Need wireless earbuds recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
yukonjack

Need wireless earbuds recommendations

Post by yukonjack »

I am looking to purchase wireless (Bluetooth) earbuds and would love to get some recommendations from trusted Bogleheads. I have done a a fair amount of website research as well as reading consumer reports recommendations and haven’t come up with a consensus. CR recommends around 8 brands but when I go to Amazon each of them seems to have major flaws. Maybe this is due to the relative newness of the product or maybe I just need to settle for the best of the lot. Since it is a purchase of over $100 I want to try to get it right. I am willing to pay us to $150. Thanks in advance.
bloom2708

Re: Need wireless earbuds recommendations

Post by bloom2708 »

Have you tried Apple Airpods? I know they are slightly above your budget. I see new pairs on eBay for ~$165. The Costco deal (mentioned below) for $140 is a very good deal.

I bought a set of very inexpensive sleeves that fit over them and add the little ear hook. These made them rock solid as far as not moving for running, walking, etc. Sound is excellent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-In-Ear-Ea ... 2749.l2649
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Have you tried any in-ear headphones? Fit and comfort is arguable more important than sound quality, battery life, etc. If you could try out the ones you are most interested in, you would probably be able to make a decision very quickly. What is best is going to vary a great deal based on personal preferences for fit and sound, so other peoples' opinions are mostly good for narrowing down the list to reliable models of at least decent quality.
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

I've been extremely happy with my powerbeats wireless earbuds from apple/beats by dre. They are currently $160 on their website but I imagine you can find them elsewhere for cheaper. Battery life has been great and I use them to workout most of the time. I've owned them for over a year now. I'm not too picky about audio so I can't comment on how good the sound quality is but it works great for me.

Edit: I've owned other in ear buds without the strap around the ear. That was in the very early days of wireless earbuds. I didn't like the audio quality since they are basically creating a suction in your ear to stay put. Running it was terrible. Perhaps that has changed. They also didn't last as long battery wise and eventually broke for some reason.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

My wife has owned several pairs of different brands and they all eventually stop working. She has gone back to using the wired ear buds that came with the device and hasn't had any problems since other than having to deal with the wire.
zeep

Post by zeep »

FWIW, I find the Wirecutter's reviews very helpful and they just updated their wireless earbud reviews.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... -earbuds/
anil686

Post by anil686 »

N10sive wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:49 pm I've been extremely happy with my powerbeats wireless earbuds from apple/beats by dre. They are currently $160 on their website but I imagine you can find them elsewhere for cheaper. Battery life has been great and I use them to workout most of the time. I've owned them for over a year now. I'm not too picky about audio so I can't comment on how good the sound quality is but it works great for me.

Edit: I've owned other in ear buds without the strap around the ear. That was in the very early days of wireless earbuds. I didn't like the audio quality since they are basically creating a suction in your ear to stay put. Running it was terrible. Perhaps that has changed. They also didn't last as long battery wise and eventually broke for some reason.
+1 on the Powerbeats - $130 at Sams Club - picked up a pair for my spouse last week - have had mine for six months and love them to work out...
Topic Author
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

zeep wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:03 pm FWIW, I find the Wirecutter's reviews very helpful and they just updated their wireless earbud reviews.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... -earbuds/
Thanks for the wirecutter idea. I’ll have a look.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

my wife and I both have airpods so we like them.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I think that Bluetooth reduces audio quality so much that the best you can hope for is good sound, never great. And I mainly use them for podcasts while working out. So I have had great luck with Amazon deal of the day bluetooth earbuds, spending something like $20 each time. And when they die one year later, I bin them, and coronate a new pair.
Spedward

Post by Spedward »

Try Sure. Best I have ever had.
Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj »

yukonjack wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:59 am I am looking to purchase wireless (Bluetooth) earbuds and would love to get some recommendations from trusted Bogleheads. I have done a a fair amount of website research as well as reading consumer reports recommendations and haven’t come up with a consensus. CR recommends around 8 brands but when I go to Amazon each of them seems to have major flaws. Maybe this is due to the relative newness of the product or maybe I just need to settle for the best of the lot. Since it is a purchase of over $100 I want to try to get it right. I am willing to pay us to $150. Thanks in advance.
All honesty? Go with the Otiums. You can get them for less than $30, and from experience they're as good if not better than the similar wireless earbuds by Beats.

(They may not be pure earbuds -- they have a part that wraps around your ear to hold them in place which is great for the gym, and they have a cable between them....but I love mine).
nage234

Post by nage234 »

bogleblitz wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:29 pm my wife and I both have airpods so we like them.
+1

Costco has them for 140

https://www.costco.com/Apple-AirPods-Wi ... 57452.html
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

If you're an Android user, the Google Pixel Buds ($160) have been getting rave reviews. I haven't tried them myself, as I'm quite happy with my Bose QC30s.
just frank

Post by just frank »

DW has been using the Apple airpods for a year and swears by them.

I have read reviews that they are the best in terms of usability and sound quality in the 'wireless earbud' category hands down.

The only complaints are by audio-philes that say they cant compete with high-end over the ear units (duh) and that the 4 hour battery life makes them mad (but of course the airpod case can charge the pods 4x in your pocket or purse (16 hours play), to get you through a full day, unless you were trying to listen to them 24-7).
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

The Apple AirPods are pretty darn awesome. I have had them for a year now. I run with them and listen to music controlled by my Apple Watch. They have only fallen out while running when I try to take my shirt off. The audio quality is perfectly fine and the microphone and call usability is just as good if not better than the wired versions.

The seamless syncing to all of my devices is very handy. A cool little feature I discovered recently with them is that I can listen to the Apple TV while the TV is on mute using the AirPods.

It is also really easy to check the battery life. Just unlock your phone and open the case and wait one second. The status screen pops up.

There is also a “find my phone” feature of the AirPods if you think you left them at work and your at home. You can locate them.
music_man

Post by music_man »

I've had the Jaybird Bluebuds for about 2 years. I love them, use them regularly while on the treadmill and haven't had any issues. Audio quality is great, battery life isn't too bad - about 5-6 hours, which works for me since I only use it on the treadmill.
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

yukonjack wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:59 am I am looking to purchase wireless (Bluetooth) earbuds and would love to get some recommendations from trusted Bogleheads. I have done a a fair amount of website research as well as reading consumer reports recommendations and haven’t come up with a consensus. CR recommends around 8 brands but when I go to Amazon each of them seems to have major flaws. Maybe this is due to the relative newness of the product or maybe I just need to settle for the best of the lot. Since it is a purchase of over $100 I want to try to get it right. I am willing to pay us to $150. Thanks in advance.
i am an avid outdoor fitness enthusiast in south FL. i sweat a ton and am out there every day riding or running. i have tried so many products but the jaybirds i have now ("true" wireless buds) are the best, hands down. GREAT for travel as well.

https://jaybirdsport.com/en-roeu/run-tr ... 985-000677
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

AirPods. Everything I was worried about when I preorded them never became an issue. Everything about them was well and smartly designed and they have yet to fail me. I was buying Motorola wrap arounds every year because they kept failing or breaking during exercise.
Topic Author
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

Thanks so much to the Bogleheads for all the great suggestions. I now feel confident about getting a solid pair of earbuds.