Furniture Protection Plan worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

Furniture Protection Plan worth it?

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:34 am

Hi all,

So we just bit the bullet and purchased new furniture for our family room. We shopped around, found something we liked, and of course "the sale of the century" was going on so we went for it.

Anyhow, this store offers a 4-year protection plan at a cost of $250, that covers everything about the furniture...we spill red wine or our dog throws up on it...they come clean it and/or replace it if they can't get it out. Scratches, tears, frame, springs, foam, anything...is how I understand the coverage.

If we don't file a claim through the 4 years, they give us our $250 back...granted it's a gift card to their store...but I'm sure Mrs. Guitarguy could find a new area rug or something small like that to blow that on if we're not really in need for anything at the time. Or we could keep it...it never expires.

Would you all out there in BH land purchase this??

Normally I don't buy extended warranties for anything...but this doesn't seem like too bad a deal considering we have 2 dogs, a cat, and children are in the plans. I'm wondering if this should be an exception.

The furniture cost was $2100.

Thoughts?

Pajamas

Re: Furniture Protection Plan worth it?

Post by Pajamas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:43 am

I would carefully examine the terms of the "protection plan" and determine if there are any limits or hidden costs involved in cleaning or replacing the furniture. You might even ask a friendly employee at the store about it in a discreet way if it is really as great of a deal as it seems to be or if there are surprises.

Furniture has huge markups, so it is possible that they could replace the sofa several times for what you paid for it and still come out with a profit. The $250 is reasonable if you expect that you will need to have the sofa cleaned a couple of times and they will actually come do it and it would cost that much to have someone come in to do it and you wouldn't do it yourself instead. I would ignore the replacement part if the sofa is of decent quality.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:47 am

> we have 2 dogs, a cat,

Would it really cover pet damage?

Considering that dogs have been known to eat sofas, and cats use them as scratching posts, this sounds like a big loser for the insurer, unless appropriate exclusions are in the policy.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 am

I'd check to make sure you don't have to do something like apply a stain blocker every month. That's kind of how carpet warranties get around claims. You have to have the carpet professionally cleaned every year or 6 months for the warranty to be valid.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:43 am
I would carefully examine the terms of the "protection plan" and determine if there are any limits or hidden costs involved in cleaning or replacing the furniture. You might even ask a friendly employee at the store about it in a discreet way if it is really as great of a deal as it seems to be or if there are surprises.

Furniture has huge markups, so it is possible that they could replace the sofa several times for what you paid for it and still come out with a profit. The $250 is reasonable if you expect that you will need to have the sofa cleaned a couple of times and they will actually come do it and it would cost that much to have someone come in to do it and you wouldn't do it yourself instead. I would ignore the replacement part if the sofa is of decent quality.
So true on the markups :annoyed But oh well.

A friend of mine has furniture by the same company, similar color, similar structure just slightly different arm rest design, and his has worn well over 3-4 years (no dogs there, but 2 cats).

So I'm thinking more about the "cat threw up and we can't get it out" or "somehow the fabric ripped" side of it. Our dogs don't chew or dig at furniture, and our cat has never scratched anything. Knock wood. We keep everybody pretty clean too, but keeping them off the furniture straight up will not happen.

We have cleaned all kinds of stuff off our old furniture over the years and never ran into anything we couldn't get out. BUT, the new furniture is a much lighter color and the fabric is more "traditional" (however I can describe that" as opposed to microfiber which liquids basically just bead off off.
barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 am
I'd check to make sure you don't have to do something like apply a stain blocker every month. That's kind of how carpet warranties get around claims. You have to have the carpet professionally cleaned every year or 6 months for the warranty to be valid.
They actually didn't try to sell us any kind of stain blocker at all. I was surprised.

There was no mention of anything like this, and I read the fine print.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:09 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:47 am
> we have 2 dogs, a cat,

Would it really cover pet damage?

Considering that dogs have been known to eat sofas, and cats use them as scratching posts, this sounds like a big loser for the insurer, unless appropriate exclusions are in the policy.
It expressly states that it does...but it's not that broad. It says pet bodily fluids, stains of any kind, etc.

It does say rips and tears, but if the dog ate the arm of the couch...I wouldn't expect them to cover that. Fortunately or dogs don't chew and our cat has never scratched anything but her big scratching post. Again, knock wood.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Not worth it in my opinionEdited: I don't know if it's worth it, but I personally would not get it.

