What is your favorite reasonably priced Rum?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SimonJester

What is your favorite reasonably priced Rum?

Post by SimonJester » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:40 am

Ok in the same vane as What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon... Lets get this one going with Rum.

I think my favorite so far is
Plantation Rum Grande Reserve 5 Year

We recently picked up a bottle of Don Q 151. Wow that stuff has an amazing flavor but quite a kick
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

jdb

Re: What is your favorite reasonably priced Rum?

Post by jdb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 pm

In my limited experience there are quite a few very good and expensive sipping rums, most made in Caribbean islands and Central America and Venezuela. And unfortunately lots of reasonably priced but not so great rums which are best as mixers. Only one I know that is a great sipping rum and reasonably priced is illegal to buy in United States. Havana Club seven year old can be purchased quite reasonably in Cuba where it is produced, but limited to bringing not more than two bottles into US. Almost worth the trip. Good luck.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:26 pm

I sampled some Flor de Caña dark rum (not sure of the age) recently and would recommend it for drinking neat or on the rocks. Not sure what it costs, though.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm

My kind of thread..... :)

A friend got me into good dark rums and weaned me off bourbon. Generally we follow a few rules (with exceptions):
- "mainland" rums are better than island rums
- black or dark rums are superior to amber or white/silver
- aging in bourbon barrels (or sherry or brandy) is a cost savings for the distiller and an abomination unto mankind.
- anything with "demerara" on the label is guaranteed to please
- "spiced" rum is for children and hipsters :o)

that said.. here is what is currently on my shelf:

"Everyday" rums
- Flor de Cana 5 year old
- Goslings
- Skipper
- Cruzan Black Strap

"Special Day" rums
- Flor de Cana 25
- El Dorada Reserve
- Zacapa Centenario

There are of course many, many fine rums out there I have yet to try.... maybe tomorrow ! :P

jdb

Post by jdb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:26 pm
I sampled some Flor de Caña dark rum (not sure of the age) recently and would recommend it for drinking neat or on the rocks. Not sure what it costs, though.
Not that I know anything about rums but like whisky the age of product has lots to do with taste and expense. One of my favorites and hard to find sipping rums is Appleton 21. But expensive. Much younger and less expensive Appletons don’t do much for me. Flor de Cana aged is a great and somewhat expensive rum. The younger batches don’t cost anywhere near as much and are also good but not great. Interesting topic. Edit: what triggered my response to OP is at this moment sipping a Barbancourt 15 in my backyard and enjoying it, an excellent sipping rum from Haiti but not reasonably priced. Good luck.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Probably doesn’t meet the snob appeal test but DW and I both like Captain Morgan

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Cheap everyday mixer rum - I find Rondiaz to be an excellent value, really tastes quite good.

For a bit more pricey - Captain Morgan 100 Proof is excellent and a great sipping rum. Totally different animal than the regular Captains which I find way too sweet.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

matthewmon

Post by matthewmon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:19 pm

is it true dark liquors are the healthiest? I think I like rum in diet coke better than whiskey in diet coke. I have only tried white rum and diet coke though...what is a good CHEAP (I don't believe in spending a lot on liquor) dark rum to put in my rum and cokes? I like rum in cranberry juice too but probably a lot of calories in the cranberry juice. is dark rum just as healthy as whiskey or should I stick to whiskey if I want to drink a healthy liqour?

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:26 pm

This conversation will be locked in three two one . . . but first, let me give you my input!

Don Q 151

Go with the best: https://spiritsreview.com/reviews/don-q ... 151-proof/

The best rum for your CUBA LIBRE!

And remember, no drinking and driving . . . gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:40 pm

My hands down favorite sipping rum that you can buy in the states is Zaya. It runs about $30-$40 a bottle.
Everyone has their own idea of reasonably priced so I'll also add Pyrat rum. It's a smooth rum with a nice nose. Less than $25 a bottle.
Pajamas wrote:
I'm a big fan of Flor de Caña, but for some reason it doesn't like me. Even a single shot always gives me a headache the next morning.
Last edited by Woodshark on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacardi

Post by Bacardi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:42 pm

My user name says it all :D

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Sailor Jerry For Moderate price.
Papa’s Pillar if straight. A little pricier.
Kirkland is good if you like mixing with Coke.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Appleton 12-year-old blend
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 pm

10 Cane from Trinidad was absolutely delicious. Had a hint of bananas in the aftertaste. Unfortunately, discontinued in 2015. If I had known that beforehand, I would have stocked up with at least a case. :( :oops:
Illegitimi non carborundum.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 pm

I really like Myers Platinum. But it can be hard to find.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

PressIt

Post by PressIt » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 pm

jdb wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 pm
Only one I know that is a great sipping rum and reasonably priced is illegal to buy in United States. Havana Club seven year old can be purchased quite reasonably in Cuba where it is produced, but limited to bringing not more than two bottles into US. Almost worth the trip.
Just FYI they've lifted a lot of the restrictions on that. It was $100 total for a while, but you can pretty much bring back whatever you want now. Last trip I brought back, and declared (was also stopped for a random check at customs) a little over 30 bottles of rum and a few boxes of cigars. Too bad I can't legally sell it or I'd run back and forth like a mule and make a little cash!

FraggleRock

I love rum

Post by FraggleRock » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Bacardi Añejo for every day sipping with cookies whilst sitting in the reading room.
Flor de Caña. But, only the older ones. Pricier and worth it.

john4546

Post by john4546 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:01 pm

airborne

Post by airborne » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:03 pm

jdb wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 pm
In my limited experience there are quite a few very good and expensive sipping rums, most made in Caribbean islands and Central America and Venezuela. And unfortunately lots of reasonably priced but not so great rums which are best as mixers. Only one I know that is a great sipping rum and reasonably priced is illegal to buy in United States. Havana Club seven year old can be purchased quite reasonably in Cuba where it is produced, but limited to bringing not more than two bottles into US. Almost worth the trip. Good luck.
I just picked up a bottle of Havana Club Seven when I was in Santa Clara, Cuba, last month, but I haven't cracked it open yet. I'll report back. It came highly recommended, however. It was ~$18/liter at the airport duty free.
Last edited by airborne on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:04 pm

I don't normally drink rum, as I am a bourbon and gin guy, but when I'm in Central America I drink Flor de Cana from Nicaragua, Centenario from Costa Rica, Abuelo from Panama, or Zacapa from Guatemala.

redrocker

Post by redrocker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:06 pm

If you can find it, Don Q Anejo is what I'd consider a good rum for a reasonable cost (~$18/btl).
El Dorado 12 year or older is also good but has a lot of sweetness, I'm guessing some sugar is added at the end. And it's in the $30/btl range.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Admiral Nelson

Dollarsign16

Post by Dollarsign16 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:17 pm

Zaya
Chairman’s Reserve
Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people they don’t like. –Will Rogers

Tatupu

Post by Tatupu » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:10 am

Best rum in Cuba is Santiago 11 year. Awesome stuff at $40 bottle but hard to find even for those of us living in Cuba.

Abuelo from Panama and Diplomatico from Venezuela also outstanding.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 am

I have been looking for a good sipping rum. I usually make mixed drinks: piña colada w/ Coco Lopez and Dole Pineapple Juice, mojito, dark and stormy with Gosling's Rum and Ginger Beer, rum margarita with Simply Limeade. Makes me feel like I am in the Carribean. 8-)

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am

Here's one I just found in the cabinet that you should avoid: Trader Joe's Rum of the Gods. It's a golden rum from Barbados and it tastes like paint remover neat. I guess you could use it in a punch.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:21 am

Bacardi Anejo or Bacardi 8.

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Koogie wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm

A friend got me into good dark rums and weaned me off bourbon. Generally we follow a few rules (with exceptions):
- "mainland" rums are better than island rums
- black or dark rums are superior to amber or white/silver
- aging in bourbon barrels (or sherry or brandy) is a cost savings for the distiller and an abomination unto mankind.
- anything with "demerara" on the label is guaranteed to please
- "spiced" rum is for children and hipsters :o)

that said.. here is what is currently on my shelf:

"Everyday" rums
- Goslings
- Skipper
- Cruzan Black Strap

"Special Day" rums
- Flor de Cana 25
- El Dorada Reserve
- Zacapa Centenario

There are of course many, many fine rums out there I have yet to try.... maybe tomorrow ! :P
Good recs above.
Flor de Cana has a 9 year old that's pretty good.

Also Ron Botran 12 year (Guatemala) if you can find it here is good value

Ron Cortez Anejo from panama makes the list.

I do miss the days of Zacapa 23 year old at $25/litre.
Its gotten so pricey (and mixed with 18 year old) I don't even buy it any more.
Sad to say but bourbon (i.e. Knob Creek) is a better value.

I still have a bottle of real 30 year old Zacapa in my closet.
Saving that one for a good friends first blue marlin.
Wish he would just go ahead and catch it.
I'm getting thirsty.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 pm

All the aged Rhum Barbancourts from Haiti are delicious and not expensive in most states.

When I was in Europe this summer, all the Cuban rums had stickers on them that it is now legal to bring them back to the US from a third country.

The Cuba-US stuff is in a state of flux.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:43 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:40 am
Ok in the same vane as What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon... Lets get this one going with Rum.

I think my favorite so far is
Plantation Rum Grande Reserve 5 Year

We recently picked up a bottle of Don Q 151. Wow that stuff has an amazing flavor but quite a kick
I was going to say Plantation too. I went to a rum tasting event at a friend's house and that stood out. He's an avid collector, very knowledgeable and said Plantation often stands out in terms value. Of course there's a lot of personal preference too and I rarely drink rum, but it was fun doing the tasting.

jdb

Post by jdb » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:00 pm

rooms222 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 pm
All the aged Rhum Barbancourts from Haiti are delicious and not expensive in most states.

When I was in Europe this summer, all the Cuban rums had stickers on them that it is now legal to bring them back to the US from a third country.

The Cuba-US stuff is in a state of flux.
I think current rules allow not more than 2 bottles of Cuban rum per person back into US. This is interesting thread, touched on most of my favorite rums. Ones not mentioned: When in Dominican Republic Brugals is a great sipping rum, rarely see it sold stateside. And when in Barbados don’t miss chance to pick up Mount Gay XO. Another great sipping rum. Good luck.

ikowik

Post by ikowik » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 pm

I agree, I find Brugal Anejo very smooth and good for sipping. Deceptive because it is so smooth, I find out next morning!
As others have said before, Flor de Cana is a good one to look for.
I had a bottle of "English Harbor" a while ago. Nice, with tropical (banana) overtones. Can't remember more about it!!

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Also reminds me of several I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

I have tried a few expensive ones over the last couple of years while on holiday that are produced by "craft" distillers. All aged in used bourbon barrels since they are small companies and the barrels are so cheap to get. The best one tasted like a mix between rum and whiskey. The worst one tasted like gasoline. I could post the names but I am pro small business so won't shame them... suffice it to say, if it says aged in bourbon barrels (or sherry barrels or anything else) on the label.. put it back on the shelf and walk away.

I also have a friend who is of Indian extraction so one evening we decided to taste test a bottle of the infamous "Old Monk" dark rum from India. It wins awards, is a huge seller and has a cult following. All I can say is it's another cult I won't be joining. Harsh and vicious stuff.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:30 pm

cfs wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:26 pm
This conversation will be locked in three two one . . . but first, let me give you my input!

Don Q 151
DonQ Hints of caramel, molasses ,vanilla. then ohhh my god I just drank gasoline :D :D :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:38 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:30 pm
cfs wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Don Q 151
DonQ Hints of caramel, molasses ,vanilla. then ohhh my god I just drank gasoline :D :D :D
You need to drink it mixed with ice and coke, otherwise is like drinking pure alcohol! Good luck y gracias por leer / cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Once the weather warms ups, we lean towards the yacht club special of Mount Gay Rum and tonic with a wedge of lime. When the weather turns cool again, a good spiced rum with warm apple cider helps to take off the chill of those later season Wisconsin Badger tailgates.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 pm

I tried Zaya thanks to this thread. It was excellent with a cigar. Very sweet for a liquor and nice on the rocks unlike the typical Bacardi or Captain Morgan sold at grocery stores. I think I prefer rum in the summer to most whiskies, gin, vodka, or tequila. I'm going to try Flor de Caña next. I've found most stores won't have a variety of good sipping rums unless it's main focus is liquor. It's fun to find the best liquor store near you.

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed May 09, 2018 3:53 pm

Good to see these important old threads revived. Just bought a bottle of El Dorado 15 Reserve from Guyana (has anyone ever actually visited Guyana) for my monthly Costco hamburger/cigars/whisky/rum lunch fiesta with the guys tomorrow. That is good sipping rum, ranks right up with the Barbancout 15. But would prefer Havana Club 7 year old, need to schedule trip out of country to pick up bottles. Good luck.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Wed May 09, 2018 9:35 pm

JBTX wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:52 pm
Probably doesn’t meet the snob appeal test but DW and I both like Captain Morgan
Sailor Jerry's is similar and less expensive.

jdb

Post by jdb » Sat May 26, 2018 6:46 pm

I’m going to update this important sipping rum thread cause feel like it and just learned something about rums. Turns out that lots of rum producers add sugar to the rums when bottling, called enhancing. Not a problem for the rums used in mixing cocktails like Bacardi, who cares if the rum a little sweet when mixing with a coke. But for those of us who like more expensive sipping rums not so good. There are sites on the internet where the enhanced sugar content of rums analyzed. El Dorado, Zacapa, Pyrat and Plantation all stand out for enhancement. Not surprising, I thought El Dorado and Pyrat both tasted sweet, though delicious. Jamaica, Barbados and Martinique do not allow rums bottled in those countries to be enhanced. Havana Club and Santiago from Cuba not enhanced. Neither is Flor de Cana, and Barbancourt very little. So those are now my go to sipping rums. Good luck.

wisevermilion

Post by wisevermilion » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Kraken Black Spiced Rum is my favorite. Taste and price are both good.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Pajamas wrote:
I sampled some Flor de Caña dark rum
Koogie wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm
"Everyday" rums

"Special Day" rums
- Flor de Cana 25
Woodshark wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:40 pm
I'm a big fan of Flor de Caña, but for some reason it doesn't like me. Even a single shot always gives me a headache the next morning.
FraggleRock wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 pm
Flor de Caña. But, only the older ones. Pricier and worth it.
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:04 pm
I drink Flor de Cana from Nicaragua
mrgeeze wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Flor de Cana has a 9 year old that's pretty good.
ikowik wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 pm
As others have said before, Flor de Cana is a good one to look for.
I'll add another bump to Flor de Cana. Got turned on to it while in Nicaragua and haven't preferred another rum since. Though I'm admittedly not a rum aficionado.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm not a rum fan either, but in Central America I drank Flor de Cana (Nicaragua) or Centenario (Costa Rica).

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 am

Actionable - Because of this thread, I will buy some Black Strap Rum. I am not a rum fan but I do love molasses. Never have I heard of this before. Got to at least give it a go.
Too soon old, too late smart.

etherlinkage

Post by etherlinkage » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:17 am

What about Chairman's Reserve http://www.saintluciarums.com/chairmans-reserve.html by St. Lucia Distillers? We liked it well enough to bring some back with us.
Save early, save aggressively, and stay the course.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:55 am

Sailor Jerry

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Gosling’s Black Seal
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

John Laurens

Post by John Laurens » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Spanish Style: Cana Brava

Jamaican Pot Still...Appleton 12 year or Hamilton Black

English Style...Eldorado 12 year

Regards,
John

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:51 am

wisevermilion wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:47 pm
Kraken Black Spiced Rum is my favorite. Taste and price are both good.
+1, good with Coke or sipping. Probably too sweet for rum experts. When we have parties it seems to be the most popular.