What have you baked recently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Abel

Re: What have you baked recently?

Post by Abel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 am

For a couple years I was making 100% whole rye with rye kernels - like those dense bricks of "health" bread at Whole Foods. Very nut-like and spreading butter on them was just superfluous.

Then this year something in my digestion changed and I've had to go with much lighter rye blends to avoid GI distress. The bonus is I can make them on a stone and get that lovely artisanal crust now.

pondering

Post by pondering » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:58 pm
Hillview wrote: This chocolate sour cream bundt cake is also a family favorite
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipe ... bundt-cake
Yikes! There's a firewall to the recipe :annoyed

Is this the same version?
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cho ... ted-434968
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds fresh sweet cherries, pitted and halved
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, plus 1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces)
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
2/3 cup (4 2/3 ounces) plus 2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Directions:

We prefer whole milk in this recipe, but 1 or 2 percent low-fat milk may be substituted. Do not substitute frozen cherries for the fresh cherries.

1. Adjust oven racks to lowest and upper-middle positions; place 12-inch skillet on lower rack and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place cherries, cut side up, on sheet. Roast cherries on upper rack until just tender and cut sides look dry, about 15 minutes. Transfer cherries to medium bowl, toss with lemon juice, and let cool for 5 minutes. Combine 2 teaspoons flour and cinnamon in small bowl; dust flour mixture evenly over cherries and toss to coat thoroughly.

2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt in large bowl until smooth and pale, about 1 minute. Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and milk until incorporated.

3. Remove skillet (skillet handle will be hot) from oven and set on wire rack. Add butter and swirl to coat bottom and sides of skillet (butter will melt and brown quickly). Pour batter into skillet and arrange cherries evenly on top (some will sink). Transfer skillet to lower rack and bake until clafouti puffs and turns golden brown (edges will be dark brown) and center registers 195 degrees, 18 to 22 minutes, rotating skillet halfway through baking. Transfer skillet to wire rack and let cool for 25 minutes. Sprinkle clafouti evenly with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Slice into wedges and serve.

4. Adjust oven racks to lowest and upper-middle positions; place 12-inch skillet on lower rack and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place cherries, cut side up, on sheet. Roast cherries on upper rack until just tender and cut sides look dry, about 15 minutes. Transfer cherries to medium bowl, toss with lemon juice, and let cool for 5 minutes. Combine 2 teaspoons flour and cinnamon in small bowl; dust flour mixture evenly over cherries and toss to coat thoroughly.

5. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt in large bowl until smooth and pale, about 1 minute. Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and milk until incorporated.

6. Remove skillet (skillet handle will be hot) from oven and set on wire rack. Add butter and swirl to coat bottom and sides of skillet (butter will melt and brown quickly). Pour batter into skillet and arrange cherries evenly on top (some will sink). Transfer skillet to lower rack and bake until clafouti puffs and turns golden brown (edges will be dark brown) and center registers 195 degrees, 18 to 22 minutes, rotating skillet halfway through baking. Transfer skillet to wire rack and let cool for 25 minutes. Sprinkle clafouti evenly with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Slice into wedges and serve.

7. Adjust oven racks to lowest and upper-middle positions; place 12-inch skillet on lower rack and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place cherries, cut side up, on sheet. Roast cherries on upper rack until just tender and cut sides look dry, about 15 minutes. Transfer cherries to medium bowl, toss with lemon juice, and let cool for 5 minutes. Combine 2 teaspoons flour and cinnamon in small bowl; dust flour mixture evenly over cherries and toss to coat thoroughly.

8. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt in large bowl until smooth and pale, about 1 minute. Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and milk until incorporated.

9. Remove skillet (skillet handle will be hot) from oven and set on wire rack. Add butter and swirl to coat bottom and sides of skillet (butter will melt and brown quickly). Pour batter into skillet and arrange cherries evenly on top (some will sink). Transfer skillet to lower rack and bake until clafouti puffs and turns golden brown (edges will be dark brown) and center registers 195 degrees, 18 to 22 minutes, rotating skillet halfway through baking. Transfer skillet to wire rack and let cool for 25 minutes. Sprinkle clafouti evenly with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Slice into wedges and serve.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

jpsc

Post by jpsc » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:39 am

does it count if I bake a pastrami from a slab of corned beef ? :-)

Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 am

jpsc wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:39 am
does it count if I bake a pastrami from a slab of corned beef ? :-)
Yes. That sounds great to me! Definitely counts...

