Underrated places to visit in U.S.?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
btenny

Re: Underrated places to visit in U.S.?

Post by btenny »

If you are interested in air planes, Arizona has the best flying weather in the world and some of the best air museums in the world. You can see old WWI and WWII planes and tons of other cool old planes. Plus there are lots of old air liners and important planes to look at. Planes like the President Kennedy's Air Force 1 and the Black Bird spy plane and the various fighter jets like the F89, F100 and the F104 are all on display.

See below for links to the Commemorative Air Force in Mesa and the Pima Air Museum and the Marana Air Museum and the Boeing Helicopter factory.

https://www.azcaf.org/
http://www.pimaair.org/
http://www.airplaneboneyards.com/pinal- ... neyard.htm
http://www.boeing.com/defense/ah-64-apache/
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 416441001/
dbr

Post by dbr »

btenny wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:17 pm If you are interested in air planes, Arizona has the best flying weather in the world and some of the best air museums in the world. You can see old WWI and WWII planes and tons of other cool old planes. Plus there are lots of old air liners and important planes to look at. Planes like the President Kennedy's Air Force 1 and the Black Bird spy plane and the various fighter jets like the F89, F100 and the F104 are all on display.

See below for links to the Commemorative Air Force in Mesa and the Pima Air Museum and the Marana Air Museum and the Boeing Helicopter factory.

https://www.azcaf.org/
http://www.pimaair.org/
http://www.airplaneboneyards.com/pinal- ... neyard.htm
http://www.boeing.com/defense/ah-64-apache/
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 416441001/
Cool, and I have often found discovering unique "specialty" sites of different kinds very rewarding. A point is that if there are particular things that interest you, then do some research on where there are opportunities to find them.

Here is a truly unique and amazing collection regarding space flight: http://cosmo.org/exhibitions/hall-of-space

It is a place that is absolutely without parallel in a location no one would ever imagine. As a side trip there is also this: http://underkansas.org/

and this: http://www.clui.org/section/9-second-lo ... -kansas%20
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

dbr wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:51 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:40 am Being a Chicago native, I'll throw Chicago out there. You often only hear about the shootings in the news (which are generally isolated to certain bad areas). There is a lot to do for a wide variety of interests: museums, architecture, sport teams, shopping, theater, etc.

Chicago was named the top city in the world for having it all recently:

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news/ch ... all-012918
I also get Chicago, but on the basis of your evidence Chicago is not underrated.
Maybe. But when I travel outside of North America most people know nothing about it except a sports team maybe. Timeout is not exactly the New York Times either.
Chuck5781

Post by Chuck5781 »

Charlottesville, Virginia is an interesting and beautiful place to visit. Lots of historical sites, cool college town, downtown area, mountains, wineries. Visit the university and Thomas Jefferson’s home.

Also close enough to Washington DC to have a good varied driving experience, if you wish.
Be very careful if you think information makes you wise.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

GratefulinNC wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 pm The Bershires, of course.
Please, no. We have enough second home owners and swells coming here already. Stay away, it’s getting over crowded. It’s been discovered and the locals and their children can’t afford to buy a house or go out to the restaurants with big city prices. Another poster said that they like to go out to local diners, etc. Don’t expect many of them here. They are disappearing due to the high rents. The existing infrastructure is not capable supporting of many more visitors. The bucolic Berkshires are becoming Brooklyn north.

A little tongue in cheek, but only a little.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Just saw this article in Money magazine.

http://time.com/money/page/best-places- ... =hp-magmod
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
dbr

Post by dbr »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:21 pm
dbr wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:51 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:40 am Being a Chicago native, I'll throw Chicago out there. You often only hear about the shootings in the news (which are generally isolated to certain bad areas). There is a lot to do for a wide variety of interests: museums, architecture, sport teams, shopping, theater, etc.

Chicago was named the top city in the world for having it all recently:

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news/ch ... all-012918
I also get Chicago, but on the basis of your evidence Chicago is not underrated.
Maybe. But when I travel outside of North America most people know nothing about it except a sports team maybe. Timeout is not exactly the New York Times either.
Fair enough.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

San Juan Islands in Washington State.

