DW lost wedding ring -- file police report?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
R2D2

DW lost wedding ring -- file police report?

Post by R2D2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:50 am

My wife lost her wedding ring in a gym locker room. The short version is that she set it down on the counter to wash her hands, forgot about it, came back five minutes later (when she remembered), and it was gone.

She asked around to see if anyone found it, she looked under the counter etc., and later asked the front desk if a ring was found. No sign of it.

It would cost $700 to replace (though it was only $400 when we bought it).

It seems very likely that it was stolen. I can't conceive of any other way that it could have gone missing in such a short time and not be on the floor or someplace obvious like that.

I don't think our renters' policy covers this (even if it did, this strikes me as the sort of thing that would just cause your rates to go up over time).

Is there anything to do here? Is there any point in filing a police report?

This is not going to cause us financial hardship, and we're not the sentimental type. (In other words, we're not emotionally devastated that a symbol of our marriage was taken away.) It's just an annoying expense and upsetting to think that someone at this gym (small place, everyone is friendly with each other) would do such a thing.

celia

Re: DW lost wedding ring -- file police report?

Post by celia » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 am

A police report with the jurisdiction the gym is in would help only if someone found it and turned it into the police. That is possible, assuming it was not stolen from the sink area. It won't cost you anything but the time to file. Can you do it online?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 am

R2D2 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:50 am
My wife lost her wedding ring in a gym locker room. The short version is that she set it down on the counter to wash her hands, forgot about it, came back five minutes later (when she remembered), and it was gone.
She asked around to see if anyone found it, she looked under the counter etc., and later asked the front desk if a ring was found. No sign of it.
It would cost $700 to replace (though it was only $400 when we bought it).
It seems very likely that it was stolen. I can't conceive of any other way that it could have gone missing in such a short time and not be on the floor or someplace obvious like that.
I don't think our renters' policy covers this (even if it did, this strikes me as the sort of thing that would just cause your rates to go up over time).
This is not going to cause us financial hardship, and we're not the sentimental type. (In other words, we're not emotionally devastated that a symbol of our marriage was taken away.) It's just an annoying expense and upsetting to think that someone at this gym (small place, everyone is friendly with each other) would do such a thing.
I might discuss with the gym management (without accusing them of anything) whether a police report makes sense.

ZERO experience with this - but TV crimes shows all check pawn shops ... ;)

Check the details of your renters insurance as well. A police report might be necessary.

Thefts happen at the community center gym I use and I see the police there several times a year. Usually folks leave things unlocked. One poor guy had all his clothes and wallet/keys taken while in the shower. I always use a lock for anything of value.

I just wear a simple wedding ring - never take off to wash hands. The only time I take it off is when necessary for medical tests/procedures/surgery - and then I hand it to my wife. Had to do that recently - left hand surgery - so for a while I wear it on my right hand.
Last edited by dm200 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:00 am

You have nothing to lose by filing a report; except your time. But I suppose it'll accomplish nothing as they'll likely devote no resources to finding it for you.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:04 am

I'd file the report if the ring is identifiable. If law enforcement in the city/county in which you live has an active pawn shop detail, the ring might turn up.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:05 am

denovo wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:00 am
You have nothing to lose by filing a report; except your time. But I suppose it'll accomplish nothing as they'll likely devote no resources to finding it for you.
Probably true - but I doubt there is harm in doing so. It might "alert" the gym (dependng on the type) to a pattern of thefts.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:23 am

I'd file a police report and also notify the gym management. If the ring is identifiable, there's perhaps a chance the police might find it. In my experience the police do not care about "small" thefts, but perhaps as someone above mentioned they do check pawn shops generally.

I would certainly check pawn shops myself for something of sentimental value.

Does the gym have video showing who went into and out of the locker room?

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 am

File the report as there may have been other instances of "lost property" at the same facility that you are unaware of. It may help someone else.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:20 am

Personally I'd just go buy a replacement because I'd be angry at myself for leaving it on the sink.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:20 am

bob60014 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 am
File the report as there may have been other instances of "lost property" at the same facility that you are unaware of. It may help someone else.
Yes - and it might put some "incentive" on gym management to address the issue/risk as well.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:21 am

stan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:20 am
Personally I'd just go buy a replacement because I'd be angry at myself for leaving it on the sink.
One reason for having a "basic" wedding ring. :)

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:22 am

OP here.

Thanks for all the replies. I think she's going to give it a few more days to turn up and then file a police report. We're still not completely convinced that it was stolen. Maybe someone knocked it off the counter without realizing it, or it got caught in someone's towel, etc. The members of this gym form a close-knit community and most of them seem to know each other; we'd like to think no one there would steal someone's wedding ring!

dm200: I have a $10 ring for exactly this reason!

chevca

Post by chevca » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:32 am

R2D2 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:50 am

Based on the last paragraph, no, there would be no reason to file a police report. They would make a report for you. But, it would be simply so you could have a case number in case you wanted to make an insurance claim. No police follow up is going to be done on this one.

If it doesn't turn up, get DW a new ring and move on with life. Look into the new silicone rings for active types, so she can wear that one to the gym and just leave it on all the time. They're about $20 something in price, so even if it get lost no biggie.

Abe

Post by Abe » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 am

One time my wife lost her ring. We looked everywhere but couldn't find it. Finally, as a last resort, I removed the p trap on the bathroom sink and there it was. May be worth trying.

Edited to add: At the very least, you could get one of those pick up claw grabber thingys https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Pack-34-Fl ... 03ee686826 and run it down to the p trap a few times to see if picks up anything.
Slow and steady wins the race.

chevca

Post by chevca » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 am

Abe wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 am
One time my wife lost her ring. We looked everywhere but couldn't find it. Finally, as a last resort, I removed the p trap on the bathroom sink and there it was. May be worth trying.
You mean asking the gym if they will do that to check? Or, do you suggest the OP just go into the women's locker room at the gym and start taking the sink apart? :happy

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:11 am

mouses wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:23 am
In my experience the police do not care about "small" thefts,
In my experience the police don't really care about anything that does not involve: Person being injured/ harmed, a pattern of crime/ organized crime, and/ or anything that is going to be on the news.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 am

In my experience, some departments have people who routinely check lists from pawn shops for things that might be stolen. Such lists can be voluntary or required, depending on the jurisdiction. Or they may not exist at all.

No, the detectives don't go out looking in every pawn shop for every little thing that is lost or stolen, but a ring with initials on it or some other identifiable characteristic might show up on such a list.

Why do they bother? Because small things like this can provide leads to larger crimes.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 am

Asking the gym to check the p-trap is a great idea.

chevca

Post by chevca » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:27 am

If this were taken during a burglary or robbery, sure. But, lost or stolen at the gym while left on the sink... not even a locker broken into... sure, there's a crime ring they're going to going after with everything they have... :wink:

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Most HO/Renters policies have a very low limit on Jewelry (and "mysterious disappearance" may or may not be covered). Time to read your policy

Laren

Post by Laren » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 pm

I think checking the sink trap is a great idea. Also, would the gym let her put up a sign by the sink in the locker room saying "if anyone has found a ring please call xxx-xxxx" ? Maybe someone found the ring who was reluctant to turn it in to Lost & Found, but would want to return it directly to the owner. Or maybe someone will find the ring has fallen in their gym bag and think "where in the world did this come from?" and the sign would let them know how to find the owner.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Laren wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 pm
I think checking the sink trap is a great idea. Also, would the gym let her put up a sign by the sink in the locker room saying "if anyone has found a ring please call xxx-xxxx" ? Maybe someone found the ring who was reluctant to turn it in to Lost & Found, but would want to return it directly to the owner. Or maybe someone will find the ring has fallen in their gym bag and think "where in the world did this come from?" and the sign would let them know how to find the owner.
Great ideas..

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:42 pm

This is probably a long shot...but my gym has cameras outside the doors to the locker rooms. If your DW knows the time of the loss, maybe she could ask the gym management to look at the video to see who left the locker room around that time? This could be of help to the police or a waste or time, I'm not sure which, but wanted to mention it as an option.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:53 pm

I wouldn't make a report unless you need it for an insurance claim. The police aren't likely to do anything to find a $700 ring, more so since the thief wasn't a pickpocket or breaking and entering a home, but seizing what was left unattended in a public place.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 am

golfCaddy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:53 pm
I wouldn't make a report unless you need it for an insurance claim. The police aren't likely to do anything to find a $700 ring, more so since the thief wasn't a pickpocket or breaking and entering a home, but seizing what was left unattended in a public place.
Depending on the type of gym, maybe there is lax enforcement of accessibility to locker rooms. Filing a police report might (who knows?) prompt the gym to be more vigilant.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:55 am

pro tip: You can wash your hands with your wedding ring on. Last time mine was off was 2 years ago during open heart surgery.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:50 am

I would look at the policy and see if it is covered and what the deductible is. If it is a $500 deductible, I wouldn't bother filing. If you have another unexpected claim, they might drop you and it will be expensive/hard to get new coverage.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:51 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:55 am
pro tip: You can wash your hands with your wedding ring on. Last time mine was off was 2 years ago during open heart surgery.
May depend on how elaborate the ring is. I see some that have small diamonds or other stones on them. DW and I have simple gold bands. You do not normally see the simple rings on display - you have to ask.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:15 pm

OP here.

Looks like our deductible is higher than the value of the ring, but we'll file a police report anyway just in case they want to establish a pattern of thefts at that location. Apparently the sink drains are screened off, so the ring couldn't have fallen down the drain. And even if there are cameras outside the locker room, it was pretty crowded at the time. So that probably wouldn't narrow it down.

Oh well... time to move on. Maybe after we file the report, we'll pop our heads into some pawn shops and see if it ended up there.