Anyone Deleting Facebook?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
protagonist

Re: Anyone Deleting Facebook?

Post by protagonist » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:31 pm

One thing I gleaned from 14 years on Facebook....I have yet to gain more respect for a person based on what they post, but I have often lost respect for people.

I think it is a bit like Newton's laws. You can't win. You are lucky if you break even. So if you think your posts are making people think you are really cool and smart, you are probably wrong.

I imagine the same applies to others' assessment of me, but I am old enough to not care.

northernrun

Post by northernrun » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Deleted it in 2012! No regrets here!

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:08 pm

protagonist wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:31 pm
One thing I gleaned from 14 years on Facebook....I have yet to gain more respect for a person based on what they post, but I have often lost respect for people.

I think it is a bit like Newton's laws. You can't win. You are lucky if you break even. So if you think your posts are making people think you are really cool and smart, you are probably wrong.

I imagine the same applies to others' assessment of me, but I am old enough to not care.
You spent 14 years on FB? I just lost my respect for you. :mrgreen:

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:07 pm

madbrain wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 pm
Nowadays, with the proliferation of license plate readers, the EZPass really is a drop in the bucket. I got my Fastrak in the bay area years ago and I think I used it a grandtotal of one time so far. Still have money on it ...
That's why I don't put license plates on my cars. With so many cars in CA with dealer plates, my car blends in with the crowd anyway...have never been hassled about it.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:16 pm

hightower wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:27 am
"Social Media" is not social. We need to go back to being social people and stay off of them.
I'm a millennial and I agree with this. Less and less people my age and younger with whom I interact can function in a social setting. Can't remember the last time I've had lunch or dinner with someone who hasn't taken out their phone at least once during the meal. I think it becomes a crutch as the art of conversation becomes lost and the phone becomes a way for these people to avoid awkward silence.

I work in tech and I have Facebook, but don't have the app on my phone. I prefer to be present when interacting with people face to face.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Deleted it long ago due to their political affiliations and blatant censorship.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:02 pm

I have no way in which to delete it.
PJW

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:24 pm

protagonist,

Thank you for the detailed response. My point is that the danger of Facebook is not because of the information that it has on any one of us—but because the sheer scope and depth of that information is a great danger to our society. The 2016 election is one such example of what can happen but more will come. Relying on individuals in lock down accounts, remain vigilant, and keep one step ahead of Facebook’s tech shenanigans will not work. I have more to say but it delves into the political so I will refrain.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Facebook has been collecting call history and SMS data from Android devices
Facebook hasn’t been able to collect this data on iPhones thanks to Apple’s privacy controls
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/25/1716 ... on-android

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 pm

This is incorrect . I downloaded my data , I use an iPhone and my text and call history as well as contacts were all there.

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:20 pm
Facebook hasn’t been able to collect this data on iPhones thanks to Apple’s privacy controls

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 pm
Jcraz13 wrote:
This is incorrect . I downloaded my data , I use an iPhone and my text and call history as well as contacts were all there. That is why I deleted Facebook.

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
It’s a new story. I’m sure more details will come out. Whatever the details, I don’t think that they will be good news.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:35 pm

I deleted mine a month ago, before the whole debacle.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:00 pm

anoop wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:08 pm
protagonist wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:31 pm

You spent 14 years on FB? I just lost my respect for you. :mrgreen:
I opened my account 14 years ago. I didn't actually spend the whole 14 years on it. I did other things too.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:01 pm

protagonist wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:27 am
Just be sensible and protect yourself with simple measures, which, for some bizarre reason, the vast majority of social media users do not bother to do.

1. Use a pseudonym. You all do here, and bogleheads is a much more benign site, so why in the world would you use your real name on Facebook?
2. Use a fake address, fake phone number and fake email address. Don't worry. You will be able to find any real "friend" you want to find. They know who you are.
3. NEVER use apps, take quizzes or play games. They are only there to mine your data, and they are all stupid anyway. Why would you poke somebody or take a test to see how British you really are? It's not going to REALLY tell you how British you are anyway.
4. DEFINITELY download FBP (stands for Facebook Purity). You can then tailor your page to eliminate all the garbage.

