My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater »

wasp09 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm It was posted inside this Chinese article:

http://www.sohu.com/a/235990048_452983

It said recall was done May 28. Owner found oil still increased and gas smell was still there after driving 500km. The complaint was made on June 7. Location was Canton, tropical climate.
My Chinese us a little rusty, so I'll take your word for it. :)
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Finally got this response to my case from Honda Customer Service. Sounds overwhelmingly reassuring, doesn't it? This has to be one of the longest investigations in the history of investigations so far. Woulda, shoulda, coulda maybe.
At this time, we are currently investigating this concern and developing a fix. This should be available mid-November. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:44 pm Finally got this response to my case from Honda Customer Service. Sounds overwhelmingly reassuring, doesn't it? This has to be one of the longest investigations in the history of investigations so far. Woulda, shoulda, coulda maybe.
At this time, we are currently investigating this concern and developing a fix. This should be available mid-November. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
When they said mid November did it also say in which year?
wasp09

Post by wasp09 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:20 pm
Lack of heat? What is this issue? Did I miss something in this 11 page thread?
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR- ... erly.shtml

CRV with 1.5T engine won't warm up idling on the driveway. Remote starting and idling would result in dilution. Don't :oops:
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Georgia Lawsuit Wants a Recall for Honda’s Oil Dilution Problems
According to the lawsuit, [2015-2018] Accord, Civic and CR-V owners are not told how the engine oil dilutes with the gasoline due to fuel entering the crankcases. The resulting fuel/oil dilution allegedly reduces the ability of the oil to lubricate the engines, causing premature wear and engine damage.

The scope of the lawsuit is currently limited to Georgia, but it could have national implications for this growing international problem.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... uit.shtml

For those who are wondering, the plaintiff owns a Civic with the 1.5T engine, not a CRV. So --- avoid those too.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Seems to me that Honda is vulnerable to CRV lawsuit on at least two counts:

1) knowingly selling vehicles with a serious defect, as evidenced by the fact that 350,000 CRVs were recalled in China in early 2017 and numerous complaints filed in Canada and in the U.S. beginning in early 2017.

2) failing to acknowledge and to attempt to remedy the defect in the U.S. and Canada, saying that they were "investigating" the issue.

In my opinion, Honda's "investigation" excuse is simply a cover. What was actually going on was that Honda was waiting to see how many complaints and how widespread the complaints would become over this issue, and how expensive it would be to address these vs. the cost of re-engineering their defective engine and issuing a recall. They think we're all idiots.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Honda's solution appears Unclear
An engine problem has some owners of 2017-18 Honda CR-Vs complaining, and regulators have yet to launch an investigation into the problem. Honda claims it will have a solution available in November for 2017-18 models and plans to remedy model-year 2019 cars from the factory, but the automaker stopped short of saying it would issue a recall.

It's unclear if Honda's solution will involve a full recall or a more limited service campaign for owners with the 2017-18 CR-V with the 1.5-liter engine.

"That is definitely one of the things we'll be watching," Plungis said. "Is this a fix for everyone, or just a small subset of vehicles? Is it something that Honda is going to publicize so CR-V owners know that it's out there and available for them, or are [owners] going to have to ask for it - to know the secret code when they go into the dealer? And is it going to be free?"

For now, that remains unclear.
https://www.cars.com/articles/fix-comin ... 03180990/

My bets are:

> the arrival of the "fix" is uncertain - Honda still states that it is "investigating" and "hopes" to provide a fix in mid-November
> the "fix", if it arrives, will be aimed at a subset of defective vehicles: those experiencing oil dilution in very cold weather startups and short trips. It will do nothing for vehicles experiencing oil dilution in general driving conditions, warm weather environments, etc.
> there will be no vehicle recall - forget about that.
> there will no notification pushed to CRV owners - you'll have to know that you have the problem and take your vehicle to a dealer to complain. Even so, you are likely to have to tell the dealer that you know a fix is available and ask for it.

Let's see how many of my bets are correct when November has come and gone.
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

CU...I saw this posted on the CRV Owners Club see below, indicates it is from a Canadian dealer, perhaps Honda USA will do the same, more of an FYI.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... turbo.html

I just received this email from my local dealership.

“We have just received word from Honda Canada that a countermeasure will be coming out effective November 2018 to correct the oil dilution concerns for 2017-2018 Honda CRV’s. The countermeasure will include updates to the PGM-FI (programmed fuel injection) and CVT control software, as well as replacement of the climate control unit. In addition, Honda Canada will provide a warranty extension on certain engine components for up to 6 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit.
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand »

CR has now a video discussion on the oil dilution issue to go along with their previous report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqzZm5j1Bl8
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

TLC1957 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:14 am CU...I saw this posted on the CRV Owners Club see below, indicates it is from a Canadian dealer, perhaps Honda USA will do the same, more of an FYI.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... turbo.html

I just received this email from my local dealership.

