Cheapest way to get spare car keys

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 pm

My lovely daughter has a 2014 Honda CR-V. She lost one key and now has just one remaining key. Twice in the past few months she has called me to say she lost that key and in an hour so she called back to say she found it. I’m trying to get her to buy a set of spare keys electively, rather than wait for an emergency situation.

What is the best option? Should she go to her local Honda dealer? Are there locksmiths that will come to her place of work? She is doing her residency and works 70-80 hours a week. I’m a 4 hour flight away from her. So I can’t really help her physically.

bottlecap

Re: Cheapest way to get spare car keys

Post by bottlecap » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:02 pm

The only option is probably the dealer. Keys nowadays have chips in them. You can’t get copies made like you can with your house key.

JT

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 pm

I'm not familiar with the 2014 Honda. With my 2004 era keys, you could program a third key if you had 2 keys. If you only had 1 key, you could buy a key off eBay, cut it at a hardware store, and then have the dealer program it. With my newest car, there is no alternative except for the dealer.

However, you can provide the VIN number to the dealer and they can order keys, and then your daughter can stop by and pick them up. I would imagine if you had the VIN number, you could buy them over the phone to make things easy for her.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:41 pm

You can buy the key on the internet (search on your model AND year), and have it cut using the existing key. You will still need to program it, and typically you need two keys in hand to program a new one yourself.

A competent locksmith can also program a new key by itself, and of course cut it. They can also cut a key using only the code (if you know the code which is typically provided to a new car owner at purchase).

If all else fails, you need to use a dealer who can do all of the above, but may be the most expensive option. My dealer cut the key I had purchased on the internet for about $10-15, but cut it as a copy--not using the code. They didn't charge because I asked them nicely while having a lot of work done.

Note that there may be dealers that can sell you a key via the Internet from anywhere in the country at a very reasonable price. They typically will do some sort of verification that you (she) are (is) the real owner of the car, or only ship it to the registered address on file with the manufacturer. You still need to program the car to accept it which will require a local dealer or locksmith since you don't have a second key.
Last edited by criticalmass on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 pm

From what I gather (never had to do it), the least expensive way is to buy OEM replacement online (amazon, eBay, or other source). Dealer or qualified locksmith needs to program and cut key. Or just go right to Honda dealer and they’ll charge you more.

I also believe that you will need key code tag/number (comes with keys at time of purchase) or sometimes dealer can get info from VIN. All this is from what I’ve gathered from online research in the past so needs to be verified. Basically, the info has motivated me to make sure not to lose my keys.

Edit: criticalmass seems to have the detailed info.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Keys have become a lot more complicated and expensive in current cars.

Some locksmiths can cut and program keys for certain models of recent cars.

You need to call and ask about the specific model.

Easiest but most expensive way to get new key and get it programmed is to take car to dealer, buy key from them and have them program it to the car.

Note that most keys require two separate and different programming steps to "register" the new key into the car's ECU - 1) program the key to start the engine 2) program the key's remote control to operate locks, trunk, etc.

Also note that some dealers and locksmiths will refuse to cut keys that were not purchased from them - (metal too hard or wrong type) on non OEM or internet sourced key blanks that supposedly can damage expensive key cutting machines. Before you buy a discount key online call around to find someone to agree to cut it for you.

Also be aware that losing the only remaining key for your car can be an extremely expensive problem. In some car's no new keys can be added without having at least one existing key that the engine ECU recognizes. With no keys some cars actually require a new engine ECU or require a factory reset on the existing ECU and reprogramming. This can easily run $1-2k or more in parts and labor plus cost of new keys. Do not ever buy a used car with only one key or if you do get a second backup key made asap.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:16 pm

My gf at the time, now wife, made me always return my keys to the exact spot in the apartment. Haven't lost my keys since. A keyrack or simple basket works well. It saved her from having to participate in frequent key hunts.

You may want to have an additional key made and give it to a close friend of your daughter to keep just in case she gets locked out.

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks so much for all the information! I really appreciate it.

go140point6

Post by go140point6 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 pm

Ace Hardware if you (she) have one near. They didn't even need the code, they have some magic box that reads the code from your other key. Mine was for a 2010 Honda Fit, and it cost $90 but the dealer was at least double that. Took about 30 minutes from start to finish (a couple trips out to the car in the parking lot) and it worked great.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:52 am

You would want to check but when she is getting the keys made she may be able to get them to make an extra key or two for little extra cost.

Be sure to check to make sure all the keys work before you need them. I have had them make new keys and when they updated the car they accidentally deprogrammed an old key so it would no longer work.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:32 am

We had that problem with our Honda keys. A family member made a replacement key for one he thought he lost while on a trip. When he got home with the vehicle, the remaining key still at home would no longer work. We took it to our Honda service center to have it reprogrammed. We told the Honda service center that we did not know that the home key was being left out, so he did not charge us for reprogramming it to sync with the other keys. Make sure every key still works before you leave the service center.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:38 am

To minimize the chances of the key going AWOL, would a neck lanyard suit her purposes?