Dave
GratefulinNC

Post by GratefulinNC »

Winston-Salem, NC

Check out this Web site: http://visitwinstonsalem.com.
GratefulinNC

Post by GratefulinNC »

eddot98 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 pm
Please, no. We have enough second home owners and swells coming here already. Stay away, it’s getting over crowded. It’s been discovered and the locals and their children can’t afford to buy a house or go out to the restaurants with big city prices. Another poster said that they like to go out to local diners, etc. Don’t expect many of them here. They are disappearing due to the high rents. The existing infrastructure is not capable supporting of many more visitors. The bucolic Berkshires are becoming Brooklyn north.

I have never been to the Berkshires. They are definitely on my bucket list. I have heard about the Berkshires since I was a child. I imagined them to be an intellectual, artsy mountain area. History, art, and beauty all mixed together.

I hope they don't become another Myrtle Beach.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Methow, WA and the surrounding area always looked like a quiet and beautiful place. I've never been there, however. Any thoughts on that area?
researcher

Post by researcher »

This thread is the equivalent of throwing darts at a US map.
dbr

Post by dbr »

researcher wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 am This thread is the equivalent of throwing darts at a US map.
Of course it is. That is the natural result of asking any question of the nature of "What place . . . .?"

It is not different when someone asks "Should I buy X or Y car." The result is to eventually name all the existing makes and models that are for sale.

Or a person can ask "What college should my child attend?" and get the opening of random pages to a college guide.

However, there are some interesting suggestions that people might not have thought much about and maybe some surprises. That is not unuseful.
jriding

Post by jriding »

littlebird wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 pm I nominate the Black Hills of South Dakota as the most underrated place in the U.S. It's gorgeous and interesting.
+1
And Moab, UT in October/November.
dbr

Post by dbr »

jriding wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:17 am
littlebird wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 pm I nominate the Black Hills of South Dakota as the most underrated place in the U.S. It's gorgeous and interesting.
+1
And Moab, UT in October/November.
The UT suggestion is a good one. In my circles Black Hills is one of the most often mentioned and raved about destinations so certainly not underrated. I suppose there is a general phenomenon of "flyover country" by definition being underrated, but that depends on your starting point.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

cfs wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:46 am Anywhere in Idaho
For those keeping score at home, this is the correct answer. :D

My wife and I vacationed in Idaho last year. When I told my coworkers I was going, I got one of two reactions. Most people said "Idaho? Why in the world are you going there?" But the few who had actually been to Idaho would invariably say things like "Oh, that's a beautiful state! You're going to love it."

They were right.

Go soon. I predict it will not be underrated for long...
Stay on target...
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Not underrated, but New Orleans is fun. Memphis, Tennessee is a great place to visit for several days. Great BBQ but many other fine food restaurants at a bargain compared to more cosmopolitan ones. Civil Rights Museum, Beale Street, Graceland, FedX at the airport, Gibson Guitar, etc.

Tim
fposte

Post by fposte »

In general, smaller cities with university presences tend to be interesting. There's often some natural beauty, usually some interesting arts scenes, and almost always at least acceptable and possibly great, in local ways, food. So Bloomington, IN; Iowa City, IA; Madison and Milwaukee, WI; Columbus, OH; and so on. (I mostly know the Midwest.)

It can also be fun to get a theme going. Unexpected private art collections? Sculpture gardens? Hot-air balloon festivals? Non-traveling local food specialties? Things like that can bring you to multiple places that you wouldn't have otherwise visited.
jazman12

Post by jazman12 »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:11 pm New Mexico in October. I've been there twice. Lots of museums, art galleries, historic sites and hiking on federal and state lands. I've been to Santa Fe and Taos with day trips to other areas.
Great location...took it last year and it was amazing in late winter.
Act soon... time is running out
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

researcher wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 am This thread is the equivalent of throwing darts at a US map.
True. So I'll be honest:

Iowa is probably not going to be a great place to visit in general. It's a great place to live because of schools, jobs, crime rate, etc. but not a place that I would recommend to go out of your way to visit.