“We have just received word from Honda Canada that a countermeasure will be coming out effective November 2018 to correct the oil dilution concerns for 2017-2018 Honda CRV’s. The countermeasure will include updates to the PGM-FI (programmed fuel injection) and CVT control software, as well as replacement of the climate control unit. In addition, Honda Canada will provide a warranty extension on certain engine components for up to 6 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit.
Thanks. Angers me because not only has my dealer not reached out to me, but I get stonewalled when I go in to talk to them about the issue and getting the fix. I'll probably initiate a Lemon Law claim with them. Maybe that will get their attention.

The fix being offered in Canada sounds exactly like what Honda agreed to do in China. It's targeted at cold weather/short drive oil dilution. Will it help other owners like me? I'm skeptical.
daren12

Post by daren12 »

Just curious, does anyone have a rough estimate the number of customers impacted by the Earth Dream 1.5 L Turbo (own the 2017, 2018 Turbo engine)? Also anyone know will there be a priority on order of deploying the fix (i.e. will Honda be working with with opened cases, then moving on to "closed then-reopened" and finally closed when s/b open? p.s. Honda (both dealership and Customer Service) indicating very few customers impacted by issue :D Thanks
daren12

Post by daren12 »

Sorry if my laughing face implied disrespect to any of poor consumers impacted by this mess. I'm as angry as everyone else and searching for answers. The various State Attorney generals (all 50) including BB s/b angry for the thousands of consumers impacted --including me. Think this story deserves to be told on a national level including 60 minutes! I'm compiling a list of Honda Cast of Players or glossary of terms as still trying to understand it all
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Yesterday, I drove the CRV for about 20-30 minutes and parked. I noticed quite a trail of water drops on the pavement behind both of the exhaust pipes for about 2-3 feet and then noticed that there was actually water pooled in the ends of the exhaust pipes as well. Never seen this before. What do you make of it?
sciencenerd

Post by sciencenerd »

I have a 2018 CRV with the 2.4 L engine. I guess there is no strong evidence that it is affected by the issue?

In any case, I did an oil level check yesterday, roughly 1000 miles after our first oil change. The oil level was at about the 1/4 level mark between empty and full. I didn't notice any gas smell. The question is: Would Honda actually "underfill" during an oil change, as to make it take longer for the oil level to reach over-full level and, thus, cause less complaints? Did anyone ever check their oil level right after a change?
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

sciencenerd wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:53 am I have a 2018 CRV with the 2.4 L engine. I guess there is no strong evidence that it is affected by the issue?

In any case, I did an oil level check yesterday, roughly 1000 miles after our first oil change. The oil level was at about the 1/4 level mark between empty and full. I didn't notice any gas smell. The question is: Would Honda actually "underfill" during an oil change, as to make it take longer for the oil level to reach over-full level and, thus, cause less complaints? Did anyone ever check their oil level right after a change?
Yes I checked the oil level after the Honda dealer changed the oil in the 1.5 L engine in my 2017 Touring CRV and it was overfilled :oops: I went back and had them change the oil to the correct amount, I spoke to the person changing the oil and he said that was the amount of oil he always uses and was not aware of the 2 engines require a different amount of oil. :annoyed Then I got to thinking changing oil is most likely the lowest level of experience in the repair shop. So yes you should check the oil level in the parking lot of the dealer so you can bring it back around and have it changed again. :mrgreen:
2017HatchCivic

Post by 2017HatchCivic »

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback 1.5T. Love the car but I have had this issue since new. 1000km after an oil change my oil level rises just above the orange dipstick indicator(roughly 1 inch above full). My daily commute is 225km to work round trip roughly 110kmh. I’ve always used good quality 0w20 and PetroCanada gas. I never idle my car except the Tim Hortons drive through. I do not have a block heater. I have performed oil analysis on 2 oil changed and soon a third and have found very high levels of fuel dilution. Neithless to say I have noticed online while doing research that this issue happens in short drives or light engine load factors. I do believe this is due to engine fuel injection timing but I also believe that this engine has been designed so efficient that it does have a hard time raising coolant and most importantly oil temperatures to burn and evaporate contaminant if driven lightly. I did notice that my engine oil would rise quickly and stabilize after 1500km. I decided to experiment since Honda Canada did nothing to indicated they had any plan on fixing this issue. Since my engine oil level would raise roughly one inch above the full mark, I decided to raise the engine oil level one quart on my last oil change. This brough my engine oil level just above the orange indicator. I am at 15,000km on this oil change and my oil level has not raised one bit for the first time in two years. I will soon sample this interval to confirm this. I have 106,000km on this 1.5T and have not had any other issues. Wear metals in my oil samples have been very low also. I have found a good engine animation from Honda that shows oil level above full in relation to height inside the engine. Even with 1 litre added to the oil pan the engine oil isn’t close to the crank seal indication the oil sump is deep on this engine. Just some food for through if Honda decides to neglect the civic owners. What I have done is clearly not a fix but it does seem to raise crank case pressure/temperature and evacuate contaminants or thoery number 2 the crank weights are just starting to touch the oil at this level causing more oil spray on the cylinder walls and a slide drag on the engine cause more heat. Currently at 30% oil life so I will have an oil sample soon to confirm it has helped my viscosity/fuel dilution problem.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

