Anyone Deleting Facebook?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: Anyone Deleting Facebook?

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:23 am

madbrain wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:48 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 am
Cal Newport, the author of "Deep Work" and "So Good They Can't Ignore You," wrote a Facebook related blog post,
"Beyond #DeleteFacebook: More Thoughts on Embracing the Social Internet Over Social Media" http://calnewport.com/blog/2018/03/25/b ... ial-media/

In the article, Newport recommends two approaches to social media:
Approach #1: The Slow Social Media Philosophy
Approach #2: Own Your Own Domain

Approach #1 is using social media for your explicit purposes and nothing else. Don't click "like," don't follow links unrelated to your primary purpose of visiting, don't install applications.

Approach #2 is related to the ownership of your intellectual property. Facebook owns the fruits of your thinking labor, and it can use it, change it, or remove it at will. You want the fruits of your thinking to be exhibited on your own web site under your own control and to your credit.

Victoria
Problem with approach #2 is how to get eyeballs. There are so many websites. FB pages make it easy to have an audience, if that's what you desire.
I have very occasionally blogged, and get some views from search engines, but it has been extremely minimal, compared to facebook traffic on my private page, even with a relatively small number of "friends".
It's true, but the eyeballs on your own site are of higher quality. Someone scanning your Facebook message will erase it from the consciousness 2 seconds later. Someone visiting your blog because it was recommended by a search engine, or because he is your fan, will read more deliberately and retain more information.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:31 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:23 am
It's true, but the eyeballs on your own site are of higher quality. Someone scanning your Facebook message will erase it from the consciousness 2 seconds later. Someone visiting your blog because it was recommended by a search engine, or because he is your fan, will read more deliberately and retain more information.
Unfortunately, even that isn't true. A large portion of the comments that come to the blog are from spambots simply embedding hidden links to their own sites in order to raise their search engine profiles ! I have had to turn on comment moderation because of this.
No doubt these spam bots found the blog through search engines in the first place.

While not as problematic as facebook, it is still an issue that the gate keepers of information are search engines, making your own content very hard to find or even almost completely invisible.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm

madbrain wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:31 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:23 am
Unfortunately, even that isn't true. A large portion of the comments that come to the blog are from spambots simply embedding hidden links to their own sites in order to raise their search engine profiles ! I have had to turn on comment moderation because of this.
No doubt these spam bots found the blog through search engines in the first place.

While not as problematic as facebook, it is still an issue that the gate keepers of information are search engines, making your own content very hard to find or even almost completely invisible.
Good points. The problem is exacerbated by the tricks for search engine optimization that turn search into the arms race for the eyeballs.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 pm

jibantik wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:01 pm
Facebook serves one person, easy birthday and holiday wishes to extended family. How else do you guys do that??
So, you post your name, your true birthday, and have links to the names of your family. Probably can get your mother's maiden name, where you grew up, what school you went to, and even the name of your pets. Do you use any of that information to protect bank accounts or other challenge questions?

Open Facebook, go to Settings, and open your Activity Log. This is everything Facebook knows about you: what you like, what you've posted, where you've been. Would any of these reveal anything you don't want known to strangers?

Now google your name, cross reference it with the information on Facebook to make sure it's got the same person. This will fill in the remaining blanks.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 pm

wolf359 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 pm
jibantik wrote:
Facebook serves one person, easy birthday and holiday wishes to extended family. How else do you guys do that??
So, you post your name, your true birthday, and have links to the names of your family. Probably can get your mother's maiden name, where you grew up, what school you went to, and even the name of your pets. Do you use any of that information to protect bank accounts or other challenge questions?

Open Facebook, go to Settings, and open your Activity Log. This is everything Facebook knows about you: what you like, what you've posted, where you've been. Would any of these reveal anything you don't want known to strangers?

Now google your name, cross reference it with the information on Facebook to make sure it's got the same person. This will fill in the remaining blanks.
According to Facebook I am 109 years old , or maybe 112 or 105 or 117....I forget exactly, which is probably appropriate given my advanced age. If anything that might obfuscate Cambridge Analytica's demographic conclusions and the Russians might wind up backing the wrong guy. I haven't been getting any targeted ads for prune juice or headstones so I don't think the advertisers have found me.

And the presumed ethnic sound of my pseudonym may further confuse their bot. For all I know, I might actually be doing the world a favor by retaining my account and messing with the Russians (laughing.....)

