FB

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
randomizer

Re: Anyone Deleting Facebook?

Post by randomizer »

I could live without it, but I use it to communicate with family. Don't need it as a news source though.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

I love FB. Have been on there 10 years. Has enabled me to keep in touch with old friends and have used it to earn a lot of money at work. On the other hand I am taking a break as all the fake news and political talk has created sort of a downer at times. Hoping to get back on soon and focus on the good stuff that I do miss during my hiatus.
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

I got an account mainly because more than a few companies, organizations, clubs, government departments, etc., use it as their official channel of communication with the public, often in lieu of a website.

I use it to find out what's going on in our neighborhood and surrounding community.

Our HOA uses it to community with the community, and the HOA board uses it to communicate with one another.

I communicate with a couple of friends once in a while.

I don't really post anything about myself or family.

I should have went into advertising.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

F150HD wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:01 pm many don't realize the phone app (on Android at least) can read all your texts and access your entire contact list.

Slippery slope to complete loss of privacy.
I hear this a lot, but I don't know if I should care if an app can read my texts or access my contact list. So what? I'm not important or interesting, and sorry to my contacts, but neither are they. It's not like I'm texting my SSN to all my friends or paying with a credit card via text. (Congrats though, you just learned what I'm planning to have for dinner!)

How does the ability of an app to read my texts and access my contact list constitute a slippery slope to a complete loss of privacy? Will the makers of the app one day be able to enter my house, sit on the couch and watch me live my boring life because they figured out where I live and who I know? Will it be because they're really huge fans of Thai food?

Personally, I think privacy concerns about the "fluff stuff" in our lives by random nobodies like me are overblown. In our particularly narcissistic society, nobody else cares about you unless they're trying to sell you something or steal your identity. Just don't put sensitive information on your phone; you'll be fine.
telemark

Post by telemark »

oldfatguy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:17 pm
telemark wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:10 pm Forums like Bogleheads are more like the old bulletin boards or Usenet groups, which existed long before social media was invented.
What is your definition of social media, and how does it compare with dictionary definitions?
I've already given you an objective, easily testable structural difference between forums like bogleheads.org and platforms like Facebook and its imitators (Google+, LinkedIn, etc). Whether that constitutes a definition is something you will have to decide for yourself.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

pejp wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm I'm 35 so literally everyone I know is on facebook. I was on it for a few years, but deleted my account completely 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I genuinely think we have an impending mental health crisis due to social media and cell phone addiction.
+1

It’s fascinating from a psychological perspective how people apparently do things just to list them on social media.
My college kid told me that ‘Facebook is for old people.’
I’ll pass.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

No way! It's how I keep in contact with worldwide friends and family. I've blocked anything that would violate a forum rule here, and life is good.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 pm
pejp wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm I'm 35 so literally everyone I know is on facebook. I was on it for a few years, but deleted my account completely 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I genuinely think we have an impending mental health crisis due to social media and cell phone addiction.
+1

It’s fascinating from a psychological perspective how people apparently do things just to list them on social media.
My college kid told me that ‘Facebook is for old people.’
I’ll pass.
Reminds me of a few episodes from the series, "Black Mirror." They take the psychology stuff around social media to the extreme.

What fascinates me is how many of the young people I talk to (and who I think are obsessed with social media) love the show. Um, hello?
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

greg24 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm Image
LOL!
SavageAmusement

Post by SavageAmusement »

I don’t have a Facebook account. I presume people could care less about what I’m up to, and I know I don’t care what they’re up to. Also, Facebook is an ethically challenged company.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

I deleted ~8 years ago. It took some doing but I managed to find instructions on how to actually delete account and data (or so it seems). I’m not a Luddite and I like technology when it works for me. I use social media sparingly and understand that I am the product, so I use it judiciously. But FB always seemed ultra-smarmy right from the get-go. Nothing has changed and in fact, getting worse by the day. Will be interesting to see if this latest revolt has legs.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Loik098 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm
F150HD wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:01 pm many don't realize the phone app (on Android at least) can read all your texts and access your entire contact list.

Slippery slope to complete loss of privacy.
I hear this a lot, but I don't know if I should care if an app can read my texts or access my contact list. So what? I'm not important or interesting, and sorry to my contacts, but neither are they. It's not like I'm texting my SSN to all my friends or paying with a credit card via text. (Congrats though, you just learned what I'm planning to have for dinner!)