2017HatchCivic wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:00 pm Hello Everyone,

I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback 1.5T. Love the car but I have had this issue since new. 1000km after an oil change my oil level rises just above the orange dipstick indicator(roughly 1 inch above full). My daily commute is 225km to work round trip roughly 110kmh. I’ve always used good quality 0w20 and PetroCanada gas. I never idle my car except the Tim Hortons drive through. I do not have a block heater. I have performed oil analysis on 2 oil changed and soon a third and have found very high levels of fuel dilution. Neithless to say I have noticed online while doing research that this issue happens in short drives or light engine load factors. I do believe this is due to engine fuel injection timing but I also believe that this engine has been designed so efficient that it does have a hard time raising coolant and most importantly oil temperatures to burn and evaporate contaminant if driven lightly. I did notice that my engine oil would rise quickly and stabilize after 1500km. I decided to experiment since Honda Canada did nothing to indicated they had any plan on fixing this issue. Since my engine oil level would raise roughly one inch above the full mark, I decided to raise the engine oil level one quart on my last oil change. This brough my engine oil level just above the orange indicator. I am at 15,000km on this oil change and my oil level has not raised one bit for the first time in two years. I will soon sample this interval to confirm this. I have 106,000km on this 1.5T and have not had any other issues. Wear metals in my oil samples have been very low also. I have found a good engine animation from Honda that shows oil level above full in relation to height inside the engine. Even with 1 litre added to the oil pan the engine oil isn’t close to the crank seal indication the oil sump is deep on this engine. Just some food for through if Honda decides to neglect the civic owners. What I have done is clearly not a fix but it does seem to raise crank case pressure/temperature and evacuate contaminants or thoery number 2 the crank weights are just starting to touch the oil at this level causing more oil spray on the cylinder walls and a slide drag on the engine cause more heat. Currently at 30% oil life so I will have an oil sample soon to confirm it has helped my viscosity/fuel dilution problem.
Sorry for your troubles with the Civic. All the attention has been going to the CRV with the 1.5 engine and hope that Honda is going to offer a remedy to Civic owners as well. Results of your experiment are unbelievable - adding extra oil to solve the rising oil level problem! We can now add another folk remedy to the collection including using Premium grade fuel. Maybe we should try dancing around the vehicle on a night with a full moon waving incense. This is what Honda has reduced us to. Please report the results of your oil analysis to see if the numbers look better on fuel dilution / viscosity.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm curious. Has anyone seen thermostat changes to raise the opening temp, say 10 degrees F as a way to increase operating temperature, and maybe evaporate more gas through the PCV? This came to mind, seeing that a theory on what's going on is that the engine isn't coming up high enough in temp.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
2017HatchCivic

Post by 2017HatchCivic »

I also would believe that this would not fix the issue but it would definitely help moisture and fuel contamination evaporate. I have looked for different thermostat opening temps but I did not find any online. I believe the OEM opening temp is 178F. If anyone knows for sure please correct me if I’m wrong.
daren12

Post by daren12 »

Sorry if I come across as a Debbie Downer (neurotic) but discussing recently with an individual (who works in area consumer arbitration at the state level) agrees that any legal action including arbitration may and could end up negatively impact future Honda Case resolutions (close case and put at end of queue for fix) and including Honda dealership relationship (i.e. oil changes and future services --including warranty work). Does anyone know of any consumer protection mechanisms in place for individuals seeking resolution and possible arbitration?

