Cargo Vans- suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
jehovasfitness
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by jehovasfitness » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Here's the deal. I'm a dog lover, and we just added a 3rd dog, which they are 80-100 lbs each.

Currently have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with 150k miles that is the beater and my daily driver. It will be a bit tight with 3 dogs plus luggage, so I'll be looking into either a cargo roof box or possibly one to put on a hitch. This alone will be just under $1k.

Not that I'm using that as the excuse to get a new dog/DD vehicle, but it has me thinking about cargo vans, since it's just the wife and I + dogs, so no need for rear seating. They also get about 10 more miles to the gallon, which I know makes very little difference.

All that said, anyone have one?

I'm seeing new 2017 model Nissan NV200 for about $16k, which seems like a good deal as new 2018s are going for $20k+

to note, my wife has a 2012 Honda Fit that we try to keep the dogs out of, but on longer trips I prefer to take that because of mpg and reliability. 3 large dogs in there will be a bit tough but doable, again needing external luggage space.

Random Poster
Posts: 1637
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by Random Poster » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:03 pm

jehovasfitness wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm
I'm seeing new 2017 model Nissan NV200 for about $16k, which seems like a good deal as new 2018s are going for $20k+
Read up on tire issues with the Nissan. Things may have changed, but finding replacement tires (with the appropriate load rating) for that vehicle was reportedly quite the challenge for its owners.

Here's one article on the issue: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc- ... the-tires/

Regarding cargo vans in general, the new Ford Transit (Connect or otherwise) vans look appealing to me. The 2019 model seems to be getting good press (like here: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/linc ... auto-show/).

User avatar
Nestegg_User
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by Nestegg_User » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Random Poster

your cnet link doesn’t cover anything about the Ford Transit....wrong link?

I’ve seen the transits, as some in the trades have used them, and thought they might be useful for travel with the furry ones. I’ve even seen links elsewhere where Transits are upgraded to a B-level van... but I’m not sure how comfortable they’d be for taller individuals

Random Poster
Posts: 1637
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by Random Poster » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Nestegg_User wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:00 pm
Random Poster

your cnet link doesn’t cover anything about the Ford Transit....wrong link?

I’ve seen the transits, as some in the trades have used them, and thought they might be useful for travel with the furry ones. I’ve even seen links elsewhere where Transits are upgraded to a B-level van... but I’m not sure how comfortable they’d be for taller individuals
Oops.

Try this one: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019 ... n-chicago/

mageedge
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by mageedge » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:48 pm

We just went through a similar analysis looking for a vehicle that I could make into a "sleeper van" for camping trips for the two of us. Looked at all the vans mentioned so far plus some and eventually settled on a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivan for $24k with 8k miles on it. 7 passenger but I expect the seating to remain stowed in the floor most of the time with a sleeping platform set up. I think you can substitute dogs for sleeping platform and still have room for luggage.
Minivans generally had a winning combination of comfort, mpg, flexibility and space compared to Transit Connect, NV200 and similar, Pacifica offered the best deal but I think the Toyota/Honda/Kia competitors would have worked also.

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by WhyNotUs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:15 pm

$16k is an attractive price for a cargo van. I do not know that particular van but had a Chevy for a business that I was a part owner of.

It would be hard for me to buy a van for dogs without operable windows.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

marstaton4
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by marstaton4 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:54 pm

I've got a 2015 Transit Connect cargo van with the 2.5L non-turbo engine. I like it overall. I've got 48k miles on it and I've had a number of 10+ hour trips in it and I haven't had any issues other than normal maintenance. I have the actual cargo one and would probably suggest getting the wagon and taking the seats out on your own. I believe the wagon has more sound dampening and some other possible benefits. Mine is filled from top to bottom with equipment and it's fairly loud but the equipment takes out some of the noise. 25 mpg consistently. I also have vinyl floor all around which is really great for just wiping out any kind of dirt of mud that finds it's way inside.

