Men's Cologne

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
syrdave

Men's Cologne

Post by syrdave »

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations for men's cologne.

I'm married, early 50's I.T. manager. Not looking for anything daring, just a safe, smell good masculine cologne. Formerly used Polo Blue and looking for a change. Not looking to spend $50/ounce either.

Any favorites?

TIA,
SyrDave
zoneinfo

Re: Men's Cologne

Post by zoneinfo »

Whatever you and your partner both like? seriously though, here's two safe bets -
- YSL La Nuit
- Burberry London

a google or youtube search for "most popular mens cologne" or something similar would give you more safe bets to consider.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

Ps By Paul Sebastian
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Good Life by Davidoff, if you can still get it. Best cologne in the world. My first boyfriend used to wear it all the time - it's masculine, light but persistent, and incredibly erotic.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

For years I've been wearing Happy by Clinique for Men. Light pleasant scent and not overbearing. If you get too many compliments on your cologne you are wearing too much. Go to mall/large store with and check out the options with your nose. Don't focus on the price unless you are slathering it on.

In my late teens/early 20's it was Jovan Musk and probably a bit too much I'd say.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Drakkar Noir. Timeless. 1987 wants back in. :wink:

I prefer good clean soap smell.

No cologne at work.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Yes
The smell of "clean", fresh, new.
The smell of nothing.

No
Bad breath, BO.
Axe body spray, teenage body clothes spray, overpowering anything which seems so common nowadays. :shock:
(note) the opposite sex is more interested in how others think they smell. . . . .not how you think you smell.

Scented dryer sheets, scented laundry soap, scented bath soap, scented hair soap. . . bad diet, et al.
All this gets layered on to the additional perfume.

This from DW and other females who are far more discerning than my dull self. :shock:

Actionably: some type of cologne that replicates a clean shower with non scented soaps and shampoos, and masks any hint of lingering body odor.
j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

On behalf of all the people who share elevators, or sit next to you on airplanes and at concerts, I make a request: whatever scent you choose for your private enjoyment, please don't wear the stuff in public places. Aroma of chemical men overwhelms our shared spaces.
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

Banana Republic Black Walnut is my favorite . Close second is Dolce & Gabbana The One. I think both work well as business to business casual scents and are fairly understated. Also have D&G The One Gentleman an Polo Blue, those are a bit more aromatic/potent and classy, IMO. The banana republic is the cheapest of them all but still the one I tend to use most when I do wear cologne. YMMV obviously.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

Flobes wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 am On behalf of all the people who share elevators, or sit next to you on airplanes and at concerts, I make a request: whatever scent you choose for your private enjoyment, please don't wear the stuff in public places. Aroma of chemical men overwhelms our shared spaces.
I think part of the trick is how you apply: one spray to the bare chest so it's under your clothing and a bit more contained.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
HeartinAK

Post by HeartinAK »

Husband works in an office and is 52. Wears Green Irish Tweed by Creed, La Nuit, and Legend Spirit by Montblanc. Very nice fragrances with no complaints from coworkers.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Flobes wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 am On behalf of all the people who share elevators, or sit next to you on airplanes and at concerts, I make a request: whatever scent you choose for your private enjoyment, please don't wear the stuff in public places. Aroma of chemical men overwhelms our shared spaces.
Also don’t wear it near my backyard beehives. Honeybees hate perfume and cologne. Only time a neighbor was stung while with me looking at hives was when he was wearing cologne. Never heard of guy wearing cologne while walking his dog wearing shorts and T Shirt. Personally have not used any for over 30 years, shower daily and clean clothes and good personal hygiene all one really needs. Honeybees could tell you that. Good luck.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

+1.

Save it for dates.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I hate colognes and the person that wears it at work is a rarity.

I find the following paradoxical: “if you can smell it, you’re wearing too much!!” Then what is the point of wearing it?
dickyboy

Post by dickyboy »

Caduceus wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:37 am Good Life by Davidoff, if you can still get it. Best cologne in the world. My first boyfriend used to wear it all the time - it's masculine, light but persistent, and incredibly erotic.
Maybe you just liked your first boyfriend better than the rest ????
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

syrdave wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:00 am Hi All,

I'm married, early 50's I.T. manager. Not looking for anything daring, just a safe, smell good masculine cologne. Formerly used Polo Blue and looking for a change. Not looking to spend $50/ounce either.

Any favorites?

TIA,
SyrDave
I have different cologne for work and play. At work I want something subtle and fresh smelling.

Truth told- I now keep AXE at work. Its cheap, and if you choose the right one it smells fresh w/out having an overwhelming cologne trail down the hallway. Can also spray in armpits etc.....the Phoenix is the best smelling one- fresh like soap etc.

Give it a shot. Can't beat the price. Also great to keep in a gym bag or the car if you're frequently busy after work.

Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

Armani Code Ultimate
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

Skip the cologne. Who are you trying to impress anyways?