Would go well with the Guinness Brown Bread we recently made using Ina Garten's recipe from Food Network. Best bread of it's type that we've made to go with corned beef and cabbage (although we used a bottle of Stone brewing Coffee milk stout in my beer fridge instead of Guinness, as we only had Guinness cans using Nitrogen, not the carbonated version and didn't know how that would work). Will definitely make again soon - was fantastic for toast. Very moist, like a hybrid between yeast bread and a pound cake.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina ... ad-4718331

MrMojoRisin

Post by MrMojoRisin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:52 am
MrMojoRisin wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:41 pm
My aunt makes a great "German's Chocolate Cake" so I asked for her recipe. The taste was fine but the texture was not as substantial as what she makes. However I did toast the flaked coconut before using it in the frosting and that was a great improvement.
Ask her what brand and type of flour she uses and make sure you use the same.
I did.....she uses just unbleached all purpose flour. I think my problem was when I folded the eggs whites into the mix.....I should have whipped them more, added a pinch of tartar and not folded them into the batter so much. I think that is where I lost my volume.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:06 pm

MrMojoRisin wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:42 pm

I did.....she uses just unbleached all purpose flour. I think my problem was when I folded the eggs whites into the mix.....I should have whipped them more, added a pinch of tartar and not folded them into the batter so much. I think that is where I lost my volume.
Could even be the eggs themselves, who knows!

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:12 am

I just wolfed down the last of a loaf of banana bread. I have used the recipe from Cooking for Engineers for over a decade and I love it! This loaf I accidentally set the oven to 250* F instead of my usual 350*, and it was even softer and more scrumptious than usual.
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:00 pm

MrMojoRisin wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Make sure your eggs are at room temperature when you whip them and be sure there is no fat or yolk in the whites at all.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:10 pm

This weekend I baked:

KAF - Sourdough Crackers - I make these often with my weekly sourdough discard. This time I tried baking them on a baking stone and most of my first batch burned. I need to reduce the time they are in the often from 25-30 minutes to about 15 minutes, they crisped up a lot more evenly on the stone rather than a baking sheet.

Joy of Baking - Swiss Roll - first time making a swiss roll and first time making a (sort-of) Genoise sponge. Really enjoyed baking it. Instead of jam I crushed up some macadamia nuts and added those into the whipped cream. My co-workers seem to like it so far. I want to try a chocolate one next week.

KAF Old Fashioned Crumb Coffeecake - my husband was craving one of those TastyCake coffee cakes so I looked around for recipes. In the KAF Baker's companion book I got from the library I found this one and it is really good. I tried out my new ring pan for the first time with it. I could not find the exact recipe on KAF's website but it is in their baking cookbook. Very rich, delicious cake and topping, will definitely be making this again.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:06 am
keinodoggy wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:40 am
ER2023 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:34 pm
keinodoggy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 pm
I've been baking no-knead artisan bread in my dutch oven for a few years now. Nothing smells or tastes as good as home made bread.
Keinodoggy, would you mind sharing the recipe? That bread looks incredible!
Start with this youtube video and tweek it to fit your needs. This is where I started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1CKVcXe06A&t=510s
I used to bake my own bread but haven't done so far a long time. You don't have to knead bread? I never knew, as every recipe I've seen to date always required a mixer (dough hook in my case).

Thanks for the youtube video. Clicking on "Show More" leads to this website: No-Knead Bread Central which has a number of tutorials, including a history of No-Knead Bread.
Success! I have a real Dutch oven with a glass lid, so I followed this youtube video: Ultimate Introduction to No-Knead Bread (4 Ingredients... No Yeast Proofing... No Mixer)

The only thing I might do differently is coat the dough with flour while it remains in the glass bowl. Also, let the bread cool on the wire rack for at least 15 minutes after it's done.

Caveat: The oven cooking temperature is 450 deg F. Be sure to check the maximum rated temperature for your Dutch Oven, as glass lids, enamel coatings, or plastic handles can exceed the maximum rating. See: max temperature dutch oven lid - Google Search My Scanpan is rated to 500 deg F with the glass lid.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Just made a pumpkin pie in a 10”x2 1/2” tort/pie ceramic pie dish....Wonderful and so thick...

SeeMoe.. :o
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}

1995Roadmaster

Post by 1995Roadmaster » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:21 pm

A frittata with broccoli, onion, sausage & cheese.
Delicious.

radioheadt

Post by radioheadt » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 pm

rosylenm wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:41 pm
Hillview wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:59 pm
rosylenm wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:01 am
Granola.

