Outdoor Blower

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
J295

Outdoor Blower

Post by J295 »

Please recommend a battery powered outdoor blower a 58 year old couple can manage. Principal uses will be cleaning garage, driveway, and deck.
retiredjg

Re: Outdoor Blower

Post by retiredjg »

I have the EGO battery powered blower (Home Depot) and really like it a lot. I already had a couple of other EGO products, so I just bought the blower without the battery.

This product greatly exceeded my expectations and I find it handy for uses I never considered when I bought it. It is very quiet (for a blower) yet effective when on low blowing power. Very powerful when on high - but I don't need it on high very often.

There is a range of blowing power (not just low and high) and a button to push that gives an extra boost. This uses a lot of power and is only for short term bursts.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We have a corded blower / vacuum, which I use as a vacuum for leaves. But getting towards 80, a battery powered blower seems to be needed for fast effortless cleaning of walk ways, patios and drive way, eliminating using brooms. Thanks mentioning it!
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

In my 60s and have a wonderful Toro electric with a 100' extension cord. I think battery operated is too weak and runs out of power too fast....not for me.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Topic Author
J295

Post by J295 »

Thanks for the replies. Should have mentioned… We do have a electric cord operated large Toro unit… Kind of a hassle for us to use so that’s why we are getting a cordless…
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

I have a number of Kobalt 80v tools that work extremely well. String Trimmer (plus brush blade for heavy brush), Chainsaw and Blower. They all are very well built and perform beyond my expectations.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-volt ... d/50408240

Cheers
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

retiredjg wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 am I have the EGO battery powered blower (Home Depot) and really like it a lot. I already had a couple of other EGO products, so I just bought the blower without the battery.

This product greatly exceeded my expectations and I find it handy for uses I never considered when I bought it. It is very quiet (for a blower) yet effective when on low blowing power. Very powerful when on high - but I don't need it on high very often.

There is a range of blowing power (not just low and high) and a button to push that gives an extra boost. This uses a lot of power and is only for short term bursts.
I agree with this.The battery is interchangeable with other Ego products. It can be used to blow light dry snow.
I have the hedge trimmer also. Works great.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I would think you would need a power washer to do the cleaning you want to do.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Blues

Post by Blues »

I've been using a Black & Decker 20 volt system for years and it's been nothing but great. (I believe the system has been upgraded power-wise in recent years but it's the same setup.) I use it to blow leaves on the deck, porch, concrete walks, gravel driveways, and out of the rain ditches along our gravel roads. Occasionally, even for the garage floor.

I use the batteries with other B&D tools such as hand vacs, drills / drivers, circular saw, hedge trimmer etc. All have worked great.

On the one occasion we had a problem with a tool under warranty, B&D sent us a return label (free) and had a new product to us a week to the day after contacting them.

Hard to beat in my experience.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD »

We have several Greenworks items. Our first purchase was their handheld leaf blower, which works very well. The 80 V option is the way to go, the leaf blower is very powerful. There are three speed settings, and I only use the highest when there are wet leaves I need to move. Having a low setting is important for cleaning out the garage. If the blower is too high, you'll just make a bigger mess.

The battery will charge in about 30 minutes, so it's quick to charge and get back out there. Since we have multiple Greenworks tools, we got a second battery. By the time the second is depleted, the first is charged and ready to go again.

It sounds like other brands are getting into this space, which is great. I would look for any lineup with 80V or higher batteries. Try out the equipment and see if the ergonomics work for you. Costco had a Greenworks display where I was able to try all of their equipment out. It worked for me (hence the purchase), but the handheld unit might be tiring in extended use since you're holding the unit, the weight of the battery, and also pressing against the blower. Greenworks does sell a backpack blower unit which I assume would be just as effective as the handheld, but I have not tried it. This might be a better option for extended use or for someone with reduced grip strength.

Just took a look at the Kobalt 80V blower, and it's identical to the Greenworks. My guess it's just a rebadge of the same unit manufactured by Greenworks.

If you're going to want other outdoor equipment in addition to the blower, see if you can get all of your needs in one lineup. This way you can reuse the battery packs and charger, rather than having to maintain multiple sets.
LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 »

I realize you requested battery powered, I am unable to provide a recommendation.

We use a corded blower for leaves / sticks on driveway, roof, gutters, yard and I love it. One of my favorite purchases so I wanted to recommend -

Homelite 7 AMP blower 150 mph / 233 CFM for $30. The only reason I bought it is because it had outstanding reviews online (home depot)...sure enough, those reviews were right.
jm1495

Post by jm1495 »

Silk McCue wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:09 am I have a number of Kobalt 80v tools that work extremely well. String Trimmer (plus brush blade for heavy brush), Chainsaw and Blower. They all are very well built and perform beyond my expectations.

Cheers
I second this opinion< I have all of the 40 volt equipment and it's great. I can only imagine how good the 80 volt is.
S_Track

Post by S_Track »

J295 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:20 am Please recommend a battery powered outdoor blower a 58 year old couple can manage. Principal uses will be cleaning garage, driveway, and deck.
I have the Ego LB5302 blower along with their Trimmer and Chainsaw. I have no complaints, so much easier than the gas equivalents. The LB502 scored #1 in the cordless group from a recent test in consumer reports. For the tasks you mention above I think it would be perfect. Ego also has two newer and more powerful blowers available now as well but for higher price.

