Furniture Delivery Damage to Home & Furniture Recourse

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
camaro327

Furniture Delivery Damage to Home & Furniture Recourse

Post by camaro327 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:30 am

I recently purchased a fairly expensive small table set, about $4,000. Upon delivery they had to remove the door no problem, but the table still didn't fit through and they banged up the trim paint and smashed the edge of the trim in another place. Next they tried to remove my sliding patio door and it would not fit through. In the process, the workings of the door do not feel as tight as before removal.

They left and contacted the manufacturer of the table and low and behold the top is removable. Would have been nice for them to have thought of that to start with.

So I'm looking for some input related to damage to the home and possibly to the furniture.

I would like to ensure my sliding door is working correctly and I don't trust the delivery guys to fix that properly and that's all they offered. They are blowing the damage to the door frame off as trivial. Do I have any recourse? I'm guessing it would cost a couple hundred to get it inspected and fixed.

Also, they are telling me the furniture has no damage. Does that even make any sense? I'm having visions of them going nuts with a furniture pencil.

Just as an added bonus they sent the wrong chairs and they supposedly are on a rush order for the correct ones. :oops:

Cigarman

Re: Furniture Delivery Damage to Home & Furniture Recourse

Post by Cigarman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:37 am

Did you pay by credit card and can dispute the charges? That usually get's their attention.

Assuming you took pictures, nothing beats going in and talking to the manager in person.

Get a quote to fix the door frame and have them refund that amount back to you.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 am

camaro327 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:30 am
I recently purchased a fairly expensive small table set, about $4,000. Upon delivery they had to remove the door no problem, but the table still didn't fit through and they banged up the trim paint and smashed the edge of the trim in another place. Next they tried to remove my sliding patio door and it would not fit through. In the process, the workings of the door do not feel as tight as before removal.

They left and contacted the manufacturer of the table and low and behold the top is removable. Would have been nice for them to have thought of that to start with.

So I'm looking for some input related to damage to the home and possibly to the furniture.

I would like to ensure my sliding door is working correctly and I don't trust the delivery guys to fix that properly and that's all they offered. They are blowing the damage to the door frame off as trivial. Do I have any recourse? I'm guessing it would cost a couple hundred to get it inspected and fixed.

Also, they are telling me the furniture has no damage. Does that even make any sense? I'm having visions of them going nuts with a furniture pencil.

Just as an added bonus they sent the wrong chairs and they supposedly are on a rush order for the correct ones. :oops:
Do you know if the delivery people actually work for the company from which you bought the furniture? They could be contractors. I would try working with the store manager if purchased from a retail store or the manufacturer if purchased directly.

I had an expensive office chair (Herman Miller Aeron) delivered to the house. I watched them pick up the box to walk it off the truck. The bottom collapsed and the chair hit the ramp very sharply. I carefully inspected the chair and couldn't find any damage. But I still called the store from which I had ordered it to complain about the shoddy packaging. They were very surprised indicated that they has ordered it from the local distributor and that the distributor contracted with the delivery company.

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 am

Well with the table and chairs I'm okay with going through with it, but I'm most concerned with the damage. I don't think I can dispute this transaction. Though getting a quote for the damage sounds like an idea.

Item 2. I have something else on order with them that I have asked to cancel due to this buffonery. I put a deposit down on it and they are telling me if it's to far along and I can not cancel it. Can I dispute that one? I really would like to get my table and chairs and then not deal with them again.

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:51 am

cherijoh wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 am
Do you know if the delivery people actually work for the company from which you bought the furniture? They could be contractors. I would try working with the store manager if purchased from a retail store or the manufacturer if purchased directly.
Their delivery guys are employees of the retailer. I am definitely calling the manufacturer Monday in regards to the delivery and wanting to cancel the order.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:52 am

To be honest, I don't see a lot of fault on the delivery guys for damaging your property. They are NOT furniture makers (likely hired out delivery service). They are NOT handyman or contractors. They were nice enough to try to help get it in the house (likely against policy exactly for this reason). I am not a lawyer, but you gave oral consent for a delivery team to remove doors and screen doors KNOWING they were not contractors/ handyman. I am pretty sure the liability is on your part as you gave consent. T

Likely, all the furniture folks will do is call the delivery service and the drivers will get fired for doing something like this to help YOU out. As they likely should a the delivery company policy will CLEARLY state the delivery guys are NOT to alter the property it is delivered to. My guess, is their appropriate response of it not fitting was to tell you your options is to, 1. Refuse deliver (still get charged delivery fee) or 2. Leave it on the front step until you figure out what to do.

Now, your complaints of damaging the furniture itself is reasonable as again they will contact the delivery service and they will have to take financial ownership of the damage as they caused that. As the delivery service they are responsible for delivering said product without causing damage to the furniture.

