Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Artful Dodger

Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm

I did a quick search and didn't see any recent threads on specifically purchasing an Apple watch, so am reaching out.

If you have one, what do you like / dislike? Are there any specific apps / features that you really like, or were really life changing? If you got the 3 model, did you go with the additional wireless service so you can use without your Iphone? Did you get the 38mm or 42mm? Is the daily charging a chore?

Up until now, I haven't thought too seriously about purchasing. I don't even wear a watch right now, though have had two Fitbits, and both have bit the dust. The Apple Watch battery life has been my biggest issue. I just wasn't sure if I would like the daily charging regimen.

What got me thinking is I recently lost my little Ipod which I used whenever I exercise. I don't really like carrying around my phone when I'm at the gym. If I get the data enabled watch, I can pair with Bluetooth earbuds and either stream music or I can load approx 175 songs into the watch memory. I can also download an audio book for long walks. I realize I could just go out and buy another music player, but the newer version watch seems to have a lot of other features (exercise, productivity, phone, etc.) and is looking more attractive.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

ge1

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by ge1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:50 pm

I got the new Apple Watch maybe 3 months ago and I love it. Features I like the most

- Able to listen to music while working out without the phone (this is primarily why I bought it)
- Simple interface to track outdoor workouts like running or biking
- Receive text messages on the watch (barely use it to write a text)
- Navigation. I wasn't expected this, but whilst driving the navigation works great on the watch; I use the navigation on my phone as I normally would and when lifting your arm slightly when driving the watch will show when I have to make the next turn and what the turn is. I find it much safer than peeking down to the phone.
- Ability to make actual phone call from the watch

Other stuff is fun (paying with your watch at the Starbucks drive throug or check the football scores) but not a reason I would buy it.

My watch lasts 2 days if I just use it as a watch, but to answer the question I got used to charging it overnight and don't find it a big deal.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:56 pm

We have 3 in our house.

Go with Series 1 unless you need the improved water proofness of the Series 3. They are essentially the same except for the cost. There is a big cost difference unless you need to step up to the Cellular Series 3. The Wi-Fi ones are what we have.

If you crack a screen, there is no repair. Only replace. Buy AppleCare if you are active and have potential to crack the screen. Oldest found this out the hard way. Cracked screen. No AppleCare. Just toss it in the garbage. Kind of sad but that is how they are built.

My kids wear the Apple Watches. They like them. Charging every other night is required. You just plug it in next to your phone or nightstand. The magnetic charger is pretty slick. Snaps onto the back of the apple watch.

I use a Samsung GearFit2. ~$125. It does less, but is more suited to me (sleep and exercise focus) and my Android phone (Moto G4). If you have an iPhone, then an Apple Watch will fit right in your ecosystem.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

jdb

Post by jdb » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:09 pm

I like the timer. Use it several times each day, from brewing coffee in morning to grilling steaks on big green egg in evening. Yes, also on iPhone but so much more convenient on watch. Also like being notified of calls, most of which can ignore without need to pull phone from pocket. And like the lunar calendar, tonight is full moon, time for a pit fire. My wife uses the find iPhone feature at least once each day, I always tell her it is where she last left it. Fun toy. Good luck.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 pm

Great responses. Thanks.

growingup

Post by growingup » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:53 pm

I'm a fan of my apple watch (first generation). I use my hands for my job (and they aren't available to pick up and check a phone all the time). I really like being able to receive and quickly check my messages hands-free. I use the canned responses to the texts regularly and also dictate messages. I take calls on my watch sometimes (I always have my phone near/in my pocket but just don't get it out).

Other things I use: The exercise tracker is good and motivating. I also check my pulse regularly :). FInd my iphone is helpful. DIrections places also nice. I check my calendar. Use the timer. Use apple pay.

Hands free messaging is by far the most useful thing for me though.
Oh! I also use it to check the time.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:06 pm

I love mine and use it to motivate me to get out and walk 4k every afternoon. If you want tips on how to get more our of your Apple Watch, /r/applewatch over on Reddit is outstanding.

BH13

Post by BH13 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:42 pm

I finally succumbed and joined the rest of the family when I got the Series 3. I enjoy the fitness monitoring aspect & notifications - keeps me motivated to exercise daily.