Four common sense, simple steps that, for reasons I don't understand, very few people take.
Good rules, Protagonist!

I'd like to add a rule:
5. Don't sign to other services via Facebook. When you want to create an account on a new site, some sites give you two options: to create site-specific ID/password or to sign in via Facebook. If you create an account via Facebook login, that new service will gain access to your Facebook information.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:02 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:24 pm
protagonist,

Thank you for the detailed response. My point is that the danger of Facebook is not because of the information that it has on any one of us—but because the sheer scope and depth of that information is a great danger to our society. The 2016 election is one such example of what can happen but more will come. Relying on individuals in lock down accounts, remain vigilant, and keep one step ahead of Facebook’s tech shenanigans will not work. I have more to say but it delves into the political so I will refrain.

I agree with you. My prediction is that by 2050 at least half of our elected officials will have made their careers as TV (or online) celebrities. For that we can largely thank social media.

Google is probably more dangerous. They know every website you ever visited and every gmail message you ever sent. Yeah, sure, I use incognito and all the blockers, but (unlike Facebook) I still am regularly surprised when I find out a little of what they know about me. And how about the cell phone companies....remember the scandal with Verizon sharing information with the NSA? They have every conversation you ever had!

Do you own an Alexa (or whatever it is called)? Think about that one as well.

You can run but you can't hide. It IS a Brave New World. That said, technology is fun. I hate Amazon but I hate shopping even more...bottom line is I am a flawed human being but I live with myself. I doubt that my pseudonym-driven Facebook account is contributing much to global destruction, but I am getting what I want out of it, I protect myself as best as I can, and I am not an addict. If anything I try to fight against the dumbing down of America- maybe that counterbalances my contribution to the forces of evil, which I hope is minimal. I hope so. I also acknowledge that I could be wrong.
Last edited by protagonist on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 11 times in total.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:05 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:01 pm
protagonist wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:27 am
Just be sensible and protect yourself with simple measures, which, for some bizarre reason, the vast majority of social media users do not bother to do.

1. Use a pseudonym. You all do here, and bogleheads is a much more benign site, so why in the world would you use your real name on Facebook?
2. Use a fake address, fake phone number and fake email address. Don't worry. You will be able to find any real "friend" you want to find. They know who you are.
3. NEVER use apps, take quizzes or play games. They are only there to mine your data, and they are all stupid anyway. Why would you poke somebody or take a test to see how British you really are? It's not going to REALLY tell you how British you are anyway.
4. DEFINITELY download FBP (stands for Facebook Purity). You can then tailor your page to eliminate all the garbage.

Four common sense, simple steps that, for reasons I don't understand, very few people take.
Good rules, Protagonist!

I'd like to add a rule:
5. Don't sign to other services via Facebook. When you want to create an account on a new site, some sites give you two options: to create site-specific ID/password or to sign in via Facebook. If you create an account via Facebook login, that new service will gain access to your Facebook information.

Victoria
Absolutely! I forgot that one. Never link your account to anything and also, don't use the Facebook app on your phone. I won't even log on to Facebook on my phone, because of the connection with my phone number.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm

protagonist wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:02 pm

I’m amazed at how many people will nilly bring these devices into their homes. In old movies, spies would go to great trouble to hide mics in homes. Now people install them on their own dime. I personally know people who got Alexas and they basically use them to ask for weather updates or to have Alexa tell them jokes. :confused

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:48 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm
protagonist wrote:

I’m amazed at how many people will nilly bring these devices into their homes. In old movies, spies would go to great trouble to hide mics in homes. Now people install them on their own dime. I personally know people who got Alexas and they basically use them to ask for weather updates or to have Alexa tell them jokes. :confused
And Alexa's jokes are not even good. The joke is on an Alexa's user.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 pm

I reactivate every few years to check in on people and then vanish again.

