Which car, Porsche Cayenne or Volvo XC90?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
askerdu

Which car, Porsche Cayenne or Volvo XC90?

Post by askerdu » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Have to get a car to replacy my jalopy. Plan on keeping the new car until it becomes a jalopy.

Have been looking and looking and researching and researching and am between the following 2 finalists:

- 2016 new Porsche Cayenne diesel. This had to be updated as part of the VW emissions issue (hence the "new") but was driven by the dealer and has 12k miles on it. 6 year, unlimited miles (IIRC) warranty. Possible opportunity to get a great deal on it.

-2017 CPO Volvo XC90 T5 R-Design. Has 20k miles on it but would be about $10k less than the Porsche. 7 yr, 100k mile warranty from manufacture year (so 2023).

I test drove both, enjoyed the handling on Porsche a bit more but the Volvo is a very smooth nice ride.

As I said, planning on keeping it until it dies or becomes too expensive to maintain. I am concerned about reliability and maintenance costs, suspect the Porsche would be more given it's a European diesel, but not sure if the Volvo would present similar issues. What is your advice BH?

Edit: to be clear, I am looking for input regarding these two cars specifically. I have already ruled out other models.

Edit 2 (update):thanks to everyone who provided relevant feedback :wink:
Decided to go with the Porsche. I love driving it and I got a really good deal (~$17k less than msrp). To all the Volvo owners, I can totally appreciate your cars, and if the Porsche hadn't worked out so well, I wouldn't have been anything less than pleased if I had gone with a Volvo.

To the Honda/Toyota posters, more power to ya if you want to save. As for me, I only have this life, and since I still live below my means and have a decent savings rate (for the most part, ha), I am willing to enjoy it while I still can. Oh, and I don't need a car to prove I am awesome 8-)
Last edited by askerdu on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Cyclesafe

Re: Which car, Porsche Cayenne or Volvo XC90?

Post by Cyclesafe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:33 pm

In general, Porsches are much more expensive to maintain than Volvos. The Cayenne, being an SUV and not a hard-to-access sports car, offers some relief, but the entry into a dealership service bay will be costly regardless. Find an independent for either choice.

I find the Cayenne nothing special. I'd go with the Volvo if you only had two choices.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Pick your poison. Even with extended warranty wearable parts (brakes for example) will be very expensive for either car IMHO...... If you are concerned with maintenance costs I would not go with either of these vehicles. Likely either way they would be too expensive to maintain given any major failure out of warranty.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Honda

or Toyota

Unless you care about impressing people with emblems.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Frisco Kid wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:56 pm
Pick your poison. Even with extended warranty wearable parts (brakes for example) will be very expensive for either car IMHO...... If you are concerned with maintenance costs I would not go with either of these vehicles. Likely either way they would be too expensive to maintain given any major failure out of warranty.
+1...Pick your favorite Lexus in the same price range.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm
Honda

or Toyota

Not buying Honda/Toyota have nothing to do with impressing people with emblems.

Honda and Toyota is behind in technology such as semi autonomous driving. When I purchased a vehicle back in 2013, push button start was not offered. Neither was entry without touching key. Power folding mirrors not available. Adaptive cruise control was not offered either.

They are offering some/all of these features now but in 2013, even Ford had vehicles offering these features but Honda/Toyota didn’t even with top of the line models.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Honda Pilot / Toyota Highlander
Your rich friends will envy your economical frugality.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:23 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:19 pm
Honda Pilot / Toyota Highlander
Your rich friends will envy your economical frugality.
Good value plays and lower cost of ownership!

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:26 pm

askerdu wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:18 pm
Have to get a car to replacy my jalopy. Plan on keeping the new car until it becomes a jalopy.

Have been looking and looking and researching and researching and am between the following 2 finalists:

- 2016 new Porsche Cayenne diesel. This had to be updated as part of the VW emissions issue (hence the "new") but was driven by the dealer and has 12k miles on it. 6 year, unlimited miles (IIRC) warranty. Possible opportunity to get a great deal on it.

