Frameless Shower Glass Thickness?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
yolli71

Frameless Shower Glass Thickness?

Post by yolli71 »

I'm in the middle of getting some estimates on a frameless glass shower for my master bath. I have a corner shower with a knee wall, so there will be 3 pieces of glass: 1 on top of the knee wall, 1 stationary panel, and a 28" door.

The first 2 companies gave me estimates for 3/8" glass. However, the company that gave me my 3rd estimate said they recommend doing 1/2" glass for the 2 stationary panels, and 3/8" for the door. He said 1/2" offers more stability, but they use 3/8" (instead of 1/2") for the door because of the weight of the glass and how it must be hinged to the wall and so forth. He said the clear door stoppers are about 1/8", so when the glass door is shut, it will be even with the 1/2" stationary glass and the difference in thickness won't be noticeable.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of setup (where the glass thickness of the door and stationary panels aren't the same)? I should note that this company is actually about $200 cheaper than the first 2 companies, so I don't think they're trying to scam me. I just wasn't sure about the glass configuration they proposed.
yukonjack

Re: Frameless Shower Glass Thickness?

Post by yukonjack »

I have the very same setup in my master bathroom. When I had my glass installed 5 years ago the company (very reputable Denver metro business) used 3/8 inch glass all around. IMO it seems plenty thick and stable, not sure why you would need even more glass. Personally I would go with the company that has the better track record. $200 isn’t enough to fuss over.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Only our door is frameless glass. I recall the GC saying just the door was about $1000. I don’t know the width but it certainly isn’t 1/2 inch. Maybe 3/8.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

My 3/8" frameless glass seems plenty sturdy but its not a huge panel that has a free corner, maybe only 1-2ft wide. You can flex it maybe a half inch or so if you want. Maybe go look at some showroom examples to see if you can tell a difference.
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

My frameless glass shower inclosure has the 1/2" thick for the stationary pieces and 3/8" for the door. The rational was as the OP described; less weight for the door. You cannot tell the difference. The setup is very stable.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I priced it out both ways and ended up with 3/8 due to costs. I understand you to be saying that you can get 1/2" in the fixed and 3/8" on the door for less than your other bid/s and that would have made me go with that. The stability is less of an issue for me than the look. 1/2" glass looks better and feels stronger. The door needs a well built wall to hang from and the reduced weight helps a bit with that. Sounds like a sound proposal to me.

I think the thickness debate is a little over-hyped. Over time, the seal, having a straight and solid wall to hang from, and using your squeegee will have more impact on your enjoyment.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

I have two shower doors, 1/2” and 3/8”.

I agree 1/2” looks better feels stronger and is heavier but no complaints either wise.

It’s really a personal preference.
Topic Author
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

Thanks for the responses...I'm feeling better about that configuration now!