Tires: Where to Get? Warranty? And Questions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
UALflyer

Re: Tires: Where to Get? Warranty? And Questions?

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 08, 2018 9:00 am

carolinaman wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 am
Michelin's warranty requirements are difficult to meet and thus null and void in most cases.
Michelin's treadware warranty requirements are standard and are exactly the same as those provided by other major tire manufacturers. Assuming that your tire does come with a treadware warranty (some ultra high performance tires don't, which is clearly disclosed up front), you do need to keep up with regular rotations and ensure that your wheels are aligned (all tire warranties exclude damage caused by misuse and mechanical problems related to the vehicles). The warranties never cover removal and reinstallation fees.

What can happen, however, is that a lot of tire salesmen have a financial incentive to sell you new tires and to come up with a way to deny warranty claims. This happens a lot when you get your tires at car dealers, for instance. You won't have this issue at places like Costco and Discount Tire.
The tire person at Toyota told me it is very rare for someone to be in compliance with Michelin's warranty.
What the dealership salesman did not tell you is that this has nothing to do with Michelin's warranty and everything to do with his compensation structure.

Do not buy tires at dealerships. The overall prices tend to not be competitive, and dealerships are notorious for taking these positions, which cause you to pay more for the next set of tires.
Last edited by UALflyer on Tue May 08, 2018 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 08, 2018 9:11 am

AndroAsc wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:46 am
Discount Tires installation and certificates are way too expensive. They are charge $90 for installation and ~$60 for the certificates (extra warranty/insurance). Costco only charge $56 for installation and certificates are free, so we're talking almost 3X more expensive for non-tire related fees.
Discount Tire's "certificates" are an upsell. All major tire manufacturers already provide road hazard warranties built into the price of their tires (these warranties only kick in for unrepairable damage; if a tire is repairable, Discount Tire will fix it for free without a certificate), but the warranties are pro-rated. Discount Tire certificates provide the same coverage, but only for the first 3 years, without prorating coverage.

I always decline Discount Tire's certificates (when I do, the salesman usually offers to discount the certificate price by 50%. I still decline them, as they're a poor deal for most people). Costco's road hazard coverage is the same exact pro-rated coverage that you get at Discount Tire without a certificate.
Although I just realize that Bridgestones do have mileage warranty...
All manufacturers have tires with and without mileage warranties. It depends on the tire and the tread construction.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 08, 2018 9:29 am

AZAttorney11 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:57 am
I've owned a set of Michelin Defenders and they were garbage. I rotate my tires every 7,500 miles like clockwork, and the tread depth was at 4/32 at 58,000 miles. The warranty was 90,000 (now reduced to 80,000).
There is more to tire quality than its longevity. In general terms, the tires that offer the best handling, control, and grip will also wear out the fastest, as the way that they achieve superior performance is by using the softest compounds. There is a reason, for instance, that race car tires wear out so quickly. The corollary to the above is that the longest lasting tires tend to prioritize longevity by sacrificing handling, control and grip.

So, in general, I actually tend to stay away from all tires with 80-90K mileage warranties (you should actually be comparing their UTQG specs, while keeping in mind that different manufacturers may calculate their specs differently), as the sacrifices in their handling, control and grip tend to be too much for my taste. Having said that, how long a tire lasts is a function not just of the compound and the rotation, but also your specific vehicle and your driving. On some vehicles, however, tires just wear out quickly.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 am

bottlecap wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:39 pm
If I wanted Michelin’s, I would buy them even if I couldn’t wait until they were $70 off at Costco.
For those who don't know, Michelin always has its $70 off rebate running somewhere. All that Michelin does is rotate the rebate among different retailers, such that you never have a situation where every single Michelin retailer in the country is running its rebate at the same time.

So, if you need Michelin tires and your favorite retailer does not currently have Michelin's $70 off rebate, check with another retailer, as there is always one that is offering it.

Also, depending on the retailer and the rebate, some retailers are able to tell you not just when the rebate in question will start running, but also advance the effective date for you by a few days.

BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney » Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 am

For some reason TireRack and NTB sell their tires for cheaper on Ebay than their own sites (with free shipping too!), so check there! If you already know the type of tire you want you can search for that, or you can search by your make/model/year to see tires that fit.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 08, 2018 11:20 am

vested1 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:44 pm
We've always taken our cars to a local dealer who is a Tire Pro member because of their service and honesty. They mentioned in the past that Costco tires may be cheaper but are of lower grade, but take that for what it's worth.
So, the retailer that you use because of its "honesty" has mentioned that Costco tires are of "lower grade"?!

There are certain products, such as electronics, that are made specifically for warehouse clubs (which makes it a little more difficult to compare them), but tires isn't one of them. The tires that are sold at Costco have the exact same model names and numbers, materials and warranties that are sold at other retailers. Other retailers may offer brands and models that aren't sold at Costco, and some very large tire chains, such as Discount Tire, have some models that are exclusive to that chain, but the tires that Costco carries that are also sold at other retailers are of the exact same "grade."
We bought 4 new tires in November of 2015 for our Rav4. The tires had a 75,000 mile warranty on them. The additional tire protection, (6 years and 75,000 miles) cost about $14 a tire. On Saturday we picked up a bolt through one of them, so I put on the spare and drove it to the dealer. The tire was non-repairable and needed to be replaced. The new tire, which matches the old ones was listed at $124.95. The discount was 67%, a combination of 2.5 years of use (58% discount off 6 years) and 17,428 miles (76% discount off 75,000 miles), 58 + 76 = 134 divided by 2 = 67%. That equated to a discount on the new tire of $83.72 ($41.23 net cost). The warranty on all 4 tires was $56, and we've had a couple of other repairs from nails and such in the interim, all done for free.

I'm not one who buys extended warranties, but the unpredictability of road hazards make purchasing one for tires a no-brainer in my opinion. Needless to say, I bought a new tire protection contact on the new tire for $14.
Most major tire manufacturers include prorated road hazard protection (which covers situations where tires are not repairable) in the price of the tire. So, the situation that you are describing where the tire was not repairable would've been covered by most manufacturers at no additional charge.

Certain tire retailers, such as Costco and Discount Tire, will not charge you anything extra to fix repairable damage and do not charge you anything extra up front for this coverage.
as all we had for a spare was a small donut, incapable of freeway travel.
Donut spares are very much capable of freeway travel and are routinely used for this purpose. You are just generally advised not to exceed approximately 50mph on a donut.
Last edited by UALflyer on Tue May 08, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue May 08, 2018 11:31 am

I've never heard of Tire Pro, but they are not honest if that's what they say about Costco. And they aren't doing anyone any favors by replacing just one tire at a discount, either. If it can't be repaired, you have to buy another one at Costco, but they give you a matching new tire at no cost on the other side.

Usually, these threads boil down to recommendations for Discount Tire or Costco.

Some folks don't like the wait at Costco, but they also tend to exaggerate. Costco usually takes 45 min to an hour if you don't have an appointment. We usually arrive early and arrange our tire rotations to coincide with shopping trips.

Costco is not perfect in every respect, but they are usually about the cheapest and I have never, ever, had to take my vehicle back to have the tires rebalanced because they didn't do it right the first time. I can't say that about any other tire place I've used, but I don't think I've ever used Discount Tire.

JT

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 08, 2018 12:44 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:31 am
I've never heard of Tire Pro, but they are not honest if that's what they say about Costco.
Tire Pros is not a retailer. It's just a marketing program where small independent tire retailers join this program, which is advertised as offering certain benefits to the customers on a national basis. It's a way for small independent retailers to attract customers.

This is the reason that you won't see any prices online, as you aren't actually contacting a specific retailer. Instead, your inquiry would be routed to a local independent shop, which sets its own prices.

