Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
amd2135
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by amd2135 »

Personally, Prime shipping has been getting better. I just received a package a day earlier than expected and it's not the first time that's happened in recent memory.

Most deliveries are via USPS now. From the tracking info it would appear Amazon themselves are directly transferring packages to the local post office the morning of delivery.

I couldn't be happier.
mpsz
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by mpsz »

I recently paid $8 to upgrade to Prime Next-day shipping on two items that I actually needed to arrive quickly.

As one has come to expect from Amazon, no effort was made to expedite the items and they arrived the day after promised. The items didn't actually leave Amazon's warehouse 3 states away until about 4 PM on the day that the items were supposed to be delivered.

All I got was a refund of the $8.
User avatar
mister_sparkle
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by mister_sparkle »

I recently bought a Prime membership, and soon thereafter ordered a bunch of LPs that were priced low enough to make it a no-brainer. Only 1 or 2 of them actually shipped out on time, the others I was offered a credit for if I accepted a later delivery date, and those ended up coming 2-3 weeks later.

Recently, I had one package come to my apartment, but because Amazon wasn't using USPS (who has a key and can drop packages off in the foyer), I got a delivery e-mail notice, but nowhere was there the option to have the package re-routed to a different address, e.g. my work address. The options were to leave the package somewhere outside my building (no go in the city) or with a neighbor (no go, as everyone works during the day). Because there was no option to re-route the package, I had to cancel the delivery and got a refund.

The delivery issue is going to be a material one for me, unless I opt to have everything sent to my job, but then I have to shlep those home. Not ideal. I wonder if there is an option to only have packages delivered by USPS, not private companies?
kenoryan
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by kenoryan »

We live within 10 miles of their local fulfillment center in Wisconsin and I can’t remember ever having a problem with delivery. Lots of items are delivered the next day.
sunspotzsz
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 9:35 am

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by sunspotzsz »

Same experience. Longer shipping from amazon.

also realized that a lot of times, amazon is more expensive than walmart, target and costco as well.

I have cancelled prime and have been using other sites. Really like the google express lately since they have free second day shipping and service is great.

bye bye amazon
Stay the course! | | Californians can save energy, reduce emission and get paid by signing up with ohm. | | https://ohm.co/sunspotzsz
CurlyDave
Posts: 1972
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by CurlyDave »

The thing I have noticed is that when I look at an item it will give a delivery date if ordered in the net x hours, but when I actually order it, minutes later, the delivery date is now at least one day later.

But we live out in the boonies and Amazon is still the best game in town, even with the delayed deliveries.
student
Posts: 5162
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by student »

mister_sparkle wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 pm I recently bought a Prime membership, and soon thereafter ordered a bunch of LPs that were priced low enough to make it a no-brainer. Only 1 or 2 of them actually shipped out on time, the others I was offered a credit for if I accepted a later delivery date, and those ended up coming 2-3 weeks later.

Recently, I had one package come to my apartment, but because Amazon wasn't using USPS (who has a key and can drop packages off in the foyer), I got a delivery e-mail notice, but nowhere was there the option to have the package re-routed to a different address, e.g. my work address. The options were to leave the package somewhere outside my building (no go in the city) or with a neighbor (no go, as everyone works during the day). Because there was no option to re-route the package, I had to cancel the delivery and got a refund.

The delivery issue is going to be a material one for me, unless I opt to have everything sent to my job, but then I have to shlep those home. Not ideal. I wonder if there is an option to only have packages delivered by USPS, not private companies?
Which company was Amazon using that did not let you re-route the package? UPS allows it but they change you for it unless you pay an annual fee of $40.

https://www.dealnews.com/features/Reaso ... 43411.html
caffeinefree
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by caffeinefree »

mister_sparkle wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 pm The delivery issue is going to be a material one for me, unless I opt to have everything sent to my job, but then I have to shlep those home. Not ideal. I wonder if there is an option to only have packages delivered by USPS, not private companies?
I followed another poster's suggestion and emailed jeff@amazon.com with my complaints about Amazon's personal delivery service, which I've had terrible experiences with. I received an email back from a minion who promised that my account would be flagged to ONLY send deliveries through UPS when possible. She said it would take about 3 weeks for the change to go into effect.