The reason I ask is because I'm starting to feel the heat from Honda's Legal Team by way of the pattern of treatment and verbiage coming from customer service! On a side note --Too bad Honda resources :moneybag being used for denial/ delay tactics and not enough fixing and repairing vehicles. More important--- customer relationships. Many loyal customers (because of past great products) will never go back :annoyed
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

Well it is official in Canada they have a fix for the oil gas problem , how long will it take for the Honda USA to also acknowledge the problem and provide a fix?

http://hondanews.ca/en/news/release/Sta ... a-Vehicles

Statement Regarding Irregularly High Oil Levels in Certain Honda Vehicles

Honda has received some reports in Canada of irregularly high oil levels in certain Honda vehicles equipped with 1.5L turbo engines. Honda has completed an investigation into this matter and a countermeasure is now available for 2017-18 Honda CR-V vehicles, which Honda plans to roll out to affected customers by mid-November 2018. At this time, Honda has no reason to believe that this potential issue affects the safe operation of a vehicle or results in any regulatory non-compliance. In addition, to better ensure customer confidence, Honda Canada is providing a warranty extension on certain engine components for up to six years from the original date of purchase, with no mileage limit. We encourage customers with concerns about their vehicle to visit their nearest Honda dealer to have their vehicle inspected.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

TLC1957 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:43 am Well it is official in Canada they have a fix for the oil gas problem , how long will it take for the Honda USA to also acknowledge the problem and provide a fix?

http://hondanews.ca/en/news/release/Sta ... a-Vehicles

Statement Regarding Irregularly High Oil Levels in Certain Honda Vehicles

Honda has received some reports in Canada of irregularly high oil levels in certain Honda vehicles equipped with 1.5L turbo engines. Honda has completed an investigation into this matter and a countermeasure is now available for 2017-18 Honda CR-V vehicles, which Honda plans to roll out to affected customers by mid-November 2018. At this time, Honda has no reason to believe that this potential issue affects the safe operation of a vehicle or results in any regulatory non-compliance. In addition, to better ensure customer confidence, Honda Canada is providing a warranty extension on certain engine components for up to six years from the original date of purchase, with no mileage limit. We encourage customers with concerns about their vehicle to visit their nearest Honda dealer to have their vehicle inspected.
That sounds exactly like what has been promised for U.S. vehicles. Wonder why we haven't seen anything yet? Perhaps it is forthcoming. As I expected, owners will have to show up at the dealer on their own initiative and ask for the fix. It sounds like they'll check the vehicle's oil level to validate, so you'll need to go in when the level is too high or pour a little extra oil in the crankcase (or maybe some gas!) if you've just gotten an oil change (as I have) and you're waiting for the oil level to go high again. They're not automatically going to fun the fix for everybody, it sounds like.
tapotti

Post by tapotti »

If you are interested, below is a link to a recent Consumer Reports podcast where they talk about the CRV for about the first 7 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqzZm5j1Bl8&t=550s

I just had my oil change done today, at 8800 miles. The mechanic literally wrote out the following on my report:

Oil had the consistency of water and smelled of gas. Oil registered as overfilled. There is also a leak of the rear main seal area. Recommend inspection by Honda for known oil dilution issue.

Most important takeaway: check your oil. If you have a problem, open a case with Honda corporate, and post a complaint on the various sites (carcomplaints, NHTSA, etc.).
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

tapotti wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:22 pm If you are interested, below is a link to a recent Consumer Reports podcast where they talk about the CRV for about the first 7 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqzZm5j1Bl8&t=550s

I just had my oil change done today, at 8800 miles. The mechanic literally wrote out the following on my report:

Oil had the consistency of water and smelled of gas. Oil registered as overfilled. There is also a leak of the rear main seal area. Recommend inspection by Honda for known oil dilution issue.

Most important takeaway: check your oil. If you have a problem, open a case with Honda corporate, and post a complaint on the various sites (carcomplaints, NHTSA, etc.).
Sounds like you must have gone to an independent mechanic. I can't imagine a Honda mechanic being so candid about the condition of your vehicle. I did take mine to an independent mechanic I trust early on and he remarked at the fuel smell of the oil, but I didn't think to have him write me up a report at the time. Would have been a good idea but I figured Honda would blow it off anyway. Couldn't get anywhere with them at the time. When I observe the oil level back up again, I think I'll do that before hauling it into Honda for an "inspection."
tapotti

Post by tapotti »

Yes, it was an independent mechanic. They specialize in Honda and Toyota. They said some other customers were also asking them about the issue.

But today, they were just shocked at how my oil looked. I requested they document what they found. Of note, they said that almost every newer CRV they serviced also had an oil leak coming from the rear main seal area. Not sure what the significance of that is. I opened a case with Honda corporate today. The representative was pleasant enough but didn't give me any confidence that there is a fix soon to come.

The mechanic said that he's had good experiences with Honda in the past when problems arose, and he believes that they will step up and fix this problem. Not sure I share his enthusiasm...
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

tapotti wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:35 pm Yes, it was an independent mechanic. They specialize in Honda and Toyota. They said some other customers were also asking them about the issue.

But today, they were just shocked at how my oil looked. I requested they document what they found. Of note, they said that almost every newer CRV they serviced also had an oil leak coming from the rear main seal area. Not sure what the significance of that is. I opened a case with Honda corporate today. The representative was pleasant enough but didn't give me any confidence that there is a fix soon to come.

