Getting Furniture into a Basement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:09 am

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Please Delete Thread. Wrong Forum
Last edited by SVariance1 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

Iliketoridemybike

Re: Getting Furniture into a Basement

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:19 am

Buy your furniture from Ikea. Most of it comes in a box and then you assemble it. Cushions are compressed as well.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:29 am

We just refinished a basement and are looking forward to getting some new furniture for it. However, the opening at the door is small. If you factor in the trim on the door, the width is only about 28 inches. I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions about how to get large furniture into a basement with a small door opening, without having to remove the trim?
Mike

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:32 am

That is a great idea. I put this topic into the wrong forum. I requested that it be deleted.
Mike

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:37 am

1. Take the door off.
2. Disassemble the furniture.
3. Don't buy large furniture.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:38 am

I originally posted this topic in the wrong forum. One reply suggested that I should get furniture from Ikea, which I think is a very good idea. Apparently, the furniture they sell comes in pieces.
Mike

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:47 am

Another option not mentioned is to make a functional door that's 30-36". I know, you just put in a door that's new but now it's causing you other headaches. Food for though.

IKEA was a good suggestion.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:07 am

LawEgr1 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:47 am
Another option not mentioned is to make a functional door that's 30-36". I know, you just put in a door that's new but now it's causing you other headaches. Food for though.

The door is not new. That would mean cutting back the walls, etc. I am not sure if I want to go in that direction.
Mike

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:28 am

Wow 28" is tight. My previous house was 30" for most doors and that caused a bunch of issues. Honestly buying assemble itself furniture like suggested in other thread is probably easiest/best if you can live with the design and quality (or lack thereof). Sectional furniture may or may not help here. I did once take a leather sleep sofa, remove the pull out bed, pulled back the upholstery cut the wood back, got through 30" door, repaired cut in wood, but upholstery back on and put sleep sofa mechanism back in on one sofa and it worked but I don't know that I would go through that again (it happened when we moved house and we already had the sofa from previous house.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:38 am

Our home has an outside stairwell leading to an exterior basement door. Very useful for patio furniture storage or other large items going to the basement. They did have to put a drain in at the landing. Small stuff goes via the inside stairwell, but I've never needed to disassemble anything to take it to the basement. When I burnt firewood it proved quite useful to avoid tracking the associated debris.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:21 am

Lots of higher quality furniture (better than IKEA) comes apart in sections these days. Our full sized leather couch breaks down into three sections and the backs of each section come off for a total of six pieces that one person can easily move and put back together. Same goes for the matching easy chairs which come apart into two pieces.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:50 am

Once you assemble it inside, you will have to disassemble it to get it out. Make sure you keep the directions to make the disassembly/reassembly easier.

If it were me I'd pay someone to swap out the door because I hate home improvement projects. But that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:56 am

SVariance1 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:29 am
. I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions about how to get large furniture into a basement with a small door opening, without having to remove the trim?
The only ways you are going to get something bigger than an opening through it are to enlarge the opening or make the item smaller or both.

Removing and replacing the trim one time is something you really should consider if there is a particular piece of furniture that you want to move into the basement.

Another option, as others have pointed out, is to buy furniture in pieces and then assemble it. You can also have furniture disassembled and then reassembled once it is in the basement. This is common with upholstered pieces in NYC and there are even companies that specifically provide that service, but you could probably find someone locally who makes and reupholsters furniture to handle it for you.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 am

SVariance1 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:07 am
LawEgr1 wrote:

The door is not new. That would mean cutting back the walls, etc. I am not sure if I want to go in that direction.
We don't have basements in our part of the country but have storage rooms and attics. As I think about the number of times we moved stuff in/out or up/down over the years -- the size of the door opening is a factor.

I would bite the bullet now and resize your door to a larger opening. I think otherwise you will be "kicking" yourself every time something will not fit through the door.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:00 am

SVariance1 wrote:
LawEgr1 wrote:

Enlarging the door is usually not practical. It would involve reframing the opening, disturbing sheetrock or plaster, etc. and can more difficult in a load bearing wall. Look for smaller furniture or sectionals that will fit.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 am

Just so you have all the options.

[Inflatable Furniture]

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:01 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 am

[Inflatable Furniture]

Too bad they didn't have those things around back when I was living in a dorm room. I would have been a lot more popular.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 am

[Inflatable Furniture]

I guess it is an option but it does not look like a good one.
Mike

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 am

I think Ikea might be the best idea for me.
Mike

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 am

SVariance1 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 am
I guess it is an option but it does not look like a good one.
I couldn't agree more. :)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:42 pm

SVariance1 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:32 am
That is a great idea. I put this topic into the wrong forum. I requested that it be deleted.
I merged post from your other thread into here.

Suggestion - Instead of deleting the content, just report the post using the "!" in the top-right corner of the post. One of the reasons is "Wrong forum". We'll move the thread for you.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:26 am

Google Home Reserve. I have made multiple purchases (sectional, chair, ottoman) and been very happy

Skiffy

Post by Skiffy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:44 am

Can you remove a basement window and get furniture thru that way? That’s how they moved couches in my MIL’s bi-level.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 am

SVariance1 wrote:
LawEgr1 wrote:

New or not, enlarging a door is an easy process so please keep that in mind. Unless it's a load bearing wall, which you can check easily. For you, it's a matter of convenience and cost. Convenience of having a door that wide opens all options for you, which is awesome. However, it'll cost you if you cannot DIY.

Estimated costs below:

Take out a stud? Check - DIY it's free
Light switch in the way? Reroute 18" (or where it's convenient) Check - DIY it's free
Cut drywall & Patch? Drywall saw, mud, mud knife, paint, check DIY cost of equipment noted is maybe ($7 + $3 + $4 + leftover paint + $3) = $17 w/ existing paint or plus paint costs.