Note: You might be able to speak to your apartment super to see if they can get UPS a key to the building? At my building, both USPS and UPS have keys to drop mail in the foyer.
User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2322
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by JMacDonald »

caffeinefree wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:20 am
mister_sparkle wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 pm The delivery issue is going to be a material one for me, unless I opt to have everything sent to my job, but then I have to shlep those home. Not ideal. I wonder if there is an option to only have packages delivered by USPS, not private companies?
I followed another poster's suggestion and emailed jeff@amazon.com with my complaints about Amazon's personal delivery service, which I've had terrible experiences with. I received an email back from a minion who promised that my account would be flagged to ONLY send deliveries through UPS when possible. She said it would take about 3 weeks for the change to go into effect.

Note: You might be able to speak to your apartment super to see if they can get UPS a key to the building? At my building, both USPS and UPS have keys to drop mail in the foyer.
I don't buy much from Amazon. However, a recent Item I could not find anywhere else except through Amazon. I did not want it to be left in the lobby of the building where I live so I chose to have to delivered to an Amazon Locker. This is the first time I have used Amazon Locker. It worked great. I got an email telling me the item was available for pick up and a code to open the locker. If Amazon Locker is available in your area, it is a great way to go.
https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=6442600011
Best Wishes, | Joe
User avatar
mister_sparkle
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by mister_sparkle »

student wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:59 am
mister_sparkle wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 pm I recently bought a Prime membership, and soon thereafter ordered a bunch of LPs that were priced low enough to make it a no-brainer. Only 1 or 2 of them actually shipped out on time, the others I was offered a credit for if I accepted a later delivery date, and those ended up coming 2-3 weeks later.

Recently, I had one package come to my apartment, but because Amazon wasn't using USPS (who has a key and can drop packages off in the foyer), I got a delivery e-mail notice, but nowhere was there the option to have the package re-routed to a different address, e.g. my work address. The options were to leave the package somewhere outside my building (no go in the city) or with a neighbor (no go, as everyone works during the day). Because there was no option to re-route the package, I had to cancel the delivery and got a refund.

The delivery issue is going to be a material one for me, unless I opt to have everything sent to my job, but then I have to shlep those home. Not ideal. I wonder if there is an option to only have packages delivered by USPS, not private companies?
Which company was Amazon using that did not let you re-route the package? UPS allows it but they change you for it unless you pay an annual fee of $40.

https://www.dealnews.com/features/Reaso ... 43411.html
It was on Amazon's website, so it didn't say which company was attempting delivery. But there was no option to have the package sent to another address, so I either had to take a day off work or cancel the order, so I chose the latter.
student
Posts: 5162
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by student »

mister_sparkle wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 pm
student wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:59 am
mister_sparkle wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 pm I recently bought a Prime membership, and soon thereafter ordered a bunch of LPs that were priced low enough to make it a no-brainer. Only 1 or 2 of them actually shipped out on time, the others I was offered a credit for if I accepted a later delivery date, and those ended up coming 2-3 weeks later.

Recently, I had one package come to my apartment, but because Amazon wasn't using USPS (who has a key and can drop packages off in the foyer), I got a delivery e-mail notice, but nowhere was there the option to have the package re-routed to a different address, e.g. my work address. The options were to leave the package somewhere outside my building (no go in the city) or with a neighbor (no go, as everyone works during the day). Because there was no option to re-route the package, I had to cancel the delivery and got a refund.

The delivery issue is going to be a material one for me, unless I opt to have everything sent to my job, but then I have to shlep those home. Not ideal. I wonder if there is an option to only have packages delivered by USPS, not private companies?
Which company was Amazon using that did not let you re-route the package? UPS allows it but they change you for it unless you pay an annual fee of $40.

https://www.dealnews.com/features/Reaso ... 43411.html
It was on Amazon's website, so it didn't say which company was attempting delivery. But there was no option to have the package sent to another address, so I either had to take a day off work or cancel the order, so I chose the latter.
If you click on tracking, it will give you the shipping company. I have seen USPS, UPS and AMZL US (its own shipping service).
User avatar
dollar_elbow
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by dollar_elbow »

darrvao777 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:21 am
Barefootgirl wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 am I've been an Amazon Prime member for a few years, paying for 2 day delivery, some free video viewing and that's about it. For 30 days return policy purposes, it was great to have their delivery information to track return eligibility.

Over the past few months, now only about 20% of my deliveries are still delivered in 2 days, now mostly 3 - 7 days.

