FB

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wander

Re: Anyone Deleting Facebook?

Post by wander »

nativenewenglander wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:59 am Yes, deleted yesterday. Stopped using it 18 months ago.
Your account has been deactivated
To reactivate your account, log in using your old login email and password. You will be able to use the site like you used to.
We hope you come back soon.
I imply that it will keep the content forever.

Have you tried to log in your account again? I deactivated it, but when I tried to login, it allowed me to login with all the contents that I thought was deleted.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Deleting Facebook is throwing out baby together with the bathwater.

The bathwater is compulsive logging in, chatting, clicking "like," and especially, fishing for "likes".

The baby is a free global platform over which you can join interest groups and get private information.

The key to distinguishing the baby from the bathwater is whether you are pulling information you want or information is pushed on you. This is similar to telephone calls: don't respond to offers pushed to you over the telephone, pull information by calling places you are interested in. The pulled is the baby; the pushed is the bathwater.

I joined Facebook in 2013 when it appeared to be the best means for me to collaborate with several people in other countries on a non-work-related project. Posting comments on Facebook was far more efficient than sending email to a number of people and getting unsynchronized responses. After that project was complete, I established a process for logging in to my Facebook account once a month. After every log in, I put on my calendar the date for the next one for one month later.

Right now, I am expecting an announcement of the registration opening for a summer event in Europe. I joined a private Facebook group associated with this event and I am receiving email from the group. I delete most of it without reading, but when the registration opens, I will know it right away.

It also so happened that recently I joined another private group discussing a health related issue I am interested in. I had an unscheduled log in to read group's previous posts and composed my own long post with the specific issue that interests me. I received responses over email. Now I have a few other questions and I may log in to the group a few more times.

For as long as I am controlling my Facebook exposure and deriving value, I want it to live.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

No. I keep in touch with my Family with it.The fact that Advertisers target you is the price you pay. No big Deal
All the Best, | Joe
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:12 am It's like suggesting I usher out the invisible pink unicorn.

PJW
So, let's talk about the Invisible Pink Unicorn. :P
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

I have an account but discovered that I'm not that interested in the lives of acquaintences. I no longer waste time with it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:01 pm The baby is a free global platform over which you can join interest groups and get private information.
Probably about 75% of the organizations I am involved with and need information from ONLY have Facebook pages because they are easy and free to create. Not having a Facebook account would mean not being informed.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm
grayfox wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm I also deleted all my pictures and posts about 2 years ago. I tried to delete the account, but couldn't figure out how. I don't think there is a link on the site to the delete button. So I changed my Facebook user name to a fake name.

Here's the funny thing: Somehow, my iPhone also changed my name to the fake Facebook name. I do not have the Facebook app on my iPhone.

So now my iPhone thinks I am the fake name I changed it to on Facebook. Facebook must gave its tentacles into everything. I hope it doesn't change my bank account to the fake name.
Apples got its tentacles in everything too. In this case - it isn't that Facebook did something - its that Apple did something. You need to delete your Apple account if this bothers you.
Why do you say Apple has sold my info? There is no proof that I know of.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I would delete the FB account I rarely use, however my homeowner's association has a FB group and that is how we communicate with each other. There are also a few living sporting events that I like to watch on there.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I had a day off, and I spent it watching the live testimony. Yes, I had nothing better to do and need to get a life 8-)

It's fascinating (and infuriating) that Facebook apparently collects information even on non-Facebook users. One of the congressmen asked how it is possible for users to "consent" or "opt out" or exercise "control" over their information when they don't even have a Facebook account and never agreed to the terms of service. Zuckerberg did not have a good response to that, only justifying it in terms of what FB needs (he claims it's for security to prevent fake accounts). Apparently they have 29,000 data points on the average user, so they can predict with reasonable degree of accuracy what the average FB user likes, believes in, or will behave. It's extremely creepy.