In Des Moines, we have good places to eat but nothing so good that you can't eat something similar in any other large metro area. About 3 months out of the year we have good weather with the other 9 months either being hot and humid as hell or arctic. I think we have some of the best bars in the country for craft beer. Our state fair is pretty fun to visit if you've never been. We have a pretty decent farmers market. From my experience, Omaha is very similar to Des Moines in activities but has a lot better zoo.

If you're driving through Iowa(I80) than stopping for a couple of days in Omaha or Des Moines would be ok. Or stopping in the Amana Colonies for 1/2 a day.

For me it's really about what you're interested in. If you're interested in biking, drinking, and sleeping outdoors than riding across the state (Ragbrai) with thousands of other people may sound fun. If you like just sitting back, having a cold beer, a tenderloin, and people watch than you'd probably enjoy the Iowa State Fair. If you like skiing or mountain view.....yeah you should probably skip Iowa.
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

Forget Manhattan.
I will always remember getting off the train and seeing the amazing cultures of Jackson Heights Queens, a place where you can travel the world in a block
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Heights,_Queens

And

Flushing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flushing,_Queens

The first time I went to Flushing's Chinatown (2000) I had just returned from China. It was barely different.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

JupiterJones wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 am

My wife and I vacationed in Idaho last year. When I told my coworkers I was going, I got one of two reactions. Most people said "Idaho? Why in the world are you going there?" But the few who had actually been to Idaho would invariably say things like "Oh, that's a beautiful state! You're going to love it."

They were right.

Idaho is big on my list of places to see more of. Thus far, I've only passed through Coeur d'Alene on I-90. Can you suggest some places to see in Idaho? If it applies to you, how was Boise?
goflyers13

Post by goflyers13 »

A tour of the coast of Lake Michigan would make a great summer trip! Lots to do, and lots of beautiful scenery to see. You could easily stretch this out over two or three weeks or more or just tour a small part of the coast. If I were taking this trip, it might look something like this:

Fly into Chicago, rent a car, and head north to Wisconsin
Check out Milwaukee for a day
Play a round of golf with amazing views of Lake Michigan at Whistling Straits
If you pick the right week (July 23-29 this year), catch a day of the Oshkosh Airshow
Visit Lambeau Field in Green Bay (I'm a Packers fan)
Head up to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan and hike the Hiawatha National Forest and Sault Ste. Marie State Forest
Take the Ferry to Mackinac Island
Cross the Mackinac Bridge and head down the west coast of the mitten
Stop in Grand Rapids for some great food and beer
Hike the dunes at Saugatuck State Park
Enjoy a day or two at the beach and a top-notch sunset over the lake in South Haven, MI
If you're really into dunes, hike more dunes at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
Head back to Chicago and see the sights
Go home :(
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

snackdog wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:32 pm If you like to eat Las Vegas and Houston are quite under rated for diversity, quality, selection and price.
+1 re Vegas. I particularly like Margaritaville on the Strip, and there is a great hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant around the corner behind Bally’s called (appropriately enough) Battista’s Hole-in-the-Wall Italian Restaurant. Sadly, Shibuya in the MGM Grand (which for my money had the best spicy tuna roll bar none) closed not long ago and was replaced by Morimoto. :(
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

What was the giveaway? New York, Chicago, Las Vegas or New Orleans?
camper1

Post by camper1 »

Interesting list of underrated places from Lonely Planet:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-us
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

alpenglow wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 am Methow, WA and the surrounding area always looked like a quiet and beautiful place. I've never been there, however. Any thoughts on that area?
Lake Chelan is nearby. It's a fairly popular place for Seattle-ites to head to in the summer, the lake is nice and there are a few wineries scattered about that you can visit. There are campgrounds if you prefer not to stay in condos but they tend to book up very quickly.

Winthrop is to the north, and while I've never been, it's supposedly an old west themed town.