Much cheaper than buying from the bulk bin at the grocery store. And it uses up all the random cupboard/freezer/fridge items.
recipe please?
5 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chia seed
(original recipe called for 1 cup wheat germ, but mine had gone rancid and 1 cup flaked coconut, but I didn’t have any)
1/2 - 1 cup toasted almonds, chopped (eyeballed, did not measure; original recipe uses raw almonds and added after baking)

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used olive)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 - 1 cup dried cranberries (also eyeballed; original recipe uses raisins)

Preheat oven to 325.

Mix first bunch of ingredients in large bowl. Stir in second bunch. Spread evenly onto large rimmed baking sheet and into oven. Stir every fifteen minutes for about an hour until golden brown and crispy. Add cranberries.

It’s not the clumpy kind of granola, it’s pretty loose. But you can make it however you want it.

This granola recipe by Alton Brown was my go-to recipe that I ate for breakfast every day for years before work and that has been requested by friends and family often. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alt ... pe-1939521
I would double the recipe and store in a gallon size heavy duty plastic bag. I would typically substitute pecans for the cashews. It also works perfectly well without the extra 2 Tbsp of dark brown sugar and maple syrup specified in the recipe. It's just not that precise.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:43 pm

This weekend I made:

Crusty Italian Bread - I add an autolyse of 30 minutes and bake the bread on a baking stone. I also add a cookie pan underneath and add a little water to the hot pan to create steam. Still not as satisfied with this loaf as I am my sourdough baked in the cast iron dutch oven. I served the bread with Baked Ziti.

Raspberry Cream Cheese Braid - fun to make, haven't tried it yet though. Smells delicious.

Chocolate Chip Cookies - I also make the same recipe with macadamia nuts & white chocolate, or hazlenuts and chocolate. Yum! My husband loves the recipe as written and that's how I made them this weekend.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:43 pm
This weekend I made:

Crusty Italian Bread - I add an autolyse of 30 minutes and bake the bread on a baking stone. I also add a cookie pan underneath and add a little water to the hot pan to create steam. Still not as satisfied with this loaf as I am my sourdough baked in the cast iron dutch oven. I served the bread with Baked Ziti.
Thanks for your review, as it helps me justify sticking with my no-knead method with a dutch oven. My next attempt will either be Italian or sourdough.

I've got a video lined up for Italian: No-Knead Italian Sesame Seed Bread… baked 4 ways (super easy… no machines) - YouTube

Does your sourdough recipe use the "no-knead" technique?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:21 pm

KSOC wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 pm
Shoo Fly Pie & Raisin Pie. Hard to come by where I live.
I'm glad to see you make your own. For others who don't know how,, don't want to, or can't get one where they live, they can order what's arguably the best shoo fly pie in the world from Dutch Haven:

http://dutchhaven.com/store/proddetail. ... IE-SHOOFLY

I've tried lots and I think they're the best.

Oh, and we did apple cinnamon bread from scratch last week.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Cycle wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 pm
Chicken thighs with Chipotle seasoning. I try to avoid grains and added sugar as it is not agreeable with most humans.
Care to share a recipe for baking those chicken thighs?

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:24 am

radioheadt wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 pm
rosylenm wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:41 pm
Hillview wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:59 pm
rosylenm wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:01 am
Granola.

Much cheaper than buying from the bulk bin at the grocery store. And it uses up all the random cupboard/freezer/fridge items.
recipe please?
5 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chia seed
(original recipe called for 1 cup wheat germ, but mine had gone rancid and 1 cup flaked coconut, but I didn’t have any)
1/2 - 1 cup toasted almonds, chopped (eyeballed, did not measure; original recipe uses raw almonds and added after baking)

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used olive)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 - 1 cup dried cranberries (also eyeballed; original recipe uses raisins)

Preheat oven to 325.

Mix first bunch of ingredients in large bowl. Stir in second bunch. Spread evenly onto large rimmed baking sheet and into oven. Stir every fifteen minutes for about an hour until golden brown and crispy. Add cranberries.

It’s not the clumpy kind of granola, it’s pretty loose. But you can make it however you want it.

This granola recipe by Alton Brown was my go-to recipe that I ate for breakfast every day for years before work and that has been requested by friends and family often. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alt ... pe-1939521
I would double the recipe and store in a gallon size heavy duty plastic bag. I would typically substitute pecans for the cashews. It also works perfectly well without the extra 2 Tbsp of dark brown sugar and maple syrup specified in the recipe. It's just not that precise.
I will have to try this sans the maple syrup. I don’t like maple syrup except on pancakes.