I think people aren't as outraged as they would otherwise be because they don't understand how detailed this tracking can be. I didn't know, for example, that FB is able to track all your activity as long as there's a "Like" button on that page. Now, lots and lots of highly intimate websites have "Like" buttons on their pages. Some examples that were given included: FB knows if you're clicking on particular prescription medication and can therefore guess if you have a particular condition; [OT comment removed by moderator prudent] another example I read - FB can even predict if someone is a danger to themselves based on their web activity and has taken it upon themselves to alert authorities in these cases.

I mean, WOW, just WOW!

Yes, I deleted my FB account! #DeleteFacebook
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:27 am
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm Apples got its tentacles in everything too. In this case - it isn't that Facebook did something - its that Apple did something. You need to delete your Apple account if this bothers you.
I never said Apple sold your info. I don't know whether they have or have not (yet). They do have a big-data repository which includes all the information that they have been able to collect on you just like all the big tech players you interact on. Its yet to be seen what they will / will-not do with this data over the years. Some folks in this thread seem to think Facebook is the only big-data repository on individuals.
Calico

Post by Calico »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 am I had a day off, and I spent it watching the live testimony. Yes, I had nothing better to do and need to get a life 8-)

It's fascinating (and infuriating) that Facebook apparently collects information even on non-Facebook users. One of the congressmen asked how it is possible for users to "consent" or "opt out" or exercise "control" over their information when they don't even have a Facebook account and never agreed to the terms of service. Zuckerberg did not have a good response to that, only justifying it in terms of what FB needs (he claims it's for security to prevent fake accounts). Apparently they have 29,000 data points on the average user, so they can predict with reasonable degree of accuracy what the average FB user likes, believes in, or will behave. It's extremely creepy.

I think people aren't as outraged as they would otherwise be because they don't understand how detailed this tracking can be. I didn't know, for example, that FB is able to track all your activity as long as there's a "Like" button on that page. Now, lots and lots of highly intimate websites have "Like" buttons on their pages. Some examples that were given included: FB knows if you're clicking on particular prescription medication and can therefore guess if you have a particular condition; [OT comment removed by moderator prudent] another example I read - FB can even predict if someone is a danger to themselves based on their web activity and has taken it upon themselves to alert authorities in these cases.

I mean, WOW, just WOW!

Yes, I deleted my FB account! #DeleteFacebook
I haven't been able to watch any of the proceedings, but did they explain "How" they are collecting data on non-Facebook users?

I keep debating if I should delete my account or not. It's the only social media I use and I like it because I live far away from most of my family now (and it's a great way to see what's going on in each other's lives and share pictures). I have all my privacy settings to the highest possible, don't make friends with people I don't know outside of Facebook, and I don't share or like things that aren't private posts (for example, if someone shares a news story from a third part, I won't like or comment on it. But I will comment on a picture of my cousin's birthday party I missed). I used to sometimes click on them and read them, but most anymore are click bait and I stopped doing that too. Now it's just reading the posts and looking at the pictures shared by relatives and friends. I also belong to two groups: one for my neighborhood HOA and one for my daughter's Girl Scout Troop.

I honestly don't care too much if advertisers use my information. I've seen them do it (when I do car research online, I notice suddenly I get advertisements from car manufacturers in Facebook). But I don't like that, while my privacy settings are set to the hilt, I still seem to get random friend invites from people I don't know (no connection to me at all, not even friends of friends) and it makes me wonder how they are finding out about me if I am supposed to have all these maximum settings. I wonder if scammers are getting my information. That bugs me more than tracking my consumer habits.
ENT Doc

Post by ENT Doc »

Deleted recently. FB has become a medium for people to try to feel important and boast, and in more extreme ways than they would in a face to face conversation. Their transition from platform to publisher/regulator of information doesn't help either.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

Calico wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 am I haven't been able to watch any of the proceedings, but did they explain "How" they are collecting data on non-Facebook users?
I watched it and still have no idea. I think Zuckerberg was willfully evading certain questions and congress people were not up to speed on tech enough to challenge. Imagine trying to pin down your car mechanic on what he’s doing to your car and why it’s justified and you have no idea how a car works.