Something like these (I have no personal experience with this company):

Lanyards and Neck Strap Key Holders - keyring.com

Particularly if she's wearing scrubs, the pockets are not always as secure as they should be.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 am

Find a (former) car thief and ask him/her for a low cost option.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 am

I wanted to make a copy for my DW 2016 Mazda car key. I bought the key from a seller on ebay. The key looked so genuine. Went to an authorized AAA locksmith who failed to program it, so I took the key to the dealership who had no problem programming it.
The key itself was around $40 (much cheaper than if provided by dealership), and the fees to program it was around $90
Edit: Oh and another $40 to cut the physical key itself
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 am

This is a total digression. No keys needed to run our two Tesla vehicles, they can be unlocked and started with app on our smartphones. Same with the Model 3. Have used on more than one occasion, very easy. In fact routinely use smartphone to remotely start a/c when near to finish golf game or shopping at mall and car parked in Florida sun. My point is that I think in not too distant future most auto manufacturers will be producing vehicles that can be operated with personal electronics and do not need physical keys. Does not answer your query, I too have spent lots of money at dealers for replacement keys for ICE vehicles. Just observing. Good luck. Edit: we also have lovely daughter in Med school who keeps misplacing her Volvo car key. We bought a Tile for her keychain and she has been able to find key using her smartphone to activate the noise on the Tile. Tile also has gps tied to smartphone. Amazon sells them of course. Cheaper than getting new key.
Last edited by jdb on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 pm
This thread is mind-blowing. My wife and I each carry a copy of a key to both of our cars. If one got lost, I'd just take the other one to Home Depot and have them make me another for a few bucks.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Depends on the car. We bought our 03 Prius with only one key assuming it could be easily copied. Turns out it has a transponder (?) Inside the key that can't be copied. It somehow signals the computer to start the car. Dealer said only remedy if the last key gets lost is to replace the car's computer at a cost of multiple thousands of dollars.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:50 pm

It will vary by car model but a Honda I had also came with tag a set of numbers that you would need if you even needed a key made.

I scanned that and emailed it to myself so that I could get a key made if I was 500 miles away from home and lost my keys. I never had to do that but my understanding was that I would need to have the car towed to a Honda dealership to do that since Honda did not allow locksmiths to have the equipment needed to make keys from scratch like that.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:58 pm

kenoryan wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 pm
My lovely daughter has a 2014 Honda CR-V. She lost one key and now has just one remaining key. Twice in the past few months she has called me to say she lost that key and in an hour so she called back to say she found it. I’m trying to get her to buy a set of spare keys electively, rather than wait for an emergency situation.

What is the best option? Should she go to her local Honda dealer? Are there locksmiths that will come to her place of work? She is doing her residency and works 70-80 hours a week. I’m a 4 hour flight away from her. So I can’t really help her physically.
Perhaps she is a good candidate for a Car Key Locator. It may work for her needs if it seems she misplaces more than anything else?

I don't have experience with any of them, but was ran into it on Amazon when searching for something else.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:22 pm

There are several good hardware stores near me who will make chip keys. You do need an existing key and the car for them to do it. Both charge $75.

I've found that there are 2 potential issues with keys. One is misplacing the key, in which case you need a chip key. The other is that you lock your keys in the car. For this problem, I've bought "hide-a-key" boxes for all our cars and had non chip keys cut. This way, you can get into the car, then use the key left in the car. I had this happen at the airport on my way out. I instinctively lock my car before getting out. Unfortunately, I obeyed the lot attendant to leave the keys in the ignition. A call to AAA and they were able to open the car before it was too late to make it to my flight.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:37 pm

I just purchased another key for our 2018 Honda Civic ,because I wanted it,not because I lost it
Local locksmith charged 150.00
Dealer would have been double that.

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

FrankLUSMC

Post by FrankLUSMC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Batteries+ stores can do chip keys and fobs.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:04 pm

A couple of other issues that can come up with getting keys cut, is for some keys purchased online, the programming tool at a local hardwares(for example) may be incompatible with that after market chip system. Think Apple vs Windows.

Also many newer keys have the profile deeply engraved into the blank, versus having the peaks and valleys cut on the edges.