The concept itself is fine, but you'll generally pay more at all these small shops, and service quality and pricing is going to vary widely retailer to retailer, as the only thing uniting them is their voluntary participation in this marketing program.
Last edited by UALflyer on Wed May 09, 2018 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:29 am
AZAttorney11 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:57 am
I've owned a set of Michelin Defenders and they were garbage. I rotate my tires every 7,500 miles like clockwork, and the tread depth was at 4/32 at 58,000 miles. The warranty was 90,000 (now reduced to 80,000).
There is more to tire quality than its longevity. In general terms, the tires that offer the best handling, control, and grip will also wear out the fastest, as the way that they achieve superior performance is by using the softest compounds. There is a reason, for instance, that race car tires wear out so quickly. The corollary to the above is that the longest lasting tires tend to prioritize longevity by sacrificing handling, control and grip.

So, in general, I actually tend to stay away from all tires with 80-90K mileage warranties (you should actually be comparing their UTQG specs, while keeping in mind that different manufacturers may calculate their specs differently), as the sacrifices in their handling, control and grip tend to be too much for my taste. Having said that, how long a tire lasts is a function not just of the compound and the rotation, but also your specific vehicle and your driving. On some vehicles, however, tires just wear out quickly.
+1. I doubt a tire will last 90,000 miles and have good grip on the ice and good braking on a hard stop.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Opinions are influenced by personal experience at local dealers, as shown in this thread. My single experience with Discount Tire was far from positive. I had just purchased a new travel trailer and had picked it up from the manufacturer in Rice Texas, before towing it back home to California. The manufacturer does not provide tire balancing, so I stopped to get the trailer tires balanced at the nearest Discount Tire location.

I had to stop the man who was assigned to do the job from jacking up the trailer at the incorrect location, which would have crushed the copper gas lines running on the underside of the molded fiberglass trailer. He didn't even bend down to look before setting his floor jack, and seemed unfazed by my concern. So I guess no business is perfect.

A quick perusal on Google shows that opinions on Costco tires vary widely, with the biggest complaint being over wait times. Big box stores like Walmart and Costco do carry proprietary house versions of brand name tires of lower quality for a lower price, but identical models at box stores and smaller retail outlets are of the same quality, as pointed out by other members.

I'll stick to free repairs and free rotations with our local dealer, and discounted replacement if needed, based on usage after free replacement within 12 months and 12k miles, up to 6 years and 75k miles. If their service declines, or they break their promises they will have lost a customer. All this tells me is that everything depends on how each individual location makes customer service a priority.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 08, 2018 1:28 pm

A quick perusal on Google shows that opinions on Costco tires vary widely, with the biggest complaint being over wait times.
Right, if without an appointment you stop by a high volume Costco on a weekend, particularly one when they're running a good tire promotion (such as the most recent $70 off Michelin tires, plus free installation, so it was something like $126 off), you could be waiting for a very long time. If you make an appointment, however, they'll get you taken care of while you shop, thereby actually saving you time.
vested1 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:18 pm
Big box stores like Walmart and Costco do carry proprietary house versions of brand name tires of lower quality for a lower price
I do not know about Walmart, but this is categorically untrue for Costco. Costco does not carry any "proprietary house versions of brand name tires of lower quality."

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 09, 2018 5:30 am

vested1 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:14 am
As I mentioned earlier, we had a tire replaced yesterday with a 67% discount due to an errant bolt through a tire with light use. On the way home I picked up a metal screw in a different tire and a nail in another. I'm taking the car back to the tire shop today to have both tires repaired for free. Maybe I should consider moving to an area that doesn't have careless contractors spewing screws, nails, and bolts all over the road from their trucks.
On the flipside, you paid just about full boat for that tire, between the proration of the warranty, and the $56 upfront cost of the warranty. Costco's road hazard coverage is included, and at least in my case was not prorated. So when a pothole put a small leak in the sidewall of one of my tires (which are $216 each), they replaced it for free, no questions asked, even though there were wear marks right over the hole because I had driven on it slowly to a gas station to refill so I could get home.

