Thunderbird Malfunction

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sport

Thunderbird Malfunction

Post by sport » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 pm

I have been using Thunderbird for my email for the last 8 years or so. It has performed flawlessly and I have been very happy with it. Lately, it shows that it is connected to the web site where my email arrives, but it does not send the password and the download does not take place. When this happens, I can close Thunderbird and reopen it (sometimes it takes multiple reopenings) and then it works for a time. Then the same thing happens again, over and over. I have reloaded a new copy of Thunderbird (after backing up the original), but the problem persists. Does anyone have any suggestions?

CFIT

Re: Thunderbird Malfunction

Post by CFIT » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:38 pm

In Thunderbird ( 52.6.0) the bottom panel in my screen shows status in the left corner. When I hit the "Get Messages" button in T-bird that are shows things like "me@myhost.com" logging in, checking for mail, etc. Do you have that status panel and what does it say when you try to get messages?

When this happens, are you able to use a web browser to login to your email?

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:24 pm

It might help if you disclosed what email domain and OS you are using.
Although it is apparently untrue that Thunderbird will be unsupported, I think I've had some trouble with gmail. Google says Thunderbird is not a secure application or something. I've had to set gmail to allow Tbird to access email. You might check and see if your email provider offers instructions on how to set up Thunderbird, or at least an IMAP client and check your settings.

You could try making a new user profile, installing Thunderbird, and see what happens. It's possible something in your profile has gotten corrupt.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 pm

CFIT wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:38 pm
In Thunderbird ( 52.6.0) the bottom panel in my screen shows status in the left corner. When I hit the "Get Messages" button in T-bird that are shows things like "me@myhost.com" logging in, checking for mail, etc. Do you have that status panel and what does it say when you try to get messages?

When this happens, are you able to use a web browser to login to your email?
The status panel says "connected to incoming AT&T" Yes, if I go to the AT&T yahoo mail, my mail is there.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:51 pm

DiamondplateDave wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:24 pm
Although it is apparently untrue that Thunderbird will be unsupported, I think I've had some trouble with gmail. Google says Thunderbird is not a secure application or something. I've had to set gmail to allow Tbird to access email. You might check and see if your email provider offers instructions on how to set up Thunderbird, or at least an IMAP client and check your settings.

You could try making a new user profile, installing Thunderbird, and see what happens. It's possible something in your profile has gotten corrupt.
The email is AT&T Yahoo mail. My computer is using Windows 7 Home Premium. My settings at AT&T appear to be correct because TB operates sometimes, but then it stops. If I restart TB a few times, it starts working again, and then it stops at some random time later.

CFIT

Post by CFIT » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:34 am

That is an odd problem.
You might try looking at the Thunderbird error console when this problem occurs.
Tools->Developer Tools->Error console. There are tabs at the top of the error console that let you select the type of errors you want to view. Mine only shows javascript errors right now but my T-bird is working normally.

Are you using POP or IMAP to get your mail?

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 am

Oh, THAT Thunderbird. I thought you were talking about the wine :oops:

xplorer

Post by xplorer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 am

I had a similar problem after my antivirus (ESET) software upgraded or TBird upgraded. The solution was to disable the ESET SSL/TLS filter while TBird was closed then reenable SSL/TLS filter so it recreates a new directory. Then restart TBird. The SSL/TLS filter switch was found in Advanced Setup/Web and Email/SSL-TLS section of ESET. This solution is on the web as I'm no subject matter expert. Don't know what antivirus you are using but it may have the same or similar problem. Was very annoying.... Hope this helps.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:17 am

DiamondplateDave wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:24 pm

I have T-bird working with multiple GMail accounts as well as Yahoo and Outlook. A mix of POP and IMAP. It works fine.

To your point, without knowing more it is impossible to diagnose the issue. The OP needs to post the servers being hit (POP, IMAP ??) and the security settings for each account.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am

POP server. Security settings I can find are SSL/TSL, no encryption.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 am

sport wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am
POP server. Security settings I can find are SSL/TSL, no encryption.
That is what I am using for Yahoo.

Server is: pop.mail.yahoo.com
Port is : 995

I don't use Yahoo for any sending so I don't have any details on the SMTP server side for Yahoo.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

PVW

Post by PVW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am

El Greco wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 am
Oh, THAT Thunderbird. I thought you were talking about the wine :oops:
Me too. Opening the bottle is the first malfunction.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 am

Gosh. I'm dated. :shock:
I thought this was about the "Thunderbird" driven by Susann Summers in the movie, "American Graffiti".
j

sport

Post by sport » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:12 pm

xplorer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 am
I had a similar problem after my antivirus (ESET) software upgraded or TBird upgraded. The solution was to disable the ESET SSL/TLS filter while TBird was closed then reenable SSL/TLS filter so it recreates a new directory. Then restart TBird. The SSL/TLS filter switch was found in Advanced Setup/Web and Email/SSL-TLS section of ESET. This solution is on the web as I'm no subject matter expert. Don't know what antivirus you are using but it may have the same or similar problem. Was very annoying.... Hope this helps.
I am using AVG antivirus. I turned off the Email Shield in AVG and that seems to have solved the problem. Many thanks for the suggestions.