My wife has to charge her series 2 nightly, but I can go 2.5 days with the series 3, so I do suspect the latter has slightly improved battery life.

BTW, I do recommend this charger stand for nightly charging:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0127 ... UTF8&psc=1

mchampse

Post by mchampse » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Just got mine yesterday and liking it so far. I got One thing I’m hoping to do is go out without my iPhone and just use my watch and a set of Bluetooth headphones.

GKSD

Post by GKSD » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:09 am

I got a series 1 like a month ago and it lasted 10 days. After 10 days it went dead - would not charge or turn on. I think Apple has quality issues with watch production. Since it was still in warranty Apple sent in a replacement.

So far not really impressed - finding it just an add on toy, not a necessity.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:33 am

The best part is that it easily and effectively motivates you to move and do exercise, automatically giving you weekly goals, as well as getting 30 minutes a day of exercise. There's no boring step count, as on other fitness trackers, and it's easy to do a specific workout. It gives nudges to complete the exercise rings, different badges for various achievements, and I've found it to be an effective motivator over time to be more active.

The other advantage is that you can see emails, texts, and calls, without having your phone with you at all times, so it's great for places like work or even a dinner where you don't want to be rude, and by getting notifications on your wrist it's easier to concentrate on more important matters than constantly checking a phone. It has Do Not Disturb mode, and a nice Theater mode that will keep it from lighting up when you raise your wrist during a movie.

I also find the breathing app a nice way to take a minute of deep breathing every hour or so, to calm myself in stressful situations, with the convenience of checking my heart rate after every minute of breathing. You can also set it to alert you if your heart rate exceeds some level that might indicate danger. Another safety aspect is the ability to summon emergency help with the press of a button on the watch.

Finally, instead of a beside clock filling the room with irritating light, I use my apple watch, which will show the time in night clock mode if I give a little bump to my nightstand

The only drawback when I bought it was the irritating watch band, where you have to pull it tight enough to fit in the little hole, which is difficult to do with one hand, or otherwise it's too loose. I solved the issue by getting an $18 metal mesh loop band with magnetic clasp on Amazon, which works perfectly and looks much classier than a plastic band.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:45 am

Another electronic to charge daily. A piece of unneeded accessory. No thanks.

But keep buying tho, so our apple stock can go to the moon :)

Harbormaster

Post by Harbormaster » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:47 am

I have a series two Apple Watch and DW has a series one. I love it. I bicycle on the road and use it to track my progress, monitor my heart rate and answer calls without fishing my iPhone out of my fanny pack. I can also dial 911 by pressing one button in case I crash. The watch gives me good turn directions when using the maps app. I use it to talk to Siri for all sorts of commands. I can't get the Apple pay to work on the watch - probably operator error.

I did not spring for a series three. I always have my iPhone with me so I have no need for a stand-alone watch cell phone.

DW's series one had the crystal pop off this year due to a defective battery that swelled up. The local Apple store replaced it for no charge.

We connect our watches to their chargers at night. Charging has never been a problem.

We both have after-market watchbands from Monowear.

I put the Rolex in the safe two years ago and see no reason to ever take it out.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:15 am

I have a Series 2 Apple Watch, and I love it. I actually sleep with it on so I can get a good gauge on trends in my resting HR. I charge it for 30 minutes sitting at my desk in the morning (right now actually), and it's back at 100%. In the winter, I usually run with my iPhone in my pocket, but once it warms up, I love that I can run with my Apple Watch providing GPS and music or podcasts (via iCatcher) and leave my phone in the car.

I only have a company-provided iPhone, so I haven't been tempted by a Series 3 yet. There's no way to add an LTE Apple Watch to our mini-megacorp wireless plan.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

I have the 2 and love it.
It is in essence a screen for your wrist. Whatever you want on that screen is up to you. Music, workout apps, calculator, timer, photos, your phone calls, your texts. It is completely up to you.
Get the bigger watch. It is not too big, but provides more screen space and it is easier to do touch controls with a larger screen. Oh, and don’t buy replacement bands at Apple. They want $50. You can buy the same band on eBay for $10 or less. I bought the Nike version because I wanted the perforated sport band. I bought 2 more bands on eBay in different colors. I swap them out for when I am going to do sweaty activities like hiking or biking.

nolesrule

Post by nolesrule » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:46 am

“Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 am

I have the 2 Series.