It's also nice to have two birthdays....makes me feel loved more often.

Bur really- when you receive birthday greetings in a Facebook message, do you ever remember who sent them a day or two later, or care? It's not like a card on your mantlepiece.

Once again....for those of you who are seriously worried about your FAcebook data being mined, assuming you don't post anything too personal, why are you not worried about who might have access to your Bogleheads information, where you may have disclosed intimate details of your finances, and not just what you ate for dinner or a photo of your cat? Yes, you have a pseudonym here....but jeez, why don't you have one on Facebook as well? And I'm not picking on Bogleheads specifically- my guess is that it is pretty secure, but I don't know that- how do you know who or what institutions you can trust, including this one, or who may be hacked? It seems strange to be on one open internet platform where lots of intimate details are constantly posted and at the same time worrying deeply about your privacy if you are on another. It's all the same cyberspace.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:15 am

protagonist wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 pm
Once again....for those of you who are seriously worried about your FAcebook data being mined, assuming you don't post anything too personal, why are you not worried about who might have access to your Bogleheads information, where you may have disclosed intimate details of your finances, and not just what you ate for dinner or a photo of your cat? Yes, you have a pseudonym here....but jeez, why don't you have one on Facebook as well? And I'm not picking on Bogleheads specifically- my guess is that it is pretty secure, but I don't know that- how do you know who or what institutions you can trust, including this one, or who may be hacked? It seems strange to be on one open internet platform where lots of intimate details are constantly posted and at the same time worrying deeply about your privacy if you are on another. It's all the same cyberspace.
It's against the T.O.S for Facebook to use pseudonyms vs legal names. When they find out, they disable the FB account. This has caused many issues for transgender people, even Facebook's own employees, who were allowed to use different named while employed, and not anymore after leaving Facebook.

This issue has affected many different communities.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook_ ... ontroversy .
Just glanced over this page. The Vietnamese case is hilarious.

Of course, having legal names is part of how Facebook monetizes their users. Just be glad they haven't found you out yet.

Indeed, you never know who can be hacked. However, financial institutions and most other sites don't have records of your your political leanings, whereas Facebook can easily figure one out, if you post anything at all to Facebook, or just from your "likes". This can be very problematic, especially in non-democratic countries if such information falls into the wrong hands.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:19 am

wolf359 wrote:
I didn't see "where you have been" in my Facebook activity log. Did you ?

Funny story. A few years ago, after a vacation, Google created a video showing all my travels to different countries and cities on a map. And mixed in were some photos I had taken in those places, that had been automatically uploaded to google due to the backup feature. The problem was not just the creepiness of the GPS tracking that had occurred, but also that this was a XXX-rated movie, something the google algorithms apparently were not smart enough to pick up on when choosing which photos to put into this movie. I disabled auto-upload of my photos to google that day, and deleted all my google location history data as well.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/google-photos-assistant/

I wouldn't by any means call that vacation album "perfect", though I did get a good chuckle out of that.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:19 am

Never used FB or had any interest in it. Remember what actress Betty White said about FB during her SNL monologue back in 2010? She described it as a "big waste of time" and I agree with that. Glad to see so many here who are dropping it or who, like me, never had it to begin with.

Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:32 am

I tried joining Facebook once but they rejected my face

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:33 am

madbrain wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:15 am
protagonist wrote:
It's against the T.O.S for Facebook to use pseudonyms vs legal names. When they find out, they disable the FB account.

Indeed, you never know who can be hacked. However, financial institutions and most other sites don't have records of your your political leanings, whereas Facebook can easily figure one out, if you post anything at all to Facebook, or just from your "likes". This can be very problematic, especially in non-democratic countries if such information falls into the wrong hands.
I was kicked off Facebook for having a pseudonym last year. My pseudonym was rather ridiculous and over the top, and it took them 13 years to figure out that I might not be a real person. I thought it ironic that despite all the Nazis and pedophiles on Facebook, they chose to come after me for being a musician with a funny name. It reminded me of the Group W bench in Alice's Restaurant.

