Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1658
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm

I don't like Apple much anymore and I don't like wearing a watch. The whole smartwatch idea I like even less. I don't need a smartwatch and a smartphone. I want to disconnect and put my phone on silent most of the time anyways. You have to charge it every night and it's not very functional compared to the phone. To top it all off, it is very unaesthetic and looks like something a 20 something hipster would wear.

SittingOnTheFence
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:56 am

Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm
If you have one, what do you like / dislike? Are there any specific apps / features that you really like, or were really life changing? If you got the 3 model, did you go with the additional wireless service so you can use without your Iphone? Did you get the 38mm or 42mm? Is the daily charging a chore?
I haven't worn a watch in decades. I decided that it would be a good idea to track my heart, I have had episodes of tachycardia. I didn't want to spend the $$$ on Apple but I wanted it to be water proof. The Apple Watch is much more water resistant than other devices I looked at. I wear my watch in both the shower and the steam room, both of these activities are discouraged by Apple. I make sure I activate the 'swim' mode before I do this. Thus I can monitor my heart rate in the Steam room. I have a series 2, just over a year now. 42mm because I was concerned about being about to read the screen. It does not come with cellular and I'd rather not have that, it means paying extra for my existing cellular. Be aware you need an iPhone to use the watch. It's not a standalone device, perhaps it can be used to a limited extent and perhaps having cell service changes that restriction. I wear my watch to bed so I can monitor my sleep. I need to charge my watch about ev. 36 hours, it takes 2.5 hrs to do this.
What got me thinking is I recently lost my little Ipod which I used whenever I exercise. I don't really like carrying around my phone when I'm at the gym. If I get the data enabled watch, I can pair with Bluetooth earbuds and either stream music or I can load approx 175 songs into the watch memory. I can also download an audio book for long walks. I realize I could just go out and buy another music player, but the newer version watch seems to have a lot of other features (exercise, productivity, phone, etc.) and is looking more attractive.
The watch has motivated me to exercise longer. I'd rather not carry my phone around with me. I generally listen to podcasts while exercising and it is a real PAIN to upload podcasts to the watch. If you just use it for music you are not constantly changing the collection so maybe that is ok. The end result for me is I carry the phone for audio & use the watch to record exercise routines. I am very dissatisfied with using the watch for audio and have removed the 2 different apps that I tried out.

I purchased 2 apps for monitoring heart rate, exercise, and sleep. Heartwatch & Autosleep. Both by same developer. I don't use mail app, I do use messaging and have notifications sending me select headlines. Last week, after a year of use, my watch detected 2 instances of abnormal high heart rate while sleeping. It's the first time this has happened and I will consult with my cardiologist regarding this but he has already given a shrug over the accuracy of the heart rate monitor. I have been watching it and find it quite accurate. It is important to keep the watch band set properly. I'm also enrolled in a Stanford Heart Study that collects my activity and heart data. I believe this is funded by Apple and an attempt to lend credibility to the watch's medical capabilities, possibly even device approval by FDA.

SpaethCo
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by SpaethCo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Everybody else hit most of the key points, so I'm going to just add a couple things.
Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm
Are there any specific apps / features that you really like, or were really life changing?
+ Unlocking my Mac with the watch is a killer feature for me.
+ Strong app for the gym. Step through your workout sets, log reps, and integrated rest timer.
+ Chamberlain MyQ Garage door control. Great for being able to open the garage door when coming back from a run / bike ride.
+ Walking navigation on the wrist is great for travel, particularly if you don't want to stand out looking like a tourist using a phone to find their way around.
Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm
I just wasn't sure if I would like the daily charging regimen.
Since it's wireless/magnetic, I don't think it ends up being a big deal. There are a bunch of companies that make combo phone / watch charging stands -- this makes the whole process pretty easy. As a bonus, if you prop the watch on its side you can use it as a nightstand clock.

TravelforFun
Posts: 1520
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:04 pm

SpaethCo wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 pm
Everybody else hit most of the key points, so I'm going to just add a couple things.
Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm
Are there any specific apps / features that you really like, or were really life changing?
+ Unlocking my Mac with the watch is a killer feature for me.
+ Strong app for the gym. Step through your workout sets, log reps, and integrated rest timer.
+ Chamberlain MyQ Garage door control. Great for being able to open the garage door when coming back from a run / bike ride.
+ Walking navigation on the wrist is great for travel, particularly if you don't want to stand out looking like a tourist using a phone to find their way around.
It reminds me to get off my butt, stand up, and take deep breath every once in awhile.