How does the ability of an app to read my texts and access my contact list constitute a slippery slope to a complete loss of privacy? Will the makers of the app one day be able to enter my house, sit on the couch and watch me live my boring life because they figured out where I live and who I know? Will it be because they're really huge fans of Thai food?

Personally, I think privacy concerns about the "fluff stuff" in our lives by random nobodies like me are overblown. In our particularly narcissistic society, nobody else cares about you unless they're trying to sell you something or steal your identity. Just don't put sensitive information on your phone; you'll be fine.
Spot on.

Also, if they couldn't identify what you like, they'd show you irrelevant ads. And the only thing worse than targeted ads is non- targeted ads.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm
grayfox wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm I also deleted all my pictures and posts about 2 years ago. I tried to delete the account, but couldn't figure out how. I don't think there is a link on the site to the delete button. So I changed my Facebook user name to a fake name.

Here's the funny thing: Somehow, my iPhone also changed my name to the fake Facebook name. I do not have the Facebook app on my iPhone.

So now my iPhone thinks I am the fake name I changed it to on Facebook. Facebook must gave its tentacles into everything. I hope it doesn't change my bank account to the fake name.
Apples got its tentacles in everything too. In this case - it isn't that Facebook did something - its that Apple did something. You need to delete your Apple account if this bothers you.
Huh?
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

Don't have a smart phone, my flip phone and $100.00 per year plan works fine.

Don't use Twitter
Don't use Instagram.
Don't know what Pandora does.
Don't know what Ah Ha is.
Same for Spotify.
Hulu is a dance.
Don't know a haptic screen from a spastic screen.
Have never sent a text in my life.
What does LinkedIn do?
Don't have a Facebook page, and have never visited one.

We talk to people on the phone or face to face. OK, we occasionally use e-mail :sharebeer

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

AntsOnTheMarch wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm
grayfox wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm I also deleted all my pictures and posts about 2 years ago. I tried to delete the account, but couldn't figure out how. I don't think there is a link on the site to the delete button. So I changed my Facebook user name to a fake name.

Here's the funny thing: Somehow, my iPhone also changed my name to the fake Facebook name. I do not have the Facebook app on my iPhone.

So now my iPhone thinks I am the fake name I changed it to on Facebook. Facebook must gave its tentacles into everything. I hope it doesn't change my bank account to the fake name.
Apples got its tentacles in everything too. In this case - it isn't that Facebook did something - its that Apple did something. You need to delete your Apple account if this bothers you.
Huh?
What's the question? Facebook didn't change this users iPhone name - Apple did on info it is collecting (Google "change my iPhone name" on how to change it back. Google "why did my iPhone name change" for stories from others)
People on this thread are acting as if Facebook is the only company collecting and compiling data on you - this is not the case - Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Yahoo, Google, ... are all doing it.
pondering

Post by pondering »

It is hard for these companies not to collect this information unless you want a significantly lower level of service. The average person does not want to pay for online services in cash. There really aren't any large scale alternatives. The one that appears to do the least collecting out of the big 5 (Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google and Microsoft), Apple, has a major revenue source outside of selling ads. Almost all of Google and Facebook's revenue come from ad selling.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Facebook has become an important component in advertising for real estate. I posted a couple of listings yesterday and received 2 buyer referrals from the posts. It's also a good way of keeping in contact with previous customers. Liking their posts and maintaining a link is a necessity for referrals which is the life blood of this business.
When I'm farming I can reach a large group of targeted buyers for much cheaper than direct mail.
I love Facebook. :D
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I’m 51 and have never had a Facebook account. If I’ve missed out, I guess I’ll never know.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

telemark wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 pm
telemark wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:10 pm Forums like Bogleheads are more like the old bulletin boards or Usenet groups, which existed long before social media was invented.
What is your definition of social media, and how does it compare with dictionary definitions?
I've already given you an objective, easily testable structural difference between forums like bogleheads.org and platforms like Facebook and its imitators (Google+, LinkedIn, etc). Whether that constitutes a definition is something you will have to decide for yourself.
I am well aware of the differences among the many types of social media. Anyone who participates in a forum like this one, and thinks he is not using social media, is redefining the meaning of the term.
caffeinefree

Post by caffeinefree »

triceratop wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 pm Allow me to provide a millenial perspective, albeit one from a grouchy old soul of one: almost everyone I communicate with regularly is on Facebook, and Facebook Messenger has incredible network effects for organizing things in my larger group of friends and my hobby community. To my mind, the only good things about Facebook at the present time is Messenger and Facebook Events which are excellent tools to solve the coordination and communication problems in their respective areas. I use an adblocker so they make little money off of me. I have been aware of the issues with FB's data collection for many years and structured what I share with that in mind.
+1

Also a millennial, and the way I see it, there are 5 million other ways that companies are using to collect information on me and my habits (Google, Amazon, my phone, etc.). If I wanted to be paranoid about data collection, I'd have to give up the way that I interact with the internet entirely.

