Colorado Summer Vacation - what to see and where to stay

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MittensMoney

Re: Colorado Summer Vacation - what to see and where to stay

Post by MittensMoney » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:14 am

If you end up going to Summit County, you can rent a boat on Lake Dillon which is quite fun. Big lake in the middle of the mountains.

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 pm

TxAg wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:26 pm
buckstar wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:09 pm
If you want to hike, I would recommend at least a little time in Estes Park, not far from Denver and the entry to Rocky Mountain National Park. The Stanley Hotel is a classic.
Rocky Mtn Ntl Park is a beautiful place. Estes Park is a cool little town. It can get a bit crowded, but I'd jump at the chance to go back.
Not in June! It is Grand Central Station. It is way too crowded. Even the elk stay away. However, the park is one of my favorite places to go.

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 pm

yukonjack wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 am
alfaspider wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:36 pm
I would stay out of the front range area for the most part. It's crowded and much less pretty than the Western Slope. No reason to spend any time in Denver other than the airport (which isn't great, but flights to other parts of Colorado are expensive). However, Rocky Mountain National Park is absolutely worth seeing.

The summit county ski resort areas are OK, but also a bit crowded and less scenic than other parts of the state.

Sugestions for a 7-10 day trip:

Day 1: Fly in & acclimate. Boulder would be a nice place to stay. Perhaps a short hike around the flatirons.
Day 2: Drive to RMNP (~1 hr)
Day 3: Explore the park, visit Estes Park if you or the kids need a break from outdoor activities
Day 4: Drive to Grand Junction (~3 hrs) and visit Colorado National Monument (if you like desert scenery)
Day 5: Drive to Ouray area (~1.5 hr)- see the falls, take a Jeep Tour. Relax in the hot springs.
Day 6: Do the Durango to Silverton narrow gauge railway round trip
Day 7: Drive to Summit county. Breckenridge ski area has a nice outdoor adventure park with downhill mountain biking, an alpine slide, and various other activities.
Day 8: Drive up Mt. Evans on the way back to Denver. Alternate: go by way of Colorado Springs and do the Pikes Peak Cog RDay You'll want maximum acclimation before going up to one of these summits (over 14,000ft), but the views are spectacular.
The above is a nice, comprehensive list of options. The only thing I would add is a possible stay at the Y camp in Estes Park. A wonderful place for kids and surprisingly enjoyable for adults. It does fill up quickly so if you are interested check on reservations early.

8: Drive up Mt. Evans on the way back to Denver. Alternate: go by way of Colorado Springs and do the Pikes Peak Cog Railway. You'll want maximum acclimation before going up to one of these summits (over 14,000ft), but the views are spectaculailway. it is now closed as the rails need repair and it has not been decided if they will be replaced.

IMHO I would select a few places to visit and not try and see the entire state. I would stay in the front range. Boulder, Denver, Estes Park, the Arsenal (wildlife near downtown Denver), the Denver Zoo, and the Butterfly Pavilion. All these are a few hour drive. Then there is Colorado Springs and La Junta (dinosaur tracks) which are overnight stays.

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 pm

samsoes wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:39 am
Go white water rafting through the Royal Gorge. There are plenty of outfitters in Canon City to choose from. I had great experiences with Raft Masters.
+1. Canon City for rafting and Florence CO ( antiques) is a nice town. You can also go hiking around there.

wije

Post by wije » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Do I need a SUV to drive up Mt Evans? I have a Honda Civic. :?

KNomad

Post by KNomad » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:51 pm

wije wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:42 pm
Do I need a SUV to drive up Mt Evans? I have a Honda Civic. :?
Mt Evans is paved to the summit. No need for an SUV.

dccboone

Post by dccboone » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:05 pm

I was just there on Saturday. Yes, the road is paved all the way to the summit at 14,130 feet. It is a climb, but cars can make it. Road is rough for a stretch about three-quarters of the way up. Just go slow. And bring a coat. Last Saturday it was warm and sunny at the base and low 40's, 25+ mph winds with sleet at the top. It is worth the time and effort. Have fun!

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Are there any mosquito problems?

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Not on Mt Evans.

There is West Nile in Colorado. At my house, the mosquitoes are out in the evening. They are especially thick in marshy areas. I have never had a problem with them at higher altitudes.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:06 pm

mhc wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 pm
I have never had a problem with them at higher altitudes.
Tell that to my spouse when we were hiking above the tree line and running out of DEET.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:22 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:06 pm
mhc wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 pm
I have never had a problem with them at higher altitudes.
Tell that to my spouse when we were hiking above the tree line and running out of DEET.
Where were you? I have never seen a mosquito on a mountain hike. I've mainly hiked RMNP and Poudre Canyon/Cameron Pass, but I have been to all parts of the state.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Homemade Wanderlust (Dixie) is hiking the Continental Divide Trail. Here is a recent video of Colorado with mosquitoes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mnggZ8eMg4

My siblings have lived in Colorado, so I've done a bit of the state including a honeymoon around Leadville and another honeymoon around Durango. Elevation has not been a mosquito hindrance as far as I can tell. I usually hike from trailheads up Poudre Canyon Road since one sibling lives in Ft Collins or cross-country ski around Grand Lake.

See also: http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Al ... n_Colorado
and the more technical: http://www.rmbl.org/modules/Downloads/P ... h_1966.pdf
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

wije

Post by wije » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Ok here's another question: which would you choose for a day trip, Mt Evans or Trail Ridge Road?

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:43 pm

wije wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:39 pm
Ok here's another question: which would you choose for a day trip, Mt Evans or Trail Ridge Road?
You can pretty easily do both if you start in Estes Park and don't plan to hike (just drive through and see stuff). Trail Ridge will dump you near Grand Lake, and you can continue back through Berthoud pass to I-70 and catch Evans nearby. Get an early start.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:07 pm

wije wrote:
Mt. Evans is just drive up, get out, walk around, enjoy the view, and go back down the way you came. Trail Ridge Road is the really much more to see. It also spans across the continental divide, starting on the west near Granby (not too far from the Winter Park ski resort) and ending on the other end in Estes Park (of Stephen King's "The Shining" fame). Of course, you could start in Estes Park and go over to Granby. It's a full day to do the loop, but you wouldn't regret it.

I grew up here in Colorado, mostly on the western side of the state, near Black Canyon of the Gunnison. While I prefer the stuff over on that side, Trail Ridge Road is pretty special.

Steve

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 am

wije wrote:
Trailridge

I live near RMNP. Trailridge is a lot better than Mt Evans. I would not rush it and try to do both. If you are coming from the Estes side, drive up Old Fall River Road (1 way dirt road) and come down Trail Ridge. Take your time. I recommend starting as early as possible to avoid the crowds and the possible afternoon showers.