Anything I should know about new windows?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
z91

Post by z91 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Getting some window quotes in. We have a few windows and a few patio doors. Our HOA requires white vinyl (which I prefer) and we will be getting double hung, double pane when possible. Otherwise they will be sliders (for the really wide windows).

We are in CA and next to a big street. Not a lot of noise (doesn't bother me), but right now we have single pane aluminum which lets in a lot of cold air and more noise than it should. Any additional noise suppressing than we have now would be a plus, but not required. I'm probably more concerned about insulating the space as my kids sleep next to a window and it can get pretty cold in the winter. I can feel the air blowing on me when it's strong :shock:

One thing we were interested in was patio doors that both slide. We are looking at Milgard now, but they don't offer that. Not sure if it's worth chasing down with another manufacturer. I don't have any huge furniture or a piano, so it's just for flexibility in case I wanted to move the door the other way. We aren't sure which side we want the patio doors to open..XO is the standard I think, but this would make it right next to an entry door. Right now they are all OX which I haven't noticed any issues with.

Is there anything else that I may not have thought about? I've used this thread as a baseline for knowledge:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovemen ... re_i_have/

So far we're going with Milgard Tuscany and EdgeGard spacers (non aluminum) with argon gas.

unclescrooge

Re: Anything I should know about new windows?

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:42 pm

I recently upgraded windows and doors. Used American windows, who used Anlin Delmar and Malibu series.

The quality was top notch, but the guy who measured goofed up a bit. Half the windows were new construction style, and half were retrofit. Make sure you get in writing which one they're putting.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:01 pm

I was pretty pleased with Milgard quality for windows and sliding doors. Nothing amazing, but seemed pretty solid. If you use an alternative supplier for different styles, make sure you will be happy with the quality. Definitely be aware of the differences between "new construction" and "retrofit" windows. The retrofit are a much simpler installation, and appropriate for most situations, but you will lose a bit of glass area because of the way the frames work.

The noise reduction is nice, along with better sealing and insulation.

mcamp18

Post by mcamp18 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm

I recently replaced all the windows in my house with a brand called OKNA. I found out about them after reading some homeowners and builders forums. The specs on the windows are top notch and they are a great value for the price. We have been very happy with our decision.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:06 am

I replaced both sets of sliding glass doors with Anderson a few years ago. They were at low end of Anderson product line but the quality is much better than what we had before. We purchased from Lowes from in stock supply. If you have to special order the price goes up a lot. The same is true for HD. You are likely to pay a lot more for doors that slide both ways. Is that really worth it?

There are plenty of good products out there. Get quotes from multiple products and suppliers. Make sure you select a reputable product and installer. Installation is really important for doors and windows. A poor installation can negate the effect of buying good quality doors and windows. Be sure you have good installers. My experience with big box stores on installation is not good and I would recommend using an independent installer if you go that route.

leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:10 am

In California consider Sierra Pacific, which is comparable to Marvin without showroom overhead. Also consider casement windows. Love them!

Make sure they come with screens. Check warranty. You may get an energy deduction if you itemize.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 am

Some replacement windows have thicker frames which can make a noticable difference in how much light gets in the room.

For example a 24 x 36 glass opening has 864 square inches.

If that is reduced to 23x35 because the frame is a half an inch thicker on each side that is 805 square inches, or about a 7% reduction in the opening. That will let in less light and can make the room darker. You can tape aluminum foil over 59 square inches to see how much difference that makes.

If you did not have the "grids" in the windows and you get replacement windows that have them then that will also reduce the square inches of the glass opening.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:03 am

Watty wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 am
Some replacement windows have thicker frames which can make a noticable difference in how much light gets in the room.

For example a 24 x 36 glass opening has 864 square inches.

If that is reduced to 23x35 because the frame is a half an inch thicker on each side that is 805 square inches, or about a 7% reduction in the opening. That will let in less light and can make the room darker. You can tape aluminum foil over 59 square inches to see how much difference that makes.

If you did not have the "grids" in the windows and you get replacement windows that have them then that will also reduce the square inches of the glass opening.
It can also reduce the opening required for an egress window (bedroom) to less than that required by code.

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm

I have Marvin vinyl windows and sliders in Phoenix. I went with standard frames instead of Tuscany to get bigger glass instead of bigger frames. I got double glass with argon filler. They are great at reducing plane and traffic noise. Plus they stop the cold and heat from outside. I have the one way sliders. They also have great warranty, just call them and they bring out a new window for free. Make sure you get a good installer who takes the time to fit each window and seal it completely around the edges and outside. Mine did good work but would not do any painting so I had to do some paint myself.

Good Luck.

4strings

Post by 4strings » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:27 am

mcamp18 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm
I recently replaced all the windows in my house with a brand called OKNA. I found out about them after reading some homeowners and builders forums. The specs on the windows are top notch and they are a great value for the price. We have been very happy with our decision.
Same! Put in about 25 new OKNA windows last year (vinyl double hung) and couldn't be happier.

investor997

Post by investor997 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:16 pm

pshonore wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:03 am
It can also reduce the opening required for an egress window (bedroom) to less than that required by code.
This is my current dilemma. Building code in my area says bedroom egress windows must open to an area of at least 5.7 sqft. I've had two window manufacturers tell me the most I can get using replacement windows in the existing opening is 5.6 - just below the legal limit. If I want to keep things legal I have to switch the window from a slider to a combination of a casement + fixed. They must also have grids patterns to match the existing windows (HOA), and getting everything to line up to match the existing grid dimensions using two separate windows is a challenge. The casement solution won't really look right. I'm not sure what to do at this point.