Facebook provides a way for me to know what local area events are coming up and which of my friends are attending; it lets me keep in touch with my mother, who lives on the other side of the world, seeing her photos and vice-versa; it lets me get involved in local and international communities for politics, travel, etc. Yes, there are other options for some of these things, but it is convenient to have everything aggregated into one place. I don't put anything on Facebook that I care about other people knowing - my birthday, family members, and travel photos aren't secrets to be hidden from the world.
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

triceratop wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 pm Allow me to provide a millenial perspective, albeit one from a grouchy old soul of one: almost everyone I communicate with regularly is on Facebook, and Facebook Messenger has incredible network effects for organizing things in my larger group of friends and my hobby community. To my mind, the only good things about Facebook at the present time is Messenger and Facebook Events which are excellent tools to solve the coordination and communication problems in their respective areas. I use an adblocker so they make little money off of me. I have been aware of the issues with FB's data collection for many years and structured what I share with that in mind.

Instagram (also owned by FB, of course) comes much closer to what Facebook represented to me in the early days. I share nothing on Facebook, and I share things on Instagram. I am much more selective about who I allow into my network on Instagram.

If I delete facebook then I lose messenger.com. On the other hand, I have realized that I need follow no one on Facebook, so currently the center column of my feed is completely empty and I only hear what is going on in people's live the more traditional ways. There are also browser plugins which accomplish this. Correspondingly, on my mobile device I do not have the Facebook app installed but do have the (excellent) Messenger app (if only iOS had a Messenger Lite app).

So no, I won't be deleting facebook, but I don't use "Facebook" in a traditional way at all.
I'm assuming we are about the same age, and I do the exact same thing. I have a hobby group, and it is so simple to coordinate through FB. I do not use messenger, but the group feature alone is enough to keep me on. I haven't posted anything on FB in the past 5 years.

However, Instagram I do use regularly. And, like you, the circle that I allow in is very tight knit.

This is the trend I've seen with my close friends as well.

Edit to add:

The poster above me is 1000X correct. I am sure data is being collected off me in so many ways, that facebook is the least of my problems.
Last edited by buccimane on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

F150HD wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 pm
CULater wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:09 pm Never used it because it occurred to me that there would be a lot of my personal information out there that might get misused.
What kinds of personal information are you concerned about? There is nothing in my facebook account that isn't easily found with quick internet search.

The shocking details you reveal about yourself when you ‘like’ things on Facebook
Published: Mar 21, 2018 4:25 p.m. ET

Didn't see anything "shocking" in that article, nor anything I would be concerned about.
ccf

Post by ccf »

oldfatguy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 pm There is nothing in my facebook account that isn't easily found with quick internet search.

"Downloaded my facebook data as a ZIP file. Somehow it has my entire call history with my partner's mum, metadata about every text message I've ever received or sent. Spoiler: I don't use messenger for SMS
and the metadata of every cellular call I've ever made, including time and duration"

https://twitter.com/dylanmckaynz/status ... 5324678145

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

ccf wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:57 am
oldfatguy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 pm There is nothing in my facebook account that isn't easily found with quick internet search.

"Downloaded my facebook data as a ZIP file. Somehow it has my entire call history with my partner's mum, metadata about every text message I've ever received or sent. Spoiler: I don't use messenger for SMS
and the metadata of every cellular call I've ever made, including time and duration"

https://twitter.com/dylanmckaynz/status ... 5324678145
That's not in my facebook data. Is it in yours?
ccf

Post by ccf »

I'm not sure what was in my data. I deleted my account.