The mechanic said that he's had good experiences with Honda in the past when problems arose, and he believes that they will step up and fix this problem. Not sure I share his enthusiasm...
What is the rear main seal and what were the symptoms?
tapotti

Post by tapotti »

No symptoms. Just an incidental finding along with the diluted oil.

The rear main seal keeps oil sealed inside the rear of the engine, where the crankshaft connects with the transmission.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

tapotti wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:29 pm No symptoms. Just an incidental finding along with the diluted oil.

The rear main seal keeps oil sealed inside the rear of the engine, where the crankshaft connects with the transmission.
So I wonder if oil that is severely diluted with fuel might have a detrimental effect on the seal and bring about the leak? There is suspected engine damage relating to oil dilution, but I hadn't heard this mentioned as one possibility.
Lugerhead

Post by Lugerhead »

CULater wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:30 pm
tapotti wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:29 pm No symptoms. Just an incidental finding along with the diluted oil.

So I wonder if oil that is severely diluted with fuel might have a detrimental effect on the seal and bring about the leak? There is suspected engine damage relating to oil dilution, but I hadn't heard this mentioned as one possibility.
The crank seal should be above the oil level and seal against splash oil. When the oil level is to high there is no where for the oil to run off the seal so it will leak. Mine was leaking with less than 500 miles on it from the dealer over filling. I drained about a half a quart out at that time and it’s not leaked since or hasn’t been over full since and has 12K miles on it now. The seal should be ok if the oil stays a the proper level.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Lugerhead wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 am

The crank seal should be above the oil level and seal against splash oil. When the oil level is to high there is no where for the oil to run off the seal so it will leak. Mine was leaking with less than 500 miles on it from the dealer over filling. I drained about a half a quart out at that time and it’s not leaked since or hasn’t been over full since and has 12K miles on it now. The seal should be ok if the oil stays a the proper level.
So, it sounds like the crankcase being overfull because of fuel seeping in would raise the fluid level and that might cause leakage around the rear main seal. How can you tell if there is leakage going on - is there fluid under the vehicle?
Lugerhead

Post by Lugerhead »

CULater wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:02 am
Lugerhead wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 am

So, it sounds like the crankcase being overfull because of fuel seeping in would raise the fluid level and that might cause leakage around the rear main seal. How can you tell if there is leakage going on - is there fluid under the vehicle?
That's correct. The leak will be at the rear of the engine where the transmission bolts up. Just look at the rear of the oil pan and if it's leaking you'll see it. There may be oil laying on the little cover panel that you have to remove to change oil.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

The CRV has a plate underneath that has to be removed to gain access to the area where the oil filter and crankcase drain hole are located. I wonder if you can see if there is a rear seal leak without removing that plate? I looked under there and can't see where the rear of the crankcase is, so it might be covered up. I guess you would have to remove that cover to see if there is oil on it.
Lugerhead

Post by Lugerhead »

CULater wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:30 am The CRV has a plate underneath that has to be removed to gain access to the area where the oil filter and crankcase drain hole are located. I wonder if you can see if there is a rear seal leak without removing that plate? I looked under there and can't see where the rear of the crankcase is, so it might be covered up. I guess you would have to remove that cover to see if there is oil on it.
Yes that’s right. Nothing to it, takes a flat and Phillips screw driver. The flat head screws are a half turn and lock screw. The Phillips head screws are regular screws.
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

CULater wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:41 am Yesterday, I drove the CRV for about 20-30 minutes and parked. I noticed quite a trail of water drops on the pavement behind both of the exhaust pipes for about 2-3 feet and then noticed that there was actually water pooled in the ends of the exhaust pipes as well. Never seen this before. What do you make of it?
First really cold morning? Condensation of water vapor which is part of combustion product (oxygen + hydrogen/hydrocarbon = water) hitting chilly exhaust pipes? Should clear up after the pipes get good and hot::::: 20-30 minutes is a little long to be seeing this--more likely expected after,say,5 minutes from cold startup
---or,more ominously,evidence of a leaky head gasket or intake manifold gasket allowing antifreeze coolant to get into where it should never be--in which case there would probably be funny smelling smoke and strange milky appearance developing in the crankcase oil--does the water coming out of the exhaust smell like antifreeze? :x
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Last night was the first night of below freezing temps here and the CRV was parked outside. This morning temps in low 30s. I fired it up and began driving and noticed that the temp gauge didn't budge for a longer time than I expected and not particularly warm air coming out of the vents with temp set to 72. Took much longer for the gauge to start moving and increased slowly. Probably took at least 20 minutes of driving before it rose to the usual level I see it.