Got it as a gift. I am an active person in general, and do not wear it during any physical activities. I lift weights for strength training, and play basketball for cardio. I don't think it is effective in either situation, and it's at risk of being damaged.

I do wear it at work on occasion. The only feature I use on the watch is reading text messages as they come in. It is very handy for this, as you can discretely read messages at any time.

Overall, I would not recommend anyone I know to get this watch unless they planned to use the Fitness features.

Edit: I bought a cheap metal mesh band from a chinese website (Alibaba) for like $6, and it does make it look more business casual than the silicone band.
Last edited by buccimane on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:19 am

I got mine as a gift. If you are a man with normal sized wrists, I would get the 42 mm face. If you're a woman, more than likely a 38 mm face will work better for you. The series 1 is way cheaper and does almost the same thing as the series 3. Unless you're wanting to use it while swimming or something, get the series 1. Mine will last 2 days on a charge, if I don't use it much.

Also, I have owned other more formal watches with a metal band and I would always give up on wearing them because they were uncomfortable. The Apple Watch is the most comfortable watch that I have ever worn. The band is very thin and very comfortable, so that you hardly notice you're wearing it.

tmhudg

Post by tmhudg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 pm

My wife and I bought ourselves Series 3 watches as Christmas gifts - and we love them. I held out for a long time. I love techie things but I really wasn't sure if I could justify the expense for what was basically a duplicate of what was on my phone. What tipped us over the edge was that we were starting to do more running in addition to our walking. When walking we could take our phones and it would record the distance, calories burned, etc. but we didn't like the idea of carrying our phones when running (I know there are solutions for this). My wife also swims and wanted a way to track that exercise as well.

With the series 3 and on-board GPS and better water resistance, we figured we would bit the bullet. It really works well. Not only on tracking the run but all kinds of workouts. It's kind of gimmicky but "Closing the Rings" is quite motivational. I do a lot of desk work and it's amazing when it taps me on my wrist to remind me that another hour has gone by and I should get up and move around. That helps to close the blue "Stand" ring. The red ring is general movement and the green ring is exercise. I'm not totally clear on the difference between movement and exercise but I don't really care that much. I don't obsess over it either but it does give you some impetus to keep active.

As others have noted, I also like the ability to quickly get a peek on what email or text has just come in without fishing my phone out of my pocket, unlocking the screen, and opening the respective app (I know notifications on the lock screen can shorten those steps somewhat). It's also nice to get appointment reminders.

Again, kind of geeky but Siri on the watch is surprisingly useful. You can say "Hey Siri, set a timer for 3 minutes" or various other things like that. For example, I was late getting out of work but forgot to text my wife before getting on the road. I just said "He Siri, text <my wife's name>." Siri says "What do you want to say?" and I say "I'm just leaving work period. I'll be home in a bit". No taking the risk of fishing for my phone and/or texting and driving.

We did not get the cellular version. We thought about it since we were getting them for running where we would *not* have our phones but we don't really run out in the boondocks so we aren't too worried about not being able to get help if needed. We did ponder that for a bit though. The other advantage of the cellular models is that they have more memory. You don't need to activate the service so you can leverage the extra memory and not pay the $10/month add-on to your plan. I've seen nothing to indicate that I need more memory but I don't have a lot of other apps loaded.

We both got the smaller size. I have smaller wrists and I just thought the bigger one looked a little too bulky.

So yeah, we both really like the watches.

Valjean

Post by Valjean » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 am

rj49 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:33 am
The best part is that it easily and effectively motivates you to move and do exercise, automatically giving you weekly goals, as well as getting 30 minutes a day of exercise. There's no boring step count, as on other fitness trackers, and it's easy to do a specific workout. It gives nudges to complete the exercise rings, different badges for various achievements, and I've found it to be an effective motivator over time to be more active.