I've never been to Methow or even heard of it before you mentioned it. There are a lot of small towns in Washington State but frankly there is not much to do in most of them. Eastern Washington tends to be quite hot in summer and quite cold in the winter.
beyou

Post by beyou »

taguscove wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:30 am Definitely new York city. It is the most visited destination in the USA by a large margin. Plenty of people drop in for a weekend and get an uninformed impression of the array of cultural and visual wonders. Based on the sheer number of aggregate negative reviews, NYC is the most underrated.
Please no, don't send more tourists to NYC....we have more than we can handle.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

eddot98 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 pm

This is exactly why I have refrained from adding my most underrated place to this list. The crowds are slowly finding it anyway but I don't want to hasten it anymore by letting the cat out of the bag.

Like someone else kind of alluded to above, throw a dart at a map and go and see what is there. I have done that approach and have always been rewarded with a great experience.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Are you an outdoors/nature person? I can give you many recommendations if you are.
GCD

Post by GCD »

OK, the thread title says underrated, but are we talking about truly underrated or just off the beaten path and relatively unknown? Because with Yelp, etc. there are few places that are really underrated. Even when you find some little hole-in-the-wall place that is generally off the radar, it often has great Yelp reviews... which wouldn't make it underrated.
dbr

Post by dbr »

GCD wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 am OK, the thread title says underrated, but are we talking about truly underrated or just off the beaten path and relatively unknown? Because with Yelp, etc. there are few places that are really underrated. Even when you find some little hole-in-the-wall place that is generally off the radar, it often has great Yelp reviews... which wouldn't make it underrated.
Virtually none of the replies are underrated. Lots of the replies are off the beaten path. Lots of replies are neither underrated nor off the beaten path. A few probably are underrated. I challenged Chicago but now agree with that poster that Chicago may be underrated.

A point of view expressed is that you can go anywhere and then search out what is worth seeing and doing. Even in highly rated locations there can be not commonly known activities and sights. I guess there have been a lot of interesting suggestions.

One characteristic of forums is that the OP doesn't get to enforce what kind of responses they really wanted.
gouverneur

Post by gouverneur »

Virginia wine country is lovely, when we lived in DC we took 4-5 trips out to various sub-regions (all within a few hours' drive of DC and its major airports). Along the way you can also do Shenandoah and the Skyline Drive, and if you enjoy small towns and "authentic" culture, Virginia is replete with charming little hamlets and proprietor owned/operated bed & breakfasts.
folkher0

Post by folkher0 »

GCD wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 am OK, the thread title says underrated, but are we talking about truly underrated or just off the beaten path and relatively unknown? Because with Yelp, etc. there are few places that are really underrated. Even when you find some little hole-in-the-wall place that is generally off the radar, it often has great Yelp reviews... which wouldn't make it underrated.
Ok you want underrated?

Baltimore and Detroit.

Baltimore has got great food (not a bad crabcake in town). Camden Yards is my second favorite ballpark. Drink a Natty Boh. The Visionary Arts Museum is a totally unique gallery. Fell's Point or Hamden on a Friday night are a blast.

Detroit also has great food too and the small businesses that are sprouting up amid the wreckage are really fun to explore. Detroit style pizza is its own thing, you want it. The best coffee I've ever had was in Detroit.

Check out both towns. You won't get shot.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

alpenglow wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 am Idaho is big on my list of places to see more of. Thus far, I've only passed through Coeur d'Alene on I-90. Can you suggest some places to see in Idaho? If it applies to you, how was Boise?
Boise was great! It reminded me of Portland 20 years ago. Beautiful riverwalk/greenway. Bicycle-friendly. Up-and-coming food scene. Plenty of good beer. :-)

After a few nights there we took a drive up to Missoula, MT. A very loooong drive, but absolutely beautiful. Pit stops in Stanley and Challis. Oh and we briefly checked out some of the natural hot springs along the way. (Recommend preparing for this part of the trip by reading John Rember's memoir, Traplines.) Would've liked to have spent more time in the Sawtooth valley area, maybe get in some hiking.

