Opinions on Azek vs. composite (Trex/Timbertech)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Casper

Opinions on Azek vs. composite (Trex/Timbertech)?

Post by Casper »

Replacing our pressure-treated deck with either composite (Trex or TimberTech) or Azek, and welcome any opinions from Bogleheads who've installed either in the last couple of years. We hadn't been considering Azek because of the supposed cost, but received a very reasonable quote (for the Azek "Vintage" line) and are taking another look at it.

For context, we're in the Philadelphia area and the deck is southeast facing without any shade, so it gets beat by the sun. I know every material will fade, but am interested in any experience with Azek or TimberTech/Trex in sun-drenched areas.

Mainly would like to hear from people with recent experience, as I know these products have changed quite a bit in the last few years.

Regardless of whether you chose composite or Azek--would you do it again? Pros and cons? What did you wish you knew beforehand?
Malvern

Re: Opinions on Azek vs. composite (Trex/Timbertech)?

Post by Malvern »

We're near Philly too and I built a deck using Azek around 10 years ago. I don't know what it costs now, but at the time I paid $4 per linear foot for gray. I used the cortex system to fasten the boards but would probably choose a different fastener if doing it again. I was pleased with Azek and would do it again. Minimal fade and wasn't too hot in the summer with bare feet. Cleaned it once a year.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

We put in a new Trex deck last summer. Still looks new through a mild winter (just a few snow/ice events). One thing we found was the Trex deck in sunlight gets very hot, so you can't walk barefoot on it.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

At least 12 years on our Trex deck under the Northern Arizona sun and snow. We have it on 3 large decks complete with pickets and railings. I have noticed that over time the weather side deck surface is not as smooth as it used to be. Sort of rough texture now. I don't know if it is the elements. Something to compare to other brands in your research.
Otherwise, it's held up very well.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dpm321

Post by dpm321 »

I've done several decks with Azek. It's a much better product than the composites; it doesn't stain and decompose. On the cons side, it gets very hot in direct sunlight and it is not as stiff as other material, so on a standard joist spacing you will get some bouncing. I use 12 inch joist spacing with Azek which increases the total cost slightly, but it makes for a very stiff surface.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

We did a kitchen porch with Azek with a southside exposure, and are very pleased with the results.

At the time, DH was unhappy because while they did have railings, there was no kit for stair railing and a gate - so he had to fabricate it himself. No idea if they've added that in recent years as an option.
keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy »

Take a look at Veka decking. Made in PA. I built a big deck out of it 10 years ago and was worth every penny. I would stay away from composites like Trex.
LucyB

Post by LucyB »

We had a 2000 product Trex deck for 16 years that didn’t wear that well, but maybe that is the expected life. It had wood joists that deteriorated and the Trex held water. We replaced it about 24 months ago with the Trex Transcends hidden fastener system over the powder coated metal Trex Elevations framing system. We live in Colorado with extreme heat and cold and blizzard and heavy snows. Our deck is elevated with a walkout basement below. It was a big project to install but looks beautiful and still looks new. The framing is very nice and we hope/think it will last. Hope that helps.
The above comments are merely an expression of personal opinion and should not be considered advice in any form—tax, legal, financial or otherwise.
dpm321

Post by dpm321 »

Sandi_k wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm We did a kitchen porch with Azek with a southside exposure, and are very pleased with the results.

At the time, DH was unhappy because while they did have railings, there was no kit for stair railing and a gate - so he had to fabricate it himself. No idea if they've added that in recent years as an option.
Azek has a full range of matching posts, railings and moldings.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

dpm321 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:36 pm
Sandi_k wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm We did a kitchen porch with Azek with a southside exposure, and are very pleased with the results.

Azek has a full range of matching posts, railings and moldings.
But do they have GATES and railings that correspond with stairs? He had to do miter cuts to angle the railing down the staircase, since they didn't have it available as a kit at the time.
enjoyinglife

Post by enjoyinglife »

I'm in the Philly area also. About 7 years ago we redecked with a vinyl product called “Gorilla Deck” (http://www.ranchlifeplastics.com/decking/gorilla-deck) at about $5 s/f (material only). We're very happy with the choice. It's very easy to keep clean & provides dry space under the deck for storage.

The biggest reason for the choice as that it remains cool in the hot sun which was inportant to us as our deck leads to the pool & people are constantly in bare feet when walking on the deck. Composites can get very hot.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

We installed a Timbertech deck about 9 years ago and we are also in the Philadelphia area. Our deck faces East, so we get sun only in the morning hours. On a sunny day in the summer, the surface of the deck can get hot, but that is solved by not going barefoot and by having a large umbrella. The only maintenance we do is to power wash the deck and railings each May. The white railings tend to get some discoloration over the winter, but the power washing takes it away easily.
cody69

Post by cody69 »

We put down a large deck and covered it with Azek in 2011.
We're not too far away from you -- 50 miles or so-- here's my take:

The good:
+ looks great. we used a two tone design with field and accent borders that looks sharp
+ like yours, the deck is fully exposed to sun on the south side of house, and the decking never gets hot to walk on bare foot
+ it doesn't show any wear and other than slight fading, looks new

The not so good:
+ there has been some fading/lightening over the years, and as you said this occurs with all products
+ sun tan lotion, grease spills and such created some staining. called Azek and they recommended a product that cleaned and revitalized it and completely took care of the stains. the revitalizer makes the decking look brand new which I like, so may apply every other year or so
+ if had to do over, I would use Azek again, but would space the joists closer together to eliminate any flex that occurs when you walk on it. Most would never notice, but I notice slight flexing

Good luck to you.
Topic Author
Casper

Post by Casper »

OP here. We ended up choosing TimberTech. We liked Azek a lot, and were surprised (after hearing how expensive it is) to get a quote for an Azek deck that was almost the same price as another contractor's quote for TimberTech. But when it came time to choose a contractor, we felt more comfortable with the guy who suggested TT, just based on his portfolio and experience.

For anyone who's interested, we're using TimberTech "Legacy" in the tigerwood finish, with the Evolutions Rail Builder railing.

The quote to demo our existing pressure treated deck and build a new 25x16 TimberTech deck was $20,100 (plus permits). That's about what we were expecting. The Azek quote from the other contractor was $20,700. With how much we use our deck, it'll be worth every penny, and I can't wait until it's done.