The other advantage is that you can see emails, texts, and calls, without having your phone with you at all times, so it's great for places like work or even a dinner where you don't want to be rude, and by getting notifications on your wrist it's easier to concentrate on more important matters than constantly checking a phone. It has Do Not Disturb mode, and a nice Theater mode that will keep it from lighting up when you raise your wrist during a movie.

I also find the breathing app a nice way to take a minute of deep breathing every hour or so, to calm myself in stressful situations, with the convenience of checking my heart rate after every minute of breathing. You can also set it to alert you if your heart rate exceeds some level that might indicate danger. Another safety aspect is the ability to summon emergency help with the press of a button on the watch.

Finally, instead of a beside clock filling the room with irritating light, I use my apple watch, which will show the time in night clock mode if I give a little bump to my nightstand

The only drawback when I bought it was the irritating watch band, where you have to pull it tight enough to fit in the little hole, which is difficult to do with one hand, or otherwise it's too loose. I solved the issue by getting an $18 metal mesh loop band with magnetic clasp on Amazon, which works perfectly and looks much classier than a plastic band.
+1 to everything rj49 said. Best tech I never needed. The alarm clock is great because 5
minutes before it goes off, it lights up, which helps me wake up. So I always charge it so I can use it as an alarm clock. After it goes off once, I snooze it and put it on my wrist. Once on my wrist, it just taps me without an audible alarm, which my wife likes.

Th map feature is great because it taps you right before each turn. Great for driving, if you don’t want the maps voiceover to interrupt your book on tape. Also great for walking directions when traveling - you can leave your phone in your pocket.

Apple Pay on the watch is great. Just press the side button twice, choose your credit card, then hold your wrist up to the card reader when the cashier is ready for you to pay.

I tend to keep the sound off on my phone so it doesn’t go off in meetings. Problem is that I often don’t feel the phone buzz when it’s in my pocket so I miss calls and messages. The watch taps my wrist, so I don’t miss calls and messages.

I have the non-cellular version. But it connects to the phone through WiFi, so at the gym the other night, while my phone was in a locker and I was in a spin class two floors up, I got a call on my watch.

It has a flashlight mode. Which means you can light up an area while holding something else in both hands.

If you are a lefty like me, you can wear it on your right wrist but have the buttons on the side close to your right hand. Lefties will understand how great that is.

I’m constantly setting timers and alarms using Siri. So when I have back to back meetings and I’m worried about losing track of time but it would be awkward to keep looking at my watch, I just set a timer for 5 minutes before the end of the meeting. The watch taps me and no one else can hear it. As others have said, it’s very convenient for setting timers while cooking.

You don’t “need” an Apple Watch. Almost no one “needs” one. But its awesome.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:59 am

I had the Series 1 when Series 2 was new. I never had the original "0". I received mine for free. Long story involving egregious shipping delays from a major online retailer. They gave me a full refund thinking that the device was lost to UPS. It showed up sometime after that and they said to just keep it. I eventually sold it on eBay.

I don't think the watch is worth what they're charging. Throughout the day my phone is either in my pants pocket or in front of me on my desk. I found the notifications were distracting to have in duplicate, so I slowly disabled them on the watch until it was basically just a watch. Using it as a telephone I found rather awkward and preferred to use either the phone or an AirPod as my hands free. Everything people are talking about in this thread, timers, alerts, whatever. It's all already done by your iPhone, with hands free voice control, from just about anywhere in the room. All this to say - if you have a lot of extra money this watch can be somewhat convenient in limited circumstances. It also saved a mans life:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/15/apple-wa ... rt-attack/

Regarding fitness/health - It motivated me to "close the rings" for about a week, but watch or no watch you still have to be willing to spend your allotted time on the elliptical or whatever.

kjvm

Savio

Post by Savio » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:08 am

I have series 2 (has GPS and is waterproof).

I was skeptical before getting it, but I could never do without it now. Love it.

Series 2 is great. If you run at all outside or want to feel safe around water, get series 2.