They were trying to sell us similar thing when we got our furniture (slightly less expensive than yours). But I go by the rule of thumb that I don't buy 'insurance', 'warranties', etc if I can afford to replace 'it', or if something happen it won't be catastrophic. Things like furniture, electronics, even cars' extended warranties, etc all fall into this category. Rule of thumbs simplify decision making.

You know that they make profits with these kinds of 'protection', so it's better of for us not to buy it. So what if you spill something on the furniture? We'd try to clean it, and just move on. Also, another way we look at it is, 'what the worst that can happen'? It's just a furniture after all.

Oh BTW, we have small children. One had vomited on the new sofa few months after we got it due to bad cold. I just use damp towel and a bit of spot remover; it's fine :)
Last edited by armeliusc on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:20 pm

I would just spray it with Scotchguard and then clean it myself if it needed it. Loose slipcovers are now readily available relatively inexpensively.

Some people with pets put a slipcover on the pet's favorite upholstered furniture anyway. I have friends who have accessorized their upholstered sofas and chairs for their cats' use. Not only are there slipcovers, they have lap blankets on the backs of the sofas and chairs that the cats like to nap on and fuzzy pet beds in the seats of the chairs. Humans have to move pet things to sit down and even then must function as cat-warmers. The slipcovers are loose and the cats also like to nap on the floor in between the slipcover and the furniture.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:24 pm

armeliusc wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 pm
You know that they make profits with these kinds of 'protection', so it's better of for us not to buy it.
This thought is definitely on my mind haha. They're selling it for a reason after all.
Pajamas wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:20 pm
I would just spray it with Scotchguard and then clean it myself if it needed it.
I've never really used Scotchguard...does it leave nasty residue on the furniture or anything like that?

Is it commonly used in our situation (family room furniture with pets, possibly kids, etc)?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 pm

$6k leather living room set got stains that they couldn't get out. Discontinued set so they gave us our money back and we bought a $1600 microfibre set. Well worth the money.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Worth it?

Short answer- NO

Long answer- HELL NO
Funding secured

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Worthless... The furniture company is selling these contracts for another warranty company. That warranty company will contract out the work to another local company. These guys will try to find out any way possible to get away without covering the damage.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:56 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:24 pm

I've never really used Scotchguard...does it leave nasty residue on the furniture or anything like that?
Not a visible one but there are probably some fabrics you shouldn't use it on.
Is it commonly used in our situation (family room furniture with pets, possibly kids, etc)?
Yes.

If you look online, it consistently has very high ratings and reviews in large numbers. You could read some of the reviews that give it lower ratings to get an idea of any potential issues.

I see it is actually "Scotchgard" rather than "Scotchguard". Sorry about that.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:20 pm
I would just spray it with Scotchguard and then clean it myself if it needed it.
That is exactly what the salesman told us when we bought our last couch set. I spray it yearly, not a single issues yet and we are 4-years on.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Which company is backing the warranty? Valspar?

hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:36 pm

We purchased an expensive sectional from Macy's last year and the sales rep kept pushing the warranty. I told him I will research and get back to him in a day. Went home and google the company and it was as expected, stories of the company refusing to replace or repair furniture even though is under guarantee time frame. So we skipped the insurance and save a few hundred. I think there is only 1 or 2 large companies that specialize in this area. Should read the online comment before you spend the cash.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:04 pm

A couple years back I had an issue with one sofa, and they ended up not only replacing it, but an identical one I purchased as a set. There were some hoops I had to jump through, but nothing like the reviews online. In fact, I was a little worried after reading the reviews that it was in fact a scam, but I had the exact opposite experience. Warranty was worth every penny. I suspect that the people who take the time to complain on a website about a product are not the only ones with experience with the product.

I also had a pet stain, and they sent someone out to come out and clean it. I think I could have done what they did to clean it, but on the product defect it was worth every penny.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Once upon a time man sat on a rock. He found it hard.

So he put some animal hair on the rock to make it more comfortable. But the animal hair wouldn't stay in place. So he used an animal skin to keep the hair in place. Then he used a cloth slipcover to protect the leather. Then he topped that with a plastic slip cover because cloth slipcovers cost. Finally he told the kids not to sit on the good sofa in the living room.

Today he considers buying insurance to protect the animal skin under the the cloth slipcover protected by the plastic slipcover in the living room that he doesn't use. Such is progress.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 pm

We bought a plan years ago when we spent $12,000 on bedroom furniture. We wound up using it several times. I guess Thomasville doesn't make them like they used to. One of their gotchas was that they only repair/replace each item once. You might want to verify that it is unlimited repairs with your plan. Our plan also said that it covered pets, but the fine print specifically excludd damage caused by claws or teeth. It basically only covered bodily fluids.