-2017 CPO Volvo XC90 T5 R-Design. Has 20k miles on it but would be about $10k less than the Porsche. 7 yr, 100k mile warranty from manufacture year (so 2023).

I test drove both, enjoyed the handling on Porsche a bit more but the Volvo is a very smooth nice ride.

As I said, planning on keeping it until it dies or becomes too expensive to maintain. I am concerned about reliability and maintenance costs, suspect the Porsche would be more given it's a European diesel, but not sure if the Volvo would present similar issues. What is your advice BH?

Edit: to be clear, I am looking for input regarding these two cars specifically. I have already ruled out other models.
I didn't think they could fully fix the prob. If you must, I vote Porsche.
Otherwise why not Acura/Lexus equivalent?

askerdu

Post by askerdu » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:32 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:26 pm
askerdu wrote:

I didn't think they could fully fix the prob. If you must, I vote Porsche.
Otherwise why not Acura/Lexus equivalent?
According to the dealer, they were not allowed to sell it but it became eligible once they installed the updated software.

sunspotzsz

Post by sunspotzsz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Love love our T5. go with cx90
Stay the course! | | Californians can save energy, reduce emission and get paid by signing up with ohm. | | https://ohm.co/sunspotzsz

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:36 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Honda

or Toyota

Meh.. it has nothing to do with what other people think. I could not care less about the emblems.

Honda and Toyota.. I'll pass. It's vanilla, slow, and non-responsive. How people spend 25k - 30k for a new Camry or Accord is beyond me... Talk about getting from point A to point B.

To me, it's more than just getting from point A to point B. I can relate to people getting a car they love (Tesla, Porsche, Benz, BMW etc.)

askerdu

Post by askerdu » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:40 pm

sunspotzsz wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 pm
Love love our T5. go with cx90
Nice, which trim? There is also a momentum available, may be a decent cheaper option.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 pm

seawolf21 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Honda

or Toyota

Honda and Toyota is behind in technology such as semi autonomous driving. When I purchased a vehicle back in 2013, push button start was not offered. Neither was entry without touching key. Power folding mirrors not available. Adaptive cruise control was not offered either.

They are offering some/all of these features now but in 2013, even Ford had vehicles offering these features but Honda/Toyota didn’t even with top of the line models.
Very interesting ... much like the Apple Watch, I have no use for those “technological advances”

I also don’t think I will ever trust a fully autonomous car ... unless every other car is also autonomous. Too many variables when driving for me to just sit back and relax

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:06 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 pm
seawolf21 wrote:
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Honda

or Toyota

Very interesting ... much like the Apple Watch, I have no use for those “technological advances”

I also don’t think I will ever trust a fully autonomous car ... unless every other car is also autonomous. Too many variables when driving for me to just sit back and relax
Except those technological advances people don’t use include seat belts and airbags which are now required and people do use. Rear view camera, another unless innovation that all vehicles are required to have.

I’m sure people said horseless carriages are dangerous when they first came out.

Going back to original point. Not buying Honda/Toyota doesn’t mean they are out to impress anybody.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Corvette Stingray Grand Sport. :sharebeer

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:24 pm

seawolf21 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:06 pm
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 pm
seawolf21 wrote:
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Honda

or Toyota

Except those technological advances people don’t use include seat belts and airbags which are now required and people do use. Rear view camera, another unless innovation that all vehicles are required to have.

I’m sure people said horseless carriages are dangerous when they first came out.

Going back to original point. Not buying Honda/Toyota doesn’t mean they are out to impress anybody.
So push start buttons and power folding mirrors are the difference makers?

HoosierHedge

Post by HoosierHedge » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:54 pm

Volvo xc90 all day long. I bought my xc90 T8 Inscription last spring. nicest car i've ever driven.

Shikoku

Post by Shikoku » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:03 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Honda

or Toyota

Love this comment. I drove three Honda/Toyota. Then bought a Volvo XC90 which is the best I have driven. viewtopic.php?t=233609#p3799006
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 pm

None. Volvo station wagon, yes, a station wagon.

multiham

Post by multiham » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:17 pm

I vote for the Porsche. I've driven both and the Porsche for me was just a better driving car. Had a better feel of the road. The Volvo was nice, but it seemed to "float" through turns to me. No real feel. I like an SUV that does not have body roll when you enter a turn a little aggressively. The Porsche definitely made me smile in turns.