Only useful change on Series 3 is that it tracks altitude (for hikers).

somekevinguy

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:00 am

Just thought I'd offer a contrasting opinion. Bought a series 2 and returned it about a week later. Main thing for me is that I pretty much have my phone with me all the time and don't find it an inconvenience to take it out of my pocket. GPS I have my phone up on a car mount. Text messages I generally want to be able to write back and again, not hard to take my phone out of my pocket. Many of the health type tracking actually can be done via the iPhone. Having yet another thing to charge also was inconvenient. I think overall, it is a neat device and for some, may help solve a problem but for me, despite being firmly in the apple ecosystem (MBP, iphone, ipad) it didn't solve enough problems/get rid of net-negatives in my life to justify the cost. I'm also coming at most purchases from the perspective of wanting significant value added to my life/ less is more/ experiences over things too though for what it's worth.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:08 am

I would add in addition to local directions in the the US - it gives great directions overseas. Wore mine in Paris last year and rode the subway - gave exact directions for exiting the subway (a challenge in Paris) as well as accurate walking directions without having to have your smartphone out. It made riding the metro very easy and probably helped us save in taxis - just my experience...

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:21 am

Another opposing view.

I bought it when it came out first. And it is collecting dust since then.

Two biggest issues for me are 1) I am farsighted. So I have to put on reading glasses to see anything on the tiny watch 2) I have to charge it every day - although it doesn't take very long.

However, despite all these issues if their health app and sensors add more functionality I would buy it. I have heard some discussion about Apple doing research to use their sensors for blood sugar, blood pressure etc. I would spend money for something like that.

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:45 am

Theseus wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:21 am
Another opposing view.

This is me as well

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 am

Theseus wrote:
Another opposing view.

Two biggest issues for me are 1) I am farsighted. So I have to put on reading glasses to see anything on the tiny watch 2) I have to charge it every day - although it doesn't take very long.

However, despite all these issues if their health app and sensors add more functionality I would buy it. I have heard some discussion about Apple doing research to use their sensors for blood sugar, blood pressure etc. I would spend money for something like that.
I haven’t seen many comments relating to difficulty in reading a small display. For all of us on the north side of 40 to 45 (mostly males) do you have trouble reading texts, maps and other items displayed on the watch? Personally, I would prefer not to have to pull out reading glasses every time I get some sort of message.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:06 am

yukonjack wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 am
Theseus wrote:
Another opposing view.

I haven’t seen many comments relating to difficulty in reading a small display. For all of us on the north side of 40 to 45 (mostly males) do you have trouble reading texts, maps and other items displayed on the watch? Personally, I would prefer not to have to pull out reading glasses every time I get some sort of message.
I bought larger face and I think it helps. I am 55.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 am

Consider not wearing a watch at all. Phone shows time, computer shows time. Make life less complicated.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:30 am

likegarden wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 am
Consider not wearing a watch at all. Phone shows time, computer shows time. Make life less complicated.
Of course, watches are primarily jewelry in this day and age, and has been stated already in this thread, the Apple Watch does nothing that the Iphone doesn't already do with hands-free control. I don't understand it at all, and I have legitimately asked a few smartwatch owners to explain one thing it does that you previously were unable to do (with no success). Fact of the matter is people are not making their life less complicated, people attracted to an Apple Watch like gadgets, even if they have little to no functional purpose. More power to them. I am with you in preferring simplicity, they like more complexity - we all value different things and because of that you are going to hear very few people who bought one say it was a bad purchase.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:31 am

Hello,
I'm thinking about purchasing the Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular.

I'm an early morning (before work) outdoor exerciser (runner) and like to listen to my local AM news radio morning show using the "iHeartRadio" app on my iPhone.

Does anybody know if I could load the iHeartRadio app onto the Apple Watch Series 3 and use it (through its own cellular streaming) without having to pay an additional subscription fee for "Apple Music"?

I understand that there is a built in "Radio" app on the Apple Watch Series 3? I think it accesses NPR, CBS News and ESPN radio? Could I access iHeartRadio through that Radio app? Anything you could tell me would be appreciated, thanks!

hellobogle

Post by hellobogle » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:50 am

I think my apple watch may have saved my life. I was dealing with a nasty cold. I had a fever, so I took the day off and was just hanging out around the house. My watch kept notifying me that my heart rate was high. It could tell I was just sitting (not walking or strenuously exercising) by the internal accelerometer. After several notifications, I decided to go to the emergency room, and it turns out I had a bad case of pneumonia. I was hospitalized for several days. I would have never sought medical attention had my watch not told me that my heart was racing abnormally.