And that warranty is good whether you have the paperwork with you or not. So that other one would have been replaced free too. Essentially you have a warranty that resulted in you paying the full cost of two tires, to replace two tires, and half the price of a new tire if you never used it. Where do I sign up? :P

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 am

This thread is helpful. I need new tires and plan to be mobile the next few years. I suppose if I purchased from Costco and wanted a warranty - I would have to maintain a Costco membership for the next few years?

Anyone know if these other companies mentioned would have nationwide service, if needed? thank you

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 am

TresBelle65 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 am
This thread is helpful. I need new tires and plan to be mobile the next few years. I suppose if I purchased from Costco and wanted a warranty - I would have to maintain a Costco membership for the next few years?
Anyone know if these other companies mentioned would have nationwide service, if needed? thank you
We already have a Costco membership - and intend to continue it. On one of our older Camrys - my wife got 2 Michelin Defenders last year - and the other two tires seem to have some more miles left. Our other older Camry will probably need four new tires within the upcoming year - so it would be great to time the replacement with the 4 tire Costco discount - $70 PLUS about $60 for using the Costco CitiCard.

Does anyone know with that frequency or timing Costco offers this $70 4 tire Michelin discount? I suspect it may be worth replacing the 4 tires a bit earlier to get that discount?

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:19 am

Great thread.

Last tires were purchased at Costco. For the Sonata at least, really not a great selection of tires. The last two times we were in for a tire rotation it took over four hours of waiting there. I know we missed one rotation based solely on the dread factor. So, based on the previous posts, we will be purchasing our next set at either Walmart or Discount Tires. Both are way closer and since I already get my oil changed at Walmart (very short wait) perhaps I will do both at the same time.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am

Either Costco or Discount Tire. Both offer good service, but Discount Tire might be a touch better. I go with whoever is giving me the better deal. Interestingly, my Odyssey came with OEM Michelin Primacy which wore out at 34k miles (though rated for 60k). I went with the Bridgestone Dueler which I used to have on my RX and which seemed to last forever.

Also, nitrogen in your tires doesn't really matter.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:29 am

new2bogle wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am
Either Costco or Discount Tire. Both offer good service, but Discount Tire might be a touch better. I go with whoever is giving me the better deal.
Also, nitrogen in your tires doesn't really matter.
When my wife got the two tires at Costco last year - it turned out that they were the very highly rated (by Consumer Reports) Michelin Defenders. Even at the regular Costco price - not very bad. :)

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:30 am

UALflyer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:28 pm
A quick perusal on Google shows that opinions on Costco tires vary widely, with the biggest complaint being over wait times.
Right, if without an appointment you stop by a high volume Costco on a weekend, particularly one when they're running a good tire promotion (such as the most recent $70 off Michelin tires, plus free installation, so it was something like $126 off), you could be waiting for a very long time. If you make an appointment, however, they'll get you taken care of while you shop, thereby actually saving you time.
Another trick is to show up early in the morning. Costco actually opens up 15 minutes before their stated opening time. Be the first one in line at the tire shop and you will be in and out real quick. Rotating every 7k miles is a bit excessive though (which is what Costco said I needed to do).

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 pm

We bought our last set of tires at WalMart for my wife's car. For my car, NTB had buy 3 get one free OEM tires so they were lots cheaper there.
Both way cheaper than Costco and looking today they appear considerable cheaper than Discount tire for my wife's car.

z91

Post by z91 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:35 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:11 am
I always decline Discount Tire's certificates (when I do, the salesman usually offers to discount the certificate price by 50%. I still decline them, as they're a poor deal for most people).
I guess it depends on the specific model, the salesman, and the markup, but I once bought tires there with certificates and got my tires installed. I ended up waiting an extra 10-15 mins in the lobby because my car was done but they never called my name. I got up, asked about the car, and I was angry so I asked them to cancel the certificates since I knew it was a money maker for them. The salesman apologized for the wait, said, "I think these are really important so I'll give them to you for free" and he did. I never used it though..which I guess tells you the actual value of those things.