A Masculine Scent that other people would want to smell on you is probably an oxymoron. Nobody - especially the opposite sex - wants to smell a truly masculine scent on anybody. So you will likely end up smelling like a bunch of chemicals that nobody will think is pleasant but yourself, or you could shoot for a novelty "masculine" scent like sawdust, motor oil, leather or bacon.
KT785

Post by KT785 »

Agree with the previous posters re: restricting use to outside the office.

I'm 30 and had worn cologne through high school, college, and law school . . . always minimally (one or two spritzes at most). Nevertheless, when I started my first "big boy" job at a law firm, I noticed a few other guys who always smelled strongly of aftershave; having now moved to a corporate setting, I notice it even more frequently.

I stopped wearing cologne other than on special occasions with my wife, in part because I find I'm more sensitive to scents on other people, and more importantly, I hear many of my colleagues (mostly female) refer negatively to men who wear cologne to the office . . . there's a bit of a stereotype for guys who do it.

I think the "not in the office" rule applies to women's perfume as well, along with heavily scented soaps, detergents, and fabric softeners.

As for me, the most you'd likely notice on a daily basis is the faint scent of white Dove bar soap :D
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

JBTX wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am I hate colognes and the person that wears it at work is a rarity.

I find the following paradoxical: “if you can smell it, you’re wearing too much!!” Then what is the point of wearing it?
There is science behind this. Nose receptors eventually turn off after smelling something. So that's the point of that saying- if you can continue to smell your cologne, it means you put too much on.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-you ... 00803.html
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

SquawkIdent wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:38 pm Armani Code Ultimate
This gets the ladies vote. Or Boss.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

I personally use Bleu de Chanel when I do put on cologne. My other favorite was Banana Republic Classic. I got Chanel for xmas one year and that became my go to cologne now.
island

Post by island »

Sorry, but just say no. Cologne, after shave, etc is nasty. You can't smell it on yourself and I'm sure 99.9% of the people around you don't want the smell invading their space.
Most people I know, male and female, aren't allowed to wear it in their workplace.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

zoneinfo wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:16 am Whatever you and your partner both like? seriously though, here's two safe bets -
- YSL La Nuit
- Burberry London

a google or youtube search for "most popular mens cologne" or something similar would give you more safe bets to consider.

+1 for YSL La Nuit

Buy it here:

www.fragrance.net
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

F150HD wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:27 pm
Truth told- I now keep AXE at work. Its cheap, and if you choose the right one it smells fresh w/out having an overwhelming cologne trail down the hallway. Can also spray in armpits etc.....the Phoenix is the best smelling one- fresh like soap etc.

Give it a shot. Can't beat the price. Also great to keep in a gym bag or the car if you're frequently busy after work.

There is a right way and a wrong way to apply AXE Body Spray. Here is the right way:
  • Each AXE Body Spray container is for a single application only.
  • Applying AXE Body Spray is like painting a car.
  • Spray on a base coat over your entire body. Let it dry until it is tacky.
  • Then apply a finishing coat over your entire body. Let it dry.
  • Be sure to use the entire container. Failure to fully apply all the product may result in inability to attract the ladies.
:D
slayed

Post by slayed »

No such thing as a masculine cologne IMO
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

bloom2708 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 am Drakkar Noir. Timeless. 1987 wants back in. :wink:

No cologne at work.
😂

What is truly timeless is Old Spice original scent. Your application for SS will be expedited if you wear this!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

JBTX wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am I hate colognes and the person that wears it at work is a rarity.

No it is NOT paradoxical. The human nose gets used to odors pretty quickly.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

GreatLaker wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 am
F150HD wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:27 pm

There is a right way and a wrong way to apply AXE Body Spray. Here is the right way:
  • Each AXE Body Spray container is for a single application only.
  • Applying AXE Body Spray is like painting a car.
  • Spray on a base coat over your entire body. Let it dry until it is tacky.
  • Then apply a finishing coat over your entire body. Let it dry.
  • Be sure to use the entire container. Failure to fully apply all the product may result in inability to attract the ladies.
:D
lol....if you're 19 and heading to "the Club", sure.... :D

Actually, I initially bought it for camping. When you end up at a campground w/out showers its nice to have in the AM so people don't sit 20 feet away from you.

After that experience, I liked the Phoenix scent (fresh/clean) so keep some around the house and at work now. Also prevents me from using my $$$$ cologne just to go to work. I save that for "the Club".
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
M6WIQ

Post by M6WIQ »

Old Spice, a classic, but it works.
-- | Please Phone after 6PM when I have gone home.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Soap. Anything stronger and you could offend the olfactory senses of your co-workers.

I've actually had to leave in the middle of a meeting when someone was wearing perfume or cologne. Makes my eyes water, I start coughing, and my claustrophobia kicks in.

Horrible, horrible smelly stuff....
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

I like CK One.

