Coffee maker recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bungalow10

Coffee maker recommendations

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:12 pm

I want a coffee maker in the master suite. Going down to the kitchen to make coffee in the morning, at least that first cup, takes up way too much of my time... maybe I was spoiled by hotels or by the small pantry I used to have off my bedroom in our last place.

Does anyone else have a bedroom coffee maker? I have access to water in the master bath and power. I want something that won't be messy. Single cup or small pot. Doesn't need to be thermal, but can be. Doesn't need to be programmable as I typically don't think ahead that far...

Any suggestions? I was leaning towards a Nespresso, but figured I'd ask here before spending the $150+ to get one.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Clever_Username

Re: Coffee maker recommendations

Post by Clever_Username » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:27 pm

If this is for one cup at a time, why not a Keurig?
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

robebibb

Post by robebibb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Pourover with electric kettle, burr grinder, and freshly roasted beans.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 pm

robebibb wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:30 pm
Too much stuff for my bedroom, that would be a better kitchen setup (and is very close to what I have).
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Make sure the noise isn't going to be an issue.

Timer on coffee maker speeds up that first cup.

How many feet or steps from bedroom to kitchen? Unless it's very long, I'd just keep things simple and less clutter in the bedroom. Plus I could use the extra exercise, little as it is.
Last edited by inbox788 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lhl12

Post by lhl12 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:32 pm

I'd definitely go with a K-Cup machine. Keurig makes them, as do many others (licensing Keurig's technology). The pods keep a long time and you can fill the machine from your bathroom sink.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Kuerig is the simple answer.

Where are you going to dump the filter full of used grounds? You will have to carry that down to the kitchen garbage. Which would theoretically take the same amount of time as walking down to make the first cup. Except you will get a caffeine boost from your first cup in the bedroom. :wink:

Logistically pour overs, drip, etc all have some rinsing/cleanup/mess that I'm not sure you want to duplicate in the bedroom/master bath. But maybe.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:39 pm

I would suggest looking at the reviews on Amazon for a K-cup machine. I recently purchased one and love it. I believe it is a Mixspresso.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:42 pm

bungalow10 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:12 pm
Any suggestions? I was leaning towards a Nespresso, but figured I'd ask here before spending the $150+ to get one.
Nespresso would be my suggestion, but don't spend $150+ to get one. These are classic "price high and discount deeply and often" type devices. You can regularly find them below $100. For example, the Essenza Mini has an MSRP of $150, but was as low as $60 last December. They tweak the models frequently so there is always a new model number and limited sales history on specific models since they tend to not make them for long before a slightly tweaked model replaces it.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:38 pm

bungalow10 wrote:
I want a coffee maker in the master suite. Going down to the kitchen to make coffee in the morning, at least that first cup, takes up way too much of my time...
Maybe you should buy a smaller house...

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:38 pm
bungalow10 wrote:
I want a coffee maker in the master suite. Going down to the kitchen to make coffee in the morning, at least that first cup, takes up way too much of my time...
Maybe you should buy a smaller house...
LOL. First world problems. I thought the same thing. Maybe you need a moving walkway in your house like airports have. :mrgreen:

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Do you want coffee or espresso? If espresso, I'd go Nespresso in a heartbeat. Pretty good quality for a pod system, and you can get a pretty compact one. But I don't think a Nespresso machine pours a full American coffee. You'd have to go k cup for that I think. I'd go Nespresso were I in your shoes.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 pm

As much as I hate Keurig, if I wanted to do what you want, I would depend upon a K-cup to enable me to get to the kitchen for some real coffee.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 pm

I vote for Nespresso. I used to have a fancy, fully-automatic machine, and it was too complicated. Nespresso is so easy - drop in the capsule, press a button, out comes better espresso coffee than you'll get from most combinations of machine and coffee. The Indriya is my favorite. Costs around 70 cents/capsule, so more expensive than buying whole bean from most places, but the machine is less expensive. The capsules can be recycled at Nespresso shops, or you can even get prepaid bags to send them back.

Nespresso also has the Vertuo line of machines, which use different (bigger) pods, that can make espresso or standard coffee. It's targeted at the U.S. market which (as with everything else) wants a bigger size. But the pods are more expensive as well. And the machines are quite a bigger as well.