I’m definitely going to download my data, as I’m curious to see what’s been collected.

Erik Hagerman doesn’t need to worry about this stuff.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:20 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:48 pm
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
protagonist wrote:

And Alexa's jokes are not even good. The joke is on an Alexa's user.

Victoria
She (it? ) told one pretty good one. I forgot the punch line though.
I was really into her (it?) for about two weeks. Now it sits unplugged.

bberris

Post by bberris » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:42 am

You can also just get rid of the companies tracking you on FB.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 pm

FTC investigation but probably won’t amount to much . I hope this doesn’t go away soon in media . And people need to demand some accountability.

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
protagonist,

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:31 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 pm
FTC investigation :

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/03/26/ftc ... ation.html

But probably won’t amount to much . I hope this doesn’t go away soon in media . And people need to demand some accountability.

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
protagonist,

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 am

Jcraz13 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 pm
FTC investigation but probably won’t amount to much . I hope this doesn’t go away soon in media . And people need to demand some accountability.

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
protagonist,

More has already come, this is not new. Make sure you go back further than 2016. In 2012 FB voluntarily opened up to extensive data mining for the then incumbent's campaign.
I expect you can find other examples of this going much further back for all sorts of reasons, some financial and some not.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:28 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:31 pm
Jcraz13 wrote:
Jcraz13 wrote:
This is incorrect . I downloaded my data , I use an iPhone and my text and call history as well as contacts were all there. That is why I deleted Facebook.

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
It’s a new story. I’m sure more details will come out. Whatever the details, I don’t think that they will be good news.
There's nothing new about that its been going on for years w/ Android. There's no way to disable this on Android to my knowledge. IPhones I believe had a setting one had to change to disable the SMS and Contact list access. Unsure where that stands now with IOS.

also, I posted about the same topic here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=244980&start=50#p3843100

Whenever this is brought up there's always someone who 'argues' against it like its not actually happening! lol

Messenger is just as invasive.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:23 am

F150HD wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:28 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:31 pm
Jcraz13 wrote:
Jcraz13 wrote:

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:

There's nothing new about that its been going on for years w/ Android. There's no way to disable this on Android to my knowledge. IPhones I believe had a setting one had to change to disable the SMS and Contact list access. Unsure where that stands now with IOS.

also, I posted about the same topic here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=244980&start=50#p3843100

Whenever this is brought up there's always someone who 'argues' against it like its not actually happening! lol

@F150HD: You’re right, it’s not a new story. Thanks for pointing that out.

@Jcraz13: I read more on this. It appears that android settings at one time were were not granular enough to stop this and Facebook decided to automatically opt users in to access texts and call history (this may have changed now). Whereas in iOS, the user had the option to turn it off. So it appears that you chose to give FB access to this information whether your realized it or not.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:21 am

I once signed up for Facebook, but then hated to get those daily messages about people being my friends, though I had signed up with a different name. It looked like a real fake. I could not figure out how to get out of it, so I created another Email address and let F send there all those stupid messages.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:02 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
protagonist wrote:

This was a joke in the show "Person of Interest" - one of the main characters talks about how they wanted to monitor everyone, so he invented social networking since that way people would give it to the government voluntarily.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:03 am

div/0

I can't delete what I never had. I've never understood the willingness to share so much private information with a public company. The recent events have only further vindicated my position with formerly incredulous peers, friends and family. I've been defending this position incessantly since Myspace was still a thing.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:10 am

F150HD wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:28 am

I don't know if it's due to FB or the Messenger app specifically because I've always had both, but this was obviously happening with my Android phones whenever a person I had literally only texted showed up as a suggested friend on FB without any mutual friends or other connection. I thought it was common knowledge. My response: eh, whatever (then and now). "Stop showing me this suggestion."