They then froze my account and refused to let me back in unless I gave them a verifiable phone number, a copy of my driver's license or passport, and a pound of flesh closest to my heart. It all made me laugh. I just stopped using Facebook for about half a year until I had a reason to want to go back (a particular need at the time requiring contact with a certain musician colleague- otherwise I probably would have just stayed off). At that point I just opened a new account with a more believable (though less fun) pseudonym, and otherwise just silly demographics. It took about 5 minutes. The fact that it worked confirms my suspicion that, as you suggested, they haven't found me yet. Not that it is difficult to find me- I do have an IP address and I post things, including photos, that would make it easy to trace at least the city in which I live and the circles in which I travel. But like I said before, why would they bother with 2 billion users, most of whom are such low hanging fruit?

If our society becomes more despotic , which I fear is a real possibility, then I suppose I am toast. But if you use Google Chrome or use a cell phone or buy books on Amazon or store data in the cloud (something I NEVER do), or maybe just post stuff like this on Bogleheads, so are you.

Regarding vulnerability, what I have posted here would probably be more valuable to data miners than what I generally post on Facebook....and if you think Mercer et al could not profile a typical Bogleheads' political leanings from the kind of stuff he or she posts here, then you are way more trusting than I am. I would back that up with a reference but it might be seen as a political post. As I stated previously, I don't do "likes" for the same reason you pointed out.

Facebook is a tool, which, like many tools, perhaps technology in general, can be used for good or for evil. And like many huge corporations, Facebook is run by a person who is arguably more concerned with wealth and power than with the impact of his business on society. How we as consumers use the technology is what is important. I like to think that I am one of the "good guys", and maybe I am even confusing Mercer. Zuckerberg, Putin et al in a small way by messing with their heads, which puts a smile on my face. (I also acknowledge that the three of them are way smarter than I am and I just hope they don't get the last laugh).

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:31 am

madbrain wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:19 am
wolf359 wrote:
I didn't see "where you have been" in my Facebook activity log. Did you ?

Funny story. A few years ago, after a vacation, Google created a video showing all my travels to different countries and cities on a map. And mixed in were some photos I had taken in those places, that had been automatically uploaded to google due to the backup feature. The problem was not just the creepiness of the GPS tracking that had occurred, but also that this was a XXX-rated movie, something the google algorithms apparently were not smart enough to pick up on when choosing which photos to put into this movie. I disabled auto-upload of my photos to google that day, and deleted all my google location history data as well.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/google-photos-assistant/

I wouldn't by any means call that vacation album "perfect", though I did get a good chuckle out of that.
There's a location aware feature, to see if any friends are present where you are. If location aware is turned on, where you have been is also available. In addition, it lets you "check in" at restaurants and other landmarks.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:41 am

protagonist wrote:
wolf359 wrote:
jibantik wrote:

According to Facebook I am 109 years old , or maybe 112 or 105 or 117....I forget exactly, which is probably appropriate given my advanced age. If anything that might obfuscate Cambridge Analytica's demographic conclusions and the Russians might wind up backing the wrong guy. I haven't been getting any targeted ads for prune juice or headstones so I don't think the advertisers have found me.

And the presumed ethnic sound of my pseudonym may further confuse their bot. For all I know, I might actually be doing the world a favor by retaining my account and messing with the Russians (laughing.....)

It's also nice to have two birthdays....makes me feel loved more often.

Bur really- when you receive birthday greetings in a Facebook message, do you ever remember who sent them a day or two later, or care? It's not like a card on your mantlepiece.

I HAVEN'T posted any intimate details of my finances. If I wanted to do so, I would do so anonymously, with a throw away account (people coordinate this with the moderators from time to time.)

Actually, all your details are already hacked, and I do worry about that. I am assuming you have a credit card, paid a bill, or have a bank account. If so, you were probably part of the Equifax breach. Have you locked your credit yet?

And I can't believe that people still do business with Wells Fargo, who is in the news yet again for a new fraud against their customers (wealth management division this time.)