Taz

Post by Taz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:19 am

Elsebet wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm
I also make my own pizza/calzone dough, I'm interested in how other people make it.

For normal crust pizza/calzones:

21.25 oz AP flour (1 lb 5 1/4 oz)
1/4 cup olive oil
1.5 tsp salt
1 packet yeast (~2.25 oz)
Enough warm (105-110 degree-ish) water to make a supple dough, I add water slowly and let the machine knead it between additions

If I'm making deep dish pizza, to the above I add:

5 tbsp butter
3 tbsp cornmeal

I do a single bulk fermentation then I proof the dough in the refrigerator overnight and bake the pizza/calzones the next day. I bake regular pizza/calzones on a pizza stone but for deep dish I use a large deep round pizza pan and build it upside down: cheese on the bottom and pressed into the crust, then sauce, then veggies, and more cheese!
Elsbeth,

My wife usually makes a very large stuffed style pizza (we went to college north of Chicago). We'll try adding butter to see if it has more of a Carmen/Edwardo/Giordano's crust texture.

Pizza Crust
1 ½ cups warm water
1 package ( or 2 ¼ tsp.) yeast
½ cup olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup corn meal
4 ½ to 5 cups flour (bread or all-purpose, can also be part whole wheat)
The destination matters.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:44 am

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:21 pm
KSOC wrote:
I'm glad to see you make your own. For others who don't know how,, don't want to, or can't get one where they live, they can order what's arguably the best shoo fly pie in the world from Dutch Haven:

arcticpineapplecorp., I've been to Dutch Haven but such a long time ago. I hope to get up that way this summer so I'll try to get one. Same county I grew up in. My Mother was a wonderful pie baker. She was a PA Dutch farm girl. We were far from rich but no family ate better than us! I know of two places in Florida I can buy Shoo Fly. 1 fresh & 1 frozen. It's always fun here in Florida to watch folks faces who try Shoo Fly Pie & Sweet Lebanon Bologna for the first time. Mixed reactions to both.
Too soon old, too late smart.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 am

KSOC wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:44 am
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:21 pm
KSOC wrote:

arcticpineapplecorp., I've been to Dutch Haven but such a long time ago. I hope to get up that way this summer so I'll try to get one. Same county I grew up in. My Mother was a wonderful pie baker. She was a PA Dutch farm girl. We were far from rich but no family ate better than us! I know of two places in Florida I can buy Shoo Fly. 1 fresh & 1 frozen. It's always fun here in Florida to watch folks faces who try Shoo Fly Pie & Sweet Lebanon Bologna for the first time. Mixed reactions to both.
that's great. yeah, lebanon bologna is an acquired taste. The locals love it!
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:53 pm
Cycle wrote:
Chicken thighs with Chipotle seasoning. I try to avoid grains and added sugar as it is not agreeable with most humans.
Penzy's Chipotle Seasoning, Cayanne pepper, Salt, Ground Black Pepper both sides. Bake @375 until 170ºF in the center. Grilled and slow cooker versions of this work, but are not preferred IMO.

Pairs well with brussel sprouts (or asparagus) roasted in butter and avocado oil with salt and dried dill seasoning. Desert usually a bowl of black berries (blue, black, and raspberry).

Not a fancy meal, but extremely easy to whip up in no time with minimal effort.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:19 am

Cycle wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:53 pm
Cycle wrote:
Penzy's Chipotle Seasoning, Cayanne pepper, Salt, Ground Black Pepper both sides. Bake @375 until 170ºF in the center. Grilled and slow cooker versions of this work, but are not preferred IMO.

Pairs well with brussel sprouts (or asparagus) roasted in butter and avocado oil with salt and dried dill seasoning. Desert usually a bowl of black berries (blue, black, and raspberry).

Not a fancy meal, but extremely easy to whip up in no time with minimal effort.
Wow!
I am a clueless cook. This is amazing!
Also eat healthy. . . DW cooks.
Do I put the chicken in a baking dish with a lid on it?
Love brussel sprouts and asparagus. Do I put that in baking dish with the chicken?
mahalo,
jim

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:36 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:19 am
Wow!
I am a clueless cook. This is amazing!
Also eat healthy. . . DW cooks.
Do I put the chicken in a baking dish with a lid on it?
Love brussel sprouts and asparagus. Do I put that in baking dish with the chicken?
mahalo,
jim
If I'm not in a rush I'll cook the thighs in a glass baking dish, typically 8 at a time and use that protein/fat for multiple meals during the week. If I'm in a rush I will cook them on aluminum foil so I don't need to wash a dish.