This hearing was a complete waste of time, IMO and Zuckerberg pulled an Eddie Haskell on them. “You have a lovely home here, Mrs. Cleaver.”
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

AntsOnTheMarch wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:32 am
Calico wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 am I haven't been able to watch any of the proceedings, but did they explain "How" they are collecting data on non-Facebook users?
I watched it and still have no idea. I think Zuckerberg was willfully evading certain questions and congress people were not up to speed on tech enough to challenge. Imagine trying to pin down your car mechanic on what he’s doing to your car and why it’s justified and you have no idea how a car works.

This hearing was a complete waste of time, IMO and Zuckerberg pulled an Eddie Haskell on them. “You have a lovely home here, Mrs. Cleaver.”
You're right about not being up to speed. During yesterday's testimony one of the congressmen referred to "silicone" valley, with that pronunciation -- where's that? Never joined FB, never will.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 am
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm Apples got its tentacles in everything too. In this case - it isn't that Facebook did something - its that Apple did something. You need to delete your Apple account if this bothers you.
I never said Apple sold your info. I don't know whether they have or have not (yet). They do have a big-data repository which includes all the information that they have been able to collect on you just like all the big tech players you interact on. Its yet to be seen what they will / will-not do with this data over the years. Some folks in this thread seem to think Facebook is the only big-data repository on individuals.
FYI, Apple knows my viewing habits, and music via iTunes. I put nothing on iCloud. I don't backup to iCloud. Amazon is tricky since I buy from them maybe once a month. No video or music though. Google - hate the ads they choose - spooky since it represents where I have gone on the web. Facebook, I have an empty profile. Nothing posted. Just wanted to see what it was about. I use A web site called Ravelry ( for knitters, crocheters, weavers, spinners and other fiber crafts) which is password protected and moderated. Supported by ads and donations.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 pm
FYI, Apple knows my viewing habits, and music via iTunes. I put nothing on iCloud. I don't backup to iCloud. Amazon is tricky since I buy from them maybe once a month. No video or music though. Google - hate the ads they choose - spooky since it represents where I have gone on the web. Facebook, I have an empty profile. Nothing posted. Just wanted to see what it was about. I use A web site called Ravelry ( for knitters, crocheters, weavers, spinners and other fiber crafts) which is password protected and moderated. Supported by ads and donations.
They are far more sophisticated on collecting data on you than you realize. Its not just about how you use their service - they collect data on you through tracking cookies and several other means not to mention simply buying what they desire from aggregators.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Facebook has always been this way. I don't understand why people are suddenly concerned about them collecting and selling the same information about you that they have been doing since day 1.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I was on Facebook from the beginning. Still on Facebook. I enjoy being able to communicate with friends and family as well as make new friends around the world. If you are concerned enough about Facebook privacy issues by deleting your account you shouldn't be using Google or any email app either. You might as well stop using your smartphone and start carrying around a roll of quarters to use at payphones (if you can find one) should you need to call someone.
Last edited by Gort on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 pm
They are far more sophisticated on collecting data on you than you realize. Its not just about how you use their service - they collect data on you through tracking cookies and several other means not to mention simply buying what they desire from aggregators.
I delete cookies every day and also history.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

I wish Facebook and others actually collected more data and got better at their job. Yes, they seem to know that I was looking for a BMW 235i to buy but they haven't figured out that I've already bought one. Now would be a good time for them to start sending me ads on accessories for my BMW instead of carmax ads. If at some point the advertising becomes too much then I will use that service less. It's a lot like TV advertising except social media sites should be able to do a better job of advertising to me since they know so much. As far as the political ads, I'm not influenced by political ads. Having lived in Iowa for the last 30+ years, I've seen so much political advertising that I can block it out and know not to believe any of it.