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:18 am

Never really understood how they generated such enormous wealth. I mean I understand the mechanism, but as a working class guy I just don't "get it". The money always seemed too easy, but that's just me. Saw an interesting quote in our local Sunday paper from the 1970s, a precept about television back then, that could be applied to Facebook today - "If you are not paying for a product, then you are the product." The guy that said that, that guy, he "got it".
Rule 1. Never lose money. Rule 2. Never forget Rule 1.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:02 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:33 am
I just stopped using Facebook for about half a year until I had a reason to want to go back (a particular need at the time requiring contact with a certain musician colleague- otherwise I probably would have just stayed off). At that point I just opened a new account with a more believable (though less fun) pseudonym, and otherwise just silly demographics. It took about 5 minutes. The fact that it worked confirms my suspicion that, as you suggested, they haven't found me yet. Not that it is difficult to find me- I do have an IP address and I post things, including photos, that would make it easy to trace at least the city in which I live and the circles in which I travel. But like I said before, why would they bother with 2 billion users, most of whom are such low hanging fruit?
To open a new Facebook account, do you need to use a different email address? And if you do, it means that you have to regularly check another email account. Also, if you are a member of several groups under your primary account, you need to reestablish group memberships under the new account. This takes a few minutes to establish, but the ongoing maintenance of multiple accounts is burdensome. This worked for you, because you have lost your initial account and now you have a new single primary account. Getting a secondary account, in my opinion, is less practical.

Victoria

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:08 pm

lws6772 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:18 am
Never really understood how they generated such enormous wealth. I mean I understand the mechanism, but as a working class guy I just don't "get it". The money always seemed too easy, but that's just me. Saw an interesting quote in our local Sunday paper from the 1970s, a precept about television back then, that could be applied to Facebook today - "If you are not paying for a product, then you are the product." The guy that said that, that guy, he "got it".
That "guy" is right. And to only a slightly lesser degree if you are getting a great bargain (like access to any movie you want online for $10/month or any song you want for 99 cents or a portable computer for a few hundred dollars).

The fact is the internet has redefined and is continuing to redefine the world economy.....This is our reality, with all its strengths and weaknesses. Us old farts miss the 90s when it all still seemed like just fun.

Regarding people coming up with silly ideas and making a fortune when they go viral, that has always been the case (remember pet rocks?) The difference is that with the internet there are so many more opportunities to reach billions and make billions (instead of millions), but the idea is hardly new.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:02 pm
protagonist wrote:
I just stopped using Facebook for about half a year until I had a reason to want to go back (a particular need at the time requiring contact with a certain musician colleague- otherwise I probably would have just stayed off). At that point I just opened a new account with a more believable (though less fun) pseudonym, and otherwise just silly demographics. It took about 5 minutes. The fact that it worked confirms my suspicion that, as you suggested, they haven't found me yet. Not that it is difficult to find me- I do have an IP address and I post things, including photos, that would make it easy to trace at least the city in which I live and the circles in which I travel. But like I said before, why would they bother with 2 billion users, most of whom are such low hanging fruit?
To open a new Facebook account, do you need to use a different email address? And if you do, it means that you have to regularly check another email account.

Victoria
Why? I did create a new email account . I would never link my valid email address with my Facebook account in any way, so why would I ever check it? (Give Google and Facebook permission to share all my mined data???? So that Zuckerberg can read all my emails? Do you think I am nuts????).
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:16 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:
To open a new Facebook account, do you need to use a different email address? And if you do, it means that you have to regularly check another email account.

Victoria
Why? I did create a new email account but I forget the address. I would never link my valid email address with my Facebook account in any way, so why would I ever check it? (Give Google and Facebook permission to share all my mined data???? Do you think I am nuts????).
You can't "forget" the address you use to access Facebook. You can't access Facebook without the associated email address, whether it's real or bogus.

Victoria

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:20 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:16 pm
protagonist wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Victoria
Why? I did create a new email account but I forget the address. I would never link my valid email address with my Facebook account in any way, so why would I ever check it? (Give Google and Facebook permission to share all my mined data???? Do you think I am nuts????).
You can't "forget" the address you use to access Facebook. You can't access Facebook without the associated email address, whether it's real or bogus.

Victoria
Oh right. I forgot. I do have an email address that I use to log in to Facebook. But I never check that email address. It's just a dummy address that I created for the purpose of a login.

By the way, I probably remembered, but just in case I forgot to congratulate you at the time (noting your byline), congratulations on winning the 2015 Bogleheads contest. Better late than never.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:33 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:20 pm
Oh right. I forgot. I do have an email address that I use to log in to Facebook. But I never check that email address. It's just a dummy address that I created for the purpose of a login. By the way, I probably remembered, but just in case I forgot to congratulate you at the time (noting your byline), congratulations on winning the 2015 Bogleheads contest. Better late than never.
Winning the 2015 Bogleheads Contest is my 2nd greatest Bogleheads achievement. The highest achievement is my invention of the Bogleheads Handshake!