This device has lots of features that may enhance your lifestyle, but it very well could also save your life.

tmhudg

Post by tmhudg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:30 am
likegarden wrote:
Of course, watches are primarily jewelry in this day and age, and has been stated already in this thread, the Apple Watch does nothing that the Iphone doesn't already do with hands-free control. I don't understand it at all, and I have legitimately asked a few smartwatch owners to explain one thing it does that you previously were unable to do (with no success).
You mean like record your heart rate during a workout? Your phone won't do that.
If you want to track your running or cycling route, yes your phone can do it but it's bigger and bulkier than the watch. That matters to me.
Silently tap you on your wrist that you have a new email or message? Yes, the phone can alert you but the watch does it differently. That's a benefit to some but maybe not to others but it's not the "same" as the phone.
Fact of the matter is people are not making their life less complicated ... I am with you in preferring simplicity, they like more complexity
I think it's a matter of perspective. One could argue having a smart phone is more complicated than having a home phone and a paper day planner. I don't think it's fair to say people who value the benefits of a smart watch "like more complexity". As is clearly indicated in the responses, people who like the watch value the benefit it brings to them. it's not like the watch is so complex that people have to take a course to figure out how to operate it.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:02 am

It truly is amazing to me what people think they actually need nowadays. You know how I know my heart rate is elevated when I’m working out? I feel my heart beating.

People have a pocketsized supercomputer within arms reach 24/7 and that’s still not enough

There will be nothing “life changing” about having a “smart watch”, but good luck with it
Last edited by RRAAYY3 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 am

tmhudg wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am
stoptothink wrote:
likegarden wrote:
Of course, watches are primarily jewelry in this day and age, and has been stated already in this thread, the Apple Watch does nothing that the Iphone doesn't already do with hands-free control. I don't understand it at all, and I have legitimately asked a few smartwatch owners to explain one thing it does that you previously were unable to do (with no success).
You mean like record your heart rate during a workout? Your phone won't do that.
If you want to track your running or cycling route, yes your phone can do it but it's bigger and bulkier than the watch. That matters to me.
Silently tap you on your wrist that you have a new email or message? Yes, the phone can alert you but the watch does it differently. That's a benefit to some but maybe not to others but it's not the "same" as the phone.
Fact of the matter is people are not making their life less complicated ... I am with you in preferring simplicity, they like more complexity
I think it's a matter of perspective. One could argue having a smart phone is more complicated than having a home phone and a paper day planner. I don't think it's fair to say people who value the benefits of a smart watch "like more complexity". As is clearly indicated in the responses, people who like the watch value the benefit it brings to them. it's not like the watch is so complex that people have to take a course to figure out how to operate it.
A home phone and physical paper day planner would be “less complicated” in what way exactly? I’d love to hear ones argument for that

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:31 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:02 am
It truly is amazing to me what people think they actually need nowadays. You know how I know my heart rate is elevated when I’m working out? I feel my heart beating.

People have a pocketsized supercomputer within arms reach 24/7 and that’s still not enough

There will be nothing “life changing” about having a “smart watch”, but good luck with it
For most people that's true, but there are plenty of people who have achieved life-saving health benefits by having a smart watch. I just read a thread on reddit yesterday from a man who had an elevated heart rate who never would have known had his apple watch not prompted him multiple times every day. His wife and daughter nagged him to go to the doctor who in turn referred him to the cardiologist. Long story short, 70% blockage and "widow maker" discovered and prevented (at least so far). Read around and you will find many of these stories. If you buy the watch and use it to its full capability, then there is much you can benefit. If you just stare at the time and occasional notification, well then sure you're better off getting a cheaper and "dumber" watch.

Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:33 am

This isn’t the boglehead way.

Get a $10 Timex watch or even better learn to tell time from the sun.

:o

tmhudg

Post by tmhudg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:39 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 am
A home phone and physical paper day planner would be “less complicated” in what way exactly? I’d love to hear ones argument for that
Well, I guess we'll have to start with defining "complicated" but I think we are getting into Mac vs. PC and Paper vs. Plastic now so I'll pass.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:12 pm

I used to want to get a Rolex but my desire for it went away completely after I got my 42mm Apple watch.