K-Cups are awful. Even by the standards of normal brewed coffee (not espresso), I find that I've never had a good cup, despite trying many different varies at car dealers, airport lounge, etc. Not even close to Nespresso in quality.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 pm
Do you want coffee or espresso? If espresso, I'd go Nespresso in a heartbeat. Pretty good quality for a pod system, and you can get a pretty compact one. But I don't think a Nespresso machine pours a full American coffee. You'd have to go k cup for that I think. I'd go Nespresso were I in your shoes.
You can run the Nespresso without a pod to add hot water to the espresso, the equivalent of an Americano and much closer to a typical American coffee in terms of strength. The capsules designed for "Lungo" are somewhere in between espresso and Americano.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34 am

02nz wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 pm
K-Cups are awful. Even by the standards of normal brewed coffee (not espresso), I find that I've never had a good cup, despite trying many different varies at car dealers, airport lounge, etc. Not even close to Nespresso in quality.
Depends on the brand of K-cup. Some generics are bad. Dunkin' makes good K-Cups. Friendly has ice-cream flavored coffee pods that are really good too. I'm branching out a bit.

I also prefer coffee to espresso, so that may be part of my preference.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:22 am

robebibb wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:30 pm
I for one appreciate your humor...and excellent taste in coffee preparation :wink:

VaR

Post by VaR » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 am

Just checking an assumption: You take your coffee black?

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:00 am

No offense, but this sounds absurd to me. The only thing different you would be doing to make your morning coffee is go down a flight of stairs and wait for it to brew since you have to make it either way in either location. Just get the exercise go downstairs and make your coffee. Also, do you want the mess in your bedroom? I wouldn’t.

ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:04 am

My wife bought me a Cuisanart 5 years ago where you can adjust the heat and strength of the coffee. Best tasting coffee I've ever had and even thought of buying an extra one because company's change models often. Haven't yet. However by coincidence Consumers Reports rated it the best also. May be to noisy or big for you. I put my cup upside down partially over the steam vent to minimize steam on cabinets and pre-heat the cup.

prudent

Post by prudent » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:48 am

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:23 am

bungalow10 wrote:
I want a coffee maker in the master suite. Going down to the kitchen to make coffee in the morning, at least that first cup, takes up way too much of my time.
Does hauling your cup and pot down to the kitchen and back to wash them afterwards take less time or are you planning on doing dishes in the bathroom sink?

IngognitoUSA

Post by IngognitoUSA » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:39 am

I agree. The future can not get here fast enough. I just want to say ‘Alexa start my day’. It should include starting coffee, turn on WiFi plugs where it can start TVs, change thermostat settings etc and a lot more.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:00 am

NextMil wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:00 am
No offense, but this sounds absurd to me. The only thing different you would be doing to make your morning coffee is go down a flight of stairs and wait for it to brew since you have to make it either way in either location. Just get the exercise go downstairs and make your coffee. Also, do you want the mess in your bedroom? I wouldn’t.
Our bathroom/dressing area/master bath is huge, maybe around 1,000 square feet if I had to estimate it (which I know is obscene - this is just what came with the house). There is plenty of space for an entire beverage center, wine bar, etc if we wanted to go that route. We have a lovely balcony too.

I can start the coffee maker, hop in the shower, and have my cup waiting when I get out. I don't like running downstairs mid-routine - and not fully dressed.

I can take my mug downstairs after I'm dressed and bring a clean one up in the evening... or wash it in the bathroom sink.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 am

ColoradoRick wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:04 am
My wife bought me a Cuisanart 5 years ago where you can adjust the heat and strength of the coffee. Best tasting coffee I've ever had and even thought of buying an extra one because company's change models often. Haven't yet. However by coincidence Consumers Reports rated it the best also. May be to noisy or big for you. I put my cup upside down partially over the steam vent to minimize steam on cabinets and pre-heat the cup.
Do you have a link?

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Think: Appliance Timer
It's nice to wake to the smell of fresh coffee.
Just remember to set up the coffee maker the night before.
Example: https://www.amazon.com/Century-Heavy-Di ... dpSrc=srch

Cop51

Post by Cop51 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:39 pm

I have a Jura A1. Retail $799, but they sell them refurbished for less, and you can possible search for PROMO code. Excellent machine. Read up on it.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:19 pm

Sounds like this is what you need, 'Coffee to the Home'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2JBFlW--UU

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:19 pm

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:19 pm
Nearly A Moose wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 pm
You can run the Nespresso without a pod to add hot water to the espresso, the equivalent of an Americano and much closer to a typical American coffee in terms of strength. The capsules designed for "Lungo" are somewhere in between espresso and Americano.
True (and I make americanos with my pump espresso maker when I don’t feel like doing pour over). I just thought OP was looking for a one-touch solution. But this is quite valid.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:22 pm

How long is the post-shower portion of your routine? If it's not terribly long, you might be better served with a commercial pot in the kitchen, which is the route I took.