In the past month? None delivered in two days and delivery dates completely wrong. In some cases, I have received the items, but Amazon says they are still on the way, no delivery date available. In other cases, packages now lost and not traceable.

Makes me wonder what I am paying for, if Prime delivery is either now standard delivery timelines or not delivered at all.

Am I the only one to notice this change?
You can call to complain but depending on the shipping partner (I've had terrible experiences with LaserShip), things may not get better. Also as mentioned, they'll extend your prime membership for free for one month but what good is that if the packages are always consistently late?

I live in a fairly remote area and Amazon either uses FedEx, UPS, or USPS and I've noticed they are great with 2 day shipping.

My in laws live in NYC where LaserShip seems to run rampant and I've given up on using Amazon altogether there.

I also highly recommend using a credit card with strong purchase protection (have had great experiences with Amex and Citi cards) so in the likely event that packages are lost, damaged, or very late, I am not on the hook for charges.
For NYC, Amazon seems to use LaserShip for same day/next day deliveries. I too have found them to be unreliable to the point where I will choose 2 day delivery since Amazon uses USPS or UPS for that and they seem more reliable.
inbox788
Posts: 7629
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by inbox788 »

sunspotzsz wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:08 am Same experience. Longer shipping from amazon.

also realized that a lot of times, amazon is more expensive than walmart, target and costco as well.

I have cancelled prime and have been using other sites. Really like the google express lately since they have free second day shipping and service is great.

bye bye amazon
I just had a shipment that was supposed to get here today get delayed. Turns out they didn't it get it out in time for 2nd day, even though they had nearly 2 days to ship it out. This has been happening more frequently to me, so I can't count on their delivery times the way I used to. Still, they're better than most others, and I'll have to consider the alternatives. You can complain and they may provide some consideration, but I know people who complained a lot, and they were blacklisted. YMMV.
boogiehead
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by boogiehead »

Steady decline for me as well in SoCal. Worst thing is the customer service has gone downhill too. The carrier lost my item during transit and they never notified me until I realized I never received anything 3 days later and when i contacted them they told me I had to contact them instead :confused. Below is a recent chat session.... wasn't even offered extension of prime membership, not until it happened again a month later even though this rep says this will not happen with any of your future orders.


08:36 PM PST Liju : I'm very sorry for this.
in this case, the customer needs to contact us to confirm whether a replacement or refund is to be processed.
08:38 PM PST Liju : This will not happen with any of your future orders.
08:39 PM PST: i know that you've told me the same thing already 3 times already .... you haven't told me what's the accountability of my prime orders not being delivered as promised or even notifying me in a timely manner of why this is happening instead of generic emails saying sorry for the delay and we'll give you a new delivery date
08:40 PM PST Liju : I hope you'll understand that our fulfillment centers and carriers are working hard to ensure packages are delivered as quickly as possible to meet the estimated delivery date listed in Your Account. Unfortunately, in spite of all of our efforts, there will be some unforeseen delays, and as an online buyer myself who encounters the same sad experience like this one, I can almost feel your frustration and disappointment.
We're aware that our choice of delivery services reflects on our business as a whole, and we'll make sure that it is investigated and appropriate action is taken so that it does not repeat with any of our customers in future.
nalor511
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by nalor511 »

My last 3 shipments have missed by 1 business day, 3 business days, and the last one the tracking actually never updated (ever) and they had to re-ship. Don't get me started on 'no-rush' - it used to be that if you chose no-rush, your item would still arrive within about a week. It's been taking at least a week to even ship, now, and usually two weeks in total. I've stopped using no-rush, because it's no longer worth it, and I don't use the credits anyway. Definitely no longer worth it if you're paying for Prime just for the shipping benefits.
Nyc10036
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by Nyc10036 »

sunspotzsz wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:08 am Really like the google express lately since they have free second day shipping and service is great.
Some people have had problems with the sales tax collected on Google Express orders.
Apparently it is based on the tax of where the item orginated.
Nyc10036
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Amazon Prime Going Sideways/Weird Shipment Problems

Post by Nyc10036 »

Just ordered a gift card. Surprisingly was shipped the same day. I don't have Prime.

Otherwise, orders generally are shipped within 5-7 business. Sometimes longer.
So, I get it in 2 weeks or so.

For odds and ends, I have been shopping on eBay more.
Post Reply