I'm actually impressed when these companies get it right. I have google home devices throughout my house and I know they are listening because I'll go to my Android phone and look at the recommended stories and it will display info about a TV show I was just watching. I'll be even more impressed when they can start to anticipating my next move. I'll wake up in the morning and Google will know I'm up. They know it takes me 15 seconds to walk to the bathroom so they start my radio in 15 seconds start my customized news (Same as Hey Google Good Morning). Then 15 minutes later it will know that it's 20 below zero so it starts my car and brews me some coffee. 99% of the time I'm heading to work at 5:30am so it automatically sends my GPS to that site. On the way to the office I get in an accident and it calls my wife and 911. Since I'll be going to the hospital it automatically send an email to the hospital with my insurance info along with a note telling them that I'm allergic to ***. And so one.
Last edited by dsmclone on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

I initiated the Facebook account delete procedure a few days ago. I never used my account for anything anyway. When I downloaded the data they had on me, there was almost nothing there. I worry more about Amazon.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

I deleted it about 6 years ago.

Became much less interesting post-college life.
I do not have any "social media" accounts.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 pm They are far more sophisticated on collecting data on you than you realize. Its not just about how you use their service - they collect data on you through tracking cookies and several other means not to mention simply buying what they desire from aggregators.
The tracking cookies are fairly easy to neuter, though. Just disable "3rd party cookies" in your browser completely . No more ads for BMWs or anything you have searched for. You can of course also delete cookies manually, but that's much more tedious, and you will need to login again every time, and the cookies will just come back every time you login.
3rd party cookies disabling also helps you not get creepy ads for things you have searched on one site when you go to another, such as with searches on google, amazon, your news site, and so forth.
goaapl

Post by goaapl »

I did not delete the account but deleted the app from all my devices (it tracks like crazy). Also made sure all the privacy options are set to restrict everyone and every app. When I want to check something, I login from my PC browser in incognito mode and once I am done, logout and close the browser.
wander

Post by wander »

I deleted my account permanently (I am sure Facebook still stores it somewhere). Facebook only provides a button to deactivate account in the Settings area. Deactivation isn't any different from still having an account. There is a delete option in Help Center. You can try "How to delete account permanently", it gives you option to download and another link (something like "let us know") leads to a delete button. After delete an account, you still have 14 days to change your mind.
Mydanyale

Post by Mydanyale »

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42298789/ns/h ... epression/

Regular use is bad for mental health
Mydanyale

Post by Mydanyale »

goaapl wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:14 pm I did not delete the account but deleted the app from all my devices (it tracks like crazy). Also made sure all the privacy options are set to restrict everyone and every app. When I want to check something, I login from my PC browser in incognito mode and once I am done, logout and close the browser.
Good strategy
A+
Allan

Post by Allan »

I'm 67 and use Facebook groups. The regular feed doesn't interest me much but I belong to a few groups that I do find enjoyable. One group is my hometown I grew up in, people post photos and discussions about things that happened 30-50 years ago. I've met up with people I knew in grade school, high school. Kind of fun. Another group is just for home builders (what I do), we exchange ideas and have discussions. And I keep up with distant family. I find it to be harmless.

Allan
whomever

Post by whomever »

but did they explain "How" they are collecting data on non-Facebook users?
Not a facebook expert, or even user, but for example: FriendA joins fb and OK's fb accessing her Contacts. Now fb knows that FriendA is connected to me (and my email, phone numbers, perhaps birthday, address, ...). Then FriendB does the same - now fb has the FriendA-me-FriendB link mapped. When FriendA tags the faces in that picture of the neighborhood BBQ, fb now has my picture - and can start doing the facial recognition thing to find other photos of me. If a lot of my similar age friends list themselves as alumni of StateU, fb can make some guesses about where I went to school.

I dunno how far fb takes things, but most of us have probably looked at those sites that match previous addresses and names and work out a fairly accurate family tree.

All of this is without my ever accessing fb whatsoever.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Sen. Hatch: Mr. Zuckerberg, how do you make money on this site?

M. Zuckerberg: Advertising.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
wander

Post by wander »

Facebook Bug Made 14 Million Users’ Accounts Public
A software bug made millions of private Facebook accounts publicly viewable last month, the social network announced on Thursday.
In total, up to 14 million users around the world had their share settings on Facebook switched to “public.” The glitch was live from May 18 to May 27. Recode was first to report.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

I only facebook in my old high school facebook group. Can all the world read that or just folks in the group? I think you have to join the group to read it.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

ENT Doc wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:19 am Deleted recently. FB has become a medium for people to try to feel important and boast, and in more extreme ways than they would in a face to face conversation. Their transition from platform to publisher/regulator of information doesn't help either.
ain't that the truth. Facebook and really almost any social media sites encourage this.

My usage frequency probably has decreased from once a month in Spring 2017 to to one sign-in every two or three months now. Can't remember the last time I signed in. Will get around to actual deletion one of these days
Mydanyale wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 am
goaapl wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:14 pm I did not delete the account but deleted the app from all my devices (it tracks like crazy). Also made sure all the privacy options are set to restrict everyone and every app. When I want to check something, I login from my PC browser in incognito mode and once I am done, logout and close the browser.
Good strategy
A+
indeed

while I'm at it, most google stuff gets routed to a VPN server in Europe. Only down side is BoA would not let you access using a VPN.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I didn't feel the need to delete it, but on January 1st I deactivated my account and I am not going back into the mouth of madness. Fakebook just became high school all over again. I wasn't a fan of high school and couldn't wait to get out in 1982, so why would I voluntarily go back. Sure it was nice to see what the old girlfriend has been up to and friends I haven't seen in a long time, but now that I got that out of my system, I realize some things are better left in the past.

It got to the point of not wanting to know all this information about people I really don't know any longer and for me the worst part is realizing some of the people I really liked back then shared some of their fundamental beliefs about life, society, politics, religion, etc. that made my skin crawl. I rather remember them when they were not so jaded and more likeable.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
squirm

Post by squirm »

Never been on Facebook, twitter, etc. Never had a need even if Bogleheads.org sinks to the bottom and starts to require a Facebook or Google account to login, I still won't signup for either.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I never signed up.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

squirm wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:14 pm Never been on Facebook, twitter, etc. Never had a need even if Bogleheads.org sinks to the bottom and starts to require a Facebook or Google account to login, I still won't signup for either.
Relax. There's a zero, zip, nada, no way, chance of using social media on this site.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc »

I have had my facebook deactivated for the last 7 months. Most productive and content 7 months in recent memory. Best shape of my life, not as reactive, equanimity throughout the day, etc. I recommend this to everyone. Your social life won't end, I promise. It will just become more authentic.

I hesitate to DELETE it totally. Reason is, if you are reasonably known or a physician, couldn't someone just fraudulently create an account in your exact name after you delete it? May be better to just leave it deactivated. Thoughts?
I'm not looking to get rich quick (stocks), I'm not looking to get rich slow (indexing), I'm looking to get rich, for sure (real estate) | Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate.. and wait.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I have no information on facebook that I consider private.

I use it a lot, as the younger generation in my family posts news and photos, and it is a great way to get updates from organizations I am interested in and to participate in old house, crafts, etc. groups. If the Russians or Monsanto want to know I'm interested in knitting, they can go right ahead.

Particularly for an older person like myself living in the boonies, it adds to life.

I don't understand this shock and paranoia. If you don't want the world to know something, don't post it. If you think some of your "Friends" or others posting to the groups you are in are idiots, unfriend or block them.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Old Thread

My wife inadvertently reactivated her FB account while dealing with an online merchant. She's now getting a couple of dozen, sometimes many more, requests a day to friend from people she knows (a few) and most she doesn't know.

She tried to logon to FB so she could delete the account but didn't have her password. Tried to reset the PW, but was prompted to validate who she is by choosing several suggested people, most she hasn't dealt with in years or never, to have several of them each set a PIN for her. The alternative is to upload pdfs of various national IDs (drivers,passport,etc).

Seems no other options are available to delete your account?

In lieu of the above options, she's chosen to shut off FB notifications on her cell phone.

Any suggestions for a permanent deletion?
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Can't delete it if you never had it. Just don't have the time to review everyone's life all the time. I keep in contact with my friends, peripheral stuff is no different than click bait. Not actionable.