My post-shower routine is about two minutes, which consists of toweling off, applying deodorant, throwing on my clothes and combing my hair. I can manage that without coffee. From that point, I'm four minutes from coffee, so six minutes total after turning the shower off. Those four minutes (and five seconds) break down like so:

15 seconds to walk from the bedroom to the kitchen, dropping off my dirty laundry along the way
20 seconds prep time, which consists of:
-tapping the start button on my grinder, which already has the filter basket in it, and a filter in the basket
-pouring a half-gallon of water in a pitcher
-moving the filter basket from the grinder to the brewer
-pouring the water from the pitcher into the brewer
3.5 minutes brew time

At the end of that four minutes, I've got a half-gallon of super-fresh, properly-brewed coffee at my disposal. That immediately goes into my breakfast mug, travel mug for the car, and 1L thermos for work. Repeat the above 20 second routine (plus an additional 10 seconds to dump the spent grounds and load a new filter), and 3.5 minutes later there's another half gallon ready for the next person. Nine minutes after stepping out of the shower, my (substantial) coffee needs for the day have been addressed--along with those of my wife--and I'm seated at the table. Not a bad way to kick off the morning.

Post by 12345 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 am

bungalow10 wrote:
I want a coffee maker in the master suite. Going down to the kitchen to make coffee in the morning, at least that first cup, takes up way too much of my time... maybe I was spoiled by hotels or by the small pantry I used to have off my bedroom in our last place.

Does anyone else have a bedroom coffee maker? I have access to water in the master bath and power. I want something that won't be messy. Single cup or small pot. Doesn't need to be thermal, but can be. Doesn't need to be programmable as I typically don't think ahead that far...

Keurig is probably the best option if you need a bedroom coffeemaker. I’ve bought it myself and probably will never switch back to other coffee maker. In case, you need more precise information considering the keurig, there’s a good stuff in homus to get acquainted.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:39 am

I'm not sure how much of a coffee snob you are, but I personally would not recommend Keurig or any of the other "capsule" coffee makers. About a year ago, we bought Behmor Brazen Plus: http://behmor.com/brazen-plus/. It's an 8 cup maker, but you can make as little as half that. It allows you to pre-soak the grounds for better extraction and has a customizable brew temp feature. It's $130, which is a good deal for a machine that allows that level of specificity. I actually roast my own beans (though I haven't been doing this lately), and this is a great coffee maker. There are some downsides--I think 8 cups is a little small if you're having folks over so you have to "brew ahead", and it does take about 10 minutes by the time it heats and brews completely. It does have a "set ahead" feature that allows you to set a desired start time--this way, when I walk into the kitchen at 5:40am, I've got a fresh pot waiting. This is a super common feature on a lot of new coffee makers.

I will probably catch flack for this, but I just am not a fan of Keurigs. I think they brew really poor quality coffee, it gets incredibly expensive to keep buying the little pods, and just seems wasteful. Some might say that brewing more coffee than you'll drink is wasteful, but we actually keep any excess we have in a cold mason jar in the fridge. I either put it in protein shakes or we drink it cold. If you start with quality beans, it still tastes great after a week in the fridge.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 am

daheld wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:39 am
I will probably catch flack for this, but I just am not a fan of Keurigs.
Neither is their inventor:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... em/386501/
“I don't have one. They're kind of expensive to use,” John Sylvan told me frankly, of Keurig K-Cups, the single-serve brewing pods that have fundamentally changed the coffee experience in recent years. “Plus it’s not like drip coffee is tough to make.” Which would seem like a pretty banal sentiment, were Sylvan not the inventor of the K-Cup.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 am
daheld wrote:
I will probably catch flack for this, but I just am not a fan of Keurigs.
Neither is their inventor:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... em/386501/
“I don't have one. They're kind of expensive to use,” John Sylvan told me frankly, of Keurig K-Cups, the single-serve brewing pods that have fundamentally changed the coffee experience in recent years. “Plus it’s not like drip coffee is tough to make.” Which would seem like a pretty banal sentiment, were Sylvan not the inventor of the K-Cup.
Saying "I just am not a fan of Keurigs" was me showing restraint. I will continue that effort--I'm REALLY not a fan. 8-)