For the sprouts / asparagus I typically cook these at a much higher temp 425 and cook them on aluminum foil to save cleanup. Depending on their size and who they are for I'll usually halve or quarter them. Chicken flavored vegetables aren't my thing so I don't cook them in the chicken fat, though I've tried it several times. Usually cooked in some combination of butter and olive/avo/coconut oil.

ER2023

Post by ER2023 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Just wanted to follow up with this thread and thank the OP! I cannot believe I have been missing the most delicious - and EASY - homemade bread. We live in the Northeast with access to some outstanding bakeries, so never really thought about making our own (plus thought we never had the time). However, we tried several on this thread and also found https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/no-knead-bread/ and can't believe how simple and incredibly delicious they are! We also froze a loaf in case we need in a pinch.

There is nothing like having warm, fresh bread right out of your oven. You are right, we will never buy bread again!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Same here. I would have never believed how easy this was. Building on the confidence from my last post, I currently have in the oven a No-Knead Italian Sesame Seed Bread, using a Dutch oven.

I also just prepared the dough for: No-Knead Mediterranean Olive Bread and will cook it tomorrow morning. It was amazingly easy to do.

I found comments saying that you can use the same recipe for different cooking techniques. The Mediterranean Olive bread was demonstrated using a clay pot. I'm using a Dutch oven and will follow the cooking instructions for that.

Modification: I didn't have any lemon zest, so I substituted 1 teaspoon of lemon extract. Since this is a liquid, I mixed the lemon extract with the water before pouring it over the flour.

I was also out of kalamata olives and just used green and black olives (what I had on-hand).

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Elsebet wrote:
I also make my own pizza/calzone dough, I'm interested in how other people make it.
I had awful pizza dough for years using any recipe, to the point I had given up, but then recently this worked quite well:
https://altonbrown.com/pizza-dough-recipe/

24 hours rising in the refrigerator makes the handling, texture, and taste far superior to anything made the same day.
I don't have a stand mixer so I kneeded it by hand.
"A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness." -- Albert Einstein, just before he won the Nobel Prize.

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:02 pm

[Post containing nothing but random numbers removed by admin LadyGeek]
Was it at least tasty? :D

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:20 pm

rosylenm wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:02 pm
[Post containing nothing but random numbers removed by admin LadyGeek]
Was it at least tasty? :D
can someone please explain what [this post --admin LadyGeek] is supposed to be? Not all of us speak machine language here. Thanks. If I get no explanation, I'd have to say this post is half-baked.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:05 pm

tooluser wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm
Elsebet wrote:
I had awful pizza dough for years using any recipe, to the point I had given up, but then recently this worked quite well:
https://altonbrown.com/pizza-dough-recipe/

24 hours rising in the refrigerator makes the handling, texture, and taste far superior to anything made the same day.
I don't have a stand mixer so I kneeded it by hand.
I use Roberta's Pizza Dough Recipe from the NY Times:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... izza-dough

The 00 flour is the trick. I buy it from an Italian grocery store in town, although there are sellers of it on Amazon.

I also make it 24 hours in advance and put it in the frig.

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:59 am

Baked pan de sal and ensemada (Filipino breads) this past week.

Messed up the pan de sal which turned out like dense hockey pucks because I didn’t let them rise three times (started batch too late in the day and didn’t want to wait for full second and third rises). Am redoing another batch today because I didn’t get fluffy bread craving satisfied. Can’t wait for a proper cheese and calamansi marmalade sandwich.

Ensemada, I subbed coconut milk for evaporated milk which made them a little flatter but more delicate than usual.

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Tzimmes

Minot

Post by Minot » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Moussaka.

black jack

Post by black jack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:31 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:59 pm
Same here. I would have never believed how easy this was...
I found comments saying that you can use the same recipe for different cooking techniques. The Mediterranean Olive bread was demonstrated using a clay pot. I'm using a Dutch oven and will follow the cooking instructions for that.
Recipe books tend to make bread making more complicated than it needs to be. People have been baking bread for millenia, before there were precise measuring instruments, precise-temperature ovens, fancy baking devices, etc.

I bake most of my no-knead loaves in a pullman loaf pan; I bought a 9"x4" pan because it fits into my toaster oven, which I use instead of my full-sized oven for most of my baking. I use a version of a recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, appropriately sized to this loaf pan (470 grams water, 18 grams salt, 150 grams white whole wheat flour and 450 grams all purpose flour), but with 1/4 teaspoon of yeast (a la Jim Lahey's slow-rise approach). I usually mix it in the evening, let it rise overnight, dump it into the pullman loaf pan in the morning, let it rise again during the day while I'm at work, put it in the toaster oven for an hour at 350 degrees in the evening. Smells great, tastes great.

