TV that is flush to wall

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

TV that is flush to wall

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:29 pm

I'm planning to change my living room set up and am looking for options to hide the TV (that I won't use that much). After reading another thread, I'm considering getting a Samsung The Frame or a 55" LCD that is flush to the wall and put wall art over it. Does "The Frame" have any competition?

If I go with a typical TV, I'm not that concerned with picture quality (I figure most of 4K), decent sound would be nice but I have a sound bar anyway - the main thing is that I would want it easy to hang where it doesn't stick out much and doesn't have a lot of of wires coming out of it.

I should probably take a trip to Best Buy to see them in person, but wanted to post here first.

Any recommendations?
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jehovasfitness

Re: TV that is plush to wall

Post by jehovasfitness » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:32 pm

AFAIK OLED are the thinnest but still have about 2 inches of electronics beyond the screen.

I got an LG 65 OLED and love it. Prices should be under 3k now for it, even less for 55

Edit. I misread and didn't know about The Frame
Last edited by jehovasfitness on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:36 pm

I would go for flush to the wall instead of plush to the wall, but that’s just me. Yep, being a smarta$$ :happy

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Well there is a TV called the "Wallpaper" by LG. Not sure it's worth it but sounds like what you want.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Crimsontide wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:36 pm
I would go for flush to the wall instead of plush to the wall, but that’s just me. Yep, being a smarta$$ :happy
Good point, I updated the OP :wink:

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:17 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:43 pm
Well there is a TV called the "Wallpaper" by LG. Not sure it's worth it but sounds like what you want.
Does look pretty sweet, just don't think I want to spend the $7k for something I won't watch that much. This is pretty cool too - https://youtu.be/KHSdObeUdxI

iamlucky13

Re: TV that is flush to wall

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Sound from thin TV's is marginal at best, so I would probably make plans to integrate that sound bar into room somehow, or install flush mount speakers.

I hadn't seen that Samsung "frame" before. Adjusting the brightness and colors to the ambient light to make it look like reflected light instead of emitted light is a slick idea for a TV. I wonder if they've got any tricks to minimize power consumption while it is in art mode.

Some viewers go with high end projectors and retractable screens in order to minimize the visibility of their TV, but projectors are not the best choice in rooms with lots of daylight.

I suppose it is possible to install a TV recessed into certain walls if you're comfortable doing framing, but I haven't fully thought through how one might go about that matters like making artwork hanging in front of the TV easy to move out of the way.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 am

I bought just a regular flatscreen and fished all the cables through the wall into one of those recessed plates made for televisions so that you don't have any dangling cords. Then I plugged in a thumb drive on the back with some of my favorite photos and selected the televisions slideshow option so it just looks like a giant picture that changes fairly regularly. Really the only difference is that the "frame" is all black versus containing white matting like Samsung's Frame television. One caveat is that you have to spend some time sizing all your pictures just right so they fill up the screen or you end up with wider margins on some of the edges.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:28 am

I believe that my Samsung is 1.9" thick. I have a flush mount that leaves about a 0.5" gap between the wall and the back of the TV. Use one of these and you won't see any wires.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 am

Have you considered a TV cabinet with a motorized lift?

The TV goes down into the cabinet and is completely hidden inside the cabinet. They are not cheap, but it looks like you have no TV.

Mounting a TV on the wall is usually quite limiting. How do you plug it in? How do you attach devices? The external sound is also a real issue. Flat panels for the most part have terrible sound. How do you attach your soundbar and where do you put it?

All of these can be addressed, but in existing construction can be very expensive. Not sure if you don't want it to appear like you have a TV or if you just don't want a TV.

If it was just me, I could watch anything I wanted on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. Playstation Vue, Netflix and all the supporting apps can all be loaded. Add a pair of headphones and you have a great solution in your hand. Not very good for social situations and family viewing.

I would get the TV you want and a nice styled TV stand that fits your room.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:38 pm

I just saw the Frame and it is nicer and looks more like a framed painting than I would have thought. I think I read somewhere that art mode uses motion detection too to save on power. I'll have to look into it more, but I doubt power consumption would be that much.

Edit: just saw that it's 47W in Art Mode, vs 160W for general viewing for the 55" - https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077055/. So if I put motion detection on, I'm probably looking at .047kW * 3600 hours / year * .15 kwh = $25 a year to run it
bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 am
Have you considered a TV cabinet with a motorized lift?