Bought a bottle when I was 25 and it's still there 20+ years later. I use it at most once a year, when going out with DW and she bugs me about how the bottle's been sitting around for (literally) decades. :P
CZjc1330

Post by CZjc1330 »

Gave up colognes and aftershaves years ago. Use scented oil. (Check out Ebay, etc.) A lot more subtle, less expensive and lasts forever.

Since oils are not alcohol based scent does not evaporate. Just dab a little around both temples. Lasts all evening. Usually, oils come in a small container with a roll-on dispenser. I only use occasionally at night; never for office.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:31 am
bloom2708 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 am Drakkar Noir. Timeless. 1987 wants back in. :wink:

No cologne at work.
😂

What is truly timeless is Old Spice original scent. Your application for SS will be expedited if you wear this!
Hey what about Aqua Velva and English Leather :shock:
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

duplicate
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Cologne/perfume is too strong unless you're on a date IMO unless you're trying to date your coworkers.
Pleasant fresh mild smelling deodorant, soap, shampoo and lotion are plenty for work.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Commando. My favorite. :wink:
HobbesMB

Post by HobbesMB »

Please, no cologne at work. Who are you trying to impress with your scent at the office anyway?

Even if nobody at work has ever complained about your cologne, I can promise you there are people there who are wishing you would stop wearing it.
bbradb

Post by bbradb »

Little off topic but... Back in the early 70s, as a young professional guy, I was headed across the parking lot towards my fun little 63 or 64 Volvo 544 (before Volvos were well known in the states) which I had just newly painted in a pleasant shade of blue/green, when a slightly elderly guy loudly called out "Oh, an aqua Volvo man!". I couldn't help grinning all the way home!
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

The vast majority of perfume smells on either a man or a woman are disgusting, and more importantly more than a few folks are allergic to many of the chemicals in perfumes.

Want to impress most folks, or a date, in any public setting (including at work)?...don't smell of anything at all except being freshly showered and wearing clean clothes and everyone will be thankful and impressed in the right way.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 »

Dab a few drops of Budweiser on your checks and neck and people will tend to stay away. Can get a lot of work done without being disturbed during the day. Somewhat of a risk to your professional reputation though.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
mouses

Post by mouses »

bloom2708 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 am No cologne at work.
No perfume either, ladies. I can still remember getting into elevators with someone soaked in fragrance before I retired.
mouses

Post by mouses »

HeartinAK wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:24 am Husband works in an office and is 52. Wears Green Irish Tweed by Creed, La Nuit, and Legend Spirit by Montblanc. Very nice fragrances with no complaints from coworkers.
That's because they're being polite. How much nerve would it take to walk up to someone and tell them, "Your cologne is giving me a headache."
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

mouses wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:04 am
bloom2708 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 am No cologne at work.
No perfume either, ladies. I can still remember getting into elevators with someone soaked in fragrance before I retired.
I agree 100% on perfume and cologne. No oil diffusers at work either. A few weeks back a new co-worker 2 cubes down fired up an oil diffuser thing on one of her first days. The person is from China and the scent was one of the most strange scents I've ever smelled. Some spice/insence scent. It filled our entire floor and people were wondering if the building was on fire or if something else was happening.

The building manager had to come tell her she could not use an oil diffuser on a floor with close to 100 people. :|
Michread

Post by Michread »

The combined smell of your soap, clothes from laundry detergent, underarm deodorant, shampoo and conditioner is enough.

People stop smelling what they are used to. Try switching your products and then you will be able to smell these perfumes.

Save your dollars and your health (toxins in perfumes).

Consider using natural deodorants like baking soda,activated charcoal, & apple vinegar in and on your body. They smell good and keep you healthy.
Early retirement 2018
caffeinefree

Post by caffeinefree »

blaugranamd wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:24 am I think part of the trick is how you apply: one spray to the bare chest so it's under your clothing and a bit more contained.
That is still the wrong application method. You should never apply perfume/cologne directly to your skin. Instead, apply ONE spritz to the air at chest height, and then walk through the air that you sprayed.

That said, as a woman I echo all of the posters who say that less is more, and I prefer people with minimal artificial scents. I myself only wear perfume (essential oils, actually) sparingly and on special occasions.

I still have vivid memories of the boy in high school (15 years ago) who would apply half a bottle of Abercrombie & Fitch cologne every morning before school and the way it would make me simultaneously gag and sneeze whenever he walked by. Don't be that kid.

Edited to add: Also, we should all remember that as we age, our senses become weaker, olfactory included. Often older people will over-apply scents, because they simply cannot smell them as well as younger people around them! https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/004013.htm
Munir

Post by Munir »

Old Spice (Classic) Aftershave. Have used it since I started shaving about 60 years ago.
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio
mtbouchard

Post by mtbouchard »

Would second "Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio" and add my favorite (for its subtlety) Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Men's.

Matt
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Any favorites?
I use Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier.

According to fragrantica.com, it's "absolutely irresistible to women". But I wear it because my wife likes it on me.

Have you considered asking your wife what she likes?
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.