Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia (Cheticamp, Ingonish, Cape Breton)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia (Cheticamp, Ingonish, Cape Breton)

Post by nisiprius » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Late May or early June, tent camping with our dog... thoughts?

It looks as if the Cabot Trail is in fact the best road between Cheticamp and Ingonish, which leaves us with a little puzzle about organizing the trip. It's about 80 miles each way, Google Maps thinks it's a two-hour drive, and obviously we want to do it in a leisurely way and take our time. But there and back seems like a bit more than we might want to do in one day, and it is obviously not a road lined with rest stops and motels!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Yukon

Re: Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia (Cheticamp, Ingonish, Cape Breton)

Post by Yukon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:06 am

Sorry, I can't help but it's a trip on the bucket list. Would love to learn your general itinerary for the entire area? Getting some slow travel in? Short trip?
Don't Work Forever.

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 am

We did the Cabot Trail using Ingonish as our base and that is doable in a day. It is a lovely area to explore. The road was decent and not too crowded (caveat — this was a few years ago but also peak summer season). If you want to break it up, you should be able to find a place to stay or camp, probably a small inn or B&B rather than a chain motel. Just google the area for places.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:10 am

The Cabot Trail is often a bike touring destination. I am aware that you aren’t biking. But, the information below might be of interest to you.

Here is a link to a description of the bike trail and other information: http://www.cyclenovascotia.ca/routes/cabot-trail/

Here is a discussion about biking the trail with advice about the trail and it’s support features: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1064 ... ughts.html
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

mapleosb

Post by mapleosb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:39 pm

It looks as if the Cabot Trail is in fact the best road between Cheticamp and Ingonish, which leaves us with a little puzzle about organizing the trip. It's about 80 miles each way, Google Maps thinks it's a two-hour drive, and obviously we want to do it in a leisurely way and take our time. But there and back seems like a bit more than we might want to do in one day, and it is obviously not a road lined with rest stops and motels!
nisiprius,

We drove up to Cape Breton last summer, stayed at a nice place in Ingonish (Lantern Hill & Hollow) for 5 days. We drove over to Cheticamp for the day and had lunch and a walk around town and then drove back to Ingonish. It is easily doable for a day trip. Most of the beauty in scenery will be as you travel North from Ingonish and South to Cheticamp along the coasts. Only the stretch East to West and back is through short forest with not a lot to see.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Can't give any advice on the general topic, as we were there too many years ago to be relevant now.

But I assume the doggy meets Canada's entry requirements?

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/ ... -to-canada

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:27 pm

We drove up to Cape Breton last summer, stayed at a nice place in Ingonish (Lantern Hill & Hollow) for 5 days. We drove over to Cheticamp for the day and had lunch and a walk around town and then drove back to Ingonish. It is easily doable for a day trip. Most of the beauty in scenery will be as you travel North from Ingonish and South to Cheticamp along the coasts. Only the stretch East to West and back is through short forest with not a lot to see.
[/quote]

We also stayed at Lantern Hill and Hollow and highly recommend it.

nibble

Post by nibble » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Camping is beautiful here! You will enjoy the lack of crowds, although even the middle of summer is not dense by US standards.

One caveat: the weather in late May and June can still rainy and quite cold, esp in northern Cape Breton. Be sure to bring appropriate clothing just in case. Depending on how you feel about being soggy, you might want to have some lodging ideas as a backup plan.

One place I often visit (I'm from this area) is Meat Cove. It's off the Trans Canada, but nothing is all that distant here. If you are willing to camp around a bit, they have a lovely campground, where you will feel at the end of the earth. It doesn't open until beginning of June, if I remember correctly. But... they also have cabins, which could solve the possible "wet problem" and would indeed let you have that leisurely tour between Ingonish and Cheticamp. Dogs are welcome.

Happy Trails!

red5

Post by red5 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:37 am

We did this trip last summer. Two hours seems sort of correct without any stops. It can be pretty slow going at times especially if you get behind a big truck. There are numerous trails (some easy and some hard) and pull offs so that'll add time as well if you choose to stop.

What we did was stay a couple nights at the provincial park to tent camp at Ingonish. A few days later we packed up and drove to Cheticamp to another provincial park to tent camp. This allowed us to do what we wanted on the Ingonish side for a couple days and the same for the Cheticamp side for a few days.

It's a beautiful area with lots to do and I genuinely hope you enjoy yourself as much as I did.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:39 pm

I did a walking trip in Cape Breton a decade or so ago with a local outfitter. It was in August IIRC and quite comfortable temperature-wise. May might be cool.

Beautiful scenery - pretty much the whole northern tip of Cape Breton is the CB Highlands National Park.. There are a number of places to stop and do hikes of various lengths. We spent one night in Cheticamp and then stayed the next at Ingonish. We had a picnic lunch, but I'm sure there were some ranger stations with toilet facilities.

chw

Post by chw » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 am

We traveled to Nova Scotia 30 years ago, and your general sense to allow more time for driving time is correct. We had planned to do drive to Cape Breton after returning by ferry from Prince Edward Island, but decided to not rush on our trip back to Yarmouth where we had a ferry reservation to Portland, ME- we took the Lighthouse route down through southwest NS over 2 days. So while we didn't visit Cape Breton, I would say that the scenery is spectacular, and your sense to not rush your travel is accurate.

I would also say that if camping to pack warm clothes, as you can get colder weather than even you may plan for- especially at night. We noticed a steep drop in temp late in the afternoons- it seemed the temp would drop quickly by about 25-30 degrees at dusk.

Enjoy your trip- our vacation to NS and PEI was very enjoyable & memorable 30 years ago.

Bob-a-job

Post by Bob-a-job » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 am

Check out macleods.com - have camped at their beach campsite as well as the B&B, they are both the best!!

msk

Post by msk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 am

Been there, done that :beer Beautiful drive. Spent a night at the Keltic Lodge in Ingonish. Quite upmarket but very much worth the splurge IMHO. DW liked it so much she took one of her lady friends up there again a couple of years later; and both loved it, again. Perfect for retirees. Probably won't appeal much to my kids. When we were there they used to open only for the summer, so find out whether it's open on your dates. Another hint: pre book for dinner. If you just turn up in the evening you may find the dining room fully booked and you have to settle with a snack. Wonderful restaurant too. Reminded me of places like the very civilized old style grand hotels that they have dotted around Canada (Banff, Lake Louise, Chateau Frontenac, Chateau Laurier, etc) but on a smaller scale and at somewhat lower prices :greedy