The local hardware I worked for at the end of my worklife, until 2016, opted against getting the machine that could engrave the profile onto the blank. It was a multi- thousand dollar investment and with more keyless entry coming on it probably made sense to opt out.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:
This thread is mind-blowing. My wife and I each carry a copy of a key to both of our cars. If one got lost, I'd just take the other one to Home Depot and have them make me another for a few bucks.
You better also have access to a time machine to get to a local Home Depot in a year when a car key was still actually just a simple mechanical key : )

The average current model Toyota or Mazda remote key fob with key is going to cost apprx $200+ at a minimum to replace and reprogram and it is most definitely not going to happen at a Home Depot in 2018.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:10 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
jabberwockOG wrote:
You better also have access to a time machine to get to a local Home Depot in a year when a car key was still actually just a simple mechanical key : )

The average current model Toyota or Mazda remote key fob with key is going to cost apprx $200+ at a minimum to replace and reprogram and it is most definitely not going to happen at a Home Depot in 2018.
Heh, our 2001 Dodge Stratus and our 2001 Toyota Corolla keys are just a chunk of metal. I am saving up for our next car to be a DeLorean, though, which is from the early 80s. :D

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 am

I am saving up for our next car to be a DeLorean, though, which is from the early 80s. :D
There's also one DeLorean that's from November 5, 1955.
Semper Augustus

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:10 am
Heh, our 2001 Dodge Stratus and our 2001 Toyota Corolla keys are just a chunk of metal
Do you actually need a key with those? Just leave the keys in the ignition so you don't lose them. :twisted:

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 pm

Check your car insurance policy. Mine covers replacing lost keys, although I have never used this coverage and don't know the details.

I bought a former rental car that only came with one key. All I can say is when you only have one key, your really have to make sure you don't lose it. I have had some scares over the years, but so far I have not lost it. Should probably buy a replacement.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:50 pm

go140point6 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 pm
Ace Hardware if you (she) have one near. They didn't even need the code, they have some magic box that reads the code from your other key. Mine was for a 2010 Honda Fit, and it cost $90 but the dealer was at least double that. Took about 30 minutes from start to finish (a couple trips out to the car in the parking lot) and it worked great.
+1 I lost a key but Ms G had her's we stopped by an ACE $65 the guy went out to the truck and programed the key using a string of commands, good to go.

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 pm

We have a 2000 Toyota Avalon, which does have a chip. While copies can be programmed at some places besides the dealer, there is also a way to do it yourself if you have one of the original master keys- it involves pressing the brake and gas pedals in a certain pattern, which allows the car itself to program the new key. It appears that may not be possible with the OP's car, though.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:28 am

kenoryan wrote:
kenoryan wrote:
What is the best option?
Cheapest or easiest? Cheapest is probably ebay or a cheap local locksmith (if one can make a key for the vehicle and deal with the chip/programming issue) but those are also going to be potentially more risky. Dealer will be safest but definitely not cheapest. Pick your poison.
LiterallyIronic wrote:
There's no way Home Depot could make a key for either of our vehicles. Or even several prior vehicles for that matter.
kenoryan wrote:
Are there locksmiths that will come to her place of work? She is doing her residency and works 70-80 hours a week.
There are locksmiths that do that but whether or not one of them can make and program a key is something you'd need to confirm.

A dealership is going to require some time on her part. They may need the vehicle itself to program the key. I have no idea what it specifically takes for a 2014 CR-V but that's something you'll need to look into if you want to help her with this.

dcop

Post by dcop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 pm

I just upgraded from a 97 Corolla to a 2016 Escape. It came with only one key and I didnt think anything of it as I just figured I would stop at Ace and get a few extras made. Ha! So, my first extra I had made at the dealer since you have to have 2 keys to progam any new ones yourself. Then I biought a $10 one with transponder and hade it cut for 35$ at a locksmith, then programed it myself. So the 2nd key that I had the dealer make I keep im my wallet. The 3rd key which I just had the locksmith cut I was going to to tape under the front seat, hidden. Well while I was taping it it fell into a floor AC/heating vent and slid down a duct and I cant reteive it. Out 45 bucks. So I ordered and re-made another. This one is safely hidden inside the car. Also I ordered one without a transponder and had hit cut - total: 15 bucks. This one is taped inside where the gas cap access is (not a locking gas door). This key will open a door but not start up the ignition. So what I have is ....

My primary key.
Backup hidden inside car.
Backup in wallet.
Key for locks only in gas cap area.

Sounds like overkill but you never want to end up with zero keys with transponder ignitions these days. Will cost you a fortune.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:10 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
jabberwockOG wrote:

Home Depot does make car keys. I don’t know the cost.

When I had house keys made the other day, they came in a small bag that says “Why Pay Auto Dealer Prices” and then under that says “TransponderKeys”. Automotive security keys available at select locations.

There was a sign up at the key machine at my HD, too.

BTW, this won’t help the OP but if you have an auto key with a dead battery the dealer may replace it for a small cost. At my Honda dealer it was $7. I thought it would be a lot more.