(before all of this, because I'm a hermit at heart and it was all too much)
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

I limit my time on FB and find its a good way to keep entertained while waiting in line or for a red light. I have enjoyed reconnecting with friends from HS, College and from my time in the Navy, I have reconnected with a number of friends I thought I would see again.
I don't care much for the political rants or what so and so had for dinner last night but overall I find it useful but spend very little time on it.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I'm with 7UP: never had it, never will
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

SavageAmusement wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:20 pm I don’t have a Facebook account. I presume people could care less about what I’m up to, and I know I don’t care what they’re up to. Also, Facebook is an ethically challenged company.
I want to give a big thumb's up to SavageAmusement's comment. One reason I am not on Facebook is that I have a hard time believing anyone gives a rip about what I am doing or what I think. Also, I don't trust myself to not say something stupid online for everyone to see, including those I work with. I am a millennial who so happens to be extremely conservative, so I doubt I would get any "likes" or additional "friends" on Facebook.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

jaguar3003 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:40 pm Keeping it. It's very easy to keep your information secure. Don't fill out those personality tests that pop up everytime. Don't install apps. Don't allow apps access to your page. People willingly gave their information up.
It's not so easy...you also have to not be friends with others who do those things. I rarely post on FB, I don't have the app on the phone, and I limit what the amount of personal/background info (no alma mater, etc). I only keep the account for a few groups that I'm very interested in. BUT I have a friend who clicks on every single personality test, "what's your life verse", "who's your FB twin," etc. etc. etc. It drives me nuts knowing that every time she does, a little piece of my data goes to some scammer.

And no, I can't unfriend her because she is someone I love and I see her regularly IRL. I know her well enough to know that no matter what explanation I give, it would hurt her deeply and end the friendship forever. I lost a relationship about 15 years ago, before FB, because I had a friend who used to forward all those emails which inevitably were spam/fake/hoaxes or just a waste of time "if you love me, you'll send this sappy email back to me and 10 other friends!". I sent her a polite email in which I told her how much I loved hearing from her and would be happy to get any personal email she wished to send me, but please don't forward anything to me ever. I literally never heard from her again in any context. Which I guess was OK, looking back on that relationship, haha. But with the current friend, I'm not willing to risk hurting our relationship just because she lacks some critical thinking skills.
telemark

Post by telemark »

oldfatguy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:36 am
telemark wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 pm
I am well aware of the differences among the many types of social media. Anyone who participates in a forum like this one, and thinks he is not using social media, is redefining the meaning of the term.
Does your definition have any limits? Does it include post cards? People have been communicating in various media for centuries, and most of that can be considered social in some way or other. I call my mother on the phone once a week to chat. It's a VOIP phone so there are definitely computers involved.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

telemark wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am
Does your definition have any limits? Does it include post cards? People have been communicating in various media for centuries, and most of that can be considered social in some way or other. I call my mother on the phone once a week to chat. It's a VOIP phone so there are definitely computers involved.
It's not my definition ...

Merriam-Webster: forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content

Oxford English Dictionary: websites and applications which enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking

Dictionary.com: websites and other online means of communication that are used by large groups of people to share information and to develop social and professional contacts

Cambridge Dictionary: websites and computer programs that allow people to communicate and share information on the internet using a computer or mobile phone

American Heritage Dictionary: The websites, applications, and other forms of electronic communication considered as collectively constituting a medium by which people share messages, photographs, and other information, especially in online communities or forums based on shared interests or backgrounds
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Loik098 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm I hear this a lot, but I don't know if I should care if an app can read my texts or access my contact list. So what?....

Personally, I think privacy concerns about the "fluff stuff" in our lives by random nobodies like me are overblown.
oldfatguy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:50 am Didn't see anything "shocking" in that article, nor anything I would be concerned about.
Do you run a firewall on your network or laptop? if so, why?

Based upon your statements, you should turn your firewall off. After all, who really cares if someone is tracking or collecting data about you for any reason. Right?

Did you freeze your credit after the Equifax breach as many did here? if so, why? who cares if someone accessed 'your data'? right?
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

F150HD wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:10 am
Loik098 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm I hear this a lot, but I don't know if I should care if an app can read my texts or access my contact list. So what?....

Personally, I think privacy concerns about the "fluff stuff" in our lives by random nobodies like me are overblown.
oldfatguy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:50 am Didn't see anything "shocking" in that article, nor anything I would be concerned about.

Based upon your statements, you should turn your firewall off. After all, who really cares if someone is tracking or collecting data about you for any reason. Right?

Did you freeze your credit after the Equifax breach as many did here? if so, why? who cares if someone accessed 'your data'? right?
No and no.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

Of course I run a firewall, so that viruses and malware don't shut down my equipment. This has little to nothing to do with privacy of my contacts and texts, which is what your original comment was addressing.

No, I thought I made it clear that I don't care what mundane info is being collected or tracked about me. Still haven't heard a good reason for why I should.

