Emergency Medevac - costs and options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sambb

Emergency Medevac - costs and options

Post by sambb »

I recently had a discussion with a colleague, who was traveling in a far off country. His wife had a major medical issue. He was fleeced for 20k USD in the hospital, and then called a medevac for 30k to come back to the USA. I am less concerned about the hospital fleecing (i have seen the opposite in some other countries), the real issue I am inquiring about, is the logistics and process to hire a medevac flight. I understand that some can have insurance for this also, but i am more inquiring about the process and cost, and any recommended companies. I am not interested in any medical information.

Which carrier or company have you used, and what was the cost?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Emergency Medevac - costs and options

Post by nisiprius »

I don't know what's involved in the kind of "Medevac" you're talking about. $30,000 for an international flight doesn't sound crazy at all. My only data point is an acquaintance who was transported by an air ambulance (helicopter) from a community hospital ER to a big city hospital forty miles away. The air ambulance was nonprofit, billed $10,000, and accepted an insurance payment of $4,000. So, $100/mile if that is even a reasonable way to price it.

I don't see how an "emergency medevac" could possibly be a smart consumer shopping situation. "Wait, I ain't getting on this flight unless you give me frequent flyer miles?"
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

this is what travel insurance is for..

some cover more or less, so look at your policy in great detail.

My parents when they take my grandparents to Hawaii, ALWAYS pay for insurance for the trip.

Some would say, it is a waste of money.. but they only go once per year, and it isn't that much money, but it has huge peace of mind.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

What an odd question. If you're in a situation in a foreign country where you need an emergency medical evacuation I don't think you really have a chance to price check.

I've never taken out travel insurance before, but I did for the first time this year for a trip to China. I'd trust to be taken care of in an emergency in a place like England - my other trip this year - so haven't bothered with anything for that. But to go to a place with underdeveloped health care? The $400 I spent that included something like two hundred thousand dollars worth of medical evacuation costs is well worth it.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

$20,000 for a major medical emergency involving a hospital stay sounds reasonable to me. How much would it cost in the US for someone without insurance?

$30,000 for a medical flight back also sounds reasonable. The few cases I know of are in the $10,000 to $50,000 range depending on whether you need a medical personnel traveling with you.

If you don't have travel insurance to arrange a medical evacuation then you call the local embassy. That's it. They have a list of local providers and will probably even help arrange things if you don't speak the local language. That's how it has worked for the one case I know of where someone didn't have travel insurance. (The family had to beg internet strangers for help with the $50,000 bill.)
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

30K overseas------ doesn't seem unreasonable to me. You pay the rate that is available. Get travel insurance etc.

25 years ago It was 10K to medivac my dad from Florida back to Ohio. His flight was with a full contingent of medical people competent in handling an emergency mid-flight should it have happened. Then don't forget the cost of the return flight.

If someone thinks this is unfair maybe they should try coach with a possible upgrade to business class.
chevca

Post by chevca »

sambb wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:46 amthe real issue I am inquiring about, is the logistics and process to hire a medevac flight.
I believe the process goes like, have a serious medical emergency somewhere in the world and if they can't handle it they will fly you to someplace that can. :happy

I can't imagine there is a whole lot of shopping around to do in this area. And, if you're alive to pay the bill after the fleecing,.... well, could be worse.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I think that Medigap F/G covers part of the expense of Medevac. Does anyone know if this is correct? Now that I am older, I always get Insurance when I travel overseas. My mother came to visit me from my country of origin and I think she was not able to get insurance after 75. This was insurance from her country. Most tour companies also include this in their insurance.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Recently, nephew and spouse, both MD's, called for special Medivac from Hawaii to Calif for emergency heart surgery for their newborn. This included a special team of MD's, support staff, and equipment.
Price was absolutely enormous. Return . . . priceless.
Comparatively, $30,000 seems more than fair.

Close family member had emergency Medivac from rural area to city trauma center after near fatal injury. 30 minute helicopter ride.
Price was enormous. Return. . . priceless.
No time to shop price.

Despite seemingly marginal insurance coverage, some things have no price.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:54 am I don't know what's involved in the kind of "Medevac" you're talking about. $30,000 for an international flight doesn't sound crazy at all. My only data
I agree. My ambulance ride for a total of 4.7 miles was $1,200.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

sambb wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:46 am I recently had a discussion with a colleague, who was traveling in a far off country. His wife had a major medical issue. He was fleeced for 20k USD in the hospital, and then called a medevac for 30k to come back to the USA. I am less concerned about the hospital fleecing (i have seen the opposite in some other countries), the real issue I am inquiring about, is the logistics and process to hire a medevac flight. I understand that some can have insurance for this also, but i am more inquiring about the process and cost, and any recommended companies. I am not interested in any medical information.

