makers are throwing dozens of buttons into cars- to the point of confusion.
I've test driven both the traditional RAV4 and the hybrid now. The other contender for me was the Lexus NX 300h.

The RAV4 has some dials, and a dearth of buttons - unlike the Lexus, which is button-heavy on the dash.

The downside on the 2019 RAV4 hybrid: cruise control is no longer a stalk off the steering wheel: it is buttons on the wheel. :twisted:

Sandi_k
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Sandi_k » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:03 am

msi wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:17 pm
Is the bright orange trim in the interior an option, or all the models will have that? It's the main thing I don't like about the interior.
That is the Adventure trim interior, on the non-hybrid model. Not standard on other trims and models.

Sandi_k
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Sandi_k » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:05 am

markcoop wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:44 pm
Interesting how it has Apple Carplay and not Android Auto.
I read an interview with the Lexus designer, and they said their surveys showed that 80% of Lexus/Toyota buyers were Apple iPhone owners.So they didn't see a necessity to add Android Auto. At least, not yet....

Sandi_k
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Sandi_k » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:09 am

canderson wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:30 pm

I dislike the two-tone color though, I hope I can opt out of it with the hybrid but 8m somewhat doubtful.
You can. My understanding is that the two-tone option is the Adventure trim level, on the non-hybrid model.

Hamberders
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:42 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Hamberders » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:59 am

I think the new RAV4 looks dope. But I don't know if I'd buy one, because Toyota's AWD system is FWD-based and is garbage. The hybrid's traction is even worse. Look up videos of roller tests.

Finridge
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Finridge » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:35 am

Hamberders wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:59 am
I think the new RAV4 looks dope. But I don't know if I'd buy one, because Toyota's AWD system is FWD-based and is garbage. The hybrid's traction is even worse. Look up videos of roller tests.
I was just looking at these. Pretty bad.

Finridge
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by Finridge » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:38 am

Finridge wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:47 pm
Here we are almost a full year from when the original post in this thread was made, and there is still aren't any IIHS crash safety test ratings for the 2019 RAV4. There are ratings for all the main competitors (Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5, etc.) but nothing for the 2019 RAV4.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/cla ... small-suvs

For me this is a "deal killer" on the RAV4 because the 2018 model received a "poor" rating for a "small overlap front" collision on the passenger-side. I prioritize safety, so I would want to see that they remedied this issue in the 2019 issue before I buy it. Anyone know if where else to find crash safety information for the 2019 RAV4?
Since I made the post above, the IIHS ratings did come out. They fixed the "small overlap front" issue.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehic ... 4-door-suv
Last edited by Finridge on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomguy
Posts: 7706
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by randomguy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:05 am
markcoop wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:44 pm
Interesting how it has Apple Carplay and not Android Auto.
I read an interview with the Lexus designer, and they said their surveys showed that 80% of Lexus/Toyota buyers were Apple iPhone owners.So they didn't see a necessity to add Android Auto. At least, not yet....
They and Google are having a pissing war about customer data. Last I heard Android auto would be in some future versions.
It did cross the RAV4 off my lists of cars though.

And I don't think any of these compact SUVs(well maybe subarau and the upper trim jeeps) has good AWD. But what they have is adequate for most people's needs. You need to decide how much capability you want to buy.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2794
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: New 2019 RAV4 is now out - looks good

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:42 pm

Finridge wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:35 am
Hamberders wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:59 am
I think the new RAV4 looks dope. But I don't know if I'd buy one, because Toyota's AWD system is FWD-based and is garbage. The hybrid's traction is even worse. Look up videos of roller tests.
I was just looking at these. Pretty bad.
I think we're all aware that AWD is not a match for locked 4WD.

HOWEVER there is a different AWD system on the Adventure model. Is that any better than the standard??

Also- would be interested in opinions about seat comfort, this seems to be a concern in the reviews.

Post Reply