DW does, but not as much over time, it is amazing how awesome everyone's life is, with occasional drama thrown in from time to time to remind everyone that they can awesomely overcome those hurdles as well.

Anyone want to see a picture of the chicken Marsala I ate today? Of course, with the accompanying glass of wine. Awesome.

Bogleheads is a better site anyway.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
BeanCity

Post by BeanCity »

Day two of deleting all my social media, and it is honestly an uncomfortable feeling so far. I enjoy using twitter for news more than anything. However, I recognize that most of my social media usage is really not adding value to my life. So I am being radical : )

Plus I don't like how they track all my habits!
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

^ same here.
Never had it, never will.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

BeanCity wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:08 pm Day two of deleting all my social media, and it is honestly an uncomfortable feeling so far. I enjoy using twitter for news more than anything. However, I recognize that most of my social media usage is really not adding value to my life. So I am being radical : )

Plus I don't like how they track all my habits!
They literally build their interfaces to be addicting and to try and influence a habit of repeatedly visiting the site(s)/app.
It can take a little bit of time to get over it and find something else to fill the time/space it left.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

heartwood wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:45 pm Old Thread

My wife inadvertently reactivated her FB account while dealing with an online merchant. She's now getting a couple of dozen, sometimes many more, requests a day to friend from people she knows (a few) and most she doesn't know.

She tried to logon to FB so she could delete the account but didn't have her password. Tried to reset the PW, but was prompted to validate who she is by choosing several suggested people, most she hasn't dealt with in years or never, to have several of them each set a PIN for her. The alternative is to upload pdfs of various national IDs (drivers,passport,etc).

Seems no other options are available to delete your account?

In lieu of the above options, she's chosen to shut off FB notifications on her cell phone.

Any suggestions for a permanent deletion?
I thought you only got to those options if you no longer had access to the email and/or phone number associated with the account. Are you sure you didn’t miss a choice?
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

I got on Facebook when you still needed a college email address to join.

I decided to quit when two things happened in very close succession. The first one was when my friend posted all these pictures from her trip and she bragged about how great it was. Then when I saw her in person and asked her about the trip, she kept complaining how terrible it was.
The second one was when a different friend posted a pic of her family for mother's day bragging about how great her husband was. Well, my wife met with this lady, and this lady wouldn't stop complaining about her husband and saying how much she resents her husband.

FB is all fake.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

My experience with FB:
1. Over a decade or so I received less that 5 friendship requests from people I don't know.
2. As time passes I have less patience for it. It used to be better and more concentrated, I could see my friends, now is just to full of adds. I can barely spend 5 minutes a day in it.
3. However it is great and useful to keep in touch, setting up meetings with groups of friends around the world etc. I had many meetings with old friends only because FB.
Overall, very positive impact on my life. IO see not much negative in it, for a free service at least.

PS: today I did not even mange to open it.
zeal

Post by zeal »

I deleted the Facebook app from my phone ages ago, but installed the Messenger app. No notifications from Facebook ever this way (even if you turn off notifications, they still send them to you). If someone needs to reach me & doesn't have my number, they can find me on Messenger. I look at Facebook once a year: the day after my birthday to thank others for birthday wishes and catch up. It works pretty well for me--Messenger allows me to talk to friends without bothering with the ads & newsfeed.
scotthew

Post by scotthew »

While I find it not useful for maintaining contact with most of my Gen X in conventional family arrangements (most of whom don't use it), it is incredibly useful for all my social networking outside of that cohort. There are groups for many of my pursuits, especially the music scene where I have made new friends and maintain friendships with people I meet on the scene. While agree, Facebook enables much evil and exploitation, the benefits outweigh those. It is also incredibly useful for discovering events in my area. So, yes, if you are married with kids and you have no room for new friends and events, then it will probably not be useful. Otherwise, it's indispensable.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I deleted it around a year ago. I don’t miss it, except for one or two people whose photos included my kids. I can get those photos elsewhere.

FB has a lot to answer for.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.