Advice... take a lot of pics of the damage and go meet in person the manager where you bought the furniture and see what can be done. The furniture should be replaced as it was damaged on delivery.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 am

To be honest, I don't see a lot of fault on the delivery guys for damaging your property. They are NOT furniture makers (likely hired out delivery service). They are NOT handyman or contractors. They were nice enough to try to help get it in the house (likely against policy exactly for this reason). I am not a lawyer, but you gave oral consent for a delivery team to remove doors and screen doors KNOWING they were not contractors/ handyman. I am pretty sure the liability is on your part as you gave consent. T
I guess I should clarify that this is in-home delivery and the one door did not get damaged, it was the frame. If they had contacted the manufacturer from the start they would have "hopefully" known that the top was removable and reduced or eliminated the chances of damaging the door frame.

No one could ever get this table down to say, a basement area, if the top wasn't removable.

However, my take away from your comments would be to talk to the sales manager and manufacturer.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:03 pm

camaro327 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 am
I guess I should clarify that this is in-home delivery and the one door did not get damaged, it was the frame. If they had contacted the manufacturer from the start they would have "hopefully" known that the top was removable and reduced or eliminated the chances of damaging the door frame.

No one could ever get this table down to say, a basement area, if the top wasn't removable.

However, my take away from your comments would be to talk to the sales manager and manufacturer.
I would be surprised if in home delivery means removing doors to get the furniture into the house. Most of these delivery companies just have a x amount extra or "white glove service" just meaning carrying it in, removing all the wrapping, and removing the wrapping from the house. They usually have fine print even saying it is the responsibilities of the buyer to make sure the purchased product fits into the house, hallways, and door frames. Either way the damage to the furniture is a NO NO as that is their responsibility. Just explain that to the furniture store that the furniture was damaged by the delivery guys. Sorry did not see the OP closely, but did you notice the damage to the furniture when it happened? If so, did you notify the delivery guys at that time? Either way, did you sign the paperwork from the delivery guys saying everything was fine (the small print usually says you looked at the delivery and their was no damage)?

Either way, yes, best move is to talk to the furniture store.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:55 pm

I would never let delivery people take off a door or anything similar.

I would sooner just refuse the delivery and tell them to take it back to the store and get a refund, simply saying it didn't fit.

If the store gives you trouble or can't come up with an alternative solution (like changing to a smaller product), I would dispute the credit card bill.
(That's why I almost always use a credit card, no matter what, unless it's used, where I use Paypal.)

You basically have to live with this (the damage to your house) and get it fixed yourself on your own dime. Maybe you can talk about this in a yelp review of the store or delivery service. But that's the best I think you can do.

Maybe, just maybe, if it's a big, well-known store chain or department store, you could take it up with the central customer service dept. and see if you can get some compensation.

As far as the damage to the goods you bought, then I think you have more of a case. If they delivered things and damaged them in the process, they should replace them. So definitely complain about that, take photos, and maybe contest the payment.

chevca

Post by chevca » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:18 pm

camaro327 wrote:
I recently purchased a fairly expensive small table set, about $4,000.
Doesn't sound very small if it didn't fit through the door. :happy

I agree that you seem to be expecting a little much in terms of recourse. As much as it would be nice if furniture movers were perfect and never bumped anything, dinged anything, or caused damage, it happens. The guys are moving large heavy things that you didn't want to. Cut 'em a little slack.

We had a heavy recliner couch moved up and down from a second floor location twice within a year. Both times the movers dinged things up and caused minor damage. What I did... thanked them very much for doing their best and doing something I had NO interest at all in trying to do myself. Then... I fixed the minor damage. It's just a possibility of moving.

Contact the store to see if they will do anything. Then fix the damage or have it fixed. Move on with life. Simple.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Many furniture stores have policies about how they handle it when a customer orders something that doesn’t fit through the door or through stairways. So probably want to talk to them first. No idea why the table would not be refundable if it was damaged.

wilked

Post by wilked » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:03 pm

camaro327 wrote:
I would like to ensure my sliding door is working correctly and I don't trust the delivery guys to fix that properly and that's all they offered.
They offered to fix your door, and that didn't satisfy you?

Not to be the bad person here, but you are coming across a little bit unreasonable

This table sounds big, and your home sounds tricky to get into. A few scuffed doorways likely to be expected here - I bet that table weighs a ton. All that takes is a little sanding and paint - you don't need a quote for that. They offered to dix your door and you refused, and now you want additional recourse?

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 pm

wilked wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:03 pm
They offered to fix your door, and that didn't satisfy you?
No they've fixed it as well as they can, it's loose. The key here is they could've removed the top, which they could've avoided most if not all of the damage, if they had just researched that fact ahead of time.

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:52 pm

chevca wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Doesn't sound very small if it didn't fit through the door. :happy
This made me chuckle, lightens the situation.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and ideas. I've learned it's always a little hard to describe the situations, since there is so many types of furniture stores and delivery methods. This one seems to come down to not reading or asking for directions before they attempted to bring it in my house.

There claiming no damage to the table and they will deliver it probably in a few weeks. Remember they still have to get the correct chairs from the original post. So I think I'll contact my credit card company and ask them what I can do if the order remains messed up.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:58 am

Go talk to the retailer. If it was their own delivery company (vs a contractor), they likely have insurance that covers damage to both the furniture as well as damage to the house. Even a contractor company likely has insurance for this. Happens often - you're not the first to have had damage due to deliveries. Don't listen to those here saying it's all on you - find out what your recourse is because you probably have some.