Direct TV vs. Cable

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dave1054

Direct TV vs. Cable

Post by dave1054 »

Does anyone have experience with Direct TV. I hate to mess with my cable tv, dvr, internet and voip bundled in one package for about $200. Any thoughts?
mhc

Re: Direct TV vs. Cable

Post by mhc »

We have direct tv at work. One morning I came to work while it was snowing. I turned on the tv to see the weather report. There was no signal. I decided I would never get satellite tv.

I would be really upset if I could not watch a live sporting event during a snow storm.
assistca1

Post by assistca1 »

I like youtubetv. It comes out to $40 a month. It has many channels and live sports.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

It (DirectTV) goes dead in the snow or sometime other inclement weather. All dishes do in my experience. It's annoying.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Most of the discussions are about "cutting the cord". Search that term in the search box.

Depending on how many TVs you have, you will get a teaser rate for 1 year. A slightly higher rate for another year. After 2 years, you will go back to normal (high) pricing and your bundle will likely cost as much as your cable bundle.

Many are going to good internet + streaming service as a way to avoid a contract and lower the price.

We play $55 for 100mb internet (no bandwidth cap) and $45 for Playstation Vue (Amazon Fire TV Box/Stick) on each TV. Add Netflix and Amazon Prime to round out our "package". Say $120 all in. Vue has a built in DVR. 5 simultaneous streams. Performance on the Fire TV boxes is great.

I came from DirecTV. It is fine, but expensive on the normal pricing. Weather issues (heavy snow and rain) do happen. Not very often, but they happen.

Our solution for the past 2 years is much simpler. No cable boxes, no cables running to the cable jacks. All wi-fi solution. Fire TV has a simple remote and great UI. We dumped our local phone number long ago, so that is not in scope for us. My parents still pay $50/month to keep their local number. Their bundle is also $200/month with no boxes or HD. Monopoly as there are no other solutions for phone/internet.

I would choose to stay with your cable solution unless you are interested in a streaming solution. (DirecTVNow, Hulu, Playstation Vue, YouTube TV)
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

Been a DirecTV customer for about 6 years. I live in NH where it snows a lot, and I think the comments about it going out are very overstated. I bet in those 6 years I've been without reception for a total of 2 hours or so

It depends quite a bit on how and where it's installed
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I had Direct TV for a long time and thought it was great. The offerings and equipment were very good, and cheaper than cable. I no longer have it, though, because I didn't like any of the dish placement options where I now live. Another downside - no internet to speak of so you need another option (and standalone internet is often more expensive than when purchased in a bundle).

I lose my current cable signal about as often as I used to lose the Direct TV signal, but that's just my personal experience.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

fishmonger wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:06 pm I think the comments about it going out are very overstated.
Agree. I grew up in the midwest and was terrified of that problem. When I moved to California we got it because it was the only way to get Big Ten Network at the time. Moved back to Michigan and kept it for Sunday ticket and yeah lost the signal like 3 times. Twice was from snow--I took a broom outside and fixed the situation (the dish was only about 8 feet off the ground, not on the roof). The other time was a bad thunderstorm and it was out for less than 5 minutes.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
shorty313

Post by shorty313 »

We have had directv for over 15 years and have always been pleased with service and customer service. Outages were rare and CS is great.

That said, just this week we cord cut and went to YouTube TV. Cost was creeping higher than we are willing to pay with current options.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

rgs92 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:01 pm It (DirectTV) goes dead in the snow or sometime other inclement weather. All dishes do in my experience. It's annoying.
That usually means sticky snow has covered the dish. I just go out and wipe it off - (mine is on a pole in the backyard).
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

mhc wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:57 pm We have direct tv at work. One morning I came to work while it was snowing. I turned on the tv to see the weather report. There was no signal.
This is a very common occurrence with just about any satellite-delivered signal, especially those at higher frequencies (Ku and X band). Generally if you can keep the snow from collecting in the dish (ie sweep it out every so often), it shouldn't cut the signal all that much. I've had more instances of Ku satellite signals getting dunked by heavy rain than by snow (as long as I kept the dishes cleaned out).
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I've been DirectTV customer 20 years:

Pros:
- Customer Service generally very good
- You can get discounts and sometimes negotiate better rates
- Bundling discounts with ATT wireless if you already have ATT wireless
- I just like the menu layout and selections of DTV than what i have seen with Cable
- NFL ticket if you are in to that (I'm not)

Cons:
- You lose out on ability to bundle with your cable internet, so you may end up paying more in total
- while it is good to be able to get promos and negotiate, it becomes frustrating having to hassle with this every few months as the discounts/promos roll off
- On occasion you may actually have to cancel to get the best discounts
- The best packages are reserved for new customers. If you don't actively manage your accounts and rates, you can end up paying a LOT of money.

Meh:
- Weather - a hard rain, or snow (rare that snow is enough in TX to make a difference) can interrupt reception. However, it is usually short lived. I generally find it preferable to cable experience of thunderstorms and pretty long outages waiting for wires somewhere to be fixed. We do have occasionally outages with our cable internet also.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Have you considered Direct TV Now?

It is internet based delivery of Direct TV channels.

I'm in a transition phase of dumping my bundle with Wrectu....um Spectrum and only keeping internet.