TravelforFun

douginct
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by douginct » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Quick question - if I subscribe to Spotify, can I listen to that through the watch?

folkher0
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by folkher0 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:09 pm

douginct wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:08 pm
Quick question - if I subscribe to Spotify, can I listen to that through the watch?
no

RRAAYY3
Posts: 926
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by RRAAYY3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm
I don't like Apple much anymore and I don't like wearing a watch. The whole smartwatch idea I like even less. I don't need a smartwatch and a smartphone. I want to disconnect and put my phone on silent most of the time anyways. You have to charge it every night and it's not very functional compared to the phone. To top it all off, it is very unaesthetic and looks like something a 20 something hipster would wear.
Amen

and yet, people want/“need” this revolutionary technology. I will never understand the appeal of the “smart watch”

Take the half second and reach for your phone - or dare I say- step away from technology and social media for 5 seconds every now and then

TravelforFun
Posts: 1520
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm
I don't like Apple much anymore and I don't like wearing a watch. The whole smartwatch idea I like even less. I don't need a smartwatch and a smartphone. I want to disconnect and put my phone on silent most of the time anyways. You have to charge it every night and it's not very functional compared to the phone. To top it all off, it is very unaesthetic and looks like something a 20 something hipster would wear.
Amen

and yet, people want/“need” this revolutionary technology. I will never understand the appeal of the “smart watch”

Take the half second and reach for your phone - or dare I say- step away from technology and social media for 5 seconds every now and then
To each his own. I love technology. I'd be the first to line up to buy an autonomous car.

TravelforFun

TheGuitarMan
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:00 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by TheGuitarMan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:38 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm
or dare I say- step away from technology and social media for 5 seconds every now and then
Says the person who keeps posting on the internet in a thread they are not even interested in. :( One can own a smartwatch and never use social media at all, you know. :wink:

Here's a tip that will make you and everyone around you happier: If you have nothing of substance to contribute, then do not. Most sane people do not comment in threads that do not interest them just to criticize the topic and insult the OP. :beer

To the OP:

I have a Nike+ Series 3 and use it every day. I didn't really comprehend everything it could do until I got it and really used it. Now, I can't imagine not using it. It has made a lot of things more convenient. If you don't need the LTE, I'd look for a Series 2. You can probably get it a little cheaper and it will do virtually everything you need. If you feel like you'll want the LTE service, then Series 3 is the one to go with.

Tribonian
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:33 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by Tribonian » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:06 am

The Garmin running and fitness watches have really good heart rate monitors if fitness data matters to you. They also now have music storage and the texts forwarded from your phone can handle emojis.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/03/gar ... eview.html

I'm waiting for the next Fenix which will hopefully be announced soon- it will have mapping which is a feature I'm willing to wait for.

squirm
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by squirm » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:59 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm
I don't like Apple much anymore and I don't like wearing a watch. The whole smartwatch idea I like even less. I don't need a smartwatch and a smartphone. I want to disconnect and put my phone on silent most of the time anyways. You have to charge it every night and it's not very functional compared to the phone. To top it all off, it is very unaesthetic and looks like something a 20 something hipster would wear.
I saw an older guy wearing one, looked out of place imo. Anyways, who wears a watch anymore? I haven't worn one in a long time. Phone has the time on it.

jdb
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by jdb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 pm

squirm wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:59 am
Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm
I don't like Apple much anymore and I don't like wearing a watch. The whole smartwatch idea I like even less. I don't need a smartwatch and a smartphone. I want to disconnect and put my phone on silent most of the time anyways. You have to charge it every night and it's not very functional compared to the phone. To top it all off, it is very unaesthetic and looks like something a 20 something hipster would wear.
I saw an older guy wearing one, looked out of place imo. Anyways, who wears a watch anymore? I haven't worn one in a long time. Phone has the time on it.
It was probably me you saw wearing the watch. I play golf with a guy in his early 80’s who was watch collector with many fancy watches and guy in his 70’s both older than me who both got and wear the Apple Watch cause they liked mine. As did my wife and daughter. And know what? Not to be snarky but none of us could care less what you or anyone else thinks of our watch, we all enjoy. For different reasons perhaps. But my expensive Audemars and Patek Philippe Swiss watches in safe deposit box, maybe someday someone will want. Good luck.

desiderium
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:08 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by desiderium » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:12 pm
I used to want to get a Rolex but my desire for it went away completely after I got my 42mm Apple watch.

