Annotating locked pdfs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tamales

Annotating locked pdfs

Post by Tamales » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Sometimes you run across pdfs where all the document properties>security fields are set to "not allowed." Certain draft bills from Congress is one example.

While I can sometimes see the need to make the "changing the document" field as not allowed, I can't see why most documents would need properties such as printing and commenting set as not allowed, and in slightly fewer other cases, the content copying and page extraction properties.

At a minimum, is there a way to save a pdf which currently has all properties set as 'not allowed,' to at least allow commenting (e.g. highlighting, or drawing boxes around sections, or adding notes in the margins with the typewriter function), and copying sections of text so you don't have to type them out manually or use a screen capture?

PS I have contacted people before who published a locked document and they had no idea it was locked, and had no intention of doing it. So there must be something that is easy to accidentally do when creating a pdf from another format.

livesoft

Re: Annotating locked pdfs

Post by livesoft » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Sure, print to a new PDF and see if you can annotate it. Easy to do on a Mac. Not sure if it will do what you want though.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:24 pm

There may be open source PDF programs that ignores locks. I know I made one a few years ago by modifying the source code of PDF program.

This might work too:

https://www.sodapdf.com/unlock-pdf/

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:27 pm

re: print to pdf (livesoft),
Hmm, well it looked promising at first, but I wasn't able to highlight text in the result, even though all properties are allowed in the saved version.

Here's a random draft bill from congress as an example: https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/s19/ ... 5s19es.pdf
In the original, printing and copying is allowed, but commenting (and everything else) isn't.
Using "microsoft save to pdf" the resulting document shows no properties not allowed. But I cannot highlight text.

PS I presume, but am not sure, that if printing isn't allowed in the original, you probably can't save to pdf. But I don't have a document like that handy to check on.

FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Tamales wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:27 pm
Here's a random draft bill from congress as an example: https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/s19/ ... 5s19es.pdf In the original, printing and copying is allowed, but commenting (and everything else) isn't.
1. Downloaded it and opened with PDFPenPro. No problems editing.
2. When I need to unlock a PDF, I use/have used for years http://pdfkey.com/en/

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:51 pm

PDFs are a pain. Can't offer any help since my usual strategy is avoidance.

However, I was recently wondering about converting one to an "audiobook" through some sort of text-to-speech program. I'd rather read a Government document while doing something else like running. The problem is that in addition to a monotone voice, there would be all the headings, subheadings, footnotes, citations and such read out loud.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:01 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:33 pm
Tamales wrote:
Here's a random draft bill from congress as an example: https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/s19/ ... 5s19es.pdf In the original, printing and copying is allowed, but commenting (and everything else) isn't.
1. Downloaded it and opened with PDFPenPro. No problems editing.
2. When I need to unlock a PDF, I use/have used for years http://pdfkey.com/en/
Thanks for the link, FraggleRock. Do you know how long the Trial Version is good for? I can't find any info about that in its EULA.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:31 pm

To add another test subject, Vanguard's downloaded pdfs of Form 1099 are locked, except for printing.

But in this case, 'print to microsoft pdf" didn't work (using Foxit pdf reader). It didn't give any error, it just didn't store the converted doc where I directed it to.

FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:15 pm

samsoes wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:01 pm
Do you know how long the [PDFKey] Trial Version is good for?
Who cares? It is $25 USD.
I buy cheap software all the time and if it does not work for me, then I toss it and move on.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:28 pm

You might try zamzar.com to convert it to another file type (that allow annotation). I use zamzar frequently and find it quite useful for many tasks. Alternatively, you could open the pdf in a chrome browser window and use nimbus screen capture (add-on) to annotate the pdf.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 am

FraggleRock wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:15 pm
samsoes wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:01 pm
Do you know how long the [PDFKey] Trial Version is good for?
Who cares? It is $25 USD.
I buy cheap software all the time and if it does not work for me, then I toss it and move on.
I care, thanks.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:29 am

Tamales wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:13 pm
At a minimum, is there a way to save a pdf which currently has all properties set as 'not allowed,' to at least allow commenting (e.g. highlighting, or drawing boxes around sections, or adding notes in the margins with the typewriter function), and copying sections of text so you don't have to type them out manually or use a screen capture?
This might work: upload the file to Google Drive, then "print", and save the print to a PDF file.

phitchow

Post by phitchow » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:39 am

Tamales wrote:
Open the linked PDF in Chrome. Ctrl+P to open the print dialogue box. Change destination to Save as PDF. The saved PDF allows commenting through Adobe Acrobat.

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Have you tried PDF Architect? PDF Creator makes them and Architect is for editing. Never tried to edit a locked file.

Ed

Forget about PDF Architect. Just tried to add a comment to the original pdf mentioned by the OP using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and it worked fine. That is assuming that annotate and adding a comment are the same thing.
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"