The TV goes down into the cabinet and is completely hidden inside the cabinet. They are not cheap, but it looks like you have no TV.
The ones I saw were about $2k so I wouldn't be willing to spend that on one. And I assume you can't put anything on top of them so it would just look like a big bare piece of furniture.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:49 pm

I have not bought a TV for a few years so this may be dated, but it is something to check.

Most TVs have a limited viewing angle. Ideally your line of sight is perpendicular to the surface of the TV. If you view it at too great an angle the picture washes out. The specs for a TV which will list the viewing angle as something like 110° horizontally and +20° to -5° vertically. The asymmetry in the vertical angle means the TV is designed to be viewed from slightly above. If you view a TV that is flat to the wall from below you get a less than ideal picture. You can check this by looking at the specs and going to a show room and looking at the TV while squatting.

There are several solutions to this.
  • One is to tilt the TV away from the wall so the perpendicular to the screen points to the (low) seats. This results in a less sleek instillation since the TV is not flat to the wall.
  • A second solution is to turn the TV upside down, so +20° to -5° becomes +5° to -20°. This allows the TV to be flat to the wall if it is not too high, and flatter to the wall in any event. Some TVs have a setting that inverts the picture. (If you are using a computer to generate the picture the computer setting can be used). Some TVs also have logos etc that can be rotate or don't look odd mounted upside down.
  • A third solution is to get a TV with a wide vertical viewing angle, I don't know if these are really available.
Notice that this is quite independent of a high mounted TV being a pain in the neck. That is a matter of anatomy and furniture design, rather than physics.

Balefire

Post by Balefire » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:59 pm

The Samsung Q7 may also fit the bill at a significantly lower cost than the new Wallpaper model

Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Let me know what you decide to do around the Frame since we are also considering it! I've heard the the sound is decent on the Frame so not having to buy sound equipment would be nice. My other thought was a vendor on Etsy who makes historic pull down maps that can pull right over your TV.

SC1959

Post by SC1959 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:09 pm

We used a tv mount bracket and had an Recepticle installed behind the TV so as to hide wires. Looks great and easy.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:20 pm

It looks like The Frame is around $2k for a 55". Pretty pricey. I have to think the sound isn't great given the design.

You could have a recess made in the wall that would hold the whole tv, depending on where you are putting the tv and the construction of your home. You could then easily put a piece of art over it on 2 slide rollers (like a kitchen drawer uses) to move the art above or below the tv when you want to watch it. You could have the tv on a mount for tilting/turning. For the frame, it sounds like you would need a recessed outlet anyway and a cable run (depending on if you use over the air antenna, cable tv, etc). If you have a cable box, where would you put that with The Frame?

Another thing is, if you aren't sitting directly in front of The Frame, there is no options to tilt it or turn it like you'd have with a regular tv mount.

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:49 pm

You stated that picture quality is not of utmost importance to you. You might take a look at UST projectors similar to this one.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lg-pf10 ... review.htm

No TV on the wall, no wires to hide. Be aware there are compromises with any projection system, and UST projectors have their own particular ones, so do some reading first. But as far as stealth goes it is hard to beat these for the price and convenience.
"My idea of rich is ordering the most expensive thing at Denny's"

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:29 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:20 pm
It looks like The Frame is around $2k for a 55". Pretty pricey. I have to think the sound isn't great given the design.

You could have a recess made in the wall that would hold the whole tv, depending on where you are putting the tv and the construction of your home. You could then easily put a piece of art over it on 2 slide rollers (like a kitchen drawer uses) to move the art above or below the tv when you want to watch it. You could have the tv on a mount for tilting/turning. For the frame, it sounds like you would need a recessed outlet anyway and a cable run (depending on if you use over the air antenna, cable tv, etc). If you have a cable box, where would you put that with The Frame?

Another thing is, if you aren't sitting directly in front of The Frame, there is no options to tilt it or turn it like you'd have with a regular tv mount.
It is pricey for a 55". I already have a great sound bar so could hook that up if the sound is weak (which I assume most flat screens are).

We're also considering the art cover, but a standard TV plus good art is also pricey and it's a bit of a hack that takes extra work each time we want to watch TV. The way the room is set up too, guests will see it from the side and be able to tell it's a cover up / hack.

The Frame comes with a Samsung One Connect box - https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049915/ So it just has a power cord and very thin data cable leaving the TV. I'd probably put the One Connect box in the corner of the room out of site on an end table or something.