Fuel additives

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newbie003

Fuel additives

Post by newbie003 »

Are these of any real value?  Years ago I was always told there was no reason to use any sort of additive of any kind.  But I see a lot of products now with hundreds of great reviews, and am wondering if I should be using something.  In particular I was looking at:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0097SDUTE/ ... B00092893E

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Is this just a waste of money or is it truly beneficial to use something like this?  And/or is it only beneficial if I've been having issues, but if all seems to be going well, no need for it?

My car is around 8 years old with about 70k miles and, knock on wood, runs quite well. Wife's car is 4 years old with 35k miles.

​​​​​​​Thanks!
lthenderson

Re: Fuel additives

Post by lthenderson »

I thought all modern gasoline blends found in gas stations these days have additives already in them?
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

From everything I've read and seen, Direct Injection(GDI) has a real problem with carbon buildup over time.

From everything I've read, fuel additives don't fix or prevent this issue.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

From everything I've read and seen, Direct Injection(GDI) has a real problem with carbon buildup over time.

From everything I've read, fuel additives don't fix or prevent this issue.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I wouldn't waste my money on this, especially on a car that runs well if you use good gas. The reviews do make it sound tempting as a last ditch effort.

I have successfully (for the last two months at least) used a Bars Leak tablets on a very small coolant leak from the back of my engine. It would have required taking the transmission off to replace a 50 cent gasket. So maybe not all fix-in-a-bottle solutions are gimmicks.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

In general not needed. But on my higher mileage vehicles I put in a can, 16 oz, of SeaFoam every 3 months or so. Does it work? Not sure, but for $6/can I've never had any issue with INJECTORS, MAF, Throttle body etc.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

bob60014 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am In general not needed. But on my higher mileage vehicles I put in a can, 16 oz, of SeaFoam every 3 months or so. Does it work? Not sure, but for $6/can I've never had any issue with INJECTORS, MAF, Throttle body etc.
I'm running 2 cars, each at about 140k miles, and haven't used any injector cleaner. No known issues with injectors, MAF, throttle body, plugs. I also have $50/yr more than you in my wallet.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

bob60014 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am In general not needed. But on my higher mileage vehicles I put in a can, 16 oz, of SeaFoam every 3 months or so. Does it work? Not sure, but for $6/can I've never had any issue with INJECTORS, MAF, Throttle body etc.
MAF and Throttle body don't touch fuel so don't give credit to seafoam for that.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

If you never use Top Tier gasoline. Then there is probably some benefit to periodic use of some additives, say once a quarter.

If you fill up with Top Tier gasoline at least once a month, there is probably no benefit.

Top Tier gasoline has a significantly better detergent package that will reduce carbon build up.

This has been demonstrated with engine teardowns. I have no idea if either help with Direct Injection(GDI). I would think that Top Tier gasoline couldn't hurt.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Thanks all. I generally use top tier gas, and have somewhat lower mileage cars, so I guess I'll save my money :)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Waste of money.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
deikel

Post by deikel »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:15 am Waste of money.
+1
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

newbie003 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 am Are these of any real value?  Years ago I was always told there was no reason to use any sort of additive of any kind.  But I see a lot of products now with hundreds of great reviews, and am wondering if I should be using something. 
Actually additives have been around since prehistoric times. Nobody needed them back then, and nobody needs them now. But like a lot of unnecessary products they sure sell.

A quick look in your owners manual will tell you what the engineers that designed your car recommend for fuel. Chances are, they know more about your car than the additive people.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Buy high quality gasoline most of the time, and it's not necessary or beneficial to use further additives. If you don't believe me, read the owner's manual for your car and believe whatever that says.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Stonebr wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:30 pm
newbie003 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 am Are these of any real value?  Years ago I was always told there was no reason to use any sort of additive of any kind.  But I see a lot of products now with hundreds of great reviews, and am wondering if I should be using something. 
Actually additives have been around since prehistoric times. Nobody needed them back then, and nobody needs them now. But like a lot of unnecessary products they sure sell.

A quick look in your owners manual will tell you what the engineers that designed your car recommend for fuel. Chances are, they know more about your car than the additive people.
And they know far more than the consumers writing “reviews”
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you are going to use a fuel additive, the Chevron Techron you listed is considered one of the better ones. That said, I would only use these if you are having issues with your car running poorly and while it may not correct the problem, it might be worth it to try since it’s only $10 or so.
ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot »

My car manual says cleaning may be needed if Top Tier gas is not used. I always get Top Tier gas. And now that even Arco has it, it is not hard to get every time.
TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo »

I have a gasoline powered motorhome that only gets run for a half hour a month during the winter. For it, I add Seafoam to the fuel at the end of the season.
I had gen-set problems a few years ago, and a big name service center insisted that a carburetor replacement was my only hope. The manufacturer recommended the Seafoam, and the gen-set started and settled down after only a few minutes. I have been sold on it since.
However, that is sort of a specialized application, and I do not use anything in my other vehicles.
“Love with your heart; Use your brain for everything else.” -Captain Disillusion
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

I have a fondness for "Marine Sta Bil" added in minimum amount at fueling when the car doesn't get driven enough to need fuel added for 3 or 4 months. But probably more valuable for lawnmower engine and chainsaw gas.
jbranx

Post by jbranx »

Lexus manual says it "highly recommends" use of Top Tier gasoline. Think Toyota says not to use additives, but not sure about the Top Tier recommendation. I've only had the dealer do an additive or some such once on my 2004 Avalon, which is still purring, when it got sluggish on acceleration.

I always use Stabil in all engines that aren't used for several months.

Here's the list of officially designated Top Tier brands, but I have no independent knowledge that the cheapo stations don't have the same quality gas. Surprised that Kroger doesn't have TT, but Costco and Sam's Club does, for ex:

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Use Top Tier gas and forget the additives. I was very pleased when Costco gas was certified as Top Tier a few years ago.

I now see dealers in our area advertising oil additives as part of their premium service package. Sheesh!! No wonder dealers have a poor reputation for selling unnecessary services.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

My DD is a diesel, and I add 4oz of Power Service Diesel Kleen to every tank during the winter only. It has additional anti-gelling agents, and the car seems to run a lot more smoothly in the cold with it than without. I stop using it when I put my summer tires on in the spring. That probably costs me $15/year or so, which I consider very worthwhile.

I don't use anything in our gasoline cars, and never have.

For small engines where the fuel tends to sit, I do. The 4-strokes get their fuel treated with Sta-Bil to prevent it from going off while it sits. Switching to the more water-resistant Sta-Bil Marine for the portable generator I'm installing as a whole-house backup. I use Amsoil Saber 2-stroke oil for the engines that require a gas/oil mix, as it has an excellent additive package and fuel stabilizer built in. A one-quart bottle costs me $10 and lasts about six years.