Cycling in the French Alps and Pyrenees

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cegibbs

Cycling in the French Alps and Pyrenees

Post by cegibbs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:34 pm

I’m looking at doing a cycling trip for ten days or so in the French Alps or Pyrenees. Have any of you done that and which did you prefer between the two mountain ranges? Also, has anyone used any non US companies fot the trip, e.g., shuttle, support, lodging, etc.? If so, do you have any recommendations? I have found the British based companies to be pretty good and reasonably priced.

Thanks for any assistance and guidance.

stlutz

Re: Cycling in the French Alps and Pyrenees

Post by stlutz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm

I love, love, love the Pyrenees. Those mountains are just so much different from anything you'll see in the US. Also, that area caters to cyclo tourists more than anywhere I've been in Europe.

Towns I've stayed in for extended periods are Argeles-Gazost and Saint Lary Soulon. I've never used a tour company as I prefer the flexibility of doing my own thing. Tour companies are nice if you are looking for people to ride with. On my last trip I did 7 days of riding from Argeles Gazost--different routes each day.

Further east, I can also recommend staying at the Les Deux Velos B&B in Biert. Assuming Mark and Elma are still running it, they are wonderful hosts.

Freefun

Re: Cycling in the French Alps and Pyrenees

Post by Freefun » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 pm

I've used backroads. For French Alps I did their hiking trip, not cycling. But all of their trips are likely very good. Also check out VBT - I haven't used them but folks tell me quality is similar to backroads but less money.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?