Thank you, protagonist, for the Facebook taming ideas,

Victoria

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:33 pm
protagonist wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:20 pm
Oh right. I forgot. I do have an email address that I use to log in to Facebook. But I never check that email address. It's just a dummy address that I created for the purpose of a login. By the way, I probably remembered, but just in case I forgot to congratulate you at the time (noting your byline), congratulations on winning the 2015 Bogleheads contest. Better late than never.
Winning the 2015 Bogleheads Contest is my 2nd greatest Bogleheads achievement. The highest achievement is my invention of the Bogleheads Handshake!

Thank you, protagonist, for the Facebook taming ideas,

Victoria
I'm impressed. My biggest Bogleheads achievement has been to go a whole year without being issued a warning or banned.

Keep the change. (smiling)
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Anyone seen the Facebook movie called "The Social Network"?

I ran across it late at night a month back (before all this drama). I didn't even know the movie existed.

It is interesting to watch whether one likes FB or not, as the movie isn't about a bunch of people clicking 'like' a lot, it shows how it developed and spread from campus to campus etc....kinda shows the business side which may be of interst to folks here.
Link to the trailer below....

edited to fix link
Last edited by F150HD on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm

F150HD wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm
Excellent movie. Got a bunch of Oscar nominations, big box office, and I even liked Justin Timberlake's acting. David Fincher (Seven) directed. I don't see how anyone could be involved with FB after watching that movie. The protagonists are the nastiest scumbags on the planet.

(Disclaimer - not saying Zucky and pals are like that in real life!)

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Nope.
I use FB to spread the financial word to my teacher colleagues about the great Boglehead discussions here and what St. Jack is doing. I know Kathy Ryan, Rick Ferri, Mel and Adrian have posted on FB too.
This forum has to diversify (remember that word) to get the word in front of people who will never come here on their own. I also use Twitter, LinkedIn, my blog, to let people know.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:13 pm

I just did. Thanks for the reminder.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:17 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm
F150HD wrote:
Excellent movie. Got a bunch of Oscar nominations, big box office, and I even liked Justin Timberlake's acting. David Fincher (Seven) directed. I don't see how anyone could be involved with FB after watching that movie. The protagonists are the nastiest scumbags on the planet.

I liked the movie, but I fact-checked it after I saw it, and a lot of it was pure fiction, such as the whole thread where he cyberbullies his gf at the beginning of the movie. That girl never existed. Like so many Hollywood takes on history, it's a good movie as long as you approach it as fiction until you check the facts (rather than the other way around).

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:53 pm

I deleted my account a couple of years ago. I just felt I was diving too deep into a universe I didn't want to be in. I joined because a few friends asked me to.

I don't know how "deleted" I really am. I know FB said it would take 30(?) days for the deletion to take effect and I could re-join easily until then. Today if I try to log in to my my account I get: "The email you’ve entered doesn’t match any account." How much they have retained, I don't know.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

destinationnc

Post by destinationnc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Don't need to delete it, I never had it. I will say I have missed out on many updates on families and friends, but I've been willing to pay that price knowing what they are capable of.

brennok

Post by brennok » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 pm

Same, never had one to delete.

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:02 am

I deleted my account earlier this week, though I hardly ever used it. I would typically check it every six months or so. Facebook just never really interested me all that much. But it feels good to break away from them for good.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)

invst65

Post by invst65 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:53 pm

We were sitting on a beach that belonged to a restaurant the other day for about an hour and my wife was talking on her cell phone the whole time. When she was done I asked who she was talking to and it turned out to be an old friend in the Philippines where she grew up. I thought gee, that must have been an expensive call but she informed me it cost nothing because she was using the hotel's free internet and Facebook.

Made me think Facebook is probably here to stay.

And I think the privacy issue is mostly a tempest in a teapot because the average Facebook user, like my wife and her friend, couldn't care less about it. Actually, I find it hard to believe that anyone with a Facebook account or any other social media account for that matter would have any expectation of privacy. At the very least we all know the NSA is listening.

donfairplay

Post by donfairplay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:17 pm
SrGrumpy wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm
F150HD wrote:

I liked the movie, but I fact-checked it after I saw it, and a lot of it was pure fiction, such as the whole thread where he cyberbullies his gf at the beginning of the movie. That girl never existed. Like so many Hollywood takes on history, it's a good movie as long as you approach it as fiction until you check the facts (rather than the other way around).
There is a lot of fiction, but the comments Zuckerberg had about a girl (not quite his girlfriend) and called her a b**** were posted on livejournal and archived. The bar scene itself was made up (the wayback machine and google can't archive a live breakup, at least not yet).