I think you have an odd definition of "fleeced." You assume $20k in a hospital is two aspirin, a bandage and tongue depressor. Anything less is a bargain.

And $30k strikes me as dirt cheap for an evacuation flight from anywhere to anywhere. I could see that easily being six figures. $30k is more like a first-class ticket without advanced purchase.

However the mechanics question is interesting. You might have an emergency somewhere that you would be better off being treated for at home, but not be coherent enough to answer questions or process information and there is nobody that can do those things for you. I think it's pretty difficult to mitigate those dangers of traveling to far off places by yourself. Of course young people usually get away with it just based on odds, but the odds get worse as you get older.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

We're exploring moving DW from her nursing home in MI to one in TX to be near her daughter to provide family backup in case anything happens to me. The nursing home social worker suggested three possible carriers...

Air Response (800-631-656)
2 hour jet = $17,870
4 hour prop = $14, 670

Federal Air Ambulance (800-821-0541)
4 hour prop = $14,783

Air Ambulance Worldwide (877-922-9675)
2 hour jet = $17,900

Given those prices to move someone 1300 miles within the U.S. $30,000 for an international move doesn't seem unreasonable at all.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We now *always* get travel insurance that includes medical care overseas.
That would include medevac IF NECESSARY.
I've capitalized that, because "what is necessary" can vary...

We therefore also add MedJetAssist. We use the annual policy although there is a "per trip" policy.
This kicks in if you are admitted as an inpatient (not ER or Observation) at least 150 miles from home. Thus, the annual policy for us, as it then includes all trips (at least 150 miles) for business/family as well.

What is different about this policy is that YOU, the insured, get to decide to be medevac'd home, to the hospital of your choice.
No need for beancounters to get involved, and no need for the always awkward local medical staff decision that they aren't well enough prepared to care for you, etc.

They'll do what is needed, from fully staffed air ambulance to business class with a nurse accompanying you.

There isn't any medical underwriting for those under 75, and we'll find out in the vaguely near future what that underwriting requires for those over 75. Presumably things like controlled BP or such are not disqualifiers, or they'd have very few such customers (which IS possible, of course!).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I also have medjetassist. If you are AARP member they give great discounts with them.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm ....We therefore also add MedJetAssist. We use the annual policy although there is a "per trip" policy.
This kicks in if you are admitted as an inpatient (not ER or Observation) at least 150 miles from home. Thus, the annual policy for us, as it then includes all trips (at least 150 miles) for business/family as well.

What is different about this policy is that YOU, the insured, get to decide to be medevac'd home, to the hospital of your choice.
No need for beancounters to get involved, and no need for the always awkward local medical staff decision that they aren't well enough prepared to care for you, etc.

They'll do what is needed, from fully staffed air ambulance to business class with a nurse accompanying you.

There isn't any medical underwriting for those under 75, and we'll find out in the vaguely near future what that underwriting requires for those over 75. Presumably things like controlled BP or such are not disqualifiers, or they'd have very few such customers (which IS possible, of course!).

RM
This.
NoleBlooded

Post by NoleBlooded »

I once transferred a critical patient to his native country (Italy). I believe it cost him 80k. He wanted to die in his home country
mageedge

Post by mageedge »

Of interest on this topic, Among its travel insurance benefits Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card provides up to $100k for medevac if needed.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 am However the mechanics question is interesting. You might have an emergency somewhere that you would be better off being treated for at home, but not be coherent enough to answer questions or process information and there is nobody that can do those things for you.
I'm not sure what kinds of situations you're envisioning but as I mentioned upthread, this is basically bread & butter work for embassies around the world. Something that just happened last month: French kid was travelling around Vietnam by himself. Got in a traffic accident and went into a coma. The local police contacted the French embassy who tracked down his parents.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

sambb wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:46 am I recently had a discussion with a colleague, who was traveling in a far off country. His wife had a major medical issue. He was fleeced for 20k USD in the hospital, and then called a medevac for 30k to come back to the USA. I am less concerned about the hospital fleecing (i have seen the opposite in some other countries), the real issue I am inquiring about, is the logistics and process to hire a medevac flight. I understand that some can have insurance for this also, but i am more inquiring about the process and cost, and any recommended companies. I am not interested in any medical information.

