What have you baked recently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BroIceCream

Re: What have you baked recently?

Post by BroIceCream »

I fell off the wagon today, and was bad. I made a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese for lunch.
It was delicious.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Made flourless (for Passover) chocolate cake using a recipe from King Arthur Flour https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ake-recipe.

It was relatively quick and easy, my kitchen smelled heavenly for hours afterwards, and the cake was delicious (if I do say so myself)!
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

Everything. I have baked pretty much everything in the last 3 weeks:

homemade Pizza (3x)
Cornbread
Biscuits (at least 2x)
Lardsnaps (gingersnaps made with lard)
KAF Deli Rye Rolls
Grapefruit olive oil cake
Peanut Butter Cookies (2x)
Blondies
Tarte Tatin
Naan

I have a sourdough starter going that I hope to be able to use in the next few days. I have some other recipes queued up: KAF's Scandinavia Gold Cake because I have almond flour, KAF's flourless chocolate cookies because I want to try flourless recipes in case I run out, Kugelhopf and Princesstarta and eclairs because I have just re-watched season one on the Great British Bakeoff, and a carrot cake because Easter.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Well, if you consider barbecue baking, then last week I made barbecued pizza:

-preheat grill to medium
-put spread out raw pizza dough on oiled grill for 45 seconds
-flip dough over for 45 sec
-remove dough
-dress pizza dough with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, basil leaves, a little Parmesan cheese, drizzle of olive oil
-return to grill for 9"
-remove, let sit for a minute...slice and eat.

You'll notice that this tastes like brick oven pizza. BTW, I'm an Italian from NYC :beer
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Bought this 1-lb loaf bread machine from ebay. It's from the late 80s when they just came to the market. It's Made in Japan! I wanted to get the Zojirushi but even the used ones were going for $120+ on ebay.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

In the last two weeks I've made a cheddar cheese beer bread, brown butter chocolate chip cookies, a blueberry lemon tart and a German apple pancake.

Coming up, I've got the fixings for a peach upside down cake, banana bread, carrot bread, hatch chile cornbread and flour tortillas. The tortillas will go great with the carnitas I'm making this weekend and I'll hold off on the cornbread till I make my next big batch of chili.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

black jack wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:21 am Made flourless (for Passover) chocolate cake using a recipe from King Arthur Flour https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ake-recipe.

It was relatively quick and easy, my kitchen smelled heavenly for hours afterwards, and the cake was delicious (if I do say so myself)!
Wow!
Guaranteed to ruin my figure if I had one!
Thanks for the recipe link.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I make this cake regularly using my sourdough discard. It's heavenly, however it took me a few tries and tweaks to get it right.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ake-recipe

Here are my tweaks:

- I use sifted cake flour instead of AP flour
- For the initial step of mixing the sourdough starter, milk, and flour, I only start with whisking the sourdough starter and milk together first so it blends nicely, then I stir in the sifted flour. If you put all 3 in at once it turns into an unwhiskable gloppy mess.
- I emphasized the sifting because it's really important to get clumps out of the flour otherwise they may show up in the finished product
- Make sure to allow the 2-3 hours (maybe more) for the flour/starter/milk mixture to rise a bit before proceeding
- Use room temperature eggs and allow your starter to get to room temperature also before starting
- I personally don't ice the cake, a dusting of powdered sugar is plenty for us
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I baked cinnamon rolls for Easter morning, and found myself wondering why sometimes I'm reluctant to start baking something even if I know I have the time. Cinnamon rolls are more work than most things I bake, yet very much worth the effort - far better than the store bought.

This time I refrigerated the dough overnight for convenience, then let it warm on the counter. I think the advocates of slow rising are right. It does seem like I get a better texture when I do this.

Yesterday I made buttermilk pancakes - not baking, but at least a bread product, and I'm gradually getting more consistent about achieving the optimal batter consistency and skillet temperature (the poor quality of Samsung electric stoves makes this more difficult). Yesterday they turned out perfect.

Another simple bread I'm practicing is soda farls - I've made it a few times with decent success, but it hasn't turned out as well as what I've had in Belfast.

Also on the to-do list soon is Virginia apple pudding, which is so easy it shouldn't even be considered baking.
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

I've decided I want to give baking my own sourdough bread a try.

I'm a total NOOB at this, so what do I need to know? Any 'inside baseball' tips, hints, suggestions? :confused

Seems like King Arthur flour is the right stuff to start with.
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

One Ping wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:41 pm I've decided I want to give baking my own sourdough bread a try.

I'm a total NOOB at this, so what do I need to know? Any 'inside baseball' tips, hints, suggestions? :confused

Here's a starter recipe.

I use this actual bread recipe KAF Rustic Sourdough Bread with a few tweaks:

- I use KAF bread flour instead of AP flour
- Weigh your ingredients!!!
- 2 days before you want the bread, feed your starter and leave it out at room temperature overnight
- Mix just the flour, starter, and water together and let sit in the covered mixer bowl for 30 minutes (autolyse) - after that rest add the yeast/salt and knead
- Do 3 folds of the dough during the bulk rise, the first at 30 minutes and two more at 45 minute intervals
- Split the dough in two (about 1.5 lbs each) and shape them into two Banneton brotform proofing bowls
- Let the dough rise overnight in those bowls in the refrigerator (wrap with plastic wrap)
- The next day, take the dough out about 1 hour before baking so it gets to room temperature
- Preheat the oven with a cast iron dutch oven inside of it to 500F
- Use a lame to score the dough, mist it with water, then put it in the dutch oven (covered) and bake for 30 minutes
- Uncover and bake for about 5-10 minutes more - this may depend on your oven so try 3 minutes at first then adjust
- Remove and cool on a wire rack

It takes a long time but this method consistently delivers some of the best bread I've ever eaten.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

One Ping wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:41 pm I've decided I want to give baking my own sourdough bread a try.

It's rather complicated and time consuming is my take. Why not start with something simpler like making pizza dough from scratch?
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:41 pm

Here's a starter recipe.

I use this actual bread recipe KAF Rustic Sourdough Bread with a few tweaks:

. . .

It takes a long time but this method consistently delivers some of the best bread I've ever eaten.
Thanks, Elsebet!! As soon as I can get it all together I'll give it a try.
knightrider wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:40 pm It's rather complicated and time consuming is my take. Why not start with something simpler like making pizza dough from scratch?
Maybe, but on the other hand, it seems like I have more free time lately so, what the heck.
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

After reading many sourdough recipes (KAF, Bittman, Beard (who says why bother), Joy of Cooking, Pioneer Woman), I finally found one that did not require me to add any more yeast (which is the point of doing sourdough right now) and was not too complex for my simple brain.

Turned out well :)
black jack

Post by black jack »

InMyDreams wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 pm After reading many sourdough recipes (KAF, Bittman, Beard (who says why bother), Joy of Cooking, Pioneer Woman), I finally found one that did not require me to add any more yeast (which is the point of doing sourdough right now) and was not too complex for my simple brain.

And that one was?
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

black jack wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:57 pm
InMyDreams wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 pm After reading many sourdough recipes (KAF, Bittman, Beard (who says why bother), Joy of Cooking, Pioneer Woman), I finally found one that did not require me to add any more yeast (which is the point of doing sourdough right now) and was not too complex for my simple brain.

And that one was?
Please note, I do not claim it is equivalent to KAF and similar intensive efforts. Also, I tailored it to what I already had done:
https://www.nutmegnanny.com/wp-json/mv- ... s/65/print

I had already made my starter
* 1 pkt quick rising yeast (that's what I had)
* 1.5 C leftover, souring milk (microwave high x1 min, 4 min @ 30% power to sterilize it, then cooled to ~115 to keep the yeast from burning up when added)
* 1/2 C water
* 2 C bread flour
fermented x2 days. Very active - stand back. Stir often to keep in crock.

Night before
Started with Bittman: in a food processor, 1/2 the starter (turned out to be 1 C), 2C flour, and water (I think 1C). Blend until smooth

Next morning
Then I switched to the nutmegnanny recipe. added 1C more bread flour, 1C white whole wheat, not quite 1T sea salt, 1T sugar.
Knead with extra flour as needed.
Raise.
Gently turn out on surface, divided carefully, shape into two loaves without disturbing it too much, and place on greased cookie sheet.
Raise.
Spritz with water, makes gashes (I did two each)
bake @ 425 till golden brown. I put about 1T water in another pan to increase oven's humidity.

My yeast was very active (new starter, and quick rising yeast) so my raise times were very short - 1 hour the first, somewhere around 30" for the second.

I cooled one loaf...but dug into the other because nothing beats melting butter on a hot loaf.

And I fed the remaining starter to keep it going. Thing is, I don't need two loaves of bread that often. One went to the freezer.

Is anyone sharing their kitchen surplus baking with neighbors? I don't think mine want anything from family kitchens in these times.

BTW - I called my local bakery today - they're selling 1# package of instant yeast for $5. Might be simpler than sourdough starter.
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

I finally found some flour, butter, and baking powder, so I can actually do some baking!

First up was the ultimate easy comfort food: Irish Soda Bread with raisins!

It came out really nicely, and now I've got bread for the week.

Next up is probably going to be a lemon-buttermilk pound cake (gotta use the buttermilk while it's still good!)
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

Yesterday I made vegan pumpkin muffins with added chocolate chips and pecans - one of our go to “healthy” treats.

Earlier today (actually overnight) I made a slow rise “artisan” no knead spelt bread. I have two recipes for spelt bread, one slow rise and the other a quicker rise. Recently I made this with red fife flour; it had a nuttier flavor and was very good. Some experimenting with various combinations of red fife, different spelts (sprouted, whole or white) and white wheat had the following results:

Best overall flavor: slow rise artisan (overnight rise); blend of red fife, whole spelt and unbleached white wheat (equal parts), recipe (very similar in process to keinodoggy’s recipe: Sprouted Artisan Bread - One Degree Organics

Quicker results (~2 1/2 hours total): spelt bread using a blend of either sprouted spelt or whole spelt with white spelt, recipe: https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/spelt-bread

One “trick” that I learned from my dear MIL for kneaded doughs (pizza, challah, stollën, etc.) was to combine the water, salt and another ingredients (shouldn’t be many) with enough flour for a slightly runny “slurry”, stirring rapidly to get the gluten “energized”, before adding the yeast mixture and continuing onto kneading.

I typically never measure accurately. Instead I have learned to judge by the feel of the dough (kneaded or slow rise) how much flour or water is required, the dough lets me know when it’s done with kneading. For the artisan breads, I had my eye on an expensive bread cloche at WS, but in good Boglehead fashion I repurposed a set of Corning Ware covered casserole dishes, giving me some size choices!

All this discussion of bread baking brings me back to when we ground our own flour from 50 lbs bags of wheat or rye berries and used The Tassajara Bread Book extensively. I will need to branch into sourdoughs - thanks for the sources! Due to more home based activities, I am making bread about every three days.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Made bread for the first time in my life today. It was good. Got the next batch of dough sitting for tomorrow.

It's a very simple no-knead recipe from https://youtu.be/2DUPUbKoHN0 . Except I have a big Dutch oven so used 4 cups flour, 2 cups water. Also used parchment paper instead of oiling and flouring the oven.
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

My wife made Pear and Ginger Scones today - delicious.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I made these last night:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ars-recipe

In my opinion (and as I left in my review), the 510g of chocolate chips was way too much as all I taste when I eat them is chocolate and very little cookie. Next time I will use half that amount and perhaps add the other half in nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc).
koch711

Post by koch711 »

Make the DoubleTree cookies, you won't be disappointed. The freeze very well. Saved half the batch in a bag in the freezer and can just pop a couple in the oven for dessert whenever. Add about 2-3 mins to the normal baking time.
3hrs

Post by 3hrs »

Calzones, King Arthur Classic Sandwich Bread, regular and sourdough rye bread, Easter Lamb cake in my Mom's 1950's aluminum cake molds, baguettes, biscotti, and popovers. I'm lucky I can pick up flour from the nearby King Arthur store since when I've grocery shopped the past four weeks there has not been flour on the shelves.
dowse

Post by dowse »

Baked my first naturally leavened sourdough loaf yesterday. I used the method described on the King Arthur Flour website to create the starter. After a few days, the starter just erupted, doubling in size in just a few hours. I used the King Arthur recipe for naturally leavened sourdough bread. With our store-bought yeast supply dwindling and hard to find, I was motivated to try this. I had wanted to try making sourdough for a long time, but was always intimidated by the process to create the starter. I found it wasn't so bad after all. Biggest issue is constant cleanup in the kitchen from dealing with equipment used in the feedings and baking. So far, it has worked out well.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

koch711 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:38 am Make the DoubleTree cookies, you won't be disappointed. The freeze very well. Saved half the batch in a bag in the freezer and can just pop a couple in the oven for dessert whenever. Add about 2-3 mins to the normal baking time.
I also made these last week. The recipe made 2 dozen, and they are already gone :shock: We have 3 kids here at home. I also recommend freezing them. They were delicious!
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Whole wheat bread, with yeast and beer and slow cold rise, before the final bake is on. Happens to be the last thing with yeast I baked, the stores here had ran on yeast, and bare shelf's in bread counters. I still have a 6 pack of Fat Tire beer in the fridge.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
dowse

Post by dowse »

rustymutt wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:51 am Whole wheat bread, with yeast and beer and slow cold rise, before the final bake is on. Happens to be the last thing with yeast I baked, the stores here had ran on yeast, and bare shelf's in bread counters. I still have a 6 pack of Fat Tire beer in the fridge.
If you can find self-rising flour, you can make beer bread with no yeast. If you can't find self-rising flour, you can use all purpose flour (if you have that or can find it) and I think baking powder. Recipes are easily found through searching.
kacang

Post by kacang »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:41 am I make this cake regularly using my sourdough discard. It's heavenly, however it took me a few tries and tweaks to get it right.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ake-recipe
Thank you! I baked it after reading your post, this choc cake is Delicious. I followed the KAF recipe as is, except I reduced the sugar by 30% and served it with caramel bourbon sauce. My family scarfed it down, I will have to bake another one, to test if it freeze well.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

New Bread Making Machine finally arrived.
KBS Pro. Stainless.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

A newbie baker.
So will first try:
Cornbread
Gluten Free Whole Grain
Chocolate anything.

Easy Suggestions?

I have yeast in a tightly packed vacuum sealed metallic wrapper.
How do I store it once opened?

j :D
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:52 pm How do I store it once opened?
I store mine in the freezer once opened.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:56 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:52 pm How do I store it once opened?
I store mine in the freezer once opened.
Does it have to be in a special container or vacuum lock jar or something?
j
flyninjasquirrel

Post by flyninjasquirrel »

For those of you interested in naturally leavened (from a starter) sourdough, follow Full Proof Baking on Instagram (@fullproofbaking). She also has a YouTube channel. I've had much more success getting the crumb I want from her methods than from other open crumb methods a la Tartine. Also theperfectloaf.com is a great resource.
amp

Post by amp »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:52 pm New Bread Making Machine finally arrived.
KBS Pro. Stainless.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

A newbie baker.
So will first try:
Cornbread
Gluten Free Whole Grain
Chocolate anything.

Easy Suggestions?

I have yeast in a tightly packed vacuum sealed metallic wrapper.
How do I store it once opened?

Typically, cornbread doesn't use yeast. It uses baking powder as a leavener instead. Assuming that you're making a standard cornbread recipe you don't need to use a machine as there's no kneading involved.

There are yeasted cornbread recipes, but they taste different than the standard cornbread you may be accustomed to.

ETA: You can store yeast in any kind of airtight container. Jars or ziplock bags both work well.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

I baked a steak yesterday.

Alton Brown's recipe. Not bad.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Baking recipes call for vegetable oil.
What oil is the healthiest and best nutrition and easy to digest that works well for baking?

Organic Sunflower Oil ??
or other?

Thanks🌺
J🏝
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Is $21 a reasonable price for one pound of yeast on Amazon? Specifically:

Bellarise (Gold) Instant Dry Yeast - 1 LB Fast Acting Instant Yeast for Bread

I heard you can get 1lb of yeast for $5 at Sam's club. But I do not have membership there..

Also any tips on where to get cheap 10+ pound bags of whole wheat flour? There are only two grocery stores in my area. One doesn't have whole wheat flour. The other only sells it in tiny 2lb bags :oops:
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:28 pm Is $21 a reasonable price for one pound of yeast on Amazon? Specifically:

Bellarise (Gold) Instant Dry Yeast - 1 LB Fast Acting Instant Yeast for Bread

I heard you can get 1lb of yeast for $5 at Sam's club. But I do not have membership there..