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... er/_2.html

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Facebook is garbage social media. Never joined and glad. I don't understand why so many people want so much of their family infomation on the web for everyone to see. My family and friends know what we are doing.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:25 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:19 pm
Facebook is garbage social media. Never joined and glad.
How did you determine it was garbage without ever using it?

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Listening to people that use it. That was enough. Also watching people spending all their time looking at facebook to see what everyone is doing. I believe someone can do much better with their time.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:51 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:30 pm
Listening to people that use it. That was enough. Also watching people spending all their time looking at facebook to see what everyone is doing. I believe someone can do much better with their time.
Obviously you don't believe what Barbara Streisand told us that people who need people are the luckiest people in the world.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:43 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:Facebook is garbage social media. Never joined and glad. I don't understand why so many people want so much of their family infomation on the web for everyone to see. My family and friends know what we are doing.
indexonlyplease wrote:

Most people spend a lot of time looking at their smartphones. Are smartphones garbage?

Victoria

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:43 pm
Most people spend a lot of time looking at their smartphones. Are smartphones garbage?

Victoria
No, some of us do not. And yes, IMHO the benefit versus the downside favors the garbage answer!

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:06 pm

obgraham wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
No, some of us do not. And yes, IMHO the benefit versus the downside favors the garbage answer!
Oy vey!

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Google is the mother lode of all creepy information gathering organizations. In some very real ways, they know you better than your own mother. I bet they are quietly hunkered in the corner, hoping the spotlight doesn't lean their way.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:12 pm

obgraham wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Most people spend a lot of time looking at their smartphones.
No, some of us do not.
"Most" is not the same as "all."
obgraham wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Are smartphones garbage?

Victoria
And yes, IMHO the benefit versus the downside favors the garbage answer!
"Garbage" is a fighting word. It's more productive to provide reasons for one's aversion to Facebook, smartphones, or other goods.

Victoria

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:09 pm

I rarely use it, but no not deleting.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:35 pm

The CIO of CalSTRS Christopher Ailman:
Manager of $200 billion pension fund deletes Facebook account, citing 'offensive' management
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/calstrs ... ement.html

Doesn't say whether he's going to stop investing his state's (California) pension fund money in in, though. He only had this to say:
In an interview with CNBC on Wednesday, Ailman said: "They have to deal better with their privacy issues. We've been unhappy about the governance [in Facebook] because as shareholders we have almost no say, because [CEO Mark] Zuckerberg just controls that thing."

"While Silicon Valley loves to have one person in charge, we think there are drawbacks," he said.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:42 pm

invst65 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:53 pm
We were sitting on a beach that belonged to a restaurant the other day for about an hour and my wife was talking on her cell phone the whole time.
I thought this anecdote was going in a different direction.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:59 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
indexonlyplease wrote:Facebook is garbage social media. Never joined and glad. I don't understand why so many people want so much of their family infomation on the web for everyone to see. My family and friends know what we are doing.
indexonlyplease wrote:

Victoria
When you are spending time looking at facebook YES.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:00 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:59 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
indexonlyplease wrote:

Victoria
When you are spending time looking at facebook YES. Smart phones can do a whole lot more than social media.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:01 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:00 pm
indexonlyplease wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:59 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
indexonlyplease wrote:

Victoria
When you are spending time looking at facebook YES. Smart phones can do a whole lot more than social media.
By the way poor response.

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 pm

I didn't have to delete it, Zucc deleted mine for "Thought Crimes".

"Wrong Think" is a mortal sin in Zucc Land.

Welcome back to 1984 :sharebeer
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

(gekko)

Post by (gekko) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:02 pm
I have no way in which to delete it.
PJW
I had my account disabled but now I can request a completely delete... it will take 14 days!

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:12 am

(gekko) wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:02 pm
I have no way in which to delete it.
PJW
I had my account disabled but now I can request a completely delete... it will take 14 days!

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account
Best of luck over the next two weeks.

I can't delete it because there isn't any there there. It's like suggesting I usher out the invisible pink unicorn.

PJW

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm

I have never signed up for Facebook. So there's that.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle