Transferring Content (Super Bowl LII) from DVR to DVD

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stargazer

Transferring Content (Super Bowl LII) from DVR to DVD

Post by stargazer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 am

Long-time Philadelphia Eagles fan. I attended the last game at which the Eagles won the NFL championship (1960, pre-Super Bowl era). I was THRILLED to watch the team win Super Bowl LII.

I recorded Super Bowl LII in its entirety on my cable TV DVR (Optimum), and would like to copy that recording onto a DVD (for personal use only). Can anyone here tell me how to proceed (am not technologically savvy).

I Contacted NFL Films. The game is not yet available from that source, and may not become so.

Fly, Eagles, Fly.

stargazer

lthenderson

Re: Transferring Content (Super Bowl LII) from DVR to DVD

Post by lthenderson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 am

This link seems to explain it in great detail.

http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /a_id/1517

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Thank you for the reply. Am not tech savvy. Might someone recommend a DVR-to-DVD recorder that would work?

stargazer

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm

If you are not tech-savvy, pay a teenager $20 or $40 to do it for you, win-win!

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 pm

There will almost certainly be an NFL release of the game packaged in some big "Eagles fans" pitch. They did this several years ago; I assume it is still an annual moneymaker for the NFL. The game sans commercials as well as other clips. Check to see if they did it for last year's game. If they did, I would wait for this one before I did a lot of work.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:58 pm

Ugh. Even after all of this time, it still hurts.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Sounds like you would need a way to connect the DVR to your computer, like via a USB TV Tuner, for example. Once you are able to play the video into your computer, then you could use the TV Tuner to record the Super Bowl (this would require waiting hours while it plays (but it's worth watching again :D )). Once the computer has made a recording as an .mp4 file, then use some free video editing software to render the .mp4 file and burn it onto a DVD in a format that can play both on a computer and on a standard DVD player.

Alternatively, you could unscrew the DVR, take the hard drive out, and put it in your computer (or attach it to your computer via a USB-to-HDD converter) and copy the file onto the PC. Then use the aforementioned video editing software to burn it to the disc. Warning: opening your DVR will surely void any warranty you may have on it.

The above assumes that you don't have a DVD Recorder already attached to your TV, as most people don't. If you do have one (or acquire one), you should be able to follow the steps here: http://support.brighthouse.com/Article/ ... -DVD-2244/. Basically just run a composite cable (also called RCA, the red-white-yellow ones) from the DVR's out to the DVD Recorder's in, insert a blank DVD, press record, and press play on the DVR to play the Super Bowl.
Last edited by LiterallyIronic on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Some complications. DVR recorder likely won't record in HD.

An entire football game will not fit on a recordable DVD. Up to 2 hours.

Even if your "personal use", it is likely not legal.

Just keep it on your DVR and watch whenever you need to be inspired.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:38 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm
That depends on the video quality. A single-layer DVD-R is 4.7GB, which gets you about 4.4GB of space. Drop the quality down to VHS-level, and you should be able to get four hours on a DVD. Or just use a blu-ray disc, assuming your PC has a BD-R drive.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:41 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:38 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
That depends on the video quality. A single-layer DVD-R is 4.7GB, which gets you about 4.4GB of space. Drop the quality down to VHS-level, and you should be able to get four hours on a DVD. Or just use a blu-ray disc, assuming your PC has a BD-R drive.
I'm picturing watching the big game in VCR quality (240i) on the big 70" 4K TV. :wink: :sharebeer
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Even if your "personal use", it is likely not legal.

Just keep it on your DVR and watch whenever you need to be inspired.
I am not a lawyer, but I believe there was a Supreme Court case that held this to be legal. It's considered "fair use" under the Copyright law, as long as it is for non-commercial use.

Source: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/464/417/

"The record and the District Court's findings show (1) that there is a significant likelihood that substantial numbers of copyright holders who license their works for broadcast on free television would not object to having their broadcast time-shifted by private viewers (i.e., recorded at a time when the VTR owner cannot view the broadcast so that it can be watched at a later time); and (2) that there is no likelihood that time-shifting would cause nonminimal harm to the potential market for, or the value of, respondents' copyrighted works. The VTR's are therefore capable of substantial noninfringing uses. Private, noncommercial time-shifting in the home satisfies this standard of noninfringing uses both because respondents have no right to prevent other copyright holders from authorizing such time-shifting for their programs and because the District Court's findings reveal that even the unauthorized home time-shifting of respondents' programs is legitimate fair use. "

Even under the updated Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), Fair Use was still allowed.
Source: https://www.dmca.com/faq/Fair-Use

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 pm

stargazer wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 am
I recorded Super Bowl LII in its entirety on my cable TV DVR (Optimum)
High definition or standard definition?

I copied my HD recording of the game from my TiVo over to my computer via my home network using a program that connects to the TiVo. Total size is more than 35 gigabytes. :!:
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 pm

stargazer wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 am
Long-time Philadelphia Eagles fan. I attended the last game at which the Eagles won the NFL championship (1960, pre-Super Bowl era). I was THRILLED to watch the team win Super Bowl LII.

I recorded Super Bowl LII in its entirety on my cable TV DVR (Optimum), and would like to copy that recording onto a DVD (for personal use only). Can anyone here tell me how to proceed (am not technologically savvy).

I Contacted NFL Films. The game is not yet available from that source, and may not become so.

Fly, Eagles, Fly.

stargazer
Link below. It removes all the time between plays etc. Is this of interest to you?

NFL 2018 Superbowl 52 (LII) Eagles vs Patriots FULL GAME (CONDENSED)

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:25 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:38 pm
Drop the quality down to VHS-level, and you should be able to get four hours on a DVD. Or just use a blu-ray disc, assuming your PC has a BD-R drive.
I'm not OP, but I'd love up upgrade my copy of the Cardinals' last championship to VHS quality.
bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:41 pm
I'm picturing watching the big game in VCR quality (240i) on the big 70" 4K TV. :wink: :sharebeer
Yeah, OP might want to have separate DVDs for the first half and second half instead. Even just watching SD on a 55" TV is tough.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_