I'm thinking this is the kind of behavior that people are experiencing in cold weather -- the engine doesn't heat up very quickly and so doesn't burn off the excess fuel sprayed into the cylinders. This was not particularly cold, so I'd hate to see what it does when it really gets cold outside. I decided to drive it around for awhile with the temperature gauge at normal. If I had just driven a short while and shut it down, the temp gauge would not even have budged but just a little.

Just suggesting that people may want to keep an eye on the temperature gauge when cold weather conditions arrive, especially if vehicle is parked outside and very cold when started up. Could be that if it's cold enough, the temp gauge may never even rise to the normal level that it does in more moderate weather conditions.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Maybe Honda's fix to customer complaints that the oil is showing as overfilled is adding an oil leak.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

CULater wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 am Last night was the first night of below freezing temps here and the CRV was parked outside. This morning temps in low 30s. I fired it up and began driving and noticed that the temp gauge didn't budge for a longer time than I expected and not particularly warm air coming out of the vents with temp set to 72. Took much longer for the gauge to start moving and increased slowly. Probably took at least 20 minutes of driving before it rose to the usual level I see it.

I'm thinking this is the kind of behavior that people are experiencing in cold weather -- the engine doesn't heat up very quickly and so doesn't burn off the excess fuel sprayed into the cylinders. This was not particularly cold, so I'd hate to see what it does when it really gets cold outside. I decided to drive it around for awhile with the temperature gauge at normal. If I had just driven a short while and shut it down, the temp gauge would not even have budged but just a little.

Just suggesting that people may want to keep an eye on the temperature gauge when cold weather conditions arrive, especially if vehicle is parked outside and very cold when started up. Could be that if it's cold enough, the temp gauge may never even rise to the normal level that it does in more moderate weather conditions.
CUL -- been reading your saga for a while.

IMO, that is too long of a heat-up to be considered normal at freezing or somewhat below. Until the engine is warmed up, the engine controls will run the engine rich ( extra fuel ). For example, with our recent 45 degrees mornings here in SillyCone Valley, my 96 Civic has been reaching it's indicated full operating temp in less that 2 miles while the heater is on full blast.

Adding to that, engines with Direct Injection, especially those that are turbo-charge, tend to suffer from build-up in the stem side intake valves from crankcase ventilation vapors, so they tend be designed to draw less air through the crankcase to minimize the buildup. In port injection engines, the detergents in the gas keep the valves clean, so having more air & vapor draw is not detrimental. This flow is what removes the gas, water condensation, and other vapors from the crankcase. Since all these bad contaminates don't vaporize out of the oil until the oil is hot, very cold weather, short drive trips, or anything that prevents the engine from quickly reaching normal operating temps is undesirable.

If your vehicle is still under factory warranty, I suggest you take it in to the dealer with a single complaint of slow warm-up. If not under warranty, take it to a local shop. This should get them looking at the thermostat system. Note that thermostats are much to likely to fail by not fully closing ( slow warm-up ) that to be stuck shut ( over-heat ). For the DIY'ers out there, its not a hard job to change the thermostat on most cars, but there can be some model unique quirks about burping the air out of the coolant afterwards.

Getting to a normal temp quicker may not solve the gas dilution/oil level issue, but it will help.

As for your drips out of the tail-pipe -- The combustion and Catalytic processes convert fuel to water and CO2. Until the tailpipe temp reaches at least 212 degrees, there will be water droplets in the exhaust stream. The water does accumulate in a cold muffler, but 20 minutes does seem a long purge time for around 30 degree temps.
daren12

Post by daren12 »

Helo80 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:07 pm
divenutny wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:31 pm Folks,
I want to Thank You for sharing this issue. I had a down payment on a CRV EX-L when I finally noticed this issue on your site any other sites. I cancelled the order. I live in NY, the dealership is claiming they had no clue of this issue, which I am finding a bit hard to believe. I have a big challenge trying to understand why Honda has not provided a better answer.

Knowing nothing about your Honda dealership, my honest opinion is that your Honda dealership is likely telling the truth (at least the salesman and/or Sales Manager). This is not to denigrate the car salesman profession, but rather I doubt a new car salesman is always in tune with the service advisors and ASE mechanics in the back. Different department, different social groups, different concerns.
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

I would agree with this assessment. Last Friday afternoon (Oct. 19th, 2018 ) called a Honda dealership in the Phoenix Arizona area (where we spend the winter). The salesman hadn't heard of issue and completely unaware of consumer reports article - Oct. 5th. He is still enthusiastically recommending the 2018 CR-V with the Earth Dreams 1.5 L Turbo (citing the various great rating this vehicle has received --including Consumer Reports). The sales manager (same dealership) only vaguely interested in my story with Earth Dream engine and wondering why I didn't discuss with service. When transferred to the service department, the head of service admitted knew of one other person (friend) that has same issue as me(complaint). Wow. Hard to believe!
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

daren12 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:16 pm
Helo80 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:07 pm
divenutny wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:31 pm Folks,
I want to Thank You for sharing this issue. I had a down payment on a CRV EX-L when I finally noticed this issue on your site any other sites. I cancelled the order. I live in NY, the dealership is claiming they had no clue of this issue, which I am finding a bit hard to believe. I have a big challenge trying to understand why Honda has not provided a better answer.