Other times, instead of using the pullman loaf pan, I'll throw in some Italian herb seasonings, dump the dough onto a cookie sheet/sheet pan or maybe into a cake pan, let it rise for a while or not, depending on my circumstances, then stick that in the oven. Or stretch that out, put some sauce and cheese on it, and call it a pizza.

Most recipes recommend baking at 450; my friend bakes his bread at 450 and his turns out similar to mine baked at 350. Most recipes recommend preheating the oven; this, I've read, is cookbook boilerplate for any recipe in order to ensure consistent cooking times and to avoid the disasters than can arise from variations in oven design (according to one article, most ovens heat up gradually, but some fancy ovens start up using very high heat for the first little while in order to reach the desired temperature more quickly). Some recipes recommend preheating the baking container before dumping the dough in; sounds to me like a good way to burn oneself, and I've never done a side-by-side comparison to see if it makes any difference.

For those who haven't taken the plunge and would like to try baking their own bread, relax and give it a go.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 pm

^^^ I would agree. My Mediterranean Olive Bread turned out to be under-done after following the recommended cooking time. The crust wasn't quite there and the inside contained too much moisture, which is probably due to the fresh olives.

What to do? The can't fail no matter what technique which will reheat anything - 350 deg F for 10 minutes.

I put the bread into the toaster oven as-is, with no pan and no pre-heating. Worked like a champ.
LadyGeek wrote:
...I also just prepared the dough for: No-Knead Mediterranean Olive Bread and will cook it tomorrow morning. It was amazingly easy to do.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:43 pm

black jack wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:31 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Same here. I would have never believed how easy this was...
Recipe books tend to make bread making more complicated than it needs to be. People have been baking bread for millenia, before there were precise measuring instruments, precise-temperature ovens, fancy baking devices, etc.
For those who haven't taken the plunge and would like to try baking their own bread, relax and give it a go.
Words of wisdom fer sure. Recipe books do make bread-baking much harder than it should be. I learned to bake bread from an old Betty Crocker Cookbook that instructed that no less than four raisings and multiple kneadings were essential to make a loaf of bread. Wish I had learned years ago that all that fuss wasn't necessary.

For no-knead bread I don't even bother forming the raised dough into loaves. I just dump the entire contents of the mixing bowl into a hot dutch oven and bake it.

These recipes are very forgiving too. You don't need to measure the ingredients precisely. Our forbearers did not use measuring cups. I know my grandmother never used such a thing.

Watched several of the no-knead bread tutorials by Steve of the Mediterranean Olive Bread video. They're very good!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Hillview wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:
Hillview wrote: This chocolate sour cream bundt cake is also a family favorite
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipe ... bundt-cake
Yikes! There's a firewall to the recipe :annoyed
Is this the same version?
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cho ... ted-434968
Yes sorry for the pay wall!!
Here's my old stand-by version of the famous Sour Cream Bundt Cake - easier, quicker, instant gratification, serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream :mrgreen: Delicious way to ensure your family loves you and to make friends and influence your co-workers.

Easy Sour Cream Bundt Cake
1 pkg (18 oz) Duncan Hines Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix
1 pkg (6 oz) Jello Instant Chocolate Pudding & Pie Filling
1 cup sour cream
1 cup oil
4 beaten eggs
1/2 cup warm water
1 pkg (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients together in large bowl, adding the chocolate chips last saving about 1/4 of the chips for the top. Pour batter into greased Bundt pan or angel food cake pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top. Bake 350 about 50 min. Do not over-bake. Cool 15 minutes. Turn out on platter. Eat.

Topping - quite frankly, don't waste your time making a topping because the cake will be eaten and gone before the topping is done, especially if served warm with ice cream :D
But - for company or to impress your co-workers - it looks nice sprinkled with powdered sugar, or drizzled with a chocolate glaze.

Glaze - (note - I only made this once, cannot vouch for it :wink:
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 Tbs (3/4 stick) butter
2 tsp light corn syrup
1 tsp water

In double boiler over hot water, gently melt chocolate chips & butter. Remove from heat, stir in syrup & water. Pour or spoon glaze over cake. If too runny, wait a minute for it to stiffen as it cools.