I've got a friend who has a Nissan NV200 and seems to like it ok but much prefers my Transit. I've got a friend with a Mercedes Metris and it's a much, much nicer vehicle but my friend really seems to regret the purchase due to difficulty getting warranty work done with a limited dealership group. He's also had some suspension and tire wear issues.

jehovasfitness
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by jehovasfitness » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:23 am

WhyNotUs wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:15 pm
$16k is an attractive price for a cargo van. I do not know that particular van but had a Chevy for a business that I was a part owner of.

It would be hard for me to buy a van for dogs without operable windows.
I kind of like the idea of no side/back windows so people that walk by don't get them riled up. That said, bad for airflow/cooling.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3230
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by lthenderson » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:33 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm
Not that I'm using that as the excuse to get a new dog/DD vehicle, but it has me thinking about cargo vans, since it's just the wife and I + dogs, so no need for rear seating. They also get about 10 more miles to the gallon, which I know makes very little difference.
Have you thought about a minivan instead? It would get way better gas mileage, have more than enough room to haul the pooches with the middle and rear seats gone/stowed, ride a heck of a lot better and there is a much larger used market to sort through to find one in your price range. If you get one with stow and go seating, then you now have the ability to haul the occasional guest around without removing any seats. I've used cargo vans for work and they are spine adjusting things going down the road compared to a minivan.

Edited to add other benefits such as easy of getting around and parking.

jehovasfitness
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by jehovasfitness » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:44 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:33 am
jehovasfitness wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm
Not that I'm using that as the excuse to get a new dog/DD vehicle, but it has me thinking about cargo vans, since it's just the wife and I + dogs, so no need for rear seating. They also get about 10 more miles to the gallon, which I know makes very little difference.
Have you thought about a minivan instead? It would get way better gas mileage, have more than enough room to haul the pooches with the middle and rear seats gone/stowed, ride a heck of a lot better and there is a much larger used market to sort through to find one in your price range. If you get one with stow and go seating, then you now have the ability to haul the occasional guest around without removing any seats. I've used cargo vans for work and they are spine adjusting things going down the road compared to a minivan.

Edited to add other benefits such as easy of getting around and parking.
Do they get that much better mpg? Nissan CV gets mid/upper 20s.

Minis are also quite a bit more expensive and I don't like to have car payments.

In fact, just found a used Ford Transit with 96k miles for $5900. Not sure of maintenance history, and I'd like something a little lower in miles ideally, but that's still 50k less miles than my beater has now.

I'm also wondering at what point it would be wise to make the move. Jeep Cherokees of my year are known to go way high mileage before giving out. Right now I'm spending about $800/yr over the past 3 years in repairs, which isn't bad, but if the trans goes that will be a hefty fix for a car valued at $3500.

Kind of tempted to cut it loose now where I can easily get $3500 for it and put towards a brand new Nissan NV200 that comes with 5 yr/100k warranty. Granted, I only avg 8k miles/yr with mine now.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3230
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Cargo Vans- suggestions

Post by lthenderson » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:09 pm

jehovasfitness wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:44 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:33 am
jehovasfitness wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm
Not that I'm using that as the excuse to get a new dog/DD vehicle, but it has me thinking about cargo vans, since it's just the wife and I + dogs, so no need for rear seating. They also get about 10 more miles to the gallon, which I know makes very little difference.
Have you thought about a minivan instead? It would get way better gas mileage, have more than enough room to haul the pooches with the middle and rear seats gone/stowed, ride a heck of a lot better and there is a much larger used market to sort through to find one in your price range. If you get one with stow and go seating, then you now have the ability to haul the occasional guest around without removing any seats. I've used cargo vans for work and they are spine adjusting things going down the road compared to a minivan.

Edited to add other benefits such as easy of getting around and parking.
Do they get that much better mpg? Nissan CV gets mid/upper 20s.

Minis are also quite a bit more expensive and I don't like to have car payments.
I doubt that many if any get any better gas mileage than what you mentioned for the CV. I must admit when I was writing my comments I was thinking of the full size cargo vans. The Nissan CV looks small enough it is probably made on a passenger car chassis and perhaps would ride more comfortably.

Post Reply