Either one will be expensive to maintain, but that is just a cost of having this type of car.

I for one can't take another Honda or Toyota recommendation when the OP clearly posted the Volvo and Porsche were the only 2 cars he was interested in. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who buy a Porsche so they can brag about owning one. If I'm ever lucky enough to own one, it is because of the way it drives, the way it looks, and the fun it will provide. If you don't feel that way about cars, thats okay, but stop the rhetoric on every person who buys a Porsche, BMW, etc is only doing it to impress others. Definitely not the case.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 pm

multiham wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:17 pm
I vote for the Porsche. I've driven both and the Porsche for me was just a better driving car. Had a better feel of the road. The Volvo was nice, but it seemed to "float" through turns to me. No real feel. I like an SUV that does not have body roll when you enter a turn a little aggressively. The Porsche definitely made me smile in turns.

Either one will be expensive to maintain, but that is just a cost of having this type of car.

I for one can't take another Honda or Toyota recommendation when the OP clearly posted the Volvo and Porsche were the only 2 cars he was interested in. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who buy a Porsche so they can brag about owning one. If I'm ever lucky enough to own one, it is because of the way it drives, the way it looks, and the fun it will provide. If you don't feel that way about cars, thats okay, but stop the rhetoric on every person who buys a Porsche, BMW, etc is only doing it to impress others. Definitely not the case.
Test drive the new Civic Hatchback Sport

I’m all for the “driving experience” ... 5 star safety, roomy, a blast to drive ... oh, and under 25K.

More fun than my old Audi to drive

FraggleRock

Porsche Cayenne or Volvo XC90?

Post by FraggleRock » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Both.
Live life to the fullest.

Shikoku

Post by Shikoku » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 pm
multiham wrote:

I’m all for the “driving experience” ... 5 star safety, roomy, a blast to drive ... oh, and under 25K.

Driven both Civic and XC90. Nothing wrong with Civic. I personally do not want to drive another Civic if I can afford XC90 or something better.
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett

MJW

Post by MJW » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 pm

I am sure the OP must be delighted to find out from this thread that less expensive options exist in the form of Honda and Toyota. They likely had never considered that.

DC3509

Post by DC3509 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:46 pm

MJW wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 pm
I am sure the OP must be delighted to find out from this thread that less expensive options exist in the form of Honda and Toyota. They likely had never considered that.
Ha, yes. The OP specifically mentioned two cars and states that he has ruled out all other brands/models. Yet, half (or more) of the comments are about why he should drive something other than those two models. Why? I never understand why these are the sort of responses on these car threads that very common. If you think he should only drive a Honda or Toyota and the OP has expressly ruled that out, perhaps there isn't much to add to the conversation?

In any event, def. pick the Porsche. Enjoy the ride!

jay99

Post by jay99 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Love both...have owned Volvo previous model SUV and have two Porsche's.

Must say Porsche's have been trouble free. Purchased Porsche CPO Panamera with 2k miles like new much depreciation year 1. Knock on wood never had issue. Also have independent mechanic for oil changes and brakes the easy stuff. Love the look of New Volvo SUV. Just something about Porsche believe it's more unique and rides best. Do you need added space and third row in Volvo? Both have strong CPO Warranties!

JD Power's Porsche ranks second for reliability. Ah, Porsche ranking higher than Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

Best of luck with your new ride!!