TravelforFun

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:

You left out "Bah Humbug" :)

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks to everyone for their responses. You've been very helpful. When I included "life changing", I didn't realize there were some actual instances where the watch helped prevent a life threatening emergency.

As I noted in my first post, what first got me thinking was a replacement for my little ipod. Listening to music was always a big motivator for me, and while I realize I could carry my phone around while exersizing, I just don't like to, so I've been slacking off. I also used to have a Fitbit, and it was a great motivator as well, but I've gone through two, so won't buy any more. I'm intrigued with the health apps on the watch, and look forward to exploring them. Heading to the Apple store now to compare the two sizes and the watch color / band options. Not sure I'll pull the trigger tonight, but I'm sold. I'll probably get the LTE option and try it out. The service is $10/month, and I can always drop if i don't use it. It does give me the option to use Apple music when I'm not tethered to the phone and not have to rely on downloaded music.

Now i just need to upgrade my blue tooth earbuds. :D

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:59 pm
Thanks to everyone for their responses. You've been very helpful. When I included "life changing", I didn't realize there were some actual instances where the watch helped prevent a life threatening emergency.

As I noted in my first post, what first got me thinking was a replacement for my little ipod. Listening to music was always a big motivator for me, and while I realize I could carry my phone around while exersizing, I just don't like to, so I've been slacking off. I also used to have a Fitbit, and it was a great motivator as well, but I've gone through two, so won't buy any more. I'm intrigued with the health apps on the watch, and look forward to exploring them. Heading to the Apple store now to compare the two sizes and the watch color / band options. Not sure I'll pull the trigger tonight, but I'm sold. I'll probably get the LTE option and try it out. The service is $10/month, and I can always drop if i don't use it. It does give me the option to use Apple music when I'm not tethered to the phone and not have to rely on downloaded music.

Now i just need to upgrade my blue tooth earbuds. :D
Keep an eye out for refurbished. They've had 2 batches for sale, just as good as new at a significant discount. Also, Costco sells certain options cheaper too. For earbuds, I really like the new AirPods. those are life changing.

Bear in mind for the LTE service, there is an activation fee and the $10 per month is before taxes and fees. I read that on some carriers it works out to closer to $14.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 pm
RRAAYY3 wrote:

You left out "Bah Humbug" :)
LOL, I agree. Like many threads on here, if someone can’t add value to the thread, at least question the question and then take a potshot at the OP. :? :twisted: :) :sharebeer

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:22 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Of course, watches are primarily jewelry in this day and age, and has been stated already in this thread, the Apple Watch does nothing that the Iphone doesn't already do with hands-free control. I don't understand it at all, and I have legitimately asked a few smartwatch owners to explain one thing it does that you previously were unable to do (with no success). Fact of the matter is people are not making their life less complicated, people attracted to an Apple Watch like gadgets, even if they have little to no functional purpose. More power to them. I am with you in preferring simplicity, they like more complexity - we all value different things and because of that you are going to hear very few people who bought one say it was a bad purchase.
I can run with music (or podcasts), record my route and pace, monitor my HR on hard days, and leave my phone in the car. I can guide myself through a complicated weight training routine with multiple machines, multiple sets, varying weights, record my results--which automatically become the guideline for the next session--while listening to music, and leave my phone in the locker. And yes, I can see at a glance in meetings whether my wife or kids are calling or texting me without getting out my phone and appearing inattentive.

Maybe you don't run or lift weights or mind carting your phone around while you do, but the freedom for me to do those things without my phone is glorious.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:32 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:22 pm
stoptothink wrote:
I can run with music (or podcasts), record my route and pace, monitor my HR on hard days, and leave my phone in the car. I can guide myself through a complicated weight training routine with multiple machines, multiple sets, varying weights, record my results--which automatically become the guideline for the next session--while listening to music, and leave my phone in the locker. And yes, I can see at a glance in meetings whether my wife or kids are calling or texting me without getting out my phone and appearing inattentive.

