Kitchen features

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
westie

Re: Kitchen features

Post by westie »

mentioned here numerous times .... insta-hot water at the sink, my last home had it, I miss it a lot.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

daggerboard wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:06 pm For those that have remodeled in recent years - what kitchen features have you added that were esp good / worth mentioning?
- Microwave that is also a convection over. It's perfect for baking small things (garlic bread, chicken nuggets, snacks) that don't require heating up the large range.
- Some base cabinets that are all drawers. Perfect for stacking heavy plates and bowls.
- Stove vent that vents outside.
- Under cabinet lights ( added last minute and can't imagine not having them now).
- Single basin sink for washing large dishes and pans.
[/quote]
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

westie wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:02 am mentioned here numerous times .... insta-hot water at the sink, my last home had it, I miss it a lot.
If you have a Keurig, run it without a cup. Works perfect for my oatmeal and tea!
goaties

Post by goaties »

deleted
Last edited by goaties on Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Lemon

Post by Lucky Lemon »

Nearly A Moose wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:59 pm Does anyone have experience with drawer-style dishwashers? I've seen them popping up in high-end renovations, and we have sets of them in our office breakrooms. Basically, it's two drawers, each of which is the same width but half the height of a standard dishwasher, and you can run them separately. I've always thought it might be nice to be able to run a "half load" say after breakfast without tying up the entire dishwasher for the next 4 hours.
My experience is 5+ years ago, when I frequently stayed at a resort where most of the condos had the Fisher & Paykel dishwasher drawers.

My first impression of them was positive, although they seemed difficult to load efficiently. After the first few stays problems started showing up - 12 hours to run a cycle, not fully draining when done, one drawer would stop working, etc. Two trips in a row the dishwasher drawers totally stopped working and were replaced mid- stay.

Within a few years most of the condos had replaced the dishwasher drawers with a traditional dishwasher. The condo complex was 2-3 years old when we first started going there so I would say most of the dishwashers were replaced between 5 and 7 years.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Lucky Lemon wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:54 pm My experience is 5+ years ago, when I frequently stayed at a resort where most of the condos had the Fisher & Paykel dishwasher drawers.
Could just be the brand because someone I know with a Fisher & Paykel refrigerator had to have multiple repairs on it and there were some real design flaws, such as condensation inside and outside and poor shelf placement and storage organization including no good place to put ice trays in the freezer. Initial cost and repairs both were much higher than seemed reasonable, even if it had been of better quality all-around, but especially given how thoroughly substandard it was. It did look nice, except for the dripping water.
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

I've seen a lot of good comments/responses. Didn't go through them all but i haven't seen one item we love - USB plugs (along with electrical outlets) under the cabinets. Great for charging phones/ipads/etc.

pull out drawers are phenomenal as well. a lot of kitchens end up with dead cabinet space, but the pull out drawers are great at utilizing these areas.
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

We got an "Insinkerator" filtered water tap that dispenses room-temperature or boiling water. I make coffee with it every morning and tea every night. It's great! :happy

We got a range hood (900CFM) with reasonable power. Excellent!

Definitely install a dish soap dispenser -- they're only like $25 and so convenient.

Use plug strips under the cabinets instead of ugly plugs in the backsplash.

We put in a pretty big appliance barn that is great -- holds a toaster oven and a food processor and hides them when not in use.

We got a single stainless sink with a drain in the corner instead of the center. It's easier to clean, and by offsetting the disposall the space under the sink becomes more useful and your instant boiling water easier to install. :sharebeer
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

We are doing a remodel now. almost finished! no lazy susans in the corners (we lost a little space) but went with a three drawer corner unit. smaller spice and pan racks next to the stove and an island with garbage cans built into it.
We had a very small galley kitchen and moved our kitchen to a different room.
Went with a single sink instead of a double. Love it!
Used Kraft made cabinets maple biscotti finish.