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 am

DC3509 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:46 pm
Ha, yes. The OP specifically mentioned two cars and states that he has ruled out all other brands/models. Yet, half (or more) of the comments are about why he should drive something other than those two models. Why? I never understand why these are the sort of responses on these car threads that very common. If you think he should only drive a Honda or Toyota and the OP has expressly ruled that out, perhaps there isn't much to add to the conversation?
Yes, this happens with other topics as well but seems especially prevalent in car threads. I could understand if someone were to suggest a comparable alternative in good faith -- another option similar in price range, cachet, etc., especially if the person responding has experience with that alternative compared to the OP's choices. But using these threads as a soapbox to make a point seems like a waste of time and creates clutter for people legitimately interested in topic to scroll through.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:08 am

askerdu wrote:

Remarkable number of posts about completely unrelated cars. :happy

Both are enviable potential money pits, imo. But if you're not in love with the idea of a Porsche and aren't entranced with the handling, etc., then why bother? Then you really are just paying a lot for a badge. I used to think that all Porsche drivers were just show-offs but I get it now -- most really love the Porsche driving experience. (My Porsche driving experience is limited to test-driving a used Panamera Turbo S that was just too, too big).
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:19 am

I'm surprised it's only 10k difference, when MSRP is likely more like 20k, but there is a model year difference as well as diesel issue. If not for these factors, I would expect the Porsche may have a higher residual value, and maintain close to the 10k difference down the road, so if you were to sell, the depreciation would be similar. FWIW, kbb reports these:

Used 2008 Volvo XC90 SUV $8,575 - $10,925
Used 2008 Porsche Cayenne SUV $12,550 - $18,100

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:11 am

HoosierHedge wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:54 pm
Volvo xc90 all day long. I bought my xc90 T8 Inscription last spring. nicest car i've ever driven.
Listen to the Hoosier. T8 is supposed to be noice I have loved my Volvo wagons and my (older) XC90. In a little wagon now and love love love the adaptive cruise control. Have not had a chance (and don't want to) test the City Safe system. The lane departure is very nice. I stack up the miles and safety and snow driving are very important to me. Performance not so much

Does the CPO come with free service? I think there is/was a program called Safe & Secure that came with some CPO cars

I am not comfortable in Mrs scrapr's Toyota Rav4

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:13 am

2011-2014 Cayenne Turbo is the way to go. You can find some pretty nice ones in the $40-50k range. I just picked up a 2012 with 58k miles that was insanely loaded with $156k MSRP (over $50k in options!) for $47k, and it included an $8k Akrapovic exhaust, $3k tune, and $3k radar detector/laser jammer. The ultimate in luxury/power/handling among SUV's for under $50k? Yes please.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:15 am

When my husband was looking at the XC90 last year, he really loved it but the road noise was noticeably louder than the vehicle he picked ( he had narrowed it to the XC90 or the Q7.) I’ve never been in the Cayenne so can’t compare but just wanted to throw that out there. Although I think he and I are probably extra sensitive to road noise.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:38 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Honda

or Toyota

There are people who enjoy driving and care about driving dynamics.
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Not likely more fun than my Audi.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:04 am

unstartable wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:38 am
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Honda

or Toyota

There are people who enjoy driving and care about driving dynamics.
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Not likely more fun than my Audi.
The civic is a pleasure to drive - like, shockingly so - as I do care about “driving dynamics”.

(Audi’s are great, if I were to re-enter the “luxury” scene it’d likely be with Audi again ... I guess I just scratched that itch at a younger age, idk. I’d rather buy a honda and invest the other 15-20K)

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:20 am

askerdu wrote:

back to your original post ... I highlighted what i found interesting/important. I think you want the Porsche, and I like the "unlimited miles" warranty (assuming you drive a lot). If the price is close, get the Porsche. If the Volvo ends up significantly cheaper, maybe reconsider. This post reads as if you want the Porsche - so go for it. Reliability/Maintenance costs I can't speak on for either - I assume neither will be cheap.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:38 am

OP,

What a great problem to have! :beer

I drive a Lexus but have friends who love their Porsche and Volvo. Per what I see, the Volvo is in the shop more frequently than the Porsche. However, the maintenance/repair bills on the Porsche is much higher. So over a span of x years, they pretty much even out. There is no doubt that both brands have relatively lesser reliability but they're a blast to drive.

Also, IIRC the Cayenne comes only as a 5-seater while the XC90 can be had as a 7-seater. So if you're looking for a people hauler then it's a clear choice.