Cool test a guy did with a bunch blowers on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bswCWVuvzJs
jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 »

jm1495 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:30 am
Silk McCue wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:09 am I have a number of Kobalt 80v tools that work extremely well. String Trimmer (plus brush blade for heavy brush), Chainsaw and Blower. They all are very well built and perform beyond my expectations.

Cheers
I second this opinion< I have all of the 40 volt equipment and it's great. I can only imagine how good the 80 volt is.
I also have the Kobalt 80v blower (and the Kobalt 80v string strimmer which uses the same battery) and highly recommend it. I would definitely prefer the 80v over the 40v version as even the 80v battery sometimes does not last as long as I'd prefer.

I read somewhere that the Kobalts are just rebranded Greenworks devices, so if you don't have a Lowes nearby I know you can buy the Greenworks versions online at Amazon.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

S_Track wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:41 am Cool test a guy did with a bunch blowers on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bswCWVuvzJs
Good video. I have the smaller EGO blower - the green one that ran out at about 6 minutes. However, I never use mine at full power for more than a few seconds because it is so effective at lower power.

I typically use it for 3 to 5 minutes at a time. My typical jobs are to blow off porches, a walkway, a carport and a half basketball court. Once in awhile, I do the driveway. So more "light" duties than heavy. I charge mine usually once in the winter and every few weeks in the summer.
S_Track

Post by S_Track »

retiredjg wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 am I typically use it for 3 to 5 minutes at a time. My typical jobs are to blow off porches, a walkway, a carport and a half basketball court. Once in awhile, I do the driveway. So more "light" duties than heavy. I charge mine usually once in the winter and every few weeks in the summer.
Perfect for that, too much of a hassle to start up the gas blower or drag out and extension cord for a 3-5 min job.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

retiredjg wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 am I have the EGO battery powered blower (Home Depot) and really like it a lot. I already had a couple of other EGO products, so I just bought the blower without the battery.

I have all EGO products for my lawn.

weedwacker
hedge trimmer
blower
chainsaw.

I love them all (except the weedwacker).

I started buying ego stuff maybe 3 years ago and it has improved vastly in that time. Most all of my equipment is 1st generation. There have been quite a few iterations since with improvements made in performance and battery life.

I would not hesitate to buy EGO products they are fantastic and you don't have to spill that nasty small engine crap into the air.

I have 3 batteries so now I just buy the equipment instead of the batteries. You can probably get away with 2 depending. I was cutting down lots of trees (Ash trees died) and 3 battery rotation was great with the chainsaw.
jdb

Post by jdb »

If you want top of the line with most power (and also quietest) but also most expensive then Stihl BGA 85 is the one. Have used weekly throughout year. Lots of power and lasts long on one charge. Problem is also need to buy expensive battery and charger. I justified by also buying the battery chainsaw and battery trimmer and battery pole chainsaw all of which work off same battery. Recommend them all but are expensive. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Can further suggest the Ego model. Bought one for my father in law a couple of years ago who is a hard-core gas power tools guy and he was floored with how good it is.

At a cheaper price point I've been perfectly happy with my Ryobi model. Doesn't have the top end power of my gas blower, but it's so much better for 99% of what I actually use a blower for (clearing sidewalks, patio, driveways, etc) that my gas blower gets used about once a year now. Best power tool purchase I've ever made.
highercall

Post by highercall »

Another Ego buyer here. Love the blower, chain saw and hedge trimmer. Although hedge trimmer is currently at service center being fixed hopefully under warranty. Would I buy them again. Yes!
Unhandled

Post by Unhandled »

I have often seen the EGO brand in stores and they look impressive. However all the 80v and even the 40v products are not affordable for me.

I have been very happy with an 18V battery powered Ryobi "hard surface" blower. It has the option to run off battery or to plug in a cord. I rarely use the cord option. I primarily use it to blow dirt and leaves out of my garage, and to blow leaves/twigs/debris off my driveway/walkway/steps.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

I also recommend the EGO. It's amazing how handy it is and how many uses I find for it, because it's not necessary to start the thing up (like a gas blower) or string a cord (like a corded blower). It's great for cleanup after lawn mowing, clearing light snowfall, blowing debris off the deck, etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-110-MPH ... /206584690
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

+1

I have the blower mentioned above, replaced on older Stihl gas blower that was getting hard to start, super-happy with the Kobalt blower.
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

Stihl BGA56 or BGA85. Definitely prefer the BGA85, but it is a higher price. The BGA85 uses a battery system that's interchangeable with many units (I personally use a hedge trimmer, mower, chainsaw, and pole pruner)

Also, don't get caught up in the marketing of "moar volts r beter!" You need to also look at your amp hours. I've messed with 80v mowers sold at the big box stores that can't keep up with my 36v Stihl mower.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Ryobi makes a pretty decent cordless blower. Check Home Depot.