small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
dual
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:02 pm

small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by dual » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:01 pm

I am looking for a bicycle to take to a nearby park to ride. I have a mini-van so I do not need a folding bicycle but I would like one that is smaller than a regular bike and lower weight so it is easier to put it into the van. I am 5 feet 6 inches and weigh 130 lbs so it does not have to be super-strong or big. Any recommendations for bicycles that cost say under $250?

I prefer a non-folding bike since I think the added components for folding make the bike heavier and not as strong as a regular bicycle. A possibility is to buy a 20 inch tire aluminum bike and then figuring out how to raise the seat and handlebar so it fits me. Any ideas on that?

User avatar
yukonjack
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:36 pm
Location: Rocky Mountain West

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by yukonjack » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Basically what you are describing is a Bike Friday www.bikefriday.com which is a folding bike. The bikes are actually not that heavy. I believe in the 20 to 27 pound range. What you are paying for is the semi- custom build and the convenience of a folding bike. I personally wouldn’t recommend getting a bike that was too small and then try to stretch it to fit. The proper fitting at a trusted local bike seller is very important.

bloom2708
Posts: 3744
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 pm

What you are searching for will be very hard to find.

20" bikes that do not fold are usually in the BMX line or the young kid line. They are usually heavy because of the heavy steel lugged frame and cheap components.

The $250 price point will limit you to the Walmart/Target/low end bikes. Light typically means "road bike". I have a sub 20 pound Trek ZX 2100 road bike from circa 1995. It works good enough, but it has 700c wheels. There is a small subset of bikes that use the smaller 650c wheels.

I have a Brompton folding bike with 16" wheels. It is under 25 pounds and folds up to an amazingly small package. Comfortable and strong design. But many times over your $250 budget.

I guess I'm not helping. Sometimes you have to adjust your requirements to the products readily available for sale. Most adult bikes with 20"or smaller tires will be folding bikes. There are some great designs and only the lowest price ones would be the ones to watch out for. Maybe a reasonable folding bike that you just don't fold. Citizen Bike has some decent options in your price range.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

alex_686
Posts: 3209
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by alex_686 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:20 pm

I would not think so, primarily because of ergonomics. The height of the bike is determined by your inseam. The length of the bike is determined by your ridding position. i.e, are you more of a upright biker or do you use drop down bars instead?

If you want a light bike you are going to have spend more than $250.

Personally, I would go with a regular sized steel tube bike. The front wheel should be a quick release type. I can throw this type of bike in the back of my hatchback, seats down. Plain vanilla will serve you best as a casual ridder.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by jhfenton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:24 pm

alex_686 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:20 pm
Personally, I would go with a regular sized steel tube bike. The front wheel should be a quick release type. I can throw this type of bike in the back of my hatchback, seats down. Plain vanilla will serve you best as a casual ridder.
+1 With a quick-release front wheel, it is a cinch to fit a full-sized adult bike in a minivan. I transport my full-size TT/tri bike in the back seat of my Ford Fusion. It's in there right now, in fact, because I'm going for a ride after work.

KlangFool
Posts: 8381
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by KlangFool » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:27 pm

dual wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:01 pm
I am looking for a bicycle to take to a nearby park to ride. I have a mini-van so I do not need a folding bicycle but I would like one that is smaller than a regular bike and lower weight so it is easier to put it into the van. I am 5 feet 6 inches and weigh 130 lbs so it does not have to be super-strong or big. Any recommendations for bicycles that cost say under $250?

I prefer a non-folding bike since I think the added components for folding make the bike heavier and not as strong as a regular bicycle. A possibility is to buy a 20 inch tire aluminum bike and then figuring out how to raise the seat and handlebar so it fits me. Any ideas on that?
dual,

https://dahon.com/bikes/mariner-d8/

Your assumption is wrong. Most folding bikes are around 30 pounds. It is not heavier than a normal bike.

KlangFool

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7258
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm

You might also want a quick release seatpost clamp.