As someone who uses FB all the time and doesn't take any extraordinary steps to hide my identity, if the ads that I see in my timeline are the effect of having all my information in the wild, consider me unimpressed. Counter that with the overall benefits and ease of staying in touch with friends and family, and I am a happy FB consumer.

grayfox

Post by grayfox » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 am

Here's something hilarious: Mark Zuckerberg Called People Who Handed Over Their Data "Dumb F****"

This was reported way back in 2010 by BusinessInsider.com: Well, These New Zuckerberg IMs Won't Help Facebook's Privacy Problems

That's about the time I signed with Facebook... and handed over all my data. So back then, I must have been a... :oops:

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:43 am

Yup, from computer and deactivated on phone. Never really used it but lately advertising and people kept popping up that made no sense unless they knew far more about me than they should. Someone popped up today that they should have never connected to as a do you know unless they read my phone contacts. Done, deleted FB.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:16 am

This from Mark Zuckerberg. I agree wholeheartedly: https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/ ... ta-dumb-f/

Meanwhile, my doppelganger uses it for silly stuff like this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/animalcognition/

Maybe Cambridge Analytica or Vladimir Putin considers that useful. For now it's a risk to society I (and my doppelganger) are willing to take.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 am

Deleted FB account, found it to be a waste of time.

Dave

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 am

Even as millennials, we deleted Facebook before it was cool to delete Facebook. Nothing to do with data privacy, it was just a horrible waste of time. I was also on Facebook before it was cool to be on Facebook.

I guess I'm an early adopter!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 am

Cal Newport, the author of "Deep Work" and "So Good They Can't Ignore You," wrote a Facebook related blog post,
"Beyond #DeleteFacebook: More Thoughts on Embracing the Social Internet Over Social Media" http://calnewport.com/blog/2018/03/25/b ... ial-media/

In the article, Newport recommends two approaches to social media:
Approach #1: The Slow Social Media Philosophy
Approach #2: Own Your Own Domain

Approach #1 is using social media for your explicit purposes and nothing else. Don't click "like," don't follow links unrelated to your primary purpose of visiting, don't install applications.

Approach #2 is related to the ownership of your intellectual property. Facebook owns the fruits of your thinking labor, and it can use it, change it, or remove it at will. You want the fruits of your thinking to be exhibited on your own web site under your own control and to your credit.

Victoria

Case59

Post by Case59 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:25 am

I like Facebook. I have a lot of family and friends around the country that I'm close to, but not geographically, and it's a great way to keep up. My 94-year-old mother is on it. I stay away from political posts and groups, and try to avoid click-bait.

Plus:
(a) Apple and Amazon know everything there is to know about me, so what's one more?
(b) There have been so many data breaches of major organizations that have my data in the last few years (Target, Equifax, IRS, etc, etc), I figure there's not a lot of my information that's not circulating out there anyway.

:sharebeer
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:04 pm

A dear friend was a heavy Facebook user and passed away. I re-activated my account solely to be the "custodian" of their FB account. I forgot how much, well, garbage is on it. If I blocked everyone who posted political rants, there would be almost nothing left.

I'm very much tempted to back up their data (photos and such) and just delete it, so I can delete my account.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:13 pm

As a less draconian measure, you might just consider never clicking the "like" button.
My guess is that is where Cambridge Analytica et. al. gets most of their useful data, because that info seems so simple to mine on a large scale and to find patterns.
And really, how much do your friends really get from your "like" clicks?

6miths

Post by 6miths » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:28 pm

Still have it. still use it. Mainly for communications with students in 'Private' groups and family using messenger.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:01 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:13 pm
As a less draconian measure, you might just consider never clicking the "like" button.
My guess is that is where Cambridge Analytica et. al. gets most of their useful data, because that info seems so simple to mine on a large scale and to find patterns.
They track way more than that. Probably everything from clicks, to how much time you spend on an item before scrolling/going to another page, etc. And of course, much more than that, I bet. Basically, if they can figure out a way to get into your mind, they will. And since it’s a closed system, you won’t learn what they’re tracking until the next whistle blower. Then another “serious face apology” from the Zuck, rinse, repeat.