TravelforFun
I have an unhealthy love for my beautiful mechanical friend. The features of the Apple watch intrigue me but I can't handle the look of the little box on my wrist.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 pm

desiderium wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 pm
TravelforFun wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:12 pm
I used to want to get a Rolex but my desire for it went away completely after I got my 42mm Apple watch.

TravelforFun
I have an unhealthy love for my beautiful mechanical friend. The features of the Apple watch intrigue me but I can't handle the look of the little box on my wrist.
I did get the watch, and ended up going for a more stylish look with the stainless steel watch and Milanese loop band. Looks great and am loving exploring all the features.

tmhudg
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:56 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by tmhudg » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 am

Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 pm

I did get the watch, and ended up going for a more stylish look with the stainless steel watch and Milanese loop band. Looks great and am loving exploring all the features.
You got the watch!?! How on earth do you cope with all the complexity you've just added to your life?

I would be reduced to a quivering mass of confusion, huddling in the corner trying to cope.

Oh wait, I have one too. 8-)

stoptothink
Posts: 4464
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by stoptothink » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 am

tmhudg wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 am
Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 pm

I did get the watch, and ended up going for a more stylish look with the stainless steel watch and Milanese loop band. Looks great and am loving exploring all the features.
You got the watch!?! How on earth do you cope with all the complexity you've just added to your life?

I would be reduced to a quivering mass of confusion, huddling in the corner trying to cope.

Oh wait, I have one too. 8-)
Probably the same way OP will deal with having spent a few hundred $ on something which may not provide any functional benefit to their life. These type of comments aren't necessary, and how threads get shut down. How it would improve quality of life is something I ask myself before making any consumer purchase; it is any extremely valid question with something like a smartwatch. BTW, congrats OP, hope you enjoy it.

millsjack
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:04 am
Location: Spammer

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by millsjack » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:02 am

I have Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular‎
I was skeptical of me before getting it, but I could never do without it now.
Love it. :)

FreemanB
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 5:55 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by FreemanB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:32 am

I had no plans on getting a smart watch, but my wife insisted on it last December. Her reasons, although I've never seen them listed here, are likely relevant to many on this board, given the demographics. I would frequently have my cell phone in a pocket or jacket while out of the house, and in a noisy store, I wouldn't be able to hear any rings or notifications. Depending on where it was, I also wouldn't notice any vibrations if it wasn't right up against me.(Say in a jacket pocket) After the Nth time where I got back from the grocery store without realizing that she had texted and called to add something to my shopping list, she told me in no uncertain terms that I was getting a smart watch so that I would have no excuse for missing calls and texts. Being an Android guy, I picked a relatively cheap refurbished Asus ZenWatch 2 for $80 from Amazon, and I have to say, I definitely get much more use out of it than I anticipated. It will make noise and/or vibrate on my wrist, which I won't miss even in a noisy, busy store, so no more getting home without X ingredient for dinner, forcing a second trip to the store. It is convenient for quick checks of incoming calls, texts, and emails(That I often wouldn't even know I had gotten before), even at home when my cell phone usually stays sitting on the counter until I go back out. It also keeps the wife happy, which makes it well worth the expense.

So if your ears, like mine, don't work quite as well as they used to, a smart watch can be a very useful accessory.

bluebolt
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by bluebolt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:03 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm
I don't like Apple much anymore and I don't like wearing a watch. The whole smartwatch idea I like even less. I don't need a smartwatch and a smartphone. I want to disconnect and put my phone on silent most of the time anyways. You have to charge it every night and it's not very functional compared to the phone. To top it all off, it is very unaesthetic and looks like something a 20 something hipster would wear.
Amen

and yet, people want/“need” this revolutionary technology. I will never understand the appeal of the “smart watch”

Take the half second and reach for your phone - or dare I say- step away from technology and social media for 5 seconds every now and then
I have an infant. I find the watch to be invaluable since reaching for my phone is often not an option when I'm holding/feeding my child.

