Shampoo for silver/grey hair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Determined

Shampoo for silver/grey hair

Post by Determined »

I am looking for a different shampoo for my natural silver/grey hair. I stopped coloring it eight years ago at age 40. I have used Jhirmack Distinctions Silver Plus and most recently used Klorane. That was a splurge for me. I don't spend much on beauy products of any kind. I am only looking for shampoos, because conditioners weigh my hair down.

I have no issues with what I have previously used. Just looking for some suggestions. The online articles are all over the place.
KlangFool

Re: Shampoo for silver/grey hair

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

I switch to store brand goat milk soap from the whole food market. It works a lot better than Jason Shampoo and conditioner combination.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Personally, I've been told to reduce my hair washing to a couple of times a week.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Shampoo is basically the same as dish detergent. Decades ago Consumer Reports did a story where they handed out to testers in unlabeled bottles various types of expensive and cheap shampoo, as well as dish detergent (e.g., Joy). As I recall the testers were equally pleased with all the options. This information has been doubly useful: not only were we able to give up expensive shampoos (we usually buy Suave, often $1.50 per bottle), but when needing to wash dishes in a hotel room without detergent, we knew we could always make use of the little bottles of shampoo. The common idea that $40 bottles of shampoo from a salon are better than cheap supermarket shampoo is a triumph of marketing.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I use Biotene H-24 Natural Shampoo. I have to buy it online, as it is not sold in stores near me. A bottle costs about $7, but it literally lasts months at my two shampoos a week rate, as it is very concentrated.

I rarely have to condition my hair since I stopped dyeing it, but when I do, I use their matching label conditioner.

My hair is almost all white, and I have no yellowing.
Topic Author
Determined

Post by Determined »

It's definitely about the yellowing. A few years ago I stopped using the Jhirmack, and I got a lot of yellow which I cleared up with vinegar.

I had not heard of goat milk soap. I will probably choose something realtively inexpensive again, even though the Klorane lasted over a year with one or two uses a week.
mss

Post by mss »

I have a suggestion for you. I use a generic version of the Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo from Sally Beauty supply. I just use it occasionally and it works great to get rid of the yellow and it is only $10.99 for a liter.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/gvp-conditi ... ic&start=1

Mark
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Has anyone tried purple shampoo? The idea is that it cancels out the yellow pigment of creme-type shampoos and other hair products by adding blue pigment. Is this the infamous blue rinse?

Did the vinegar rinse work well?

I have a lot of gray but still mostly brown. Now it has a reddish cast, probably from combination of brown and shampoo-pigmented gray. I did not realize all this until I had cataract surgery recently. The good news is that my teeth are still white, not as yellowed as I thought. It was the yellow of my cataracts that tinted everything. That reddish cast to my hair has lessened with lens implants. It's still there a little bit.

I'm still using Redken All-Soft products. They are far better for dry, fine hair than the Pantene I used most of my life simply because it dominated the supermarket shelves.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Following this thread with intense interest...

My hair color is of natural brunette, never dyed once in my life. After shielding my scalp for over 6 decades, it is now turning yellowish all over. I was just about to do some research on this and here other posters mentioning "yellowing". That triggered my interest.
Christine_NM wrote:...Did the vinegar rinse work well?...
Yeah how about it? Please do tell.
mss

Post by mss »

Has anyone tried purple shampoo? The idea is that it cancels out the yellow pigment of creme-type shampoos and other hair products by adding blue pigment. Is this the infamous blue rinse?
The Sally Beauty shampoo that I mentioned above is "purple shampoo".
annielouise

Post by annielouise »

We use Trader Joe's tea tree oil shampoo. I originally bought it because my scalp was always itchy (possibly due to additives in most shampoos) and it greatly improved that issue. My husband's silver hair always looks great and my strands of gray have actually received compliments. It is an inexpensive option to try.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Christine_NM wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:50 am Has anyone tried purple shampoo? The idea is that it cancels out the yellow pigment of creme-type shampoos and other hair products by adding blue pigment. Is this the infamous blue rinse?
Yep.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Ah. Thanks, littlebird, good to know. Guess I'll pass on the purple shampoo.

I like TJ's tea tree oil shampoo for a hand soap. Nicer feeling and smelling than the tea tree body wash.
Last edited by Christine_NM on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have been using this:

https://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/eo ... ttle-32-oz

Mild and pleasant non smell.
Jelloanddon

Post by Jelloanddon »

Christine_NM wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:50 am Has anyone tried purple shampoo? The idea is that it cancels out the yellow pigment of creme-type shampoos and other hair products by adding blue pigment. Is this the infamous blue rinse
I use a purple shampoo- it isn’t a blue rinse. Blue rinse is actually a diluted hair dye: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... rinse.html

I am an Asian female who decided to stop coloring my hair after 20+ years. Took 2 years for all the dye to grow out. Most horrible 2 years of my life. My hair is not completely gray yet - probably 60% but I do use a purple shampoo (Amika) from Sephora. Not cheap but my whites are very bright. After I dry and style my hair, I spritz on Brilliant from Aveda. It really puts shine on my hair and not the greasy, slick kind.

I compare my hair to other women growing their gray out and I think mine looks better and I figure it’s what I’m using.
Topic Author
Determined

Post by Determined »

Yes. The vinegar took out the yellow. I haven't needed to use it since want back to using a shampoo for grey hair. I only use them once or twice a week. The Jhirmack I used is purple, but I never had a blue tint. The Klorane doesn't lather much. I use a small amount and work it ion my scalp.
Topic Author
Determined

Post by Determined »

I bought Jhirmack Brightening Silver Plus. It's a little different than the kind I had before. I will be using it once or twice a week and will be watching for dryness. It seems bright and shiny today.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I've been using Renpure conditioning cleanser on both my hair and beard. Put it in first, then let it sit while I'm showering. Then rinse it out completely. I use the Rosemary/Mint version because I like the smell and the formulation is white. No yellowing that I've seen. Then once a week the hair and beard get a full shampoo treatment. For the beard I use a beard soap and for the hair I use a tea tree oil shampoo. Sometimes for both I'll use grandpa's pine tar soap. In any event, even on days that I use shampoo, I still follow it up immediately with the Renpure.