If you read my post, I'm not advocating for someone to lose complete control of sensitive data.
telemark

Post by telemark »

oldfatguy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:53 am
telemark wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am
It's not my definition ...

Merriam-Webster: forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content

Oxford English Dictionary: websites and applications which enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking

Dictionary.com: websites and other online means of communication that are used by large groups of people to share information and to develop social and professional contacts

Cambridge Dictionary: websites and computer programs that allow people to communicate and share information on the internet using a computer or mobile phone

American Heritage Dictionary: The websites, applications, and other forms of electronic communication considered as collectively constituting a medium by which people share messages, photographs, and other information, especially in online communities or forums based on shared interests or backgrounds
Still not clear if it has any useful limits, since the comment section on any web site would seem to qualify, and I could probably squeeze in conference calls and voice mail if I were feeling expansive. On the other hand, Oxford at least seems to exclude Usenet and bulletin boards (which existed before the web) and email lists, which existed before Usenet.

If we want to distinguish between platforms where everyone has a personal list of friends, or followers, or contacts, and you can construct directed graphs from this information and platforms where this is not the case, what term should we use? Since "social media" seems to be taken.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

telemark wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:29 am
If we want to distinguish between platforms where everyone has a personal list of friends, or followers, or contacts, and you can construct directed graphs from this information and platforms where this is not the case, what term should we use? Since "social media" seems to be taken.
Perhaps "social networking" is a better description.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I won't be deleting it. It is just like any tool. You have to understand how to use it and set it up properly to get any benefit from it.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Elon Musk has deleted his personal Facebook page as well as the pages for Tesla and SpaceX.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/23/1715 ... -challenge

Apparently the business pages each had about 2.6 million followers.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

oldfatguy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:15 am

No and no.
Ok then....good for you!

Do you use an abacus to balance your checkbook by candlelight and drive a horse and carriage to the grocery store? :P
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Loik098 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:24 am ......

Of course I run a firewall, so that viruses and malware don't shut down my equipment. This has little to nothing to do with privacy of my contacts and texts, which is what your original comment was addressing.

No, I thought I made it clear that I don't care what mundane info is being collected or tracked about me. Still haven't heard a good reason for why I should.

If you read my post, I'm not advocating for someone to lose complete control of sensitive data.
I'd argue giving away all the personal 'data' via Facebook (and the like) is an avenue to lose complete control of ones sensitive data.

Sure, much of it is probably used to market useless stuff to you (new cars, items to purchase) but there are data brokers who buy and collect that data.....

This is worth a watch:

The end of privacy "The Data Brokers: Selling your personal information"

madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Snowjob wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:31 pm I worked with a gentleman who refused to use EZpass because the state could track his whereabouts and habits.
Nowadays, with the proliferation of license plate readers, the EZPass really is a drop in the bucket. I got my Fastrak in the bay area years ago and I think I used it a grandtotal of one time so far. Still have money on it ...
I honestly put Facebook tracking in roughly the same bucket. Nothing bad is going to happen IMO. Institutions get hacked every day, I'd be more concerned about bank and credit card fraud where real damage is being done. I have yet to see any one link a widespread Facebook data breach to something harmful. The best I've seen so far is this argument of targeted fake political ads, but frankly almost every internet meme has something stretched and god if its political they are usually laughably skewed at best. If anything exposure to all this garbage makes you a better observer and critical thinker, maybe that's me but I just don't see anything yet.
One major difference is that financial transactions can be reversed in case of fraud. It is much harder to do if we are talking to hacking of elections, in whatever form they may take (disinformation, hacking voting machines, etc). There is no provision for election re-dos in most cases. I would not dismiss the power of negative political ads. But it is not something we can discuss here on bogleheads, unfortunately. The positive "consumer ads" type don't bother me so much on Facebook. I rarely click on them, but often elect to hide them in my browser, as they are rarely relevant.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

grayfox wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:44 am I stopped using Facebook long ago, and would have deleted it long ago, but every time I tried to find the way to delete it, I spent 10 minutes searching for the delete my account button. Never found it.

But now that so many are leaving, there are newspaper articles telling how to delete it.

Here is how to delete Facebook

He gone.
Thanks. Save me some time to look it up. The tougher part is to disconnect from Spotify and others. Now I've to create more IDs.
Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 »

I have a difficult time believing that reading Facebook posts makes us better critical thinkers . First, who knows who is actually posting , second , a book or discussion with a friend may change my mind on a variety of topics . It is doubtful a Facebook post or tweet would do so , at least for me .
Snowjob wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:31 pm
triceratop wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:38 pm
Snowjob wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:29 pm No.

