How to conduct job search, hi tech industry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunny_socal

How to conduct job search, hi tech industry

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 am

Hi all,

My megacorp is on the ropes. There is a company-wide hiring freeze so even internal transfers are not possible. Layoffs are underway but I know I am not part of them. That would normally be reassuring, but all my projects have been cancelled. The last two years of products were stopped at production and there are no plans for the future. The team is being kept for support purposes on legacy products.

What is the best way to conduct a job search these days? I would like to avoid taking a big pay cut and indeed the only acceptable scenario is when moving out of state to a 'low cost of living' area. I'm located in southern CA.

Career thus far:
- ASIC engineering (ie. microchips, those found in cell phones and computers)
- Wireless modem design (ie. all the common wireless protocols found in your phone)
- 'Front end' design and coding, integration
- FPGA (ASIC prototyping)
- Team and project management

The market for these skills seems to be concentrated in Silicon Valley but my wife is fairly adamant about not moving up there. (If I were unemployed I'm sure it would become an option.) We're open to Southern California, Idaho, Utah, Texas, and possibly Oregon and Washington.

Thoughts/Questions:
- Do not wish to make current management aware that I'm actively looking
- I'm already on LinkedIn, my profile is up to date. My status is set to "Open to new opportunities"
- Is it worth creating a profile within various employer websites? Will someone actually find my resume and give me a call?
- Are there any job websites that are worth signing up for? (eg. dice, indeed, monster etc)
- Should I go through head hunters?

I will of course begin contacting former colleagues and brush on my networking skills.

Thanks

Hillview

Re: How to conduct job search, hi tech industry

Post by Hillview » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 am

1) Update your linked in profile -- make sure NOTIFICATIONS are OFF else everyone in your network will see you are updating/looking.
2) Make sure your photo is professional looking
3) Make sure your summary and descriptions and titles are all correct AND have the right key words appropriate for your role and what people are looking for
4) Start networking -- reach out to former colleagues who have moved on, let them know confidentially you are looking (if you trust them)
5) Yes find a good head hunter or 2 (more than that is less good, too much overlap). Ask around for a good one.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:44 am

IMO you should reconsider Silicon Valley. There are many opportunities here, and despite the naysayers it's a pretty nice place to live if you can afford it. Your background would make you a great fit for a certain fruity company in Cupertino. There are many startups doing hardware design as well.

MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:04 pm

You can probably find work in LA or San Diego.

Be aware that any recruiting/HR personnel within your current company will be able to see that you're Open to New Opportunities on LinkedIn, however given the circumstances you outlined I'm guessing a large amount of employees are doing the exact same thing so I doubt you'll be singled out.

Posting your resume on Indeed, Monster, etc., will also be visible to your HR/Recruitment teams and is a more clear indicator that you're looking to jump ship. I would be more cautious about posting a resume on one of those boards for that reason. But, to answer your question, yes you will be contacted however maybe 75% or more will be jobs/companies you won't be interested in.

Head hunters can make your life a lot easier, no reason not to consider working with one if the opportunity presents itself. Given you don't want your employer to know you're looking, you'll need to be conscientious of how often you're stepping out for an hour or a half-day in order to interview. So, when speaking to a head hunter I'd be clear about the type of role you want and the type of company you want to work for, so that when you're taking time off to interview it's for a role you're actually interested in.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:18 pm

If you are interested in 4 Northeasters a year, the northeast has a boatload of chip designer positions open. I know because although I'm not a chip designer, linkedin sends me those jobs anyway. I work for a chip company.

Are there specialty headhunters in your line of work? I know in my line, there are 2. One's based in Boston and one somewhere in California. If so, shoot them a resume.

Be particular with the location you want to work if that's important to you. Head hunters will press you to consider moving anyways. I once couldn't get one off my back for a southern CA job. I said if I can get the same house there that I now have, I'd consider it. Wasn't going to happen.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Amphian

Post by Amphian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm

I was laid off from my software engineering job in mid-January. (You seem to be more hardware based, but hopefully my experience is mostly applicable.)

I started another job last week with which I am very happy. It would not have been that fast if I had not gone through a recruiter. As someone else said, it's best to find one that specializes in technologies related to what you want to do. For example, I have about a decade of experience with a particular SaaS. I went with a recruiter who had that SaaS as one of maybe two dozen things they specifically recruited for. I did also work with two other recruiters, but it was that specialized one that landed the job.

To add to the list of places to consider - Denver/Boulder Colorado has a lot of tech jobs and, while housing is getting bad, the cost of living is nothing like the coasts. I don’t have any idea what the market is like there for your specific skills, but it’s something to research.

I have a LinkedIn profile. It was not useful and a generator of spam, but having one is pretty much mandatory from what I can tell.

I would only create a profile on a specific employer site if there was a job listed there you wanted to apply for. I did twice - one called, one did not. I had to make a profile on my new employer’s hiring site, but that was after the recruiter hooked us up and I was offered the job.

I’m trying to remember if I ended up open posting my resume anywhere - I looked at Dice, Indeed, Glassdoor, Monster, etc. As others have said, you need to be careful about this if you do not want your company to know.

I got free outplacement coaching when laid off. While that wasn't directly useful in finding a job, it did help with me tightening up my resume, thinking about my "brand", etc. It might be worth looking for a book on that if it's been a while since you last job hunted. It had been almost two decades since I had looked for a job (My last job recruited me directly.), but you might already have a good handle on this if you have been in the market recently enough.

Good luck!