MEDJET for medical evac. But know t is not insurance that reimburses, it is a membership program. Some credit cards also offer benefit for free, but only evac to nearest suitable hospital, not home hospital.

I signed up about ten years ago after a friend broke her hip while in a foreign city and needed to get back home. She paid $20k for F tickets rather than an air ambulance. She was never the same.

The other risk to insure against is catastrophic medical bills. Medicare won’t cover on foreign soil. Make sure you and loved ones es are covered.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm We now *always* get travel insurance that includes medical care overseas.

We therefore also add MedJetAssist. We use the annual policy although there is a "per trip" policy.

RM
Hi ResearchMed,

I am thinking of taking my mother to Europe. Will a travel insurance associated with the airfare cover her? She is over 80 years old. Will the airfare insurance cover an evacuation?

Right now I have Chase Sapphire Preferred, but by the time of our trip I plan to get Chase Sapphire Reserve. Will the CSP/CSR insurance cover my mother if I use the card to pay all her expenses?

Thank you,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

It depends on what happened and where, but some Medevac is optional and could be negotiated. Sometimes you have the option of staying in a foreign hospital (or even a hotel) until you are cleared to fly commercial. You would need to make sure you have the resources or insurance to pay for the treatment, but in many case that would be far less than the cost in the US.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

VictoriaF wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:19 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm We now *always* get travel insurance that includes medical care overseas.

RM
Hi ResearchMed,

I am thinking of taking my mother to Europe. Will a travel insurance associated with the airfare cover her? She is over 80 years old. Will the airfare insurance cover an evacuation?

Right now I have Chase Sapphire Preferred, but by the time of our trip I plan to get Chase Sapphire Reserve. Will the CSP/CSR insurance cover my mother if I use the card to pay all her expenses?

Thank you,
Victoria
I suggest calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com (Steve, the owner, is especially helpful, but all of them are).
Ask ALL questions (don't just read online summaries please - speak to them).

They'll explain choices, the good/bad/ugly/etc.
They've led us into GOOD coverages, and helped us one time with a claim. Other claims we had (also with policies we purchased through them) were also paid promptly.
The important thing to understand is "the fine print" (no surprise).
Just about all complaints I read about end up involving someone assuming something was covered, or assuming some "issue" wouldn't be an exclusion, or just not thinking about it, and paying for a policy that was just never the right one, etc.

Be very open with them; they can't really help if they don't know the full situation, etc.

PM me if you want more info.

Good luck, and you are lucky to be able to travel with your mother!

Note: The biggest "gotcha" tends to be that pre-existing conditions aren't covered (or anything related to them), and people don't think about that. That's one reason we don't use charge card or other similar coverages. (There are other reasons, too.)

RM
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

We went through all this last year when a close relative got sick on a cruise ship - major cruise line - overseas.

The insurance has not all settled yet so we are not sure the financial outcome.
But we are thinking the trip insurance covered the Medivac (very expensive) from the ship quite a distance to a major city by jet Medivac.
The craziest Medical bill is of course the one from the cruise ship for a few hour emergency treatment, petty much exceeded the next whole week in a very high quality hospital. But our relative had the trip insurance and the AARP/AETNA Medicare supplemental plan with $50k overseas medical coverage. I am not thinking AETNA is covering any MediVac expenses.

>>Having a supplemental Medivac plan might be good. We were considering a second Medivac to get back to USA, but sadly we did not need it. We were close to running out the coverage above in under a week (trip insurance only covers $10000-20000 in medical overages). Medivac is not simple from overseas, we discovered. Many medical approvals are needed and this takes time. Any pre-planning could help.

I vowed to go on the "war path" unless the cruise ship's over-the-top medical costs happened to be covered by insurance. Unfortunately at the moment we have not been briefed on exactly what was covered and by whom.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

TBillT wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:43 pm We went through all this last year when a close relative got sick on a cruise ship - major cruise line - overseas.

The insurance has not all settled yet so we are not sure the financial outcome.
But we are thinking the trip insurance covered the Medivac (very expensive) from the ship quite a distance to a major city by jet Medivac.
The craziest Medical bill is of course the one from the cruise ship for a few hour emergency treatment, petty much exceeded the next whole week in a very high quality hospital. But our relative had the trip insurance and the AARP/AETNA Medicare supplemental plan with $50k overseas medical coverage. I am not thinking AETNA is covering any MediVac expenses.