Facebook is an amazing tool. Share photos and videos, plan events, messaging service, market place.

I see this mostly as paranoia, politics.
"it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you"

The problems with data collection are very real. Of course, as consumers we make individual choices about the privacy mix we value. At least, until differential privacy takes off (or is legally mandated). (as an aside, along with "homomorphic encryption" and "deniable encryption" these are the CS things I am most excited about in the coming years).
I worked with a gentleman who refused to use EZpass because the state could track his whereabouts and habits. I honestly put Facebook tracking in roughly the same bucket. Nothing bad is going to happen IMO. Institutions get hacked every day, I'd be more concerned about bank and credit card fraud where real damage is being done. I have yet to see any one link a widespread Facebook data breach to something harmful. The best I've seen so far is this argument of targeted fake political ads, but frankly almost every internet meme has something stretched and god if its political they are usually laughably skewed at best. If anything exposure to all this garbage makes you a better observer and critical thinker, maybe that's me but I just don't see anything yet.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

I have temporarily deactivated my Facebook account. I want to seriously think about the privacy concerns of having a Facebook account before reactivating it. I am still using Facebook messenger and WhatsApp.

I would prefer to use Signal instead of the other messengers, but looks like most of my contacts don't use it yet.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

LazyNihilist wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:57 pm I have temporarily deactivated my Facebook account.
Same - I just did so today. Several reasons:
- Instead of primarily being used for connecting with friends & family, the news feed has turned into a marketing stream. FB ads combined with friends selling Avon, Tupperware, etc. People promoting their website, blog, etc. I found myself scrolling down using the 'page down' key more than the normal scroll bar since there's just so much BS embedded into the main feed now.
- Sick of listening to people's view on politics and other divisive/controversial matters that only throws gas on a fire.
- Sick of there being no "thumbs down" vote, only up.
- Sick of making/maintaining Mark Zuckerberg's wealth through website/tool as simplistic as FB is.
- Sick of wasting a decent amount of time/productivity daily scrolling through the nonsense & noise.
- Most millennials don't use FB - its for old people.
- And while I've always been privacy-minded and never entered most data fields and other info requests on the platform, it aggravates me that FB lets malicious app developers not only access my data, but all of my friends data too - who may not be as privacy-minded.

Bottom line - I don't need FB. #DeleteFacebook
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

I read the first page and scanned the rest of this thread so apologies if this was mentioned already.

Based on the demographic that I think probably comes to this forum I correctly predicted that most would have the response:
"Nope I never used Facebook in the first place"
and
"I deleted it a long time ago".

It's interesting anyway.

I did not delete Facebook and don't plan to. It's a way for me to keep in contact with some old friends (I know... you'll probably say just give them a call) and to keep updated on what old acquaintances are up to (I know.. you'll probably say quit being nosey) ;-)
Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 »

Actually a number of younger posters/millennial have chimed in saying they are off Facebook or considering it due to recent issues .

cbr shadow wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:42 pm I read the first page and scanned the rest of this thread so apologies if this was mentioned already.

Based on the demographic that I think probably comes to this forum I correctly predicted that most would have the response:
and

It's interesting anyway.

I did not delete Facebook and don't plan to. It's a way for me to keep in contact with some old friends (I know... you'll probably say just give them a call) and to keep updated on what old acquaintances are up to (I know.. you'll probably say quit being nosey) ;-)
Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 »

Jcraz13 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:46 pm Actually some younger posters/millennials have chimed in saying they are off Facebook or considering it due to recent issues .

cbr shadow wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:42 pm I read the first page and scanned the rest of this thread so apologies if this was mentioned already.

and

It's interesting anyway.

bluelight

Post by bluelight »

I'm not deleting it. Half of my family and most of my oldest friends live a few hours away from me. For all of the bad on Facebook, it allows me to stay up to date with them. I have also recently moved and joined community groups on FB. These have provided a wealth of info for me about places to go, things to do in my new hometown.

I consider FB to be a valuable resource. Just like anything you need to go in with your eyes open .... take what you want and leave the rest.
Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle »

Facebook, Amazon an Google collect far too much information surreptitiously and with no oversight. I never use Facebook, will never buy an Alexa, or Ring doorbell and block everything possible when using Google.

I trust Apple a little more, but not much more.