Awning over door: style and size?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
coalcracker

Awning over door: style and size?

Post by coalcracker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 am

In our newly-purchased home, we will enter primarily through the back door, which currently sits on the outer envelope of the house with no overhead protection from the elements. With 2 young kids and a dog, I'm thinking we will want at least a small awning for entry during rainy weather.

I've always had homes in which I entered via a covered front porch, so I'm not sure how large to make this awning for adequate protection, or what shape might be best. We may consider copper ($$$, I know) because a sunroom bumpout in the back of the house also has a copper roof.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

otinkyad

Re: Awning over door: style and size?

Post by otinkyad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 am

On a porch, I would want at least one side with a gutter or similar to enter without getting dripped on. I’d say 4’ by 4’ is an absolute minimum. Our porch is very comfortable at 6’ by 10’.

We added a roof on our porch in a cookie cutter subdivision, and chose to frame and tile it to match the existing roof. Most people (including appraisers) never notice it wasn’t original, and several neighbors later did the same thing.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:59 am

We have a sunbrella over frame awning that is 30" deep. I'd say that depth is about the minimum to get out of the rain while opening the door.

An awning will also protect your door from weather, prolonging its life and helping to avoid eventual rot downward from the door sill.

Think about how strong it will need to be to handle the wind & snow that are likely and how to avoid water getting into the wall where it will attach to the house.

shanefairman

Post by shanefairman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:38 am

I agree 4' by 4' is probably the minimum acceptable size.

With houses it greatly depend on the style of your house and others is the area. The style needs to fit in AND be structurally sound. Do you live in a snowy climate? If you do there are snow loads to consider. Live in a hurricane prone area? You needs to consider the wind loads.

As long as you are willing to match both the needs and the style there shouldn't be an issue. Several decades ago cheap aluminum awnings were quite popular. They were typically small and just attached to the existing door trim / structure with minimal fasteners. They do work but they were never ascetically pleasing. To match your building and make it a more substantial size IE: 6'x4' 8'x4' 6'x6' 8'x8' don't be surprised if it's a larger and more expensive project than planned. The roof structure if small or under light loads be me able to be surface mounted with knee bracing. Anything more substantial will likely need work done to existing siding, trim, and structural components added.
“You must not only think for yourself, you must plan for yourself, and you must plan ahead, and you must live up to these plans. You must know exactly what you want to do.” -George Carlin, Boston Rant