Maybe you don't run or lift weights or mind carting your phone around while you do, but the freedom for me to do those things without my phone is glorious.
Actually, I run and lift weights for a living (chief exercise scientist for a health megacorp), but I refuse to own a smartphone. So yeah, I actually do have no idea about the hassle of carting a phone around while I exercise.
Last edited by stoptothink on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Gadget is my middle name.

That said...

I used to wear a watch every day until maybe 10 years ago. Then I stopped. Now I only wear one when I am traveling (eg to check the time on planes every five minutes without pulling phone out of bag). At home I am surrounded by clocks. If I sit at my desk (aka work), it is right there in the corner of the screen. If I am on the couch with the iPad... same thing. When I am out and about running errands, I have my phone if i really wonder what time it is. Or my Fitbit Zip in the pocket.

I did use a smart watch for a while, some three or four years ago. Google platform, but same basic idea. I initially liked it. Awesome to quickly capture todo items that pop into my mind by voice. Read SMS without pulling phone out of pocket. Etc.

Recharging it every night got tiring (or rather, forgetting it). Traveling with yet another charging thingie was a bit annoying. Or rather, I was annoyed when I forgot it. Or when the hotel room didn’t have plugs for everything that needed charging. But most annoying was the constant stream of notifications. I decided I wanted to and could live without those interruptions. Yes, I could configure my phone to suppress them, but that also reduces the need for a smart watch.

Also, I am getting to the point where I need reading glasses. I don’t need them for anything else, so I don’t wear them all the time (tried progressives; gave me a headache). So a quick peek at an analog watch works okay for me, but reading stuff on a tiny screen requires squinting.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:17 pm

I skipped the Apple Watch and Android Wearables due to short battery life and no desire to have all my notifications on my wrist.

However, I did want a fitness tracker so I picked up the Garmin Fenix 3 HR sapphire after the price was nearly cut in half. Charge lasts about a month if you don't do heavy fitness tracking and have notifications turned off (last charged my watch on Feb 22 and it is currently at 57% battery - tracked 1.5hrs of activity so far on this charge). When I do heavy fitness tracking with GPS (maybe about 8 or 9hrs in a week) I get just a little over a week of battery life.

Pluses: decent Heart Rate Monitor, water resistant to 10 atmosphere, long battery life, easy to read in sunlight, scratch resistant sapphire glass

Minuses: must use Garmin connect software (and have to connect to other apps through Garmin Connect and Myfitness Pal to communicate with our Nokia scale and blood pressure monitor), display isn't as fancy as an Apple or Samsung display (doesn't matter to me), I don't think it has enough storage for music, you can't take cellphone calls on the watch (this is a plus to me though), expensive compared to plain fitness tracker.

phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:01 am

I use my Series 2 mainly for running related activities. GPS plus Strava app gives good data on runs. You can also connect Bluetooth headphones to the watch (though a bit inconvenient to unpair from phone and re-pair) which eliminates the need for a phone when exercising (I listen to podcasts or Chinese lessons). Notifications are nice if you’re mindful when you set up the device. No one needs 100 buzzes a day for coupons because your email notifications are setup carelessly.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:18 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:32 pm
Actually, I run and lift weights for a living (chief exercise scientist for a health megacorp), but I refuse to own a smartphone. So yeah, I actually do have no idea about the hassle of carting a phone around while I exercise.
Well, then, you should definitely not buy an Apple Watch. :beer
phantom0308 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:01 am
I use my Series 2 mainly for running related activities. GPS plus Strava app gives good data on runs. You can also connect Bluetooth headphones to the watch (though a bit inconvenient to unpair from phone and re-pair) which eliminates the need for a phone when exercising (I listen to podcasts or Chinese lessons).
This is where AirPods make the whole experience so much better, since the handoff from iPhone to Apple Watch is automatic.

aj44

Post by aj44 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:58 pm

I have two, a series 2 I wear when working out or sleeping, and a series 3 I wear during the day.

Comes in very handy at work in meetings where getting my phone out would be frowned upon, I can quickly glance at alerts on the watch without anyone knowing.

I also use the fitness tracking and like its functionality with navigation.

I don’t understand why some have to take potshots at those that use it and like it, I’m sure we all have things a portion of the population doesn’t see value in.