Diogenes
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by Diogenes » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:13 pm

I’m an Apple person, but the watch screams ‘tech-geek.’ For fitness I use a Fitbit Flex 2, at about $50. Low profile, tracks my fitness program including swimming, and vibrates if I get a call so I can pull out the iPhone. I don’t want anything flashy where I travel to, and the screen would be a liability in the weight room. I also don’t like workout distractions such as texts or scrolling information. That can wait.
Charge lasts twice as long.

jdb
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by jdb » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Have to admit I get tempted by the beautiful watch ads to go to my safe deposit box and retrieve my fancy Audemars Swiss watch. Even after 3 years of wearing an Apple Watch. But then I need to use the find iPhone feature twice in one day to figure out where last left my iPhone and as another poster mentioned never miss phone calls even though can’t hear the phone in my pocket ringing. So much for elegant style, will stick with this boxy Apple Watch tool. Good luck.

bondsr4me
Posts: 928
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:44 pm

I have had one of the original iWatches for a few years.
After getting to know all the useful functions it serves, my wife wanted and got one too.
She loves it as much as I do.
We both have iWatches, iPhones 6sPlus, iPad Pros, Mac Book Pros, Apple Pencils.
We are both very, very happily with all our Apple products.
All of them work very well together.
And no, we don’t work for Apple.

Get the watch, learn how to use it...you’ll be glad you did.

Don

Dottie57
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:50 pm

TheGuitarMan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:38 pm
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm
or dare I say- step away from technology and social media for 5 seconds every now and then
Says the person who keeps posting on the internet in a thread they are not even interested in. :( One can own a smartwatch and never use social media at all, you know. :wink:

Here's a tip that will make you and everyone around you happier: If you have nothing of substance to contribute, then do not. Most sane people do not comment in threads that do not interest them just to criticize the topic and insult the OP. :beer

To the OP:

I have a Nike+ Series 3 and use it every day. I didn't really comprehend everything it could do until I got it and really used it. Now, I can't imagine not using it. It has made a lot of things more convenient. If you don't need the LTE, I'd look for a Series 2. You can probably get it a little cheaper and it will do virtually everything you need. If you feel like you'll want the LTE service, then Series 3 is the one to go with.

Please tell me what benefits LTE gives. A list would be nice. I think I want it, but LTE throws me. I have cricket as provider, and it does not Support Apple Watch.

TheGuitarMan
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:00 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by TheGuitarMan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:53 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:50 pm
TheGuitarMan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:38 pm
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm
or dare I say- step away from technology and social media for 5 seconds every now and then
Says the person who keeps posting on the internet in a thread they are not even interested in. :( One can own a smartwatch and never use social media at all, you know. :wink:

Here's a tip that will make you and everyone around you happier: If you have nothing of substance to contribute, then do not. Most sane people do not comment in threads that do not interest them just to criticize the topic and insult the OP. :beer

To the OP:

I have a Nike+ Series 3 and use it every day. I didn't really comprehend everything it could do until I got it and really used it. Now, I can't imagine not using it. It has made a lot of things more convenient. If you don't need the LTE, I'd look for a Series 2. You can probably get it a little cheaper and it will do virtually everything you need. If you feel like you'll want the LTE service, then Series 3 is the one to go with.

Please tell me what benefits LTE gives. A list would be nice. I think I want it, but LTE throws me. I have cricket as provider, and it does not Support Apple Watch.
LTE is cellular service. Meaning your watch acts as a little phone on your wrist. You can receive or make calls, access the internet' or text without needing to have your phone with you' which can be handy if you are a runner, cyclist, or long distance walker.

If your provider does not support the Apple Watch, you'd need to find one that does and pay for access, which would probably not be a good choice for you.

User avatar
MN-Investor
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 9:04 am
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by MN-Investor » Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 am

“Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!”

My husband just passed away. I’m 65 and in pretty good health, but it’s occurred to me that I’m mostly home alone (no children) and, if something happened to me, there is no one who will notice quickly. I always wear a watch, so I think I’ll buy an Apple Watch so that I can contact someone if I do run into an emergency and I don’t have my iPhone right at hand.