Knowing nothing about your Honda dealership, my honest opinion is that your Honda dealership is likely telling the truth (at least the salesman and/or Sales Manager). This is not to denigrate the car salesman profession, but rather I doubt a new car salesman is always in tune with the service advisors and ASE mechanics in the back. Different department, different social groups, different concerns.
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

I would agree with this assessment. Last Friday afternoon (Oct. 19th, 2018 ) called a Honda dealership in the Phoenix Arizona area (where we spend the winter). The salesman hadn't heard of issue and completely unaware of consumer reports article - Oct. 5th. He is still enthusiastically recommending the 2018 CR-V with the Earth Dreams 1.5 L Turbo (citing the various great rating this vehicle has received --including Consumer Reports). The sales manager (same dealership) only vaguely interested in my story with Earth Dream engine and wondering why I didn't discuss with service. When transferred to the service department, the head of service admitted knew of one other person (friend) that has same issue as me(complaint). Wow. Hard to believe!
I first noticed the problem in Phoenix last March and took it to Arrowhead Honda. They had never heard of it then but should know about it now because of my case. It's incredible to me that these braindead dealers are still acting like they don't know about this!
daren12

Post by daren12 »

Hang in there! Our persistence (including fellow Bogleheads) will pay off as Honda is hoping to beat us down with mostly time and their legal team's knowledge of consumer law (and the many Lemon law flavors). As a loyal disciple of Jack Bogle I believe our patience, discipline and long term thinking will eventually win out over the long haul :happy
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

RetiredAL wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:15 pm
CULater wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 am Last night was the first night of below freezing temps here and the CRV was parked outside. This morning temps in low 30s. I fired it up and began driving and noticed that the temp gauge didn't budge for a longer time than I expected and not particularly warm air coming out of the vents with temp set to 72. Took much longer for the gauge to start moving and increased slowly. Probably took at least 20 minutes of driving before it rose to the usual level I see it.

CUL -- been reading your saga for a while.

IMO, that is too long of a heat-up to be considered normal at freezing or somewhat below. Until the engine is warmed up, the engine controls will run the engine rich ( extra fuel ). For example, with our recent 45 degrees mornings here in SillyCone Valley, my 96 Civic has been reaching it's indicated full operating temp in less that 2 miles while the heater is on full blast.

Adding to that, engines with Direct Injection, especially those that are turbo-charge, tend to suffer from build-up in the stem side intake valves from crankcase ventilation vapors, so they tend be designed to draw less air through the crankcase to minimize the buildup. In port injection engines, the detergents in the gas keep the valves clean, so having more air & vapor draw is not detrimental. This flow is what removes the gas, water condensation, and other vapors from the crankcase. Since all these bad contaminates don't vaporize out of the oil until the oil is hot, very cold weather, short drive trips, or anything that prevents the engine from quickly reaching normal operating temps is undesirable.

If your vehicle is still under factory warranty, I suggest you take it in to the dealer with a single complaint of slow warm-up. If not under warranty, take it to a local shop. This should get them looking at the thermostat system. Note that thermostats are much to likely to fail by not fully closing ( slow warm-up ) that to be stuck shut ( over-heat ). For the DIY'ers out there, its not a hard job to change the thermostat on most cars, but there can be some model unique quirks about burping the air out of the coolant afterwards. [might be a special air bleed screw to loosen]

Getting to a normal temp quicker may not solve the gas dilution/oil level issue, but it will help.

As for your drips out of the tail-pipe -- The combustion and Catalytic processes convert fuel to water and CO2. Until the tailpipe temp reaches at least 212 degrees, there will be water droplets in the exhaust stream. The water does accumulate in a cold muffler, but 20 minutes does seem a long purge time for around 30 degree temps.
yes slow warm up due to stuck open thermostat would exaggerate cold weather condensation symptoms and probably increase oil dilution with fuel/moisture tendencies
temperature gauge not ever rising all the way to normal even after extended engine operation to warmed up level is strong indication that the thermostat is stuck open

if the thermostat were stuck open it would be a problem even in warm weather but might not be as apt to be noticed-perhaps worsening the engine's tendency to suffer excessive fuel build up/condensation into the crankcase oil
Last edited by Wakefield1 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For reference, the temperature dropped down to 32 deg last night, the coldest so far. My '12 CR-V went from cold to "comfortably warm" in under 5 minutes (less than 5 miles).