>>Having a supplemental Medivac plan might be good. We were considering a second Medivac to get back to USA, but sadly we did not need it. We were close to running out the coverage above in under a week (trip insurance only covers $10000-20000 in medical overages). Medivac is not simple from overseas, we discovered. Many medical approvals are needed and this takes time. Any pre-planning could help.

I vowed to go on the "war path" unless the cruise ship's over-the-top medical costs happened to be covered by insurance. Unfortunately at the moment we have not been briefed on exactly what was covered and by whom.
What do you mean by this: "trip insurance only covers $10000-20000 in medical overages"

What type of trip insurance did you/they have?

RM
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:47 pm What do you mean by this: "trip insurance only covers $10000-20000 in medical overages"

What type of trip insurance did you/they have?

RM
When you take a cruise ship (which I do not) you can get trip insurance. My understanding, typically that's going to cover MediVac to a major hospital if needed plus $10,000 to $20,000 (higher price option) of Medical charges. But it can cost more than $20000 just to get off the ship, as far as their emergency room medical charges. So your base plan - let's say Medicare Supplemental thru AARP - and you need to pick a plan type with overseas coverage- needs to be your main overseas medical coverage. Of course, the fact the trip insurance covered the initial MediVac (very expensive) was a big help.

I do not know if there are other types of travel insurance with higher coverage. I just know what our relative had, because I personally called the insurance company to try to grasp how to pay the overseas bills - out-of-pocket was that answer.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:14 pm I suggest calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com (Steve, the owner, is especially helpful, but all of them are).

They've led us into GOOD coverages, and helped us one time with a claim. Other claims we had (also with policies we purchased through them) were also paid promptly.
Just about all complaints I read about end up involving someone assuming something was covered, or assuming some "issue" wouldn't be an exclusion, or just not thinking about it, and paying for a policy that was just never the right one, etc.

Be very open with them; they can't really help if they don't know the full situation, etc.

Note: The biggest "gotcha" tends to be that pre-existing conditions aren't covered (or anything related to them), and people don't think about that. That's one reason we don't use charge card or other similar coverages. (There are other reasons, too.)

RM
Thank you, ResearchMed!

Right now, I am trying to talk my mother into traveling with me. If she agrees, I will investigate insurance options. The problem is that she is more concerned about her existing conditions than that something new will happen to her.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

We use SOS International for our out of country travel at a large state university https://www.internationalsos.com/ . This company coordinates care in the local country looking at options to stabilize the situation if possible. A lot of getting sick in a foreign country is knowing which resources to access, interpreters to interface with the local medical care, etc. so a company like SOS is invaluable. They do the transport as well if needed back to the US.

Take a look at the Personal Travel tab for options on travel length and country. I priced out a trip to Italy this fall for 6 weeks and it was a little over $300 including medical insurance coverage to $100k, transport, death insurance, and even emergency dental insurance.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

VictoriaF wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:59 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:14 pm I suggest calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com (Steve, the owner, is especially helpful, but all of them are).

RM
Thank you, ResearchMed!

Right now, I am trying to talk my mother into traveling with me. If she agrees, I will investigate insurance options. The problem is that she is more concerned about her existing conditions than that something new will happen to her.

Victoria
Do you mean she is worried about her existing conditions causing her discomfort (which is certainly a concern for some, including us) OR that she is worried about a pre-existing condition not being covered by travel insurance, should it act up?
Some people aren't aware there are good policies that do NOT exclude pre-existing conditions (and that's what we *always* get).

RM
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm

I can provide another strong recommendation for MedJetAssist coverage, and have had an annual 360 policy for some time. My research a few years back led me to believe that they are the gold-standard for medevac coverage. I also have CSR and other card coverages, but that's useful only for short trips. Most have a time limit and thus won't cover if you are overseas for the bulk of the time. Also, MJA covers you in the States as well and leaves you in the driver's seat as to where you want to be transported to, as mentioned above.

If you are vacationing perhaps the CSR coverage would be fine. Be cautious of another add-on coverage and make sure it is really worth it. They may make you jump through hoops and then only transport you to somewhere they think the care is adequate. It may not be.
To address the other question, Medicare doesn't cover anything overseas, and certainly not medevac.

