Why plumbers are so expensive?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goaapl

Why plumbers are so expensive?

Post by goaapl »

We have a slight leak at the water pressure regulator outside. Not too much, a drop every minute or so. I want to fix it before the problem becomes bigger. So I called a plumber and he said the regulator is really old and needs to be changed. Quote is $700 for parts and labor! I checked on home depot, the part costs less than $100. So the labor is $600 for less than an hour work. I watched youtube videos and it is not complicated at all. I am seriously thinking to do it by myself. But why do these people charge ridiculous amount? This is in Southern California.
rkhusky

Re: Why plumbers are so expensive?

Post by rkhusky »

Supply and demand?

How many quotes did you get?
jminv

Post by jminv »

Supply/demand, travel time, licensure, insured, and possible complications increasing time spent on fixed price job. Watch a tutorial video or find a handyman (Craigslist, angieslist, etc).

Sounds like you had him check the issue at your house since he said regulator was old and needed to be replaced? Any business that has someone that has to go out and quote jobs will be higher priced to pay for the estimator’s time. He might only get 10% of the jobs he quotes on but needs to be compensated for his time for the 90% he doesn’t too.

Now that you know what the problem is and know what needs to be done you can use that to secure lower quotes without the need for someone to come out.
Last edited by jminv on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anoop

Post by anoop »

goaapl wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:03 pm We have a slight leak at the water pressure regulator outside. Not too much, a drop every minute or so. I want to fix it before the problem becomes bigger. So I called a plumber and he said the regulator is really old and needs to be changed. Quote is $700 for parts and labor! I checked on home depot, the part costs less than $100. So the labor is $600 for less than an hour work. I watched youtube videos and it is not complicated at all. I am seriously thinking to do it by myself. But why do these people charge ridiculous amount? This is in Southern California.
How did you find this one? Quotes can vary greatly. I had one guy quote me > $300 to fix a leaky faucet. A second guy fixed it, plus did some caulking work all for $90. He would have done even more if I had anything else that needed to be fixed since his company's rate was $90/hr and he was done with these 2 jobs in 1/2 hr.

I suggest you check with neighbors and friends for someone trustworthy.
Last edited by anoop on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john4546

Post by john4546 »

Businesses have overhead to pay for I guess. Ask the plumber to describe his benefits package (health, disability, unemployment insurance, etc. - this also costs a lot money which are passed onto the customer).

There is also just greed - charging what they can get away with.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I recommend getting more than one quote. If the plumber is plenty busy and not itching for work, he may have just increased his quote to increase his profit because he's not in need of the work.
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

You need to remember that its not just an hours work. The plumber needs to go to the parts house, pick up the regulator, drive to your home, make the repair, and then go to his or her next call. Now I don’t live in So. Cal, but being in San Jose, I hear about how the Southern California traffic is worse than the Bay Area traffic. So conceiveably, all-in, your repair could take up 2,3,4 hours of the day. If I was going to potentially dedicate half of my day at one location for a small repair, I’m sure my rate would look outrageous also.

Or maybe their just gouging because they can or they don’t want to do the work. YMMV

I also agree with Rkhusky, get a few additional quotes.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Ask the plumber.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

jminv wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:08 pm Supply/demand, travel time, licensure, insured, and possible complications increasing time spent on fixed price job.
+1

Also consider salaries for the secretary, fixed home base costs for storing all those parts, cost of a company truck, etc. If they priced every job like yours at parts cost plus say $50 per hour, they would never break even.
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

My example wouldn't apply to your particular situation (as it isn't dire), but it may reveal the thought process of some plumbers.

A plumber friend of mine would tell 'plumber stories' and they usually revolved around weekend work where frantic people would call him up and beg him to come fix whatever problem they had. Often times this involved the 'dirtier' side of plumbing that nobody wants to deal with or think about (very smelly, too). One weekend he fixed a person's problem and then billed them for the work. The person called him up freaked out about the large amount and his response was always, "How much would you charge to stick your hand in other people's s#%t?" That answer worked every time.