Men's Cologne

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pezblanco

Re: Men's Cologne

Post by pezblanco » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Another triumph for Madison Avenue ... convincing men that they need to wear perfume so that they smell "manly".

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 am

Cologne smells different on every one because every person's body chemistry is different. What smells good on you may not smell good on another person. I don't wear cologne myself, but I think folks get turned off it because people wear them wrong. They use too much, or spray on clothes, when you are supposed to use it directly on the body, where the scent becomes more subtle and diffuse and not as strong.

You can use just one spritz of fine mist in the air, then walk naked through the mist after the shower. The idea is that if anyone comes close enough for negative body smells to be an issue, the cologne will take care of it, but no one else unless they are really, really, really close to you can smell it.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 am
Cologne smells different on every one because every person's body chemistry is different. What smells good on you may not smell good on another person. I don't wear cologne myself, but I think folks get turned off it because people wear them wrong. They use too much, or spray on clothes, when you are supposed to use it directly on the body, where the scent becomes more subtle and diffuse and not as strong.

You can use just one spritz of fine mist in the air, then walk naked through the mist after the shower. The idea is that if anyone comes close enough for negative body smells to be an issue, the cologne will take care of it, but no one else unless they are really, really, really close to you can smell it.
This makes a lot of sense.
It certainly would minimize having to throw away another car seat cover because the smell of a "guest" can't be washed from it. :shock:
j

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Sex Panther, by Odeon

It's illegal in nine countries. It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:13 pm

MDfive21 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm
Sex Panther, by Odeon

It's illegal in nine countries. It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Made me laugh. Stay classy.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:45 pm

MDfive21 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm
Sex Panther, by Odeon

Depends on which bits, I suppose.

Post by 2015 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Flobes wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:02 am
On behalf of all the people who share elevators, or sit next to you on airplanes and at concerts, I make a request: whatever scent you choose for your private enjoyment, please don't wear the stuff in public places. Aroma of chemical men overwhelms our shared spaces.
Same could be said for some women. Please don't wear perfume to the gym, it saturates the air. And not in a pleasant way.

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio I bought it for my husband. Love it, but he doesn't wear too much.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 pm

I like Supreme and/or Prime by Aeropostale. It's a nice clean smelling scent, both are good. I received both of these for Christmas and I like how they last for a good part of the day and they won't break the bank at $20 a bottle.

For those saying how they don't like to smell cologne, I rather smell a nice smelling cologne then body odor. As long as it's not something really over powering I like when someone smells nice. Guy or girl.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:16 am

I prefer a little gasoline splashed on my shoes, a dash of saw dust under the arms, and a little grease under the nails.

*That's* manly!
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:39 pm

John Varvatos Artisan Blu. It's fresh and masculine. I bought some on eBay for about half of what it costs at Nordstrom.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:02 pm

And for pity's sake folks please have the good sense not to wear perfume or cologne when going on a commercial airline flight. The combined stench of all the various perfumes/colognes on your average commercial airline flight is disgusting at best, and at worst can make folks who are allergic to perfume chemicals pretty ill/uncomfortable. Clearly freshly showered and in clean clothes is always a great thing on an airplane, but absolutely no one on the airplane wants to smell your perfume/cologne in addition to the forty others "scents" already on board.

btw - same is true for any setting where seating and space is tight - concerts, theater, plays, public meetings, etc , even fine dining when seating is close.

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:59 pm

syrdave wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:00 am
Hi All,

Looking for recommendations for men's cologne.

I'm married, early 50's I.T. manager. Not looking for anything daring, just a safe, smell good masculine cologne. Formerly used Polo Blue and looking for a change. Not looking to spend $50/ounce either.

Any favorites?

TIA,
SyrDave
Joop
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:33 am

I would rather smell of nothing than smell sweet. - Martial

Many people come to me and they say, “Hey, how can you be such a swinging sex god?"...But I’m also a unique guy too. The kind of guy who likes to have his own special scent. Not to smell like every other guy. I like to have my own, individual odor. That’s why I wear tuna fish sandwich. I put a tuna fish sandwich under each arm. Maybe one or two behind the ears. I don’t smell like any other guy. And it’s economical too because the smell lasts four or five days. - Steve Martin
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:57 am

mouses wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 am
HeartinAK wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:24 am
Husband works in an office and is 52. Wears Green Irish Tweed by Creed, La Nuit, and Legend Spirit by Montblanc. Very nice fragrances with no complaints from coworkers.
That's because they're being polite. How much nerve would it take to walk up to someone and tell them, "Your cologne is giving me a headache."
+1

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:37 am

mptfan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:57 am
mouses wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 am
HeartinAK wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:24 am
Husband works in an office and is 52. Wears Green Irish Tweed by Creed, La Nuit, and Legend Spirit by Montblanc. Very nice fragrances with no complaints from coworkers.
That's because they're being polite. How much nerve would it take to walk up to someone and tell them, "Your cologne is giving me a headache."
+1
+2

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Creed Aventus (if it was good enough for Napoleon...)

If you want try this, don't buy retail (it's $400+ for 100ml). There are other options to get it 1/3 that price (check out basenotes splits forum)