Stephen Hawking - how would he have fared in America

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
UKFred

Stephen Hawking - how would he have fared in America

Post by UKFred » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:19 am

One of the most brilliant minds of all time, the physicist Stephen Hawking, died earlier this week. He was in his early twenties when he was diagnosed with ALS, the progressive motor neurone disease that crippled him and eventually left him unable to move anything except a finger and his eyelids.

He was cared for by the British National Health Service for free. I am not interested in the politics, but how would a person of normal means in his situation have fared if he was in the US?

AlohaJoe

Re: Stephen Hawking - how would he have fared in America

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:31 am

This doesn't seem related to investing in any way; there are probably better forums on the Internet to ask this kind of question. I recommend you check out Reddit, which likely has a forum that would be a good place to ask this.

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:05 am

In before the lock.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

UKFred

Post by UKFred » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:21 am

Agreed, it’s only tangentially related to investing. I only asked here because I am not on any other American forum and there is a lot of interesting discussion here related to healthcare and long term care with regards to retirement.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:39 am

This thread will shortly be deleted.

It's far too political and off topic for this Forum.

VinhoVerde

Post by VinhoVerde » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:47 am

I'm sure there is some way to notify the moderators when someone is posting polically motivated material but I can't readily find it. This would be a good time for them to relay this information.
This is the second time in the last month I've come across this type of thing.
VinhoVerde

djheini

Post by djheini » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:17 am

VinhoVerde wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:47 am
I'm sure there is some way to notify the moderators when someone is posting polically motivated material but I can't readily find it. This would be a good time for them to relay this information.
This is the second time in the last month I've come across this type of thing.
VinhoVerde
There's an exclamation mark button right next to the quote button on a post. Clicking that reports a post to moderators.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:26 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:31 am
This doesn't seem related to investing in any way;
many threads pop up that fit that billing. Example: Laughter is the Best Medicine - What makes you Laugh?

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:49 am

To make this actionable, the question would be, "how does a person in the U.S. with an expensive chronic condition obtain health coverage?" Four answers come to mind.

1. If you are disabled (within certain definitions) for at least 2 years, you may qualify for Medicare before age 65.

2. If your income (and in some cases your assets) are low, you may qualify for Medicaid.

3. If you are employed or a student, you may get coverage through your employer or university.

4. In other cases, you may be able to purchase an individual policy under the Affordable Care Act (with an available subsidy if your income is below a certain level).

prudent

Post by prudent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:46 am

Topic is locked, hypothetical and not actionable.