:D

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am

I made two yeast breads this weekend:

KAF Pane Bianco - good but just didn't have a "wow" factor for me, maybe I didn't add enough basil or garlic. I felt like something was missing in the flavor.

KAF Chocolate Babka - Fist time making this and I don't think I braided the two halves together enough, I just made one twist because I was scared that the filling would start falling out more. After baking almost all the filling was in the middle of the bread so the two ends were bland. I think I also let the first rise go too long because it didn't want to rise much after shaping. I will have to try this again as it's obviously a case of baker error. :)

seashell

Post by seashell » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:57 pm

I baked steel cut oat bars. Very nice for breakfast sitting down or on the run.

Steel cut oats soaked over night with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts, cranberries, etc.
Highly recommend.

Caligal

Post by Caligal » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:09 am

Hi Elsebet

Please have a look at these babka recipes - the KAF version is rather anemic compared to what babka should look like. I am enjoying your posts and have been inspired to try the dutch oven breads!

Happy baking!
Caligal

This first one is a blogger's take on a great Martha Stewart recipe - with good photos to illustrate how to achieve all the layers -

https://bakerbynature.com/chocolate-babka/

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chocolate-babka

http://www.7x7.com/secret-recipe-wise-s ... 82728.html#

Moolala

Post by Moolala » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:32 am

I'm about to bake a chocolate cake! I'm tempted by those sour cream bundt cake recipes above but might go with one of my old favorites: a wedding cake recipe I picked up and enhanced during my food service days. Two surprise ingredients: pumpkin puree and coffee. (You'd never know!)

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:33 pm

keinodoggy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 pm
I've been baking no-knead artisan bread in my dutch oven for a few years now. Nothing smells or tastes as good as home made bread.
I think I know the exact recipe you used. There's a sack of new bread flour sitting on my counter just waiting for this. Super easy, delicious, and smells amazing!
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

gretah

Post by gretah » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:19 pm

I recently made a chocolate almond flourless cake with Grand Marnier icing served with Mandarin orange segments.

Lemon ideas:
Lemon season here is short, so I juice a bunch at a time and freeze the juice in ice cube trays. Once frozen, I remove to small baggies and thaw cubes as needed.

Hollandaise sauce

Preserved lemons for Persian recipes

Lemonade made with fizzy water

Zest of lemons using a microplane (fast & easy) and freeze in little baggies.

Lemon peel strips made with cocktail tool. Use in drinks, as garnish over sauces (savory), and desserts.

Lemon curd with -
Gingerbread made with fresh ginger
Shortbread cookies
Blueberries
Cheesecake
Crepes, Pancakes

Fun thread. Thanks, OP!

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:30 pm

I made sourdough pancakes on Sunday. I got some starter from a friend a week or so ago and "fed" it for a few days until it bubbled and smelled sour. So yummy! Here is my recipe:

Mix 1 cup starter, 1 cup flour, 1 egg, 2 T. veg oil, 1/2 cup milk.
Blend in 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp soda, 2 T. sugar.
Let mixture bubble and foam for a minute, then drop spoonfuls onto a hot griddle.
When bubbles appear on the surface, turn and cook a few more seconds.
Serve with maple syrup and butter.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Tue May 01, 2018 1:39 am

Cherry Cobbler:

Make pie crust using Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook "Pate Brisee" recipe, one layer, roll out, place in Pyrex glass pie dish or similar, press crust layer to it the dish, then press aluminum foil over it, fill with ceramic pie weights (can also use dry beans over and over), bake 30 minutes or so at 375 degrees, then remove, remove pie weights and foil, add one or two cans dark cherry pie filling (pay more and get it without high fructose corn syrup), place back i oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool on a rack for an hour or so, cut with a sharp knife, make sure you are cutting through the bottom crust.

The reason to bake the bottom crust first with the weight is to bake the crust first and avoid a soggy bottom crust.Can do the same thing for other open pies, such as key lime, chocolate, other cobblers. A great bottom crust without overbaking the filling.

