Underrated places to visit in U.S.?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MrJones

Re: Underrated places to visit in U.S.?

Post by MrJones » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:17 am

What a fantastic thread. May I just say, thanks OP for the idea, and everyone else for the great recommendations?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 am

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:50 am
........For me it's really about what you're interested in. .........
Then again, how do we become interested in anything without being exposed to it? The reason I like exploring places - especially out-of-the-way and relatively unknown places - is that I learn about and become interested in less familiar places and subjects.

For example we were once exploring the western U.S. and ran across the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska. It was not big and not fancy but was fascinating and taught us a great deal about how important fur trading was to the development of our nation, something I'd never given much thought to. That led us to the Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer in Grand Island, Nebraska, an out-of-the-way gem.

I'll take off-the-beaten-path places any day over well-known tourist traps. I find them and the people who inhabit them to be much more genuine.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

dirtytough

Post by dirtytough » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:42 am

An off the radar place that I never hear much about is Stehekin WA. To get there you have to walk, take a boat, or fly. It is a great place to explore and read all the history of the area.

Regards,

Marmot

Post by Marmot » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Bmac wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:52 am
Marmot wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 pm
Bend, Oregon.
The Bend area is terrific, especially if you like outdoors activities and beer. I would hardly call it underrated, however. But I guess that is the case for many of the places mentioned in this thread.
BMAC - we know because we are westerners, I doubt the east coast or midwest even know about it. That is fine with me since I live part of the year there.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:59 pm

1,000 places to see in the usa and canada before you die. available amazon and everywhere else.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 3,200_.jpg

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:03 pm

miles monroe wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:59 pm
1,000 places to see in the usa and canada before you die. available amazon and everywhere else.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 3,200_.jpg
OTOH:

Bin the bucket list: Travellers must stop following the same beaten paths - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... ten-paths/

GCD

Post by GCD » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:39 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 am
For example we were once exploring the western U.S. and ran across the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska.
Biggest collection of black powder rifles I have ever seen in one place!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:49 pm

Kababayan wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:51 pm
My wife and I love to take road trips but we haven't been to too many different places. We have driven the West Coast many times (San Diego to Seattle) and driven to and from San Diego to Arkansas and Missouri (we have family there.) I know that there are typical vacation spots (NYC, Miami, etc) but I am looking places that people have visited that one would consider underrated. For example, friends of mine suggested that we visit Austin because of the food scene there (we're foodies.) Others have suggested Buffalo. For those who travel, are there cities that you would consider underrated destinations? Thanks in advance.
Not sure "underrated" but several I/we have enjoyed and would recommend:

1. California coast drive, including Coastal redwoods.
2. Kings canyon/Sequoia national parks - see the big trees
3. Yosemite
4. Niagara falls (especial;ly Canadian side)
5. What is in Buffalo?
6. Maybe things along the Erie Canal in NY state.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Once when I left Yellowstone NP and was traveling east through Cody, I arrived at Buffalo, Wy early in the day. That weekend was the Johnson County Fair and Rodeo http://johnsoncountyfairgrounds.com in Buffalo. I decided on the spur of the moment to attend the Rodeo. Now for $5 that was three hours of fun. If you are in Buffalo on that weekend, make it a point to attend the fair and rodeo. I certainly will if I can make that way again.
Best Wishes, | Joe

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:03 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 am
JupiterJones wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 am
cfs wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:46 am
Anywhere in Idaho
For those keeping score at home, this is the correct answer. :D

My wife and I vacationed in Idaho last year. When I told my coworkers I was going, I got one of two reactions. Most people said "Idaho? Why in the world are you going there?" But the few who had actually been to Idaho would invariably say things like "Oh, that's a beautiful state! You're going to love it."

They were right.