Btw, there are a few Tesla fans here. If you respect his opinion, you may want to seek what Elon Musk has to say about Facebook and Zuckerberg. If you watch interviews with him closely and read between the lines just a little, he’s basically claiming that Facebook is one of the greatest threats humanity faces. Reason being, if a single, dominant AI, controlled by a individual or small group of individuals reaches a level say, 1000x whatever else out there, we are cooked! They will capture and shape civilization and humanity to their will.

Another really good source of intelligent opinions on all things internet is Jaron Lanier. A true genius in my book. He was the first person I heard say many years ago, “if it’s free, you’re the product.” His solution, in part, is that our information is way more valuable than computer technology and companies like Facebook would be willing to pay us for it. So we’re giving away free what companies would be willing to pay us for. Good work if you can get it.

Edit: fixed grammar
Last edited by AntsOnTheMarch on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 am

Never used Facebook. Bad Behaviour on there has been a real turn off ( people who prefer FB over person to person interaction).

I've never trusted FB.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:44 am

I have deleted the Facebook and Facebook messenger apps from my smartphone, not my account.

Just downloaded my Facebook data. Hundreds of MB, with just highly compressed video and audio.

My list of contacts is 200 pages. Just wow. Even the ones I deleted from my phone years ago. That's the most intrusive thing, I think.

A lot of stuff is also missing from this data - all the posts made on Facebook to friends pages, and in private or public groups.
"Ads clicked" includes only the last month, apparently.

The advertiser list was laughable. 10 advertisers had my contact info, 7 of which I had never heard of.

"ad topics" is pretty much any page I ever liked on Facebook. I guess one could easily corrupt the data and render it useless to FB by starting to "like" things they actually don't , removing likes, and so on.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:48 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 am
Cal Newport, the author of "Deep Work" and "So Good They Can't Ignore You," wrote a Facebook related blog post,
"Beyond #DeleteFacebook: More Thoughts on Embracing the Social Internet Over Social Media" http://calnewport.com/blog/2018/03/25/b ... ial-media/

In the article, Newport recommends two approaches to social media:
Approach #1: The Slow Social Media Philosophy
Approach #2: Own Your Own Domain

Approach #1 is using social media for your explicit purposes and nothing else. Don't click "like," don't follow links unrelated to your primary purpose of visiting, don't install applications.

Approach #2 is related to the ownership of your intellectual property. Facebook owns the fruits of your thinking labor, and it can use it, change it, or remove it at will. You want the fruits of your thinking to be exhibited on your own web site under your own control and to your credit.

Victoria
Problem with approach #2 is how to get eyeballs. There are so many websites. FB pages make it easy to have an audience, if that's what you desire.
I have very occasionally blogged, and get some views from search engines, but it has been extremely minimal, compared to facebook traffic on my private page, even with a relatively small number of "friends".

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 am

Whakamole wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:04 pm
A dear friend was a heavy Facebook user and passed away. I re-activated my account solely to be the "custodian" of their FB account. I forgot how much, well, garbage is on it. If I blocked everyone who posted political rants, there would be almost nothing left.

I'm very much tempted to back up their data (photos and such) and just delete it, so I can delete my account.
am guessing the election drove many folks off FB, got tired of the rants and silly photos of candidate X holding a chicken with a quote underneath it. Lord forbid this is what we're in for in 3 more years regardless who runs.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:36 am

how quickly Equifax is forgotten and replaced by the next best 'issue' (in the news).

When will Google be stepping onto the chopping block?

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:01 am
protagonist wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:13 pm
They track way more than that. Probably everything from clicks, to how much time you spend on an item before scrolling/going to another page, etc. And of course, much more than that, I bet. Basically, if they can figure out a way to get into your mind, they will. And since it’s a closed system, you won’t learn what they’re tracking until the next whistle blower. Then another “serious face apology” from the Zuck, rinse, repeat.