If you want it as a "pie" can add lattice top crust or full top crust, but I am lazy and also to save calories, I just do the cobbler. Also because I am going to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

This is an occasional treat or else I would have to run more miles, and I prefer a mile daily walk or jog :happy

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed May 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Last weekend I made these because I was bored of the usual white chocolate/macadamia nut combination:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ars-recipe

They were gone within 1 day at the office and were scrumptious. Next time I will either chop the macadamia nuts up a bit or use a smaller nut like cashews/peanuts because the whole nuts overwhelmed the bar. I also may try doubling the crust, it was overwhelmed by the topping. However these are very delicious as-is. I would strongly recommend using a digital thermomether to check for the 235F filling temperature and not go by the 10 minute time in the recipe, it took my filling 25 minutes to get to the correct temperature. It's critical to hit 235F for the filling to set correctly. Also, use parchment paper to line your pan!

galectin

Post by galectin » Wed May 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Scones

My wife always looked for them on the day-old section at the grocery. I found a number of recipes that are quite similar on Pinterest (I committed to help with meals when I retired. My wife and her friends are quit amused that I have my own Pinterest account for recipes.). I have been using a single dough mix with different flavorings:

-------------------------------------
BASIC DOUGH MIX

2 cups baking flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

1/2 cup butter (cold, put in the freezer for ~30 min.)

1/2 cup milk
1 large egg

Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
Grate the butter into this and mix to form a cookie-like dough.

Combine the milk and egg and mix it into the dough until blended.
Form the dough into a rectangle on a flour-covered cutting board and cut into smaller triangle-shapes.

Bake at 400 deg. for ~15 min. on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
--------------------------------------------
FLAVORING

For orange scones add the zest of the peel of two oranges into the milk/eggs.

For blueberry scones add ~1 cup of frozen blueberries to the final mix before forming the individual scones.

For lemon scones add the zest of the peel of a lemon into the milk/eggs and add 2 tablespoons of lemon extract.

You could use other fruits and make combinations (orange-cranberry, using craisins, and lemon-blueberry) as well. Also, you can buy dried orange and lemon zest as well.

Some Pinterest recipes make icing, too.

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:29 pm

galectin, what kind of flour do you use for your "baking" flour, plain flour or cake flour? Your scones sound easy to make.

galectin

Post by galectin » Wed May 02, 2018 11:50 pm

mfswatz9 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:29 pm
galectin, what kind of flour do you use for your "baking" flour, plain flour or cake flour? Your scones sound easy to make.
Unbleached all-purpose flour.

Yes, they are easy to make. And tasty. They were a big hit with my wife.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri May 04, 2018 1:16 pm

black jack wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:31 pm
...I bake most of my no-knead loaves in a pullman loaf pan; I bought a 9"x4" pan because it fits into my toaster oven, which I use instead of my full-sized oven for most of my baking. I use a version of a recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, appropriately sized to this loaf pan (470 grams water, 18 grams salt, 150 grams white whole wheat flour and 450 grams all purpose flour), but with 1/4 teaspoon of yeast (a la Jim Lahey's slow-rise approach). I usually mix it in the evening, let it rise overnight, dump it into the pullman loaf pan in the morning, let it rise again during the day while I'm at work, put it in the toaster oven for an hour at 350 degrees in the evening. Smells great, tastes great...
I bought a 9" x 4" x 4" Pullman loaf pan to bake bread in my toaster oven. For my first attempt, I used your recipe.

There is no problem to use metric, but I wanted to be sure on converting between weight (grams) and volume (cups). The density of the flour can change the results. To confirm the conversion, I went to a trusted source: Absolutely No-Knead Crusty-Chewy Bread Recipe | King Arthur Flour. The recipe is provided in Volume (US), ounces, and grams.

600 g flour (150 g whole wheat + 450 g all purpose) is 5 Cups. Water, salt, and yeast were OK. I checked a few other recipes to be sure the quantities aligned. What could possibly go wrong?

After letting the dough rise over night, I dumped the dough into the loaf pan for the 2nd rise. The dough didn't fill the pan, so I put the lid on to keep it from drying out. So far, so good.

I checked on it 1/2 hour later and the dough was oozing out of the pan. :shock: I removed the lid and let the dough finish rising for a total of 2 hours. The pan was on a plastic cutting board, so I wasn't worried about the overflow.

After skimming off the excess dough, I baked the bread for 50 minutes at 350 deg F in my toaster oven (lid on). The bread didn't seem quite done, but the top crust was very dark brown and I couldn't leave it in any longer. Something didn't seem right.

There was enough leftover dough to fill 1/4 of the loaf pan. I baked the leftover dough for 30 minutes, but this time I monitored the temperature with my thermocouple meter probe. The toaster oven temperature was 50 deg F too low, which explains why the bread was under-cooked.

It is very difficult to mess up a bread recipe. Although the bread was undercooked, it still turned out OK.

What is the quantity of ingredients you used ("appropriately sized to this loaf pan")? Searching further, I think the flour should be closer to 3 Cups (360 g) total.