They are a great company though, patched a tire for me for free and I just went there last week and spent 500+ on new tires for my car. Got in and out in an hour, not like Costco who takes an entire day and still has more expensive tires.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:41 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:30 am
UALflyer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:28 pm
Another trick is to show up early in the morning. Costco actually opens up 15 minutes before their stated opening time. Be the first one in line at the tire shop and you will be in and out real quick. Rotating every 7k miles is a bit excessive though (which is what Costco said I needed to do).
Thanks for the tip ")

totesmagotes

Post by totesmagotes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:51 pm

z91 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:35 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:11 am
I always decline Discount Tire's certificates (when I do, the salesman usually offers to discount the certificate price by 50%. I still decline them, as they're a poor deal for most people).
I guess it depends on the specific model, the salesman, and the markup, but I once bought tires there with certificates and got my tires installed. I ended up waiting an extra 10-15 mins in the lobby because my car was done but they never called my name. I got up, asked about the car, and I was angry so I asked them to cancel the certificates since I knew it was a money maker for them. The salesman apologized for the wait, said, "I think these are really important so I'll give them to you for free" and he did. I never used it though..which I guess tells you the actual value of those things.

They are a great company though, patched a tire for me for free and I just went there last week and spent 500+ on new tires for my car. Got in and out in an hour, not like Costco who takes an entire day and still has more expensive tires.
I've purchased 5 sets of tires (4 tires in a "set") for my vehicles over the past ~15 years. I've never NOT used a replacement certificate, and I'm averaging ~2 "used" per set (that is, I've been averaging ~2 replacement tires per set). With the replacement certs, DT will replacement the tire with a new one, no pro-rating involved. Manufacturers warranty do NOT cover road hazard damage -- they, AFAIK, only cover tread wear problems or "defects" in the tire, and they are nearly always pro-rated based on mileage. The only "limit" for DT's replacements certs really is the 3-yr coverage period. All of the replacements I've had have been because of sidewall punctures (nails, screws, etc.), a side effect of living near a construction company and new housing development for some time. With what I would have spent on the replacement tires compared to the cost of the certs, I've come out ahead. (Note that this can be a win-win -- the certs may have saved me money considering retail price and still have made DT money if the certs bring in more money than the wholesale cost of the tire).

I've almost always had great experiences with DT, so they get my recommendation.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:59 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 am
Does anyone know with that frequency or timing Costco offers this $70 4 tire Michelin discount? I suspect it may be worth replacing the 4 tires a bit earlier to get that discount?
With the exception of an occasional 2-5 day gap between promotions, Costco ALWAYS has either Bridgestone or Michelin on sale for $70 off s a set of 4. If they're currently running the Bridgestone deal and you want Michelins, wait until it expires, then call and ask what the new promotion is. Sometimes it will be a repeat, sometimes they switch. I haven't seen a rhyme or reason.

The real bargain, which they have 3-4 times per year is the $70 discount paired with penny install/warranty (normally $15/tire). Sometimes this is limited to Executive members, sometimes it's open to all members.
new2bogle wrote:
None of the Costcos in my area do this. More than once I've been in a line 20 people deep for the tire center (or 400 deep for the main store) at 9:40, and the door was opened at 10:01.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:08 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:59 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 am
With the exception of an occasional 2-5 day gap between promotions, Costco ALWAYS has either Bridgestone or Michelin on sale for $70 off s a set of 4. If they're currently running the Bridgestone deal and you want Michelins, wait until it expires, then call and ask what the new promotion is. Sometimes it will be a repeat, sometimes they switch. I haven't seen a rhyme or reason.
The real bargain, which they have 3-4 times per year is the $70 discount paired with penny install/warranty (normally $15/tire). Sometimes this is limited to Executive members, sometimes it's open to all members.
new2bogle wrote:
None of the Costcos in my area do this. More than once I've been in a line 20 people deep for the tire center (or 400 deep for the main store) at 9:40, and the door was opened at 10:01.
Thanks - I think it might be a net benefit to even get the set of 4 Michelins a bit early to get the savings. I will also keep the list of the dates. Might be a bit safer as well - an added benefit ..

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 am

I've been happy with TireRack & the fact that a distribution center is nearby is a bonus .