Also any tips on where to get cheap 10+ pound bags of whole wheat flour? There are only two grocery stores in my area. One doesn't have whole wheat flour. The other only sells it in tiny 2lb bags :oops:
$21 is high but if you need it and it ships immediately you might think it’s worth it as yeast availability is very limited in my area. I just received a 1 lb. bag of SAF yeast from King Arthur’s for $5.95. But it took 3-4 weeks to receive it due to limited availability.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

HomeStretch wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:38 pm $21 is high but if you need it and it ships immediately you might think it’s worth it as yeast availability is very limited in my area. I just received a 1 lb. bag of SAF yeast from King Arthur’s for $5.95. But it took 3-4 weeks to receive it due to limited availability.
Good to know. I have enought for a few weeks, so maybe I will try ordering from King Arthur ( assuming shipping isn't $15 :-)

Edit: Item is temporarily unavailable.
amp

Post by amp »

knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:41 pm
HomeStretch wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:38 pm $21 is high but if you need it and it ships immediately you might think it’s worth it as yeast availability is very limited in my area. I just received a 1 lb. bag of SAF yeast from King Arthur’s for $5.95. But it took 3-4 weeks to receive it due to limited availability.
Good to know. I have enought for a few weeks, so maybe I will try ordering from King Arthur ( assuming shipping isn't $15 :-)

Others have suggested this as well, but call around to any bakeries in your neighborhood. Many are willing to sell yeast and flour to customers since they're not making as much bread as they normally would.

ETA: I was able to buy 8 ounces of yeast from Bob's Red Mill a couple of weeks ago for $6. They're out of stock at the moment, but it looks like it's intermittently available.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

My sourdough starter is on day 10, and it looks like I'm finally ready for my first loaf. I'd been using the starter discards to make pancakes, and they've been great, but I'm really looking forward to finally make my first sourdough loaf. I've been making baguettes for the last two years, so I'm a bit overdue in expanding my repertoire.

Fortunately, I stocked up on flour when it went on sale before the quarantine, so I've good a fair supply for the near future. Eventually I'll run out, though, so I'm hoping the shelves get restocked soon.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Keep checking as it’s intermittently available as recently as yesterday.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Any suggestions on what to add to basic whole wheat bread recipe to give some flavor? I have a bread machine which makes excellent 1lb loafs . It's an older machine from the 80s by Welbilt. The bread comes out nice and light but overall it lacks any flavor. Don't want to add more sugar and oil to it. Any simple spices or something I can add?

I tried adding in home-made apple sauce instead of sugar and water but I didn't taste it at all!
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:55 pm Any suggestions on what to add to basic whole wheat bread recipe to give some flavor? I have a bread machine which makes excellent 1lb loafs . It's an older machine from the 80s by Welbilt. The bread comes out nice and light but overall it lacks any flavor. Don't want to add more sugar and oil to it. Any simple spices or something I can add?

I tried adding in home-made apple sauce instead of sugar and water but I didn't taste it at all!
King Arthur recipe calls for 1/4 cup of either honey, molasses or maple syrup:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ead-recipe

The Trader Joe Everything Seasoning is a great topping. Before you bake the bread, brush it with an egg white wash then sprinkle on the TJ seasoning.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I bought 1# yeast pkg from my local bakery (which was also selling white flour). Right after I bought it, I realized my local grocery store also had it, for $2 less. Grocery store did not have the individual strips of yeast, nor was there a sign pointing to the pkg'd yeast on the top shelf.

And my neighbor's sister has an electric grinder, so i gave my neighbor a few pounds of my stored wheat. She's supposed to return it (ground into flour) shortly.
avidlearner

Post by avidlearner »

I baked some french baguette today using this recipe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2rLPq8oYCc
birdy

Post by birdy »

Here in Dallas I have not been able to find flour nor yeast and have been trying to get it for 4 weeks now. I am depending on muffin mixes and frozen cookie dough. Can I trade anyone toilet paper for some unbleached flour!!!!!?????

birdy
MJS

Post by MJS »

knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:55 pm Any suggestions on what to add to basic whole wheat bread recipe to give some flavor?
Substitute 1/2 cup of another meal or flour: rye, corn, almond, ... my favorite is buckwheat.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

birdy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:51 pm Here in Dallas I have not been able to find flour nor yeast and have been trying to get it for 4 weeks now. I am depending on muffin mixes and frozen cookie dough. Can I trade anyone toilet paper for some unbleached flour!!!!!?????
If there are any bakeries open near you, try asking if you can buy some flour. You might need to bring your own containers, as they wholesale in 50 lb bags, but they might be willing to unload some inventory to you.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

MJS wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:52 pm
knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:55 pm Any suggestions on what to add to basic whole wheat bread recipe to give some flavor?
Substitute 1/2 cup of another meal or flour: rye, corn, almond, ... my favorite is buckwheat.
Interesting tip. Do meals like cornmeal actually become part of the dough and react with the yeast? Or do they just add some texture/flavor?