Go soon. I predict it will not be underrated for long...
Idaho is big on my list of places to see more of. Thus far, I've only passed through Coeur d'Alene on I-90. Can you suggest some places to see in Idaho? If it applies to you, how was Boise?
Here is a great place in Idaho: https://visitsunvalley.com/things-to-do ... ation-area
Best Wishes, | Joe

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:55 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:03 pm
alpenglow wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 am
JupiterJones wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 am
cfs wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:46 am
Anywhere in Idaho
For those keeping score at home, this is the correct answer. :D

My wife and I vacationed in Idaho last year. When I told my coworkers I was going, I got one of two reactions. Most people said "Idaho? Why in the world are you going there?" But the few who had actually been to Idaho would invariably say things like "Oh, that's a beautiful state! You're going to love it."

They were right.

Go soon. I predict it will not be underrated for long...
Idaho is big on my list of places to see more of. Thus far, I've only passed through Coeur d'Alene on I-90. Can you suggest some places to see in Idaho? If it applies to you, how was Boise?
Here is a great place in Idaho: https://visitsunvalley.com/things-to-do ... ation-area
DW and I are planning a road trip to Glacier NP, then up to Banff, and back south through Idaho (primarily because DW has never been to Idaho).

It seems Sun Valley is along the "scenic route" I was planning on taking to go to the Craters of the Moon. We may never make it out of Idaho. Curse all of you Idaho fanboys! :mrgreen:

mikemagz11

Post by mikemagz11 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:04 pm

Since you mentioned Buffalo, could do a few days in NYC and then drive up to Buffalo. Best of both worlds.

mikemagz11

Post by mikemagz11 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm

folkher0 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 am
GCD wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 am
OK, the thread title says underrated, but are we talking about truly underrated or just off the beaten path and relatively unknown? Because with Yelp, etc. there are few places that are really underrated. Even when you find some little hole-in-the-wall place that is generally off the radar, it often has great Yelp reviews... which wouldn't make it underrated.
Ok you want underrated?

Baltimore and Detroit.

Baltimore has got great food (not a bad crabcake in town). Camden Yards is my second favorite ballpark. Drink a Natty Boh. The Visionary Arts Museum is a totally unique gallery. Fell's Point or Hamden on a Friday night are a blast.

Detroit also has great food too and the small businesses that are sprouting up amid the wreckage are really fun to explore. Detroit style pizza is its own thing, you want it. The best coffee I've ever had was in Detroit.

Check out both towns. You won't get shot.
Natty Boh's :oops:

craimund

Post by craimund » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Badlands and Black Hills of South Dakota and Devils Tower, Wyoming. Really cool but hard to access. Pittsburgh, PA is a really neat city. Lived there one summer in my younger days.
"When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"-Bob Dylan 1965. "When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more"-Dylan 1997

craimund

Post by craimund » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:16 pm

mikemagz11 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm
folkher0 wrote:
GCD wrote:
OK, the thread title says underrated, but are we talking about truly underrated or just off the beaten path and relatively unknown? Because with Yelp, etc. there are few places that are really underrated. Even when you find some little hole-in-the-wall place that is generally off the radar, it often has great Yelp reviews... which wouldn't make it underrated.
Ok you want underrated?

Baltimore and Detroit.

Baltimore has got great food (not a bad crabcake in town). Camden Yards is my second favorite ballpark. Drink a Natty Boh. The Visionary Arts Museum is a totally unique gallery. Fell's Point or Hamden on a Friday night are a blast.

Detroit also has great food too and the small businesses that are sprouting up amid the wreckage are really fun to explore. Detroit style pizza is its own thing, you want it. The best coffee I've ever had was in Detroit.

What ballpark is better than Camden Yards? PNC Park in Pittsburgh maybe? Never been but from what I have seen on TV, it looks really cool - been to some games (baseball and football) at the old Three Rivers stadium which really stunk. Heard the new park in San Fran is also good.

Haven't had a Natty Boh in awhile.
"When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"-Bob Dylan 1965. "When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more"-Dylan 1997

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:57 am

I have to add another plug for Rapid City in the Black Hills of SD. (Great place to visit, don't move there). I forgot to mention Reptile Gardens and Bear Country. Bear Country is worth seeing if you are already there. It's a drive-through wildlife park where you will drive along and the bears will be about 3 feet from your car. They also have about 20 other types of animals from wolves to bison.