Plus I am somewhat of a tech geek, so there is that.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

Freefun
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by Freefun » Thu May 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Tribonian wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:06 am
The Garmin running and fitness watches have really good heart rate monitors if fitness data matters to you. They also now have music storage and the texts forwarded from your phone can handle emojis.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/03/gar ... eview.html

I'm waiting for the next Fenix which will hopefully be announced soon- it will have mapping which is a feature I'm willing to wait for.
Are you referring to the fenix 5x? I was looking at it for my hiking but folks at rei told me it's not going to give me more mapping than I have with garmin inreach. Would like to learn more about that watch before paying for it.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

donfairplay
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by donfairplay » Thu May 03, 2018 3:21 pm

There were a few Apple Watch life-saving stories in the past few days. The Apple Watch gives a warning to seek immediate medical attention.

18 year old with unknown chronic kidney failure
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/regi ... ed-my-life

32 year old with an unknown ruptured (perforated?) ulcer
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/05/02/ ... aves-life/

quantumFlamethrower
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:50 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by quantumFlamethrower » Fri May 04, 2018 12:43 pm

I was skeptical at first, but went ahead an bought a series 3 from Costco. Couldn't be happier - I wear it every day and it's unthinkable to go without my Apple Watch now.

inbox788
Posts: 5665
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:31 am
I'm thinking about purchasing the Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular.
For those of you who got the Cellular, what plan are you on (carrier, cost,etc.)? What apps do you use and how much data is consumed by the watch/plan? How many hours are you untethered from your phone where the watch is all you got?

I don't wear my watch all the time, mainly while working out. The Workout app is glitchy/buggy, but it tracks my heartrate and other measures. I use Strava to track my routes on the phone. I tried the watch app, but it's very crippled from what I recall, so for now, I have to carry both. I'd like to avoid carrying the phone, but until the watch can do everything, I'm stuck with the complication.

I got tired of all the notifications both on the phone and the watch. The phone notifications alone were becoming bothersome. Once in a while it's handy to have the watch, so you don't have to go tracking down the phone, but more often than not, it's an unwanted interruption. It's hard to find a happy medium.

gavinman
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:43 pm

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by gavinman » Fri May 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Walmart has the Apple Watch version 1 on sale right now for a good price. I picked one up the other week. I like it, I wanted a 3 but couldn’t beat the sale price. $179 for a 42 mm, $149 for a 38 mm.
I’m a tech geek and like not having to pull my phone out for every notification.
I may upgrade to the next version but so far I love it and didn’t need the extras that are on the 3.

CurlyDave
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by CurlyDave » Sun May 06, 2018 12:35 am

People who can afford the Apple watch find it fun and useful. People who can't find reasons why it is ridiculous.

I like mine, 42 mm series 3.

I got the cheap version -- this is not heirloom jewelry, the electronics inside will be obsolete in 2 years.

I don't use GPS on the watch -- my phone does that, and when I am really out in the boonies I have a garmin gps/radio combination that works really well.

The timer is very very convenient. Bluetooth phone connection is not was good as the real phone, but when the phone is temporarily misplaced it is handy.

The only minor issue I have is that every week or two it forgets which watch face I set it for and chooses another one on its own. I have to use the phone to set it back to the one I like.

Tribonian
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:33 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by Tribonian » Sun May 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Are you referring to the fenix 5x? I was looking at it for my hiking but folks at rei told me it's not going to give me more mapping than I have with garmin inreach. Would like to learn more about that watch before paying for it.
[/quote]

I have the Fenix 3 and am skipping the 5x; it should be replaced any day with a Fenix 5? Music version. I din’t Think it will give more mapping than the inreach (thought the new mini inreach looks amazing). In terms of a watch that measures a ton of data points for health, can push messages from your phone, and find your location, it will be pretty tough to beat.

kjvmartin
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Thinking of getting an Apple Watch

Post by kjvmartin » Sun May 06, 2018 9:24 pm

CurlyDave wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:35 am
People who can afford the Apple watch find it fun and useful. People who can't find reasons why it is ridiculous.

I like mine, 42 mm series 3.

I got the cheap version -- this is not heirloom jewelry, the electronics inside will be obsolete in 2 years.

I don't use GPS on the watch -- my phone does that, and when I am really out in the boonies I have a garmin gps/radio combination that works really well.

The timer is very very convenient. Bluetooth phone connection is not was good as the real phone, but when the phone is temporarily misplaced it is handy.

The only minor issue I have is that every week or two it forgets which watch face I set it for and chooses another one on its own. I have to use the phone to set it back to the one I like.
You are probably bumping it. Did you know swiping from the left or right side of the face/home screen changes the watch face? You can use this to change it without using your iPhone. Hope this helps

Post Reply