Then use Roku with a Direct TV Now (over internet) base subscription.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

fishmonger wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:06 pm Been a DirecTV customer for about 6 years. I live in NH where it snows a lot, and I think the comments about it going out are very overstated. I bet in those 6 years I've been without reception for a total of 2 hours or so

It depends quite a bit on how and where it's installed
I had it when I previously lived in Vermont. It was not a huge problem but sometimes I had to go outside and remove snow and ice from the dish to restore service.
Friar1610
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

I have cable TV at home but Direct TV at our vacation home. Direct TV is SLOOOWWW. I press a button on the remote and there is a lag until the TV responds. Sometimes it's a long enough lag that I press the button again and then it catches up and goes too far and I have to go back.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

If it's on the roof (the most common configuration on a house), it's just about impossible to get the snow off. Ours went out for hours at a time many times a year.
Otherwise, the service was fine when it was working.
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

For a short time I lived in a moderate snow area that was remote enough to not have cable as an option. The locals just coated their dish with a heavy layer of Pam. I know it sounds weird, but it seemed to work.

To your primary question, I had DirecTv for 10-ish years. Finally let go and went with the local cable tv/internet provider. From a price standpoint DTV simply wasn’t competitive. From a technology standpoint (features, dvr, etc) they are heads above my current provider, I simply can’t justify the premium.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

dave1054 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:50 pm Does anyone have experience with Direct TV. I hate to mess with my cable tv, dvr, internet and voip bundled in one package for about $200. Any thoughts?
I have switched back and forth between Direct TV and the cable company for well over a decade and in general, I find their setups equally easy and very similar to use. The only reason I switch is to reduce the cost of them every two or three years as needed. Whenever my cost for the bundle starts approaching $200, by switching I can reduce the price back below $100. They make it really easy since they come install their equipment for free and leave a pile of the old equipment behind which I have the old company send a box for that I put everything in and the UPS man picks it up a few days later. Well worth it for the $1000+ I will save over the coming year before the rates get hiked up again.

With Direct TV, I do occasionally have outages during heavy snow and rain events. With the snow I can wipe off with a broom from my deck and I'm back in business but with hard rains, it is game over until it lets up. Doesn't happen very often but it does happen. The other thing with Direct TV that I don't like is that in my area anyway, I don't get any local channels and have to petition them just to get channels (ABC, CBS, NBS, FOX, PBS) from one of the coasts. The last time I had Direct TV, my petition to get an East Coast CBS station was denied (never had that happen before) and so after a couple months without CBS, I cancelled and went back to my local cable company. I've had it for two years and after the next rate hike, I will call and threaten them to reduce it or I will be going back to Direct TV again.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

lthenderson wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 am
dave1054 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:50 pm Does anyone have experience with Direct TV. I hate to mess with my cable tv, dvr, internet and voip bundled in one package for about $200. Any thoughts?
I have switched back and forth between Direct TV and the cable company for well over a decade and in general, I find their setups equally easy and very similar to use. The only reason I switch is to reduce the cost of them every two or three years as needed. Whenever my cost for the bundle starts approaching $200, by switching I can reduce the price back below $100. They make it really easy since they come install their equipment for free and leave a pile of the old equipment behind which I have the old company send a box for that I put everything in and the UPS man picks it up a few days later. Well worth it for the $1000+ I will save over the coming year before the rates get hiked up again.

With Direct TV, I do occasionally have outages during heavy snow and rain events. With the snow I can wipe off with a broom from my deck and I'm back in business but with hard rains, it is game over until it lets up. Doesn't happen very often but it does happen. The other thing with Direct TV that I don't like is that in my area anyway, I don't get any local channels and have to petition them just to get channels (ABC, CBS, NBS, FOX, PBS) from one of the coasts. The last time I had Direct TV, my petition to get an East Coast CBS station was denied (never had that happen before) and so after a couple months without CBS, I cancelled and went back to my local cable company. I've had it for two years and after the next rate hike, I will call and threaten them to reduce it or I will be going back to Direct TV again.
No local channels with Direct TV?? That would be a game changer for me unless I could rig up an antenna. Free ShowTime this weekend (season premiere of Billions)
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

The whole weather outage issue is way overblown:

1) My dish (it's new) has a special coating that prevents snow from sticking to the dish. It seems to work. Over this past winter, I had zero outages due to snow. Even the wet stuff didn't stick. No ice either.

2) Very heavy rain will cause a signal loss. These strong storms are infrequent, and I don't recall a storm-related signal loss ever lasting more than 5 minutes.

I've been a Directv customer since 1997.
Funding secured
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

DanMahowny wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:40 am The whole weather outage issue is way overblown:

1) My dish (it's new) has a special coating that prevents snow from sticking to the dish. It seems to work. Over this past winter, I had zero outages due to snow. Even the wet stuff didn't stick. No ice either.

2) Very heavy rain will cause a signal loss. These strong storms are infrequent, and I don't recall a storm-related signal loss ever lasting more than 5 minutes.

I've been a Directv customer since 1997.
I'll bet spraying starch or sizing from a can prior to the storm would help as well. I do that to my snowblower. Of course may be difficult if roof mounted Dish.