Nekrotok

Post by Nekrotok » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Assuming you are looking at staying with your profession in the same industry, wouldn't you already know all the prospective companies to apply to? Seems you could apply to their company websites directly and check indeed.com and other websites for any companies you may have overlooked or were not aware of. FYI I believe Apple and Ericsson are hiring in the Austin area and SpaceX is hiring in Redmond so you may want to check them out if you haven't already.
Last edited by Nekrotok on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dn123

Post by dn123 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 pm

This sounds like QCOM. IMHO, I would stick it out. They are just going through a rough patch and somehow they will pull through. I did my time there and thats just the story of the place. OTOH, if you are motivated, the bay area is obviously much better for people with your background, but you have to stomach the housing situation and traffic and its got its own set of pros/cons vs SD. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:18 pm
If you are interested in 4 Northeasters a year, the northeast has a boatload of chip designer positions open. I know because although I'm not a chip designer, linkedin sends me those jobs anyway. I work for a chip company.

Are there specialty headhunters in your line of work? I know in my line, there are 2. One's based in Boston and one somewhere in California. If so, shoot them a resume.

Be particular with the location you want to work if that's important to you. Head hunters will press you to consider moving anyways. I once couldn't get one off my back for a southern CA job. I said if I can get the same house there that I now have, I'd consider it. Wasn't going to happen.
The Northeast (Rte 128 in MA, etc) does have lots of that kind of job. As for climate, there are issues everywhere. Take your choice of nor'easters, hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfire, floods, tornados.

chasingadvice

Post by chasingadvice » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:17 pm

I'm in the same industry as you OP (ASIC front end). I was let go in Dec 2016. I had good success by contacting Recruiters directly on LinkedIn.
Search for job openings on LinkedIn and in most of the cases you would find the Recruiter who posted the job. Contact them directly through LinkedIn message or email them your resume with the position(s) you are interested in and matches your skill set. It would be worth to have premium membership for few months.

Another thing that helped me was asking ex-colleagues to refer me at their current employers through internal referral system or directly forwarding resume to hiring managers in their group.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:49 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 am
What is the best way to conduct a job search these days?
The specifics and technologies involved have changed to some degree but it's still all about networking. LinkedIn was mentioned above and it can be a very useful networking tool but don't underestimate all the old school methods of networking as well.

jda

Post by jda » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:56 pm

If you want to stay in SoCal, you can try Broadcom and Maxlinear. If you are willing to move, I believe Apple is doing some ASIC stuffs in Austin.

pretzelfisch

Post by pretzelfisch » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:45 pm

Amphian wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm
I was laid off from my software engineering job in mid-January. (You seem to be more hardware based, but hopefully my experience is mostly applicable.)

I started another job last week with which I am very happy. It would not have been that fast if I had not gone through a recruiter. As someone else said, it's best to find one that specializes in technologies related to what you want to do. For example, I have about a decade of experience with a particular SaaS. I went with a recruiter who had that SaaS as one of maybe two dozen things they specifically recruited for. I did also work with two other recruiters, but it was that specialized one that landed the job.

To add to the list of places to consider - Denver/Boulder Colorado has a lot of tech jobs and, while housing is getting bad, the cost of living is nothing like the coasts. I don’t have any idea what the market is like there for your specific skills, but it’s something to research.

I have a LinkedIn profile. It was not useful and a generator of spam, but having one is pretty much mandatory from what I can tell.

I would only create a profile on a specific employer site if there was a job listed there you wanted to apply for. I did twice - one called, one did not. I had to make a profile on my new employer’s hiring site, but that was after the recruiter hooked us up and I was offered the job.

I’m trying to remember if I ended up open posting my resume anywhere - I looked at Dice, Indeed, Glassdoor, Monster, etc. As others have said, you need to be careful about this if you do not want your company to know.

I got free outplacement coaching when laid off. While that wasn't directly useful in finding a job, it did help with me tightening up my resume, thinking about my "brand", etc. It might be worth looking for a book on that if it's been a while since you last job hunted. It had been almost two decades since I had looked for a job (My last job recruited me directly.), but you might already have a good handle on this if you have been in the market recently enough.

Good luck!
Did using the Recruiter help get you around some of the SV companies code challenges or day long interviews?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:56 pm

pretzelfisch wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:45 pm
Did using the Recruiter help get you around some of the SV companies code challenges or day long interviews?
No, if the company does full day coding interviews, you will need to be able to handle a full day coding interview. Recruiters can sometimes get you an interview that you might not have been able to get by applying on your own, but you still need to be able to pass the interview.

A good LinkedIn profile will get the attention of recruiters, some of which are actually useful. I got my last job that way.

LinkedIn is also useful for networking. In particular, finding and keeping in loose touch with former coworkers, friends of coworkers, people you’ve met at conferences, etc. You need to take those LinkedIn contacts, and actually do the old school networking and ask them if they know of anyone that you should talk to, etc.

Amphian

Post by Amphian » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:13 pm

pretzelfisch wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:45 pm
Fortunately, I didn't have to go through any of that nonsense. I'm not sure if that's not a thing at my new company or if they had confidence in the recruiter's ability to vet. Maybe it's my level of experience? I know that became a thing sometime long after my first job.

Actually, after hitting submit on this I remembered I did have an interview like that once - at Amazon at the very start of the Recession - along with a lot of the "How many pounds of lightbulbs do we sell in a year that get returned?" type questions, where you are supposed to tell them how you'd figure out that answer and guess at all the numbers you use. That's the only full-day 6 or 8 people each one-at-a-time kind of interview I've ever had, and the first non-local interview, so I thought that was normal at the time. I must have done well enough, since I got an offer. :)