Buying a new wardrobe tomorrow | Indochino or other options?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PlayingLife

Buying a new wardrobe tomorrow | Indochino or other options?

Post by PlayingLife » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:01 pm

New wardrobe needed. I spent two years trying to find the perfect dress shirt for me and am totally sold now on Charles Tyrwhitt, thanks in part to the BH's. Love their perfect blazer too, which is the only other non-shirt item I've purchased from CT. Now I need 1 suit, at least 3 pairs of dress pants, one or two sport coats, and a pair of black shoes. When it comes to the pants, I am looking for dressy business casual, and something that goes well with blazers and sport coats...as opposed to very casual chinos or work pants.

I was feeling pretty good about visiting Indochino in NYC, but their Yelp reviews are scaring the heck out of me. I live an hour out of NYC in NJ and my plan was to get measured, see the fabrics for myself, and order online (tax free). But I am pretty scared to deal with alterations and a much longer wait time than standard 4 weeks - don't want to waste my time going to NY if I don't have to. What do you Inchochino lovers / haters think?
Any other suggestions for my needs?

GmanJeff

Re: Buying a new wardrobe tomorrow | Indochino or other options?

Post by GmanJeff » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:31 pm

I have no personal experience with Indochino but can tell you that expecting everything to be flawless upon taking delivery after a single measuring session may be too optimistic, no matter who you are buying from. When purchasing either fully bespoke or made-to-measure clothing you do want to be able to return for any needed alterations and adjustments which may be necessary. You might be able to have a local tailor do those for you in lieu of returning to NYC, but go in to it knowing you might incur that inconvenience and extra expense.

aspiringlawyer

Post by aspiringlawyer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:47 pm

I’d look at other mtm companies before indochino. They seem to constantly have “sales” and their fabric choices don’t seem to be high quality. I’ve tried Oliver wicks twice and have been amazed at quality and fit. You’re unlikely to get a perfect fit the first time but they even pay for alterations or remake the suit.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 am

You might consider Suitsupply. I bought a suit at their SF location and was super happy with the experience. Their Battery Park NYC store has 5 stars on Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/suitsupply-new-york-4

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:42 am

I live in NYC.

I used the Indochino shop to get a suit a couple years back. The end result was misshapen and clingy in all the wrong ways. Some people like it... but the tailor was inexperienced at best, the process took forever (lots of shipping and manufacturing time), and the overall quality was inferior to most of my off-the-rack suits.

In your shoes, I would recommend suit supply. They have suits at several price points, good customer service, and they will do tailoring in house. It was definitely the best experiences I’ve had buying a suit in New York.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:17 am

Thanks for the thread... I was considering Indochino as well, but hadn’t thought to ask here.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:40 am

Last suit I bought was from SuitSupply's Chicago store. Sharp, good quality suit for the price. They have locations near you - check them out.

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/stores?countryCode=US

Chicago store provided onsite alterations and shipped back to me when done.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Afty wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 am
You might consider Suitsupply. I bought a suit at their SF location and was super happy with the experience. Their Battery Park NYC store has 5 stars on Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/suitsupply-new-york-4
I purchased a new suit here today, thank you very much for the recommendation (and thanks to others who responded with advice on SS). I did not go custom but instead found a perfect fitting Havana suit off the wrack...waiting on the trousers by mail and will go back to get them hemmed and have the suit double checked in a week or two. Thanks again!

buzzbuzzbuzz

Post by buzzbuzzbuzz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 pm

I have suits from both Indochino and Suit Supply. Suit Supply is better quality and fit (you'll pay a bit extra, but worth it).

Was not happy with the initial Indochino suit and required a couple other fittings to get it right.

ThreeBears

Post by ThreeBears » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:37 pm

I would not recommend buying a tailor made suit in the US. Period.

Why not take a lovely vacation to Hoi An, Vietnam?

They are known for making great suits.

Bebe ClothShop is what i'd personally recommend.

Also, the beaches there are lovely.