Btw, there are a few Tesla fans here. If you respect his opinion, you may want to seek what Elon Musk has to say about Facebook and Zuckerberg. If you watch interviews with him closely and read between the lines just a little, he’s basically claiming that Facebook is one of the greatest threats humanity faces. Reason being, if a single, dominant AI, controlled by a individual or small group of individuals reaches a level say, 1000x whatever else out there, we are cooked! They will capture and shape civilization and humanity to their will.

Another really good source of intelligent opinions on all things internet is Jaron Lanier. A true genius in my book. He was the first person I heard say many years ago, “if it’s free, you’re the product.” His solution, in part, is that our information is way more valuable than computer technology and companies like Facebook would be willing to pay us for it. So we’re giving away free what companies would be willing to pay us for. Good work if you can get it.

Edit: fixed grammar
Interesting thoughts, and a lot of truth in that.
I figure clicks such as "like" are low hanging fruit. There is so much low hanging fruit out there that it probably constitutes the bulk of their data source, but I'm just guessing.
Stlill, combining that with the other identity protections I previously described (sure they can find you anyway but if you tell them who you are , you are low hanging fruit).......I can only hope that sufficiently obfuscates things.

I don't doubt that when I watch videos of baby elephants playing with ducks and people playing Charlie Parker riffs on a theramin they can pretty much determine my political and religious beliefs, my sexual preferences and my economic status with a degree of accuracy. I just doubt that they will go the extra mile to find me with so much low hanging fruit out there. So far I have seen no evidence of the REAL me being targeted in any way based on my Facebook actions.

Ultimately we must come to grips with the fact that this is the 21st century, and as Thomas Pynchon said in Gravity's Rainbow (Proverbs for Paranoids)...."you hide, they seek". If you go completely off-grid you probably stand out even more.

People post very personal information about themselves on Bogleheads, including intimate financial details and often more. Stuff they would probably never put on Facebook. Does nobody worry about that?

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:51 am

Case59 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:25 am
I like Facebook. I have a lot of family and friends around the country that I'm close to, but not geographically, and it's a great way to keep up. My 94-year-old mother is on it. I stay away from political posts and groups, and try to avoid click-bait.

Plus:
(a) Apple and Amazon know everything there is to know about me, so what's one more?
(b) There have been so many data breaches of major organizations that have my data in the last few years (Target, Equifax, IRS, etc, etc), I figure there's not a lot of my information that's not circulating out there anyway.
I agree with this quite counter to the sentiment in the thread point. I post fairly small amounts of stuff and use facebook in moderation, not obsessively. I like seeing what my somewhat more distant relatives are doing. I accept that I have very little privacy and that they (with google) are an evil empire. I accept that using a free product (facebook, google search, gmail, hotmail, whatever) that I'm the product. I've learned to adjust facebook so I see fewer political rants and almost no shared political news articles. I have to avoid facebook near elections to avoid having to suppress/remove people (I don't post political material on facebook, and wish my friends would do the same), and I anticipate this will be worse in coming elections.

windaar

Post by windaar » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:33 am

Having those friend and family contacts is very useful to me, as well as some family history private groups. But a while ago I deleted all of my old posts and personal info, and I have stopped all posts and “likes,” also went deep into preferences, turned off the app “platform” and turned all app and ad sharing preferences off. So my Facebook is not deleted but is dormant which to me is a good privacy compromise.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:55 am

I deleted Facebook recently. Not because of privacy concerns but because I have found I like my friends less after “friending” them on Facebook. My life was easier before I knew everyone’s political stances, what they had for dinner, and what tragedy was currently affecting their second cousin.

My husband and I feel strongly that our middle school aged kids should not have social media, so we decided that we should probably not be hypocrites about it.