Between the two, I would pick the Cayenne.

Enjoy your ride!
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

srt7

Post by srt7 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:17 am

MJW wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 am
DC3509 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:46 pm
Yes, this happens with other topics as well but seems especially prevalent in car threads. I could understand if someone were to suggest a comparable alternative in good faith -- another option similar in price range, cachet, etc., especially if the person responding has experience with that alternative compared to the OP's choices. But using these threads as a soapbox to make a point seems like a waste of time and creates clutter for people legitimately interested in topic to scroll through.
+1

We've got posters who gloat about their annual vacations costing $25K+ and yet somehow when it comes to cars it always has to be a used Corolla or a Civic. I wonder how they'd feel about posting if they should take a 10 day vacation to Mediterranean vs. Iceland and then getting bombarded with responses asking them to go to their local/regional state park instead.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:46 am

Shikoku wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 pm
RRAAYY3 wrote:
multiham wrote:

Driven both Civic and XC90. Nothing wrong with Civic. I personally do not want to drive another Civic if I can afford XC90 or something better.
Don’t even bother comparing the two. They are not even remotely in the same segment. The responses provided are just trolling.

XC90 is great drive on road trips especially with pilot assist turned on. Had a 6 hour evening drive recently and pilot assist slow the vehicle down even before I spotted a potential incursion with the vehicle in front of me on a highway. Due to a curve in the road, I thought the vehicle ahead was in an adjacent lane. It turned out it was in my lane. Kudos to Volvo for spotting the risk and braking before I realized what was going on.
Last edited by seawolf21 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 am

The Porsche is way more fun and probably not much more expensive to repair than the Volvo and it is likely far more reliable. Volvo is not the most reliable brand and when you use both turbo and super chargers you can bet you’re going to spend a decent amount of time in the shop.

The Porsche on the other hand uses a turbo diesel which is fairly reliable and will go for a few hundred thousand miles assuming it’s maintaines well. Sure you may have oil leaks at 120k miles, but change your seals and the thing will run another 120k miles without breaking a sweat

Ignore the clowns talking about civics and Toyota. They have no idea how a proper car should drive, they just see that a car has Apple car play and Bluetooth and think that the features on paper are the same.

As you have noted, the Porsche prioritizes the fact that it’s a vehicle and the engineering efforts are allocated as such so it’s fun to drive and has an extremely well built chassis that will withstand high speed crashes. Toyota is cheaper because they use cheap materials, outdated engines and transmissions. But yeah, they have apple car play

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:01 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 am
The Porsche is way more fun and probably not much more expensive to repair than the Volvo and it is likely far more reliable. Volvo is not the most reliable brand and when you use both turbo and super chargers you can bet you’re going to spend a decent amount of time in the shop.

The Porsche on the other hand uses a turbo diesel which is fairly reliable and will go for a few hundred thousand miles assuming it’s maintaines well. Sure you may have oil leaks at 120k miles, but change your seals and the thing will run another 120k miles without breaking a sweat

Ignore the clowns talking about civics and Toyota. They have no idea how a proper car should drive, they just see that a car has Apple car play and Bluetooth and think that the features on paper are the same.

As you have noted, the Porsche prioritizes the fact that it’s a vehicle and the engineering efforts are allocated as such so it’s fun to drive and has an extremely well built chassis that will withstand high speed crashes. Toyota is cheaper because they use cheap materials, outdated engines and transmissions. But yeah, they have apple car play
I’m a clown because I did extensive research, including test drives, and have previously owned “luxury cars” - yet still chose to buy a Honda.

and no, I couldn’t care less about “car play”. Great points all around.

abonder

Post by abonder » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:14 am

I love the car threads for two reasons. First , I’m fascinated by cars and am a car enthusiast. Second, I love the collision of wealth, frugality, automotive enthusiasm, pragmatism, etc that comes forth in these threads. I agree that there tends to be harsher response to luxury car spending vs other experiential luxuries. Some nice points were made earlier. I think that there is “data” to support that luxury cars (usually) have higher upfront and ongoing costs. I suspect that a subset of Bogleheads have direct or indirect experience with these higher ownership costs and try to pass along their caution to perspective buyers. When a person posts an X vs. Y decision, it is frustrating to see A and B presented as the solution. Especially when A and B are a totally different class/size/level of luxury. If somebody were to suggest an Audi Q7, that might be a reasonable alternative to consider given the OPs apparent preferences. But I still love the car threads. I remember reading a reply one time that summarized the car posts: “the answer is always a 10-year-old Toyota/Honda. And when that’s not the answer, then the answer is Miata.”

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 am

I like the "buy them both" idea. Life is short. :wink:

There is always a bit of a dilemma in these choices.

I want a driver first, luxury vehicle that is sporty, fun and drives like it. I'm picking cars from the lower end of the reliability numbers that exist. I've narrowed it down to these 2. Cost isn't really an issue. That said, which one will be most reliable? :shock:

I like the variety of responses in car threads. Nobody has recommended a Subaru yet, so this thread still has legs.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 am

Look at an E-400 wagon

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:25 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:01 am
ssquared87 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 am

I’m a clown because I did extensive research, including test drives, and have previously owned “luxury cars” - yet still chose to buy a Honda.

and no, I couldn’t care less about “car play”. Great points all around.
Honda makes a great car, I've had two (Accord then Acura TSX which is basically the European Accord. They are somewhat fun to drive compared to a Toyota or Nissan. But for someone who is looking for a step above, which the OP specifically indicates they are, an acura or Lexus does not provide the same driving experience of a Porsche. Honda has pretty good engines and their ACE body structures are definitely better than what Toyota and Nissan are putting out, but not on the same level as anything German.

I'm the first to recommend a Honda for someone who wants something better than a Toyota or Nissan, but theres a huge gap in Luxury/Performance when you move to Porsche/BMW/Merc. A Front Wheel Drive Based platform will never feel as balanced as a RWD base platform, v6 engines with open deck design will never put out the same level of refinement, power, and efficiency as an inline 6 with closed deck, and the chassis materials that toyota/nissan/lexus use are not nearly as strong as the ultra high strength steel used in the german cars and volvo.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:32 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 am
I like the "buy them both" idea. Life is short. :wink:

There is always a bit of a dilemma in these choices.

I want a driver first, luxury vehicle that is sporty, fun and drives like it. I'm picking cars from the lower end of the reliability numbers that exist. I've narrowed it down to these 2. Cost isn't really an issue. That said, which one will be most reliable? :shock:

I like the variety of responses in car threads. Nobody has recommended a Subaru yet, so this thread still has legs.
The Porsche is probably more reliable, but when something breaks it will be more expensive to fix than the Volvo, but Volvo isn't cheap either. I was looking at the S90 which basically has the same engine as XC90 and decided to go with a BMW 5 series instead as the reliability is higher and it was more athletic.

The volvo has the nicer interior vs. the Cayenne, but ergonomics aren't as good (i.e. touch screen interface not the greatest and I find the Porsche seats to be better than the Volvo, although the Volvo seats are very good)

Porsche obviously drives better. Since you say you want a driver car first with some luxury, the Porsche sounds like the better option. I really like the XC90 but it is not sporty...definitely gets the luxury portion down.

Plus the one you are looking at has a 6 year warranty. Have fun with it for 6 years, decide if you want to keep it after that. If reliability is your only deciding factor, I'm you are much more likely to have success with the Porsche Diesel...the Volvo is a great car well built, lots of safety incorporated in the engineering, but it has never been known as a reliable vehicle

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:34 pm

bloom2708 wrote:

Get a Subaru BRZ...one of the best driving cars on the market at any price...

Now we can consider the thread dead ;)

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:41 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:34 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

LOL not until I give my recommendation on the S63.

... Sorry OP.. couldn't resist.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:34 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

It is officially dead when a Miata is recommended. I will go ahead and recommend a Miata. :sharebeer

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:00 pm

thangngo wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:41 pm

... Sorry OP.. couldn't resist.
Heck with the (oversharpened) car...but I'll take your neighborhood! :happy
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"