I presume you have a vacuum, tape measure, iPhones have level gauges and internet for watching youtube.

Install new door wide enough for everything - > prehung solid core door (super nice) $250 + install cost of, say, $500. Otherwise, $250 DIY plus your time.

I'd do it for $100 for you. :)

Just wanted to reiterate it as it's the option that gets rid of all sorts of workarounds with sectional furniture, going through windows, etc.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:13 pm

Toadandfriends wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:26 am
Google Home Reserve. I have made multiple purchases (sectional, chair, ottoman) and been very happy
This seems to be a great option! You can customize far more than IKEA. Thank you
Mike

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:29 pm

However you get it down, think about how to get it back up and out when that day comes. I'm going through that now with old furniture that does not come apart. I could not figure out how we got it down the narrow hallway and down the steps as heavy as it is. Then I remembered I'm now 25 years older than when we got it down there.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:19 am
Buy your furniture from Ikea. Most of it comes in a box and then you assemble it. Cushions are compressed as well.
+1
Did the same thing. Worked out great. And saved a lot of money to boot.
j :D

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:45 am

Toadandfriends wrote:
How long did it take you to put the furniture together? I was expecting a to see a few parts with assembly required. However, when I looked at the videos, the assembly looked similar to that of a jigsaw puzzle.
Mike

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:45 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 pm
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
+1
How long does it take to assemble an IKEA sofa?
Mike

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:11 am

This will help you gain an appreciation of the effort involved with an IKEA sectional couch. Time-lapse video included.

https://www.younghouselove.com/2011/01/surprise/

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:40 am

Another vote for Ikea. It took me a while to like their whole schtick but I’ve come around to it. It suits the narrow door problem well. The Ikea stuff usually comes with very skimpy diagrams for assembly but anyone can figure it out with some patience—and assembling the furniture ends up being part of the experience.

Don’t expect “last you a lifetime” quality but then again, I think that’s an outdated concept. Who wants to live with the same exact furniture for a lifetime (except maybe for a few choice pieces)? And I guarantee your kids won’t want most of your furniture when you’re gone. Also, if you move a great enough distance, it could easily end up being cheaper to sell your furniture and buy new from Ikea (or used from goodwill, etc) on the other end than to pay movers.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:37 am

SVariance1 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:45 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
+1
I would figure on a couple of hours.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:11 am

SVariance1 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
+1
Fairly quickly with a rechargeable impact driver and a hex attachment.
Also use carpenters wood gloo for wood to wood attachments to make it "store bought" solid. IE: bed frames, cabinets, etc.

We have tons of IKEA furniture. 2 Leather sofas. etc. DW likes the style. I like the price.
Assembly Goes like this.
2 leather sofas. Less than 2 hours from unbox to finish.

Longer if DW helps.
Super longer if DS #2 helps + broken parts. :shock:
Effortless is DS #1 does all of it by himself.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:16 am

SVariance1 wrote:
We just refinished a basement and are looking forward to getting some new furniture for it. However, the opening at the door is small. If you factor in the trim on the door, the width is only about 28 inches. I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions about how to get large furniture into a basement with a small door opening, without having to remove the trim?
You can get a bit more clearance if you pop the 2 hinge pins and take the door off.

Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:21 am

SVariance1 wrote:
Toadandfriends wrote:
How long did it take you to put the furniture together? I was expecting a to see a few parts with assembly required. However, when I looked at the videos, the assembly looked similar to that of a jigsaw puzzle.
The chair and ottoman took maybe two hours- the sectional maybe four or five (one person). All my other furniture is IKEA and I like it as well. I have found Home Reserve directions much easier to follow. I think there would be two big deciding factors here- first, do you need or want to design your own layout to fit your room - if so, go with Home Reserve. The other bigger factor would be seat size and comfort- The modular IKEA sofa seats are too big for me to be comfortable and I found their smaller sofas to be really uncomfortable. Home Reserve is awesome for someone who wants a shorter seat and great back support. Awesome support and comfort if you are average size or have a slighter frame. Home reserve customer support is much much better and faster than IKEA of course.
Best,
Toadandfriends

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:21 pm

Enlarge the door, it's not that big of a deal even if it's load bearing. Pay someone to do it. 28 inches is ridiculously small.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:16 am
SVariance1 wrote:
You can get a bit more clearance if you pop the 2 hinge pins and take the door off.
The 28 inches is from trim to trim.
Mike

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:18 pm

SVariance1 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:29 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:16 am
SVariance1 wrote:
The 28 inches is from trim to trim.
Wow. I'm surprised that that is per code access to the main basement. Very narrow indeed.

fed123

Post by fed123 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Furniture is a breeze - I had to deal with a furnace. They had to take it apart, bring it downstairs, then rebuild it. Somehow it worked out.

jakepeters

Post by jakepeters » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:36 pm

Maybe check out the online furniture stores that specialize in furniture tha can be easily shipped and broken down.

Theyre above Ikea, apparently. I have no experience with any of these above-Ikea companies, but they are generally pretty new, 1-3 years old.

They seem to offer streamlined, modern styles.

Here's one:
Campaign
https://www.campaignliving.com

I think there's probably others.

JP

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Toadandfriends wrote:
This was a great idea. Thank you. I bought a chair and a half, an ottoman and a sofa. The furniture looks good and is more comfortable than I expected. It is somewhat time consuming or perhaps I am very good at assembling furniture. For me, it was one of my only options and it ended up costing about 1/2 of what I would have spent on assembled furniture.
Mike

Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends » Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Glad that worked out for you and you have a furnished basement!
Cheers,
Toadandfriends