For a 5'6" rider with a minivan it may not matter, but sometimes a few inches in height makes the difference between wheeling* the bike in vertically and having to remove a wheel and lift it into the vehicle.

In the same vein a road bike is usually lighter and slightly shorter and narrower than a mountain bike or hybrid. 650C wheels also save a few inches. None of these will be available new for $250 but you might find one used.

* Okay you still have to lift, but can do it one wheel at a time.

bloom2708
Posts: 3744
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:49 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GURU-650c-whee ... SwoRBaU8Hm

Here is a mini road bike with 650c tires. This would be compact and light, but not for gravel or mixed riding probably with the skinny tires.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

User avatar
dual
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by dual » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into folding bicycles.

A quick search on Amazon turns up some possibilities for under $250 such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WE8OIM/re ... rd_w=GUa2M

I was concerned about assembly particularly with a folding bicycle but the bike at the link comes pre-assembled. They say you have to screw in a pedal.

At 28 lbs it's little heavier than I hoped but I think the small size will make it easier to lift and put into the minivan.

bloom2708
Posts: 3744
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:58 pm

dual wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:53 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into folding bicycles.

A quick search on Amazon turns up some possibilities for under $250 such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WE8OIM/re ... rd_w=GUa2M

I was concerned about assembly particularly with a folding bicycle but the bike at the link comes pre-assembled. They say you have to screw in a pedal.

At 28 lbs it's little heavier than I hoped but I think the small size will make it easier to lift and put into the car.
I would perhaps steer clear of the "no brand" bikes.

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp? ... oduct_id=1

The Miami from Citizen bike might be a good option. I would trust the build a bit more and you can customize a bit. Better track record but right at that 30lb mark.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by jhfenton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm

dual wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:53 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into folding bicycles.

A quick search on Amazon turns up some possibilities for under $250 such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WE8OIM/re ... rd_w=GUa2M

I was concerned about assembly particularly with a folding bicycle but the bike at the link comes pre-assembled. They say you have to screw in a pedal.

At 28 lbs it's little heavier than I hoped but I think the small size will make it easier to lift and put into the minivan.
I think that would be an incredibly uncomfortable and unsatisfactory bike to ride.

I believe something like the 46 cm size of this would be a lot more pleasant to ride and much lighter (and easier than you think to put into a minivan). There are a few models from $249-259 on bikesdirect.com. (I bought my first road bike on bikesdirect.com, and I later bought road bikes for my kids from them. There is a little bit of assembly required.)

alfaspider
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by alfaspider » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:17 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:27 pm
dual wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:01 pm
I am looking for a bicycle to take to a nearby park to ride. I have a mini-van so I do not need a folding bicycle but I would like one that is smaller than a regular bike and lower weight so it is easier to put it into the van. I am 5 feet 6 inches and weigh 130 lbs so it does not have to be super-strong or big. Any recommendations for bicycles that cost say under $250?

I prefer a non-folding bike since I think the added components for folding make the bike heavier and not as strong as a regular bicycle. A possibility is to buy a 20 inch tire aluminum bike and then figuring out how to raise the seat and handlebar so it fits me. Any ideas on that?
dual,

https://dahon.com/bikes/mariner-d8/

Your assumption is wrong. Most folding bikes are around 30 pounds. It is not heavier than a normal bike.

KlangFool
It depends what you consider a "normal bike." Absent a few crazy expensive custom builds, the lightest you will get a folding bike is around 20lbs. I had a single speed brompton with lightweight clipless pedals that came in around that. But even mid-range road bikes come in sub 20lbs these days, and the high end are pushing well below the 15lb benchmark, which is the minimum for professional competition. There are off the shelf road bikes down to around 13lbs.

User avatar
dual
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Re: small non-folding bicycle recommendations

Post by dual » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:35 pm

This bike is 5 lbs less (23 lbs) but costs $220 more than the one I linked to above ($400+shipping).

Also 8 vs 7 speed and quick release wheels

https://www.amazon.com/EuroMini-Lightwe ... B079BHDRJW

Post Reply