After Missoula (a fun town worth visiting if you're up that way) we headed across to Coeur d'Alene. Definitely a place to see for more than just a pass-through. We sprung for a lake-view room at the Coeur d'Alene resort. Worth it if only for the sunset and sunrise over the water. :-)

We regrettably didn't get down to Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon, etc. Nor did we have time to visit the Snake River Canyon area, which I hear is pretty wonderful too. Next trip!
Stay on target...
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

JupiterJones wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 am
alpenglow wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 am Idaho is big on my list of places to see more of. Thus far, I've only passed through Coeur d'Alene on I-90. Can you suggest some places to see in Idaho? If it applies to you, how was Boise?
Boise was great! It reminded me of Portland 20 years ago. Beautiful riverwalk/greenway. Bicycle-friendly. Up-and-coming food scene. Plenty of good beer. :-)

After a few nights there we took a drive up to Missoula, MT. A very loooong drive, but absolutely beautiful. Pit stops in Stanley and Challis. Oh and we briefly checked out some of the natural hot springs along the way. (Recommend preparing for this part of the trip by reading John Rember's memoir, Traplines.) Would've liked to have spent more time in the Sawtooth valley area, maybe get in some hiking.

After Missoula (a fun town worth visiting if you're up that way) we headed across to Coeur d'Alene. Definitely a place to see for more than just a pass-through. We sprung for a lake-view room at the Coeur d'Alene resort. Worth it if only for the sunset and sunrise over the water. :-)

We regrettably didn't get down to Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon, etc. Nor did we have time to visit the Snake River Canyon area, which I hear is pretty wonderful too. Next trip!
Sounds great! Thanks for the info.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

dbr wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:06 pm
DemoEngr wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:00 pm The north border of USA/Canada Idaho/Montana in the western mountains and the great lakes (Michigan/Wisconsin) are nice in the summer months.

Banff and Jasper Alberta are stunning areas as well.
The underrated part of that would be the North Shore of Lake Superior and the area of Traverse City Michigan, not to mention the whole of the U.P., though the people who flock to those areas would absolutely not call them underrated. Note the North Shore and Upper Michigan is really popular by winter as well.
Isle Royale, in Lake Superior. The least visited national park.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
GCD

Post by GCD »

folkher0 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 am
Ok you want underrated?

Baltimore and Detroit.

Detroit also has great food too and the small businesses that are sprouting up amid the wreckage are really fun to explore. Detroit style pizza is its own thing, you want it. The best coffee I've ever had was in Detroit.
I had no idea Detroit style pizza was a thing. I will consider that, although it may take me 5-10 years to swing through Detroit...
GCD

Post by GCD »

It's not unique to Idaho, but getting off the paved road and taking a dirt logging road in a National Forest is something a lot of people don't do. I wouldn't try it in a Ferrari but normal street worthy vehicles with decent clearance can usually (no Chrysler Sebrings either) handle it. Get a USFS map and find one that you can use as a cut through to go wherever you had intended. Might as well be on dirt as pavement.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

GCD wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:19 pm Detroit style pizza is its own thing, you want it.
I had no idea Detroit style pizza was a thing.
There's a chain (out of Michigan, oddly) called Jet's Pizza that does Detroit-style pizza. No idea how authentic it is, but whatever it is they're doing, it is absurdly good.
Stay on target...
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

GCD wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:25 pm
It's not unique to Idaho, but getting off the paved road and taking a dirt logging road in a National Forest is something a lot of people don't do. I wouldn't try it in a Ferrari but normal street worthy vehicles with decent clearance can usually (no Chrysler Sebrings either) handle it. Get a USFS map and find one that you can use as a cut through to go wherever you had intended. Might as well be on dirt as pavement.
Dirt roads are great. I spend most of my time in Vermont off the pavement.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

alpenglow wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 am Methow, WA and the surrounding area always looked like a quiet and beautiful place. I've never been there, however. Any thoughts on that area?
The Methow valley is indeed a quiet and beautiful place. It's surrounded by some of the best scenery and hiking in the lower 48 states in the North Cascades. There are a few small towns and at least one nice lodge (Sun Mountain) to stay. Not a foodie destination by any means but great for nature lovers looking for remote places to really get away. Not particularly easy to get to but that's part of the charm.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

folkher0 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 am
Ok you want underrated?

