Had to Cancel a Trip Due to Emergency Surgery - Anyone Filed a Trip Insurance Claim With Allianz?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Small Law Survivor

Had to Cancel a Trip Due to Emergency Surgery - Anyone Filed a Trip Insurance Claim With Allianz?

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:28 pm

My wife was planning to go to Italy with some friends at the end of March. But, she woke up a week ago with vision problems, and it turns out she has a macular hole, and needs surgery to repair it. Her doctor strongly advised her against delaying until after the trip, so the surgery will take place in early April (during the period the trip was planned to take place).

We've never purchased travel insurance before, but for some reason we did this time. The flight was with Delta, and the insurance is with "Allianz".

I'm hoping we can recover the price of the airline ticket with this policy, but we've never done this before, and we know nothing about the ins and outs of trip insurance. I looked at Allianz's web site, and it really didn't provide any specific information that I could find. I expected to find a form that the doctor would fill out, certifying that there was emergency surgery, but I couldn't find anything like this.

Any advice on how this is handled and processed would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Lee

Small Law Survivor

Re: Had to Cancel a Trip Due to Emergency Surgery - Anyone Filed a Trip Insurance Claim With Allianz?

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:30 pm
Why not call Allianz?
I will, but I was wondering what kind of experiences people have had - like, this is easy, or this is a hassle, watch out for ....

Shallowpockets

Re: Had to Cancel a Trip Due to Emergency Surgery - Anyone Filed a Trip Insurance Claim With Allianz?

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 pm

We had Allianz for the first time we ever took trip insurance and it turned out to be a trip where girlfriend had a stroke on a bus in Laos.
I got her to Bangkok ASAP. Allianz was contacted by them. Allianz called me personally and told me everything I needed to know. They followed up in subsequent days and I also called them when I had a question.I thought their service was superlative. We walked out of the hospital without paying for anything. Allianz covered the bill direct to them.
Don't be afraid to call. You have the insurance and you are unable to take the trip. Hassle or not you want to see if you will be reimbursed.
Would you not call your,car insurance company for an accident because you thought it might be a hassle?
It is business. Get on the phone.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Check your credit card, too. I know Chase Sapphire has travel insurance if you purchase the trip with your card.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Filed a claim With Allianz for a Delta flight on behalf of the estate of my deceased MIl. Started and completed the process online including providing all required information and received confirmation of approval within a week and a check shortly thereafter. Be accurate and thorough and hopefully you will have a similar experience. I’d call Delta as well prior to not showing up for the trip.

Start here.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/file-a-claim
Last edited by Silk McCue on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:35 pm

We didn’t have trip insurance, but had to cancel flights and hotel to attend a wedding when my dad had a stroke a couple of days before we were scheduled to leave. I called the airlines and the hotel, and the airlines gave me credits I had to use within a year and the hotel just canceled my “ nonrefundable” reservation and credited back my charge card. The airlines were Delta and American, and hotel was Marriott.