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am

daheld wrote:
I'm not sure how much of a coffee snob you are, but I personally would not recommend Keurig or any of the other "capsule" coffee makers. About a year ago, we bought Behmor Brazen Plus: http://behmor.com/brazen-plus/. It's an 8 cup maker, but you can make as little as half that. It allows you to pre-soak the grounds for better extraction and has a customizable brew temp feature. It's $130, which is a good deal for a machine that allows that level of specificity. I actually roast my own beans (though I haven't been doing this lately), and this is a great coffee maker. There are some downsides--I think 8 cups is a little small if you're having folks over so you have to "brew ahead", and it does take about 10 minutes by the time it heats and brews completely. It does have a "set ahead" feature that allows you to set a desired start time--this way, when I walk into the kitchen at 5:40am, I've got a fresh pot waiting. This is a super common feature on a lot of new coffee makers.
Isn't "coffee soaking in the grounds" what you want to avoid with any coffee maker? The right temp water moving quickly through the right sized grounds is what takes the "good" flavors and leaves the "bad" flavors (tanins).

It is why percolator coffee gets the flavor it gets. The water goes over the grounds again and again.

Keurig has the process down, but the coffee pod cannot contain enough fresh coffee to completely perfect the process. There are weak points with most systems. I continue to think a Melitta cone, paper filter with an electric kettle is the most straightforward/bargain way to make a cup of coffee.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:04 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am
daheld wrote:
Isn't "coffee soaking in the grounds" what you want to avoid with any coffee maker?
Sorry--not following. Yes, you don't want coffee soaking excessively, but if you're referring to the comments I made about the pre-soak feature of the Behmor, it is a very short, customizable time period. I generally do a 30 second pre-soak--this allows the grounds to "bloom", which is the same method that's recommended when French pressing.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am

bungalow10 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:00 am
I don't like running downstairs mid-routine - and not fully dressed.
I recommend a bathrobe and a stair climbing mobility scooter.

"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 am

daheld wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:04 am

Sorry--not following. Yes, you don't want coffee soaking excessively, but if you're referring to the comments I made about the pre-soak feature of the Behmor, it is a very short, customizable time period. I generally do a 30 second pre-soak--this allows the grounds to "bloom", which is the same method that's recommended when French pressing.
30 seconds makes sense. "Blooming" is a process I understand. I was picturing a "5 or 10 minute soak" to really get that flavor moving.... :wink: Coffee is like investing. Many paths to the coffee you want.

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 am

I'm in an apartment, but maybe this could be adapted to your situation: I make coffee the evening before and zap it in the microwave the next morning. Usually I just leave it on the counter in a big mug with a lid in between making it and and zapping it in the morning, although maybe I should keep it in the fridge instead.

Maybe you could do something similar in your house, with a small microwave in your bedroom closet, bathroom, or even bedroom. Make the coffee the night before, and keep it in a big mug with lid overnight (in a small fridge upstairs if you want to, or maybe in an ice bucket), zap it in the upstairs microwave in the morning - and voila.

On the other hand, if you make the coffee the night before, it might not be a big deal to go downstairs, zap it in the microwave, and take it back upstairs. (Then when you go downstairs for the day, just take the empty mug with you and wash it.) That would save you from taking the time to make the coffee in the morning, and from keeping coffee making accoutrements upstairs. You might be able to stumble downstairs, zap the coffee, and take it back upstairs while still half asleep.
I don't know anything.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 am
daheld wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:04 am

30 seconds makes sense. "Blooming" is a process I understand. I was picturing a "5 or 10 minute soak" to really get that flavor moving.... :wink: Coffee is like investing. Many paths to the coffee you want.
Indeed it is. It's a really fascinating process from coffee tree to cup, and the variety of flavors you can get depending on growing region, elevation, roast level, etc., is really neat.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:46 am

Hyperborea wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am

I recommend a bathrobe and a stair climbing mobility scooter.

That thing looks like it should have a coffee maker and microwave as optional features. I want one!

katzmandu

Post by katzmandu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:27 am

Just get a refurbished Technivorm ($175-200) and you'll never wonder if you're getting anything less than the best cup of (drip) coffee. Check Newegg for the refurbs...they all go back to Denmark and anything broken is replaced.....same as new.