Twenty minutes to get lukewarm is far too long, something is wrong. As Wakefield1 states, the first culprit is an open thermostat. If it's covered under warranty, take the car in for service.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Now we're back to daytime temps in the 50s and 60s and overnight temps above freezing. No problems with the temp gauge flatlining. When we get cold again, I'll pay close attention to exactly how long it takes for the temp gauge to start moving and get to it's normal level. If it sticks again, I'll take it to the dealer with a complaint about slow warm-up as advised. Thanks for the input. This hadn't caught my attention until we had that cold morning with overnight temps below freezing for the first time.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I don't think your car cares if the temperature goes above or below the freezing point of water. It's continually making adjustments based on air temperature, regardless.

If the overnight temperature is in the upper 30s / low 40s (expected for the rest of the week here), can you set the heater up to full "hot" and get what you'd expect out of it? How long does it take?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

I don't want to encourage someone to take a chance of getting hurt by a spinning fan,pulley or belt but on most cars there is a hose leaving the thermostat containing water outlet (usually a big hose) going to the engine cooling radiator. A few minutes after (cold) startup even in summer that hose should be fairly cool or cold,if heat appears in that hose very quickly the thermostat is probably open when it shouldn't be. Also the thermostat might be opening properly when hot but only closing partially when cold instead of closing properly. "Cocked"? There is usually a very small bleed hole or notch bypassing the stopper part of the thermostat so that air can escape or enough heat reach the area so that the thermostat gets exposed to engine temperature.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:15 pm For reference, the temperature dropped down to 32 deg last night, the coldest so far. My '12 CR-V went from cold to "comfortably warm" in under 5 minutes (less than 5 miles).

Twenty minutes to get lukewarm is far too long, something is wrong. As Wakefield1 states, the first culprit is an open thermostat. If it's covered under warranty, take the car in for service.
Agree -
Thermostat stuck open is most likely cause of heat taking too long to get warm in a newer car.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 pm I don't think your car cares if the temperature goes above or below the freezing point of water. It's continually making adjustments based on air temperature, regardless.

If the overnight temperature is in the upper 30s / low 40s (expected for the rest of the week here), can you set the heater up to full "hot" and get what you'd expect out of it? How long does it take?
I've not noticed the temp gauge being slow to rise to normal level in warm weather conditions; only on that cold morning. If it was a thermostat issue wouldn't it be slow to rise regardless of ambient temps? Problems have been reported with the CRV engine not heating up in cold weather conditions. This has been related to oil dilution and to the vehicle interior not warming up when it is cold. Does not seem to be a thermostat issue or that would have been diagnosed and fixed. I'm skeptical that it has anything to do with the thermostat but if it happens again when it gets cold I'll take it in. In fact, I'm skeptical period that cold weather alone is the culprit. I think it's a mis-designed engine that need to be re-engineered and not patched with a software adjustment.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

From what I can find (still not 100% sure), this CRV has a 172F thermostat. If that's the case, that's amazingly low operating temperature. Back when I had my Lotus Elise, I replaced the garbage, plastic Toyota 190F thermostat with an Auto Zone all metal 180F thermostat as there was far more problems from overheating than low temp operation. There were 50 different choices from Autozone for thermostats. Looking around Autozone, NAPA and random google searches, I can't find anything for that 1.5T CRV engine. Seems to be some mongrel design or something. It may not be so easy to replace it as I first thought. Certainly if they aren't available stock, finding my own choice of temp opening is going to be much more difficult.

Also, just a point of information. Oil takes much longer to get up to temperature than does the coolant. So when you go on your cold morning drive, although you have nice heat blowing and normal temp showing on the gauge, it's typically a solid 20 minutes of driving before oil comes up to temp. Most cars don't have oil temp gauges. I remember vividly my 90 BMW M3 which did and how long it took to warm up as I drove to work and it was just before I got on the highway, which was at the 20 minute point. The driving to that point was neighborhoods and country roads. So if your commute is 20 minutes, you likely have not even reached operating temperature for the oil. Of course, if you drive 2 minutes and blast onto the highway, it'll warm up quicker.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Latest Honda propaganda regarding the oil dilution issue uploaded to youtube: "it's all good." But even the depiction of the oil dipstick is phoney in this one. The real dipstick is an orange plastic thing that makes it nearly impossible to see where the oil level actually is. The other lie is that they say that if you're concerned you can take it to your dealer and "they're prepared to address your concerns" I'm still laughing. Nice try, Honda! Hey, if it's normal, how come you're issuing a "fix?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVdKNRgzGT8
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

What happens if a CRV with a presently high oil level as a result of dilution is taken on, say, an hour-long highway trip. Does the gas then "vaporize" (as mentioned in the video) such that the oil level returns to normal by the end of the trip?