Baltimore and Detroit.
Good call on both, esp. Baltimore - the home of T. Rowe Price. It also has Fort McHenry National Monument and the (free) Walters Art Museum.
hightower

Post by hightower »

I will say that I was blown away with Montana the first time I went there. Glacier National Park is a real treasure. Absolutely stunning scenery everywhere you go there. Also, the drive from Glacier National Park to Yellowstone was incredible. That part of the country is obscenely beautiful. I've haven't been up to Banff, yet but I've heard it's equally gorgeous.
I think they are underrated because at least where I'm from, no one really talks about these areas much. I hear more talk about Destin Fl, which isn't even on the same planet as Montana IMO, lol
22twain

Post by 22twain »

GCD wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:19 pmI had no idea Detroit style pizza was a thing.
Neither did I, and I lived a short drive away for several years when I was in grad school many years ago. The Coney Island (hot dog) is definitely a thing there, however.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

<r><QUOTE author="GratefulinNC" post_id="3848104" time="1522065636" user_id="129712"><s>
GratefulinNC wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 am</s>
<QUOTE author="eddot98" post_id="3846245" time="1521943068" user_id="50057"><s>
eddot98 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 pm</s>
<QUOTE author="GratefulinNC" post_id="3844919" time="1521860256" user_id="129712"><s>
GratefulinNC wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 pm</s>
The Bershires, of course.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Please, no. We have enough second home owners and swells coming here already. Stay away, it’s getting over crowded. It’s been discovered and the locals and their children can’t afford to buy a house or go out to the restaurants with big city prices. Another poster said that they like to go out to local diners, etc. Don’t expect many of them here. They are disappearing due to the high rents. The existing infrastructure is not capable supporting of many more visitors. The bucolic Berkshires are becoming Brooklyn north.<br/>
<br/>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

I have never been to the Berkshires. They are definitely on my bucket list. I have heard about the Berkshires since I was a child. I imagined them to be an intellectual, artsy mountain area. History, art, and beauty all mixed together. <br/>
<br/>
I hope they don't become another Myrtle Beach.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>
That’s what the Berkshires used to be. Once they were discovered by New York City folks as a cheaper place to buy second homes than Long Island, etc., they have brought higher prices, traffic, and the typical big city attitudes. Walk around downtown Manhattan and you see why you have to be pushy and self centered to survive. Acting that way in a small town is not the way to make friends. We currently have under construction one condo development in downtown Great Barrington where 2 bedroom units start at $500,000. There’s a second such complex in the planning stage. We now have NYC transplants on our town boards and as our Town Manager. An old middle school is going to be converted into a luxury hotel. There’s a great trail to the top of Monument Mountain that used to be a great hike with just a few folks ever taking it. Now on a nice fall weekend it’s so crowded I’m surprised anyone wants to take it. </r>
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Kababayan wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:38 pm
snackdog wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:32 pm If you like to eat Las Vegas and Houston are quite under rated for diversity, quality, selection and price.
Vegas is such a great food city. I also have a great Wafflehouse story from when I was in Houston. Thank you for the post.
Well, now I simply must know, what happened at Waffle House??
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Since you’ve driven up and down the west coast a few times you may have been to these places already. But I was blown away by arches national park. Crater Lake in Oregon was one of my favorite spots too.

Austin is a great place to visit for a few days. Food is excellent as your friend mentioned.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

JupiterJones wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 am

They were right.

But have you been to “Middle of Nowhere” in Idaho?

yes, it exists! (“google” it (it’s off I-84)...and there’s an actual sign!)
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Nestegg_User wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:46 am But have you been to “Middle of Nowhere” in Idaho?
I bet the scenery is better than in Center of the World, Ohio. 8-)
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!