I've never used MJA, but have read many accounts of those that have. All good.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:23 pm Do you mean she is worried about her existing conditions causing her discomfort (which is certainly a concern for some, including us) OR that she is worried about a pre-existing condition not being covered by travel insurance, should it act up?
Some people aren't aware there are good policies that do NOT exclude pre-existing conditions (and that's what we *always* get).

RM
My mother has recently had an outpatient surgery to clear her sinuses, and her main concern is that they may flare up while she is away. When she becomes congested, it takes time (and antibiotics) to clear it off. The hope is that after the surgery she will be less likely to get congested and any congestion would clear faster. But she has not tested it yet. And air travel is notorious for exposing one to recirculated air and bacteria from around the world. On long trans-Atlantic flights the risks are even higher.

On the other hand, a congestion is not a reason for a medical evacuation, and a local doctor may help.

Victoria
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 am
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:23 pm Do you mean she is worried about her existing conditions causing her discomfort (which is certainly a concern for some, including us) OR that she is worried about a pre-existing condition not being covered by travel insurance, should it act up?

RM
My mother has recently had an outpatient surgery to clear her sinuses, and her main concern is that they may flare up while she is away. When she becomes congested, it takes time (and antibiotics) to clear it off. The hope is that after the surgery she will be less likely to get congested and any congestion would clear faster. But she has not tested it yet. And air travel is notorious for exposing one to recirculated air and bacteria from around the world. On long trans-Atlantic flights the risks are even higher.

On the other hand, a congestion is not a reason for a medical evacuation, and a local doctor may help.

Victoria
Obviously, your mother should work closely with her physicians and get their advice for her particular situation.

However, what we do for ongoing (or even "new") medical situations/conditions is to discuss the travel, the conditions, and the likely risks - and how to deal with them.
In some cases, we carry some meds that probably wouldn't be needed, but "might be", with the understanding that we'd email our doctor before actually starting to take them. In other cases, we already discussed to "take if <this/that> happens", etc.
It also matters if we will be near major medical facilities or not.

A big concern can be the flight itself, either because flight conditions could cause/exacerbate some conditions or because there just isn't any place nearby to land in an emergency (e.g., flying across the continental USA vs. flying from the West Coast to Hawaii).

And of course, it depends upon the nature of the condition and the likely consequences, some of which are obviously "worse" than others...

We each carry what seems to us to be a small pharmacy, with input from PCP's and also travel clinic physicians, and depending in some cases upon where we are going.

In a case like your mother's, perhaps a severe flare-up of congestion might (??) be considered reason not to fly...?
If so, then travel insurance would cover the expenses of waiting longer to have it clear up before returning home, as well as any treatment costs, etc. That would require that a physician see her and make that determination (and put it in writing).

As we get older and develop more "health conditions", etc., it does get a bit more scary to travel to distant locales.
It also just gets scarier because we've heard of more problems encountered by others!
But... we have our lives to live, and we just try to make prudent choices, and take precautions that make sense.

I don't think that during our lifetimes we'll get to experience virtual reality that has the ocean breezes and salt spray on our faces, etc. :wink:
And we can't quite decide if that's good or bad!

Good luck with whatever you both decide.

RM
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:26 am Recently, nephew and spouse, both MD's, called for special Medivac from Hawaii to Calif for emergency heart surgery for their newborn. This included a special team of MD's, support staff, and equipment.
Close family member had emergency Medivac from rural area to city trauma center after near fatal injury. 30 minute helicopter ride.
No time to shop price.
I would have thought Hawaii would have the necessary facilities to do the surgery there. Seems like the delay to get to California might increase risks.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:24 pm Good luck with whatever you both decide.

RM
Thank you, ResearchMed,

We will do something similar to what you are suggesting. It seems that the issue is not as much an emergency evacuation as general health.

Victoria
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

dm200 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:43 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:26 am Recently, nephew and spouse, both MD's, called for special Medivac from Hawaii to Calif for emergency heart surgery for their newborn. This included a special team of MD's, support staff, and equipment.
No time to shop price.
I would have thought Hawaii would have the necessary facilities to do the surgery there. Seems like the delay to get to California might increase risks.
Surgery was complex. And with MD parents and uncles, and connections to the best on the West Coast, there were no other options. After several open heart surgeries and extensive stay in ICU, the newborn is doing fine.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dm200

Post by dm200 »

the newborn is doing fine.
Great ...