But Reptile Gardens is worth a special trip if you like snakes. I've been to every state in the country and have been to more than a dozen zoos. RG doesn't have anything besides reptiles, but it is better than the reptile house at any zoo I've ever visited. They have exotic venomous snakes from other countries that are the only one on display in the US. They also have alligator wrestling shows. RG is also the sole producer of some exotic anti-venoms. I think they also have the largest crocodile on display in the US.

RG appears to be a crappy tourist trap from the roadside billboards, but it's pretty awesome and unmatched in it's little niche.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:16 am

mikemagz11 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:04 pm
Since you mentioned Buffalo, could do a few days in NYC and then drive up to Buffalo. Best of both worlds.
Just FYI - even though in the same sate of New York - it is about 400 or so miles between NY City and Buffalo.

gouldnm

Post by gouldnm » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:41 am

Cleveland, Ohio.

It has cultural amenities comparable to New York and Chicago for a fraction of the cost (and a lot less crowded and traffic, too). Playhouse Square has the highest concentration of theater outside of Broadway. The Cleveland Symphony is world class, and there is no symphony hall in the country more beautiful and magnificent than Severance Hall. There are also some beautiful parks and other museums including the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The restaurants are great, too!

If you get tired of the city, the Ohio Amish country is within two hours.

MidwestMike

Post by MidwestMike » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:53 am

My four favs:

Lake Tahoe
Sanibel Island
Lake Geneva
Alaska cruise

Wanting to do a New England fall colors cruise but haven’t got around to it yet.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:19 am

Redwoods National and State Parks in northern California. Amazing and not yet over-run. We combined it with a visit to the Oregon Coast. And one could include Bend Oregon on that trip, given enough time.

Or, Toronto. terrific choice of ethnic restaurants, and a great public transportation system so you don't have to drive much.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:46 am

RudyS wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:19 am
Redwoods National and State Parks in northern California. Amazing and not yet over-run. We combined it with a visit to the Oregon Coast. And one could include Bend Oregon on that trip, given enough time.

Or, Toronto. terrific choice of ethnic restaurants, and a great public transportation system so you don't have to drive much.
Yes - Toronto :) However, now a passport is required to go to Canada from the US :(

drk

Post by drk » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:49 am

GCD wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:19 pm
folkher0 wrote:

Ok you want underrated?

Baltimore and Detroit.

I had no idea Detroit style pizza was a thing. I will consider that, although it may take me 5-10 years to swing through Detroit...
For those who appreciate a side of architecture to go with their pizza, there was a recent New York Times Travel article on Detroit's architecture, focused on Albert Kahn.

folkher0

Post by folkher0 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:57 am

craimund wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:16 pm
mikemagz11 wrote:
folkher0 wrote:
GCD wrote:
Ok you want underrated?

Baltimore and Detroit.

What ballpark is better than Camden Yards? PNC Park in Pittsburgh maybe? Never been but from what I have seen on TV, it looks really cool - been to some games (baseball and football) at the old Three Rivers stadium which really stunk. Heard the new park in San Fran is also good.

Wrigley Field. Easy

folkher0

Post by folkher0 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 am

craimund wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:16 pm
mikemagz11 wrote:
folkher0 wrote:
GCD wrote:
Ok you want underrated?

Baltimore and Detroit.

Wrigley Field. Easy

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:22 am

Although not "the best" National Park in Washington DC is very good.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:13 am

JMacDonald wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:52 pm
Once when I left Yellowstone NP and was traveling east through Cody, I arrived at Buffalo, Wy early in the day. That weekend was the Johnson County Fair and Rodeo http://johnsoncountyfairgrounds.com in Buffalo. I decided on the spur of the moment to attend the Rodeo. Now for $5 that was three hours of fun. If you are in Buffalo on that weekend, make it a point to attend the fair and rodeo. I certainly will if I can make that way again.
And even if the Fair isn't going on when you are in Buffalo, Wyoming, the town is worth a stopover simply to eat at Winchester Steak House.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:24 am

-North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota - add Duluth to the trip
-Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota
-Